• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Something i re

Couple settings questions:

Gamma -1 for movies and games, 0 for HDR?

Im starting to see a lot of auto for black on tv and rgb range? Is this now where we stand?

Where did we end up on dynamic contrast for hdr? A firm no?

Color space leave on auto all the time now?

I changed my whit balance rgain to 9 and bgain to -9 like the avforums video said. I think this is something more personal to your panel right? I have a wow calibration disc but need time to do it tmrw

Ive watched everyone flip flop, and this seems to be the latest from what i can gather. This would be on this tv with a pro obviously.
Seems like only settings people are changing for hdr is contrast and backlight to max
Tinker. Go with what you like.

I keep a little notepad where I record my preferred settings for various content. Games vary by game (not just HDR vs Non-HDR).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What is the consensus on special viewing mode? I keep going back and forth.
HDR+ is shit, don't use it... it's not really HDR.

Game mode is best for games, but it doesn't automatically adjust settings for HDR... so you have to do the backlight and contrast adjusting manually.

Haines

Banned
Last of us looked amazing.

Having issues with blacks on this tv in non hdr games. Wondering if it has to do with the black level and rgb settings. I just have them on auto.

MazeHaze

Banned
Last of us looked amazing.

Having issues with blacks on this tv in non hdr games. Wondering if it has to do with the black level and rgb settings. I just have them on auto.

I use hdmi black level normal on tv menu and rgb full in pS4 menu. Ps4 auto always defaults to limited for some reason.

Haines

Banned
Can you pull this up on your browser?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Thanks ill use that tmrw when calibrating.

Its kind of crazy to me everyone is still reccomending different settings.

I keep flipping between auto/auto and full/normal on until dawn, but the blacks are so bloody....black lol

Going to leave them on auto for now and try to trust the roectronics to take care of it.

Might throw on dark knight. It looked like garbage on my last tv so that will help me see how this is fairing,

SeanR1221

Thanks ill use that tmrw when calibrating.

Its kind of crazy to me everyone is still reccomending different settings.

I keep flipping between auto/auto and full/normal on until dawn, but the blacks are so bloody....black lol

I think it's important to distinguish what kinds of blacks you are getting.

Crushed blacks will be pure black. There's no detail in the black.

If things are too washed out you'll see the details but the black parts will be closer to grey (this was my old tv)

Right now the blacks are black but the details are still there. Similar to if I looked at something at night.

Does Until Dawn have a brightness meter? I know in every game that does the "barely visible" part is always actually barely visible. On my old tv it was very visible.

Haines

Banned
Yeah i hear what you are saying.

Hose brightness meters always fuck with me. I always have to put it brighter than they ask or the game is unplayable.

Ill mess with some games and reread some posts on the boack and rgb settings.

Tmrw i will try and do a wow disc calibration. That might help.

My backlight is at 7 in a dark room right now.

SeanR1221

Yeah i hear what you are saying.

Hose brightness meters always fuck with me. I always have to put it brighter than they ask or the game is unplayable.

Ill mess with some games and reread some posts on the boack and rgb settings.

Tmrw i will try and do a wow disc calibration. That might help.

My backlight is at 7 in a dark room right now.

I'm reinstalling until dawn to see how it looks :)

Haines

Banned
Im actually thinking until dawn just sucks in the blacks department,
Batman looks fantastic on netflix right now. Blacks are totally fine.

For almost no calibration and just tweaking some settings, ive been very impressed.

Last of us hdr was proof that shits real. 1800p 60 mode is great and switching it to 4k native just to see was jaw dropping, but i couldnt do the 30 fps.

Titanfall looks so clear at 1440p. I thought downsampling looked good but wow.

Going to get the netflix app on the tv going. Any body know what looks good on it in uhd or hdr?

D23

I'm playing in the moderate lit room and I have to have dynamic contrast on medium or low, otherwise the picture looks way too dark. But if I play in a pitch black room, I prefer to have it off..

What's your guys take on this?

Also... is infamous have problem with crushed black?

Filth

Anyway to check what the tv is outputting at while in a game? I can always go to pspro settings but im not sure its thats the dashboard or the game ?

thuway

When I connect my television to my PC I have some strange flickering issues!

In the Nvidia control panel if I activate 4:4:4 or RGB Full my monitor will flicker on and off. I'm connecting everything HDMI and UHD on. Any one else notice this anomaly?

dcx4610

I do Smart LED low (I hate the dimming on high), Dynamic Contrast Off and everyone else on default.

HDR looks good in Infamous, it's just not mind blowing. Don't expect a game changer but it DOES look nice.

It's just not a big leap like we want it to be but I'd definitely rather have HDR than not. It's more life-like.

dcx4610

I'm playing in the moderate lit room and I have to have dynamic contrast on medium or low, otherwise the picture looks way too dark. But if I play in a pitch black room, I prefer to have it off..

Dynamic contrast off here. It's not natural and oversaturates the picture. I'd up the backlight instead if you want a brighter picture in the afternoon.

Infamous looks fine to me. It's definitely darker with HDR turned on but that's because every light source controls the brightness with HDR where with it off, everything is a uniform brightness.

MazeHaze

Banned
When I connect my television to my PC I have some strange flickering issues!

In the Nvidia control panel if I activate 4:4:4 or RGB Full my monitor will flicker on and off. I'm connecting everything HDMI and UHD on. Any one else notice this anomaly?
Sounds like low quality hdmi cable that cant fully handle that much data.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

HDR is meant for basically pitch black rooms. Dynamic contrast just brightens the image so of course it looks better if you have light in the room.

Haines

Banned
Yeah I just sat here and flipped DC on and off in last of us in a dim area

It takes the range out of it. You notice the entire screen go bright.

I think I'm going to keep playing with it off.

I hope other games match up to TLOU hdr bc man am I in love.

I feel like outside of some calibrating personal to my panel I have the settings where I want them

The one thing I want to look into more opinions are is auto motion plus for movies. I know it's a big nono but I have seen some places say some of it should be used and this tv seems to suffer from some motion blur without it in movies.

I hope other games match up to TLOU hdr bc man am I in love.

I feel like outside of some calibrating personal to my panel I have the settings where I want them

The one thing I want to look into more opinions are is auto motion plus for movies. I know it's a big nono but I have seen some places say some of it should be used and this tv seems to suffer from some motion blur without it in movies.

Have you tried Ratchet and Clank? If you think TLOU is good...

I was never aware of input lag and apparently my previous tv was pretty good in that regard.
But wow, this is unplayable outside of gamemode, butter smooth when activated though.

So when do new TVs normally get released? That's probably the time when older models get cheaper, right? So I'm interested in the KS8000 but as a
poor
student I don't want to buy an expensive TV and see it way cheaper 3 months later.
Not really following the TV market (both price and technology), so would be nice to hear when it's the "best" time to get one.

They announce them at CES in January and release them few months later.

coopolon

I was never aware of input lag and apparently my previous tv was pretty good in that regard.
But wow, this is unplayable outside of gamemode, butter smooth when activated though.

Yeah, I wanted to use movie mode so I wouldn't have to change my backlight back and forth for hdr but it's awful, I've never thought myself to be particularly sensitive but it was really bad.

Game mode feels fine though for anyone worried before buying.

SeanR1221

Played around with RGB a bit. When going from auto to limited nothing changes. From auto to fill it changes. Telling me the PS4 wants to be on limited for this tv (but I can definitely be wrong and am open to corrections).

Heads up again this tv will be 979.00 at Costco starting today. That's a crazy good price! Going for my adjustment today.

Maybe I enabled some setting somewhere but does anyone know why when I turn the TV on it automatically turns my Xbox One S on?

It's really irritating lol.

See, its kind of the opposite for me.
When I turn the PS4 Pro on, thwe TV switches to HDMI One where the PS4 is plugged in.
I havent got any options turned on to enable this and no one seems to be able to tell me if it happens to them as well.

Dzab

I hope other games match up to TLOU hdr bc man am I in love...

Would you mind sharing your HDR settings? I'm struggling to get it looking any different. Would be much appreciated!

Haines

Banned
Would you mind sharing your HDR settings? I'm struggling to get it looking any different. Would be much appreciated!

Ill post my settings up tonight. Im finding some stuff looking great, and other things like netflix a very soft image.

Taking the kids out swimming, than spending the evening running through my wow disc calibration.

Hdr needs backlight and contrast max. I set gamma to 0

The games will force a hdr pop up on top left of your tv

See, its kind of the opposite for me.
When I turn the PS4 Pro on, thwe TV switches to HDMI One where the PS4 is plugged in.
I havent got any options turned on to enable this and no one seems to be able to tell me if it happens to them as well.

Turn off the setting called Aynet+ or CEC

SeanR1221

So I took some time and tried comparing RGB limited/less to full/normal and I literally can't tell a difference. I'm splitting hairs at this point and will no longer touch the settings!!!! I swear :)

*except when I bump backlight up on HDR lol

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
So I took some time and tried comparing RGB limited/less to full/normal and I literally can't tell a difference. I'm splitting hairs at this point and will no longer touch the settings!!!! I swear :)

When I'm using YUV420, switching between limited and full literally has no effect. The screen doesn't even go black for a second to reset, nothing.

lt519

By the way the 60" just dropped to $850 with the EPP and back down to $720 for the 55". I think the 65" dropped a good amount too.

Very tempted to return my Best Buy purchase and give Samsung shipping one more chance, I'm a masochist. The alternative is I wait patiently for a better deal and credit card match as $1179 seems like the official new price.

Dzab

Ill post my settings up tonight. Im finding some stuff looking great, and other things like netflix a very soft image.

Taking the kids out swimming, than spending the evening running through my wow disc calibration.

Hdr needs backlight and contrast max. I set gamma to 0

The games will force a hdr pop up on top left of your tv

Look forward to seeing those settings. Much appreciated.

Yeah, Shadow Warrior 2 on the PC looked great, Amazon video HDR stuff looked incredible but just hoping it's an issue with my settings.

III-V

I use hdmi black level normal on tv menu and rgb full in pS4 menu. Ps4 auto always defaults to limited for some reason.

That is not accurate.

In all auto on the PS4 pro on a non-HDR game, the PS4 Pro will output in RGB full.

Otherwise, in an HDR enabled game, the PS4 Pro will output in limited ALWAYS, regardless of PS4 Pro settings, so make sure your TV set is also in limited (auto will work as well).

See above. and make sure your set is in limited (auto should work) when playing HDR games.

Docpan

I keep my Samsung tv on PC mode for my pro. Seems like a more clean image then I can just go in and tweak a few things like contrast and sharpness. Any inherent problems with this method?

SeanR1221

That is not accurate.

In all auto on the PS4 pro on a non-HDR game, the PS4 Pro will output in RGB full.

Otherwise, in an HDR enabled game, the PS4 Pro will output in limited ALWAYS, regardless of PS4 Pro settings, so make sure your TV set is also in limited (auto will work as well).

See above. and make sure your set is in limited (auto should work) when playing HDR games.

If it's going to be switching around like that, wouldn't it make sense to just keep the PS4/tv in limited/less all the time?

III-V

If it's going to be switching around like that, wouldn't it make sense to just keep the PS4/tv in limited/less all the time?

For the PS4 Pro:

No, because you want 2160p RGB (RGB Range: FULL) 8-bit when playing non-HDR games.

My recommendation would be to leave the PS4 tp auto, and the set to auto.

SeanR1221

For the PS4 Pro:

No, because you want 2160p RGB (RGB Range: FULL) 8-bit when playing non-HDR games.

My recommendation would be to leave the PS4 tp auto, and the set to auto.

So everything in auto. Got it

I'm guessing then it will go 2160 RGB for non HDR and auto switch to YUV on HDR games?

III-V

So everything in auto. Got it

I'm guessing then it will go 2160 RGB for non HDR and will auto switch to YUV422 on HDR games?

Yes, when HDR is enabled from the game, the PS4 Pro will switch automatically, and when you quit that game will go back to RGB Full 8-bit.

If you see any color banding while in HDR enabled YUV422, then you will need to force YUV420 every time you want to game with HDR. Not all sets will have this issue, but some do.

Top Bottom