• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Which Inscrutable Nintendo Business Decision Are You?

To be fair both these decisions backfired big on them but there were at least defensible reasons for making those decisions (especially the later one). Something like discontinuing the NES Classic, at least right now, makes no sense unless they need the factories to make more Switches (was there even an overlap in resources) or because they are about to make a move with the Virtual Console (but even then I don't think the last one is a good reason).

Or they'd rather have people buy a Switch than give them a much cheaper alternative to playing Nintendo games.

I got 'Naming The Wii Successor The Wii U' which I think is defensible, insofar as they'd want to name the sequel to their biggest console ever something in the same family. It's not their fault people were too stupid to notice it was something different.

To be fair both these decisions backfired big on them but there were at least defensible reasons for making those decisions (especially the later one). Something like discontinuing the NES Classic, at least right now, makes no sense unless they need the factories to make more Switches (was there even an overlap in resources) or because they are about to make a move with the Virtual Console (but even then I don't think the last one is a good reason).
There is no defensible reason to stick with cartridges other than it would in theory make Nintendo more money by ripping other publishers off. They never fully recovered from that blow to this day. Reason #1 why third party support on Nintendo consoles was never the same.

Or they'd rather have people buy a Switch than give them a much cheaper alternative to playing Nintendo games.

I got 'Naming The Wii Successor The Wii U' which I think is defensible, insofar as they'd want to name the sequel to their biggest console ever something in the same family. It's not their fault people were too stupid to notice it was something different.
ummmm no, if they wanted to be clear it was a sequel they could've called it the wii 2

the name is indefensible and coupled with their ad campaigns that almost exclusively focused on the gamepad and the console when it was shown basically looked like a rounder wii it is even more stupid

Clov

I think if they just named it "Wii 2" or something it would have at least helped the general public realize "Oh, it's a new Wii!" instead of "Is this a new controller for my Wii?" Not that that would have solved the many, many other issues the console had.

I got taking the headphone jack out of the GBASP. I didn't actually know they did that, since I never upgraded my original GBA.

meirl

Banned
img_6978qyj8a.png

Works for me on mobile.

I liked that one person in the Kotaku comments was like "I got the headphone jack on the Gameboy SP answer because I said hot dogs ARE a sandwich but ketchup on hot dogs is a TRAVESTY" and I got the same answer for saying hot dogs are NOT a sandwich and ketchup is totally awesome on them.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I didn't know anything about most of these questions and as a result, I am Friend Codes On The Switch. Makes sense.

Between me defaulting to the only topping I liked in the pizza question if I had to eat it on a 1 topping pizza, and only picking Sheeran because thats the only one I know from that list....to picking the Rihanna pic that showed off her shape in a flattering way....

Yea..it makes sense now, lol.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I wish it worked on mobile. ;(
????

It works on my Sony Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1) just fine.

I got Dropping the Headphone Jack On the Game Boy Advance SP which was a dumb decision back than and it's​ still a dumb decision now with Apple pulling the same stunt on it's new iPhones.

I liked that one person in the Kotaku comments was like "I got the headphone jack on the Gameboy SP answer because I said hot dogs ARE a sandwich but ketchup on hot dogs is a TRAVESTY" and I got the same answer for saying hot dogs are NOT a sandwich and ketchup is totally awesome on them.

The quiz probably generates a random response for you regardless of your input much like how Nintendo makes their business decisions

jviggy43

Kotaku must have been reading that Nintendo thread we had going last week regarding the company's most baffling decision.

Oh also I am naming the second Wii, Wii U.

Wait, they dropped the headphone jack on Gameboy Advance SP? Nintendo really is a courageous company

And think about the era this was in. There were no smartphones. There was no mainstream talk of bluetooth. It was the early 2000s. Having a portable CD player was still a big deal.

I can't even think of an analogy that fits today.

TransTrender

Gold Member
LoL.
Dropping the Headphone Jack On the Game Boy Advance SP

Also thanks Kotaku for reminding me I hated reading all those books in High School and especially for reminding me of that real piece of shit A Separate Peace. The name escaped me for 18 years but now I can relive the hate.

Rodin

Lmao

Dropping the Headphone Jack On the Game Boy Advance SP

You know what everyone wants out of their handheld console? No ability to plug in headphones in public. The Game Boy Advance SP was a smaller version of the Game Boy Advance. It's an adorable little console that you can't take anywhere. Sure, you could get headphones specifically designed for the GBA SP or get an adapter, but that uses the same port as the AC adapter. As we all know, everyone loves that option.

I never even noticed this, mostly because i don't use portable consoles when i'm out (i also never used headphones with portable consoles back then). So Apple was 13 years late?

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
I've frequented Kotaku for years now but lately they really seem to have it out for Nintendo. Even articles they have about good things have to take a jab at Nintendo for any mistakes they've made.

Top Bottom