• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Which Inscrutable Nintendo Business Decision Are You?

Got the GBA SP one (fitting because I love that system but the lack of headphone jack makes me irrationally angry).

This was amazing, good job Gita and Kotaku.

Ducktail

This Quiz is a stroke of genius.

I'm the friend code on the Switch. I'm actually baffled this still exists... I assumed they had gotten rid of it after all of the backlash on the WiiU. This is absurd.

Instro

I don't understand why people hate friend codes so much.

They are like phone numbers, you enter them into your phone once, then it doesn't matter anymore. Plus having your account tied to some number, means than multiple people can have the same name, so you don't need to have people like xX-Goku9720-Xx just to have a unique name. It also means if you want to change your name it should be free, since its only really your number that means anything.

It's not a big deal, and there is some really good positives.

Well you can do the same thing in any number of ways that doesn't require a completely separate 12 digit number. It's not even the problem anyway, no one would even care if Nintendo made it easier to search for and add friends, rather than just only having the option of entering a friend code.

This Quiz is a stroke of genius.

I'm the friend code on the Switch. I'm actually baffled this still exists... I assumed they had gotten rid of it after all of the backlash on the WiiU. This is absurd.
Wii U didn't have friend codes and id numbers are used in mobile games and steam

Solo Act

Inscrutable? Isn't that kinda racist?

True story: I'm very much looking forward to the explanation of how an "inscrutable business decision" is racist.

I often think to myself, while loading up GAF, how I'm looking forward to seeing what video game story is offensive, discriminatory, or racist today. I'm not even being sarcastic. I love watching this stuff play out on this board and cannot wait to hear how this is racist.

...and I got the Friend Code on Switch

Trogdor1123

True story: I'm very much looking forward to the explanation of how an "inscrutable business decision" is racist.

I often think to myself, while loading up GAF, how I'm looking forward to seeing what video game story is offensive, discriminatory, or racist today. I'm not even being sarcastic. I love watching this stuff play out on this board and cannot wait to hear how this is racist.

...and I got the Friend Code on Switch
Haha, me too. I love the fake outrage!

I think I know why Nintendo stopped manufacturing NES Classic. They want to create a sense of rarity and exclusivity for that line of product.

Expect SNES Classic to sell 3 millions at launch with no trouble at all.

Ducktail

Wii U didn't have friend codes and id numbers are used in mobile games and steam

You're right, that was on Wii. I'm sorry.

Most mobile games let you add friends simply by connecting it to Facebook, while in steam you can search for an user handle too.

It's still unjustifiable.

Result: Naming The Follow-Up To The Wii The Wii U

That is probably also what I think is the worst, although there has been quite a few terrible ones.

Cyborg

I respect Nintendo as a company, they have a mission/vission set for the company and no matter what they dont change it.

At the same time... someone should wake them up.

There's a harmful stereotype of the "inscrutable oriental", alien and untrustworthy. Fu Manchu and similar stuff.

Dude, I'm as woke as the best of 'em but come on. Inscrutable is a word and is a word that applies here. Calling it loaded is stretching to say the least.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't understand why people hate friend codes so much.

They are like phone numbers, you enter them into your phone once, then it doesn't matter anymore. Plus having your account tied to some number, means than multiple people can have the same name, so you don't need to have people like xX-Goku9720-Xx just to have a unique name. It also means if you want to change your name it should be free, since its only really your number that means anything.

It's not a big deal, and there is some really good positives.

It was a chore in the Wii Era where every game had a different friend code, but I agree, the implementation since then has just been "one and done". Its no different to identifying yourself as a Steam user ID. That said, it is kinda hilarious that the Wii U removed them entirely, only for Switch to bring them back.

Haha this is pretty amazing. I got the 'Dropping the Headphone Jack On the Game Boy Advance SP', they were truly ahead of the times.

Regiruler

Considering its 2017 and I still need to ask someone for their friend code just to add them as a friend is bad, not as bad as the Wii or 3ds but still pretty bad.
The reason it's considered so terrible is because it's a direct downgrade from the system present on Wii U.

I'm Friend Codes on the Switch. Are they really still doing that? Jesus holy shit that's dumb.

its only a temp thing for now, when the full online launch happens, you will have other other ways to add people, and unlike the wii and 3ds, on the switch only the person wanting to add you as a friend needs your friend code, you can accept friend accepts the same way you do on psn and xbox live

Inscrutable? Isn't that kinda racist?

in·scru·ta·ble
inˈskro͞odəb(ə)l/
adjective
impossible to understand or interpret.
"Guy looked blankly inscrutable"
synonyms: enigmatic, mysterious, unreadable, inexplicable, unexplainable, incomprehensible, impenetrable, unfathomable, unknowable;

Top Bottom