• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyrie Irving wants to be traded from the Cavs LeBron blindsided

Aldridge?

I don't know how to calculate the value on that one though.

Why the hell do you want Aldridge if you are Cleveland? He's also 32 when they are likely looking at a rebuild, and they already have big money locked into Love and Thompson. If Kyrie's wants out they have another year or two to trade him. Unless someone blows them away with an offer, they don't have to settle for a crap offer like LMA or Melo or Eric Bledsoe.

As a Laker fan, I want no part of a Year 16 LeBron on my team of young up and comers.

But I don't make the FO decisions so, not much I can do there.

giphy.gif

Man what a shit spot for Cavs to be in, do they try to trade for the best available player right now (say, Melo) or go for draft picks for the future to prepare for Lebron to leave?

I would not trust Gilbert to navigate this tricky situation at all haha

J2 Cool

Crazy dramatic ESPN headline. Kyrie's kind of stupid to leave, guess its pre-emptive for when Lebron bolts.

Still, I think he's overvalued at this point. He's pretty inefficient, bad defender, iso-baller. Making any team "his team" really isn't going to be a great move. Doubt he will have even Harden's level of success as team leader.

jdstorm

Banned
Nah. Only to haters.

Sometimes, it actually does matter who you're playing with and who you're facing. LeBron is set as an all time top 5 great. The position is secure.

Is it. With one more finals loss Lebron would have a 3-6 Finals record and arguably two of those championships deserve asterix's. Meanwhile Lebron's scoring stats are worse then Durants and his Defense isn't Kawhi Leonard level.

There is a real danger that Lebron's legacy becomes that of a top 20 player who coasted through the east and was a career finals loser who couldnt get it done when it mattered.

I like Lebron and think he probably deserves that top 5 spot, but that narative will be hard to ignore, especially if Kawhi or Durant end up with 3 or 4 rings and a positive finals record.

ApharmdX

Banned
Good, this is better for him because playing with LeBron never made him any better, like they all pretend LeBron does for teammates. Love needs to demand a trade as well because playing with LeBron has actually made Love's game worse. Kyrie needs great players that don't fucking cry nor give up when things aren't going their way. Leaving LeBron is a blessing in disguise for Kyrie.

giphy.gif

You don't really believe this... do you?

Cavs are gonna be the Kevin Love era T-wolves pretty soon.

Maybe they trade him to the Pelicans. Kyrie, Davis, and Boogie would be pretty sick.

Maddocks

As a Laker fan, I want lebron so we can pass up Boston in banners. That way I can fly to Boston and put a Lakers hat on reds statue while smoking a cigar. We will give you a statue lebron, we can replace shaqs head with yours!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lebron not going to get involved:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ene-cleveland-cavaliers-decision-kyrie-irving

LeBron James intends to let the Cleveland Cavaliers front office and owner Dan Gilbert take the lead in dealing with Kyrie Irving's trade demands, sources told ESPN.

Both the franchise and James were rocked when Irving asked the team to trade him last week. James was informed after Irving told the Cavaliers and was unaware of the guard's feelings, sources said.

As the Cavs consider their options, sources said James has expressed to the team that he is focused on his offseason workout regimen and is planning to report to training camp with the intention of leading his teammates to a fourth consecutive Finals -- no matter who those teammates are.

Is it. With one more finals loss Lebron would have a 3-6 Finals record and arguably two of those championships deserve asterix's. Meanwhile Lebron's scoring stats are worse then Durants and his Defense isn't Kawhi Leonard level.

There is a real danger that Lebron's legacy becomes that of a top 20 player who coasted through the east and was a career finals loser who couldnt get it done when it mattered.

I like Lebron and think he probably deserves that top 5 spot, but that narative will be hard to ignore, especially if Kawhi or Durant end up with 3 or 4 rings and a positive finals record.

Lmao do much uninformed delusion in one post. lmao "top 20 player". "Asterisks".

The hot take era has ruined basketball discussion forever.

I think I was pretty gotdamn clear on my position.

Would rather see the young guys try and build something together. Let that guy go play someplace else.

Ehhh...no thanks. The later on in years he gets, the more susceptible to major injury.

Yeah, we get your position, we just think it's insane. It's not often that the best player of his generation offers to come to your team. You don't even think twice about that, you just accept it unconditionally.

Is there increased injury risk as he ages? Sure. But you mostly just need him to be healthy for the playoffs, everything else is just gravy.

I don't think the Cavs trade him. They're the East favorite so you don't make your team worse this year. If LeBron leaves you trade him next year. I don't think LeBron leaves, at least not to a team in the West. There's not a team you can put together that will have a better chance at winning a championship.

jdstorm

Banned
Lmao do much uninformed delusion in one post. lmao "top 20 player". "Asterisks".

Say Lebron, Kawhi and Durant all finish with 3 Championships. Why would lebron be considered better then either of them?

Not hating, just asking a genuine question.

Yeah, we get your position, we just think it's insane. It's not often that the best player of his generation offers to come to your team. You don't even think twice about that, you just accept it unconditionally.

Like I said, Magic and Pelinka will make those choices so it doesn't really matter what I think/want.

Say Lebron, Kawhi and Durant all finish with 3 Championships. Why would lebron be considered better then either of them?

Not hating, just asking a genuine question.

Yes. LeBron is legitimately one of the 3 best players in NBA history already. His legacy is secure. He has zero to prove. Rings are important, but ring count is an absolutely shit way to gauge one player against another.

ApharmdX

Banned
Woj reporting Kyrie wants to go to the Spurs.

he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point

Funny part is, that doesn't make a bit of sense. The Spurs already have a top-5 player. Kyrie would be second fiddle there too, just like he is in Cleveland. Kawhi has a higher usage rate than LeBron, I think? This whole thing is a bit of a laugher.

Kusagari

After next season Bron, Kyrie and Love could all be out of the East.

Congratulations to the Celtics on their next couple East championship wins before getting blown out in 4 in the finals.

Jarate

Banned
I'm honestly trying to think of a team that desperately needs a PG, and has the assets to acquire Irving

Fuck it, trade Kyrie for TJ McConnell, who says no?

jdstorm

Banned
Yes. LeBron is legitimately one of the 3 best players on NBA history already. His legacy is secure. He has zero to prove.

Lol. Doubling down on the statement being discussed isnt proof of anything.

What reasons would someone have to rank Lebron over Durant or Leonard assuming they all end up with 3 rings?

Lol. Doubling down on the statement being discussed isnt proof of anything.

What reasons would someone have to rank Lebron over Durant or Leonard assuming they all end up with 3 rings?

He is a better all around player than either of them? He is maybe the greatest all around player ever? What other reason do you need? Why the fuck is ring count so important? Is Horace Grant better than Charles Barkley?

Jarate

Banned
After next season Bron, Kyrie and Love could all be out of the East.

Congratulations to the Celtics on their next couple East championship wins before getting blown out in 4 in the finals.

The Bucks should be able to compete, and the Sixers are looking good. Toronto still has its core as well, and Washington still has John Wall on its team.

Boston should be the favorites this year in the east, but Giannis is ridiculous

firelogic

I don't think the Cavs trade him. They're the East favorite so you don't make your team worse this year. If LeBron leaves you trade him next year. I don't think LeBron leaves, at least not to a team in the West. There's not a team you can put together that will have a better chance at winning a championship.

If LBJ leaves, it's going to be for a team in the West. Why would he leave Cleveland for another team in the East? They're all garbage. Lebron could take the EC playoffs off and sit on the bench wearing a suit and the Cavs would still make the Finals.

Nafai1123

Banned
Funny part is, that doesn't make a bit of sense. The Spurs already have a top-5 player. Kyrie would be second fiddle there too, just like he is in Cleveland. Kawhi has a higher usage rate than LeBron, I think? This whole thing is a bit of a laugher.

Plus Kawhi and Kyrie are mainly ISO guys. Kawhi can create for others, but not like Lebron. I don't know how well that would work. Never underestimate Pop though....

Trey

Hardly. It was always this way, just easier to see people's goofy opinions.

In fact, basketball discussion has never been so varied and enlightened. You have fans who have never so much as played in a rec league game talking about specific plays and a players efficiency defending the pick N roll.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm honestly trying to think of a team that desperately needs a PG, and has the assets to acquire Irving

Fuck it, trade Kyrie for TJ McConnell, who says no?

Milwaukee needs a PG and can offer Delly, Monroe's expiring contract and 3 years worth of picks. Assuming you are also trading Kevin Love that is a great deal for Cleveland.

Top Bottom