• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyrie Irving wants to be traded from the Cavs LeBron blindsided

Darkman M

Pardon the ignorance, but why is everybody so sure that Bron is leaving next year? What did I miss?

He hates his teams owner, Cavs can't beat golden stat for the foreseeable future, why not test out a lag market for post basketball career. Anythings possible though i guess he could be back but seems unlikely.

yuraya

Pardon the ignorance, but why is everybody so sure that Bron is leaving next year? What did I miss?

You missed him getting destroyed by the Warriors in the finals. And being stuck on a team with no future of any kind while being bogged down by a bunch of terrible contracts. Plus he bailed twice already when he saw that his teams weren't winning shit. He will do it a 3rd time most likely.

A lot of smoke in the way of media/source leaks, a strained relationship between Bron and Gilbert, and LeBron taking a reduced role in terms of free agent recruitment and decisions. The fact that Cleveland shopped Love all summer, and now Kyrie is asking out, is not all coincidental. It seems like all parties involved are getting ready for a Bron/Cavs split and preparing accordingly.

Cheebo

Banned
Presumably, Kyrie would be replaced by sufficient talent. Depends on who it is and how well they play together, of course.

Kyries trade value took a hit the minute he requested to be traded. Cavs lost some leverage the minute that happened. They are highly unlikely to get assets that are equal to Kyrie's value at this point.

Kyries trade value took a hit the minute he requested to be traded. Cavs lost some leverage the minute that happened. They are highly unlikely to get assets that are equal to Kyrie's value at this point.

He's got 3 years left on his deal. The Cavs have all the leverage.

Furyous

Kyrie for Anthony Davis? What the fuck are y'all smoking and why haven't you shared some with ya boy

Damn let me dream. Ky for Anthony Davis would be the greatest trade in Cavs history.

Since I'm dreaming tell me this trade wouldn't make Bron stay:

kyrie + love + Thompson for Westbrook + George + Adams

Bron stays in Cleveland if we make this trade. Bring in DRose and #Cavstape is back. Bring back the fierce wine and gold jerseys from the mid 2000s and watch us return to the finals with a vengeance.

jdstorm

Banned
Dude, hop off the Greg Monroe shit, please.

Sure. I can agree to disagree. Since it won't happen there isn't much point analysing it anyway.

Kyrie has 3 years left on his deal. Unless he physically refuses to suit up no team really gives a crap what he has to say about where he wants to play.

rambis

Banned
So the Warriors really are collapsing the league huh. Damn, that's fucked.
While I don't he wouldve stayed for a 3peat try if they had won, I doubt the Warriors are the catalyst here.

No matter how good he actually is, Kyrie is an alpha type. He's not the type to play second or sometimes even 3rd fiddle. You have to remember Kobe is his biggest mentor.

Bron on the other hand seems obsessed with beating the Warriors.

Ryaaan14

Banned
DRose can't catch a fuckin break god DAMN

All week he was probably thinkin he could finally get a ring goin to Cleveland now this shit happens lmao

He's got 3 years left on his deal. The Cavs have all the leverage.

short and sweet.

Ok, that was pretty good.
cheers man. trying to keep it light

Damn let me dream. Ky for Anthony Davis would be the greatest trade in Cavs history.

Bron stays in Cleveland if we make this trade. Bring in DRose and #Cavstape is back. Bring back the fierce wine and gold jerseys from the mid 2000s and watch us return to the finals with a vengeance.

"Momma I got dreams, but dreams don't keep the lights on."
- Little Brother

JCizzle

Maybe they can also create a time machine and trade for MJ in his prime at the same time!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
While I don't he wouldve stayed for a 3peat try if they had won, I doubt the Warriors are the catalyst here.

No matter how good he actually is, Kyrie is an alpha type. He's not the type to play second or sometimes even 3rd fiddle. You have to remember Kobe is his biggest mentor.
I too doubt that the Warriors are the primary factor here...but they have something to do with him potentially leaving before his contract is more than halfway through.

So they've now played a part in ruining 3 franchises - OKC, LAC (kinda), and Cleveland.

Jarate

Banned
Greg Monroe gave up 58% on FGs attempted within 10ft of the basket last season. Thats equivalent to 1.16 points per shot and if that was the only shot ever attempted it would be a 116DRTG.

Last season the Warriors had a 117 ORTG on the season. And the best teams had lineups that were in the 130. Based on last seasons numbers of lineups that played 100+ minutes, Toronto, Portland, Cleveland, Goldenstate and Houston all would have been able to put lineups on the floor that would have had a +10NRTG while maintaining a 116DRTG.

So having Monroe defend the paint and rebound is still able to produce acceptible lineups.

You're forgetting that while being a massive net negative on the defensive end, he's also not that good offensively.

The Bucks have been trying to trade him for 2 years. His value is nonexistent outside of a matching expiring contract

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Here's what you have to hope for

You have to hope Kyrie has learned enough from LeBron and that with a system in place, and with a good coach in place, he'll be better over a full 82 than what minutes without LeBron would suggest. But this is something you hope to see without the guarantee of it.

I'd like Kyrie in San Antonio because of the pieces that are there and the coach. That could work. But then, what could San Antonio even give up that Cleveland would want.

SA would require a 3rd team who wants LA so they could get something for the Cavs. Who wants LA with any kind of equal value of Kyrie. Nobody that's who.

Kat and giannis are 1000% on that list.

Ask yourself, if NO picked up the phone and said AD straight up for Giannas or KAT. I think I trade either of those guys for him.

I think Russ, Harden, Lebron, Leonard or Durant I'm saying nah, we good.

I'd trade Steph for AD as well.. but that'd be a hard fucking sell to GSW fans.. so they'd say no.

LionPride

Banned
SA would require a 3rd team who wants LA so they could get something for the Cavs. Who wants LA with any kind of equal value of Kyrie. Nobody that's who.

Ask yourself, if NO picked up the phone and said AD straight up for Giannas or KAT. I think I trade either of those guys for him.

I think Russ, Harden, Lebron, Leonard or Durant I'm saying nah, we good.

I'd trade Steph for AD as well.. but that'd be a hard fucking sell to GSW fans.. so they'd say no.
Yeah no

I'm not trading KAT for AD

I'm not trading Giannis for AD

Not ever

jdstorm

Banned
You're forgetting that while being a massive net negative on the defensive end, he's also not that good offensively.

The Bucks have been trying to trade him for 2 years. His value is nonexistent outside of a matching expiring contract

What does this have to do with anything? Stupid teams are going to stupid.

Besides Monroe's trade value is due to the fact that the NBA is flooded with Similar players on cheaper deals so teams would rather have 80% of Monroe's production at 50% of the Sallary. That doesn't change the fact that for a team competing for a championship having the better player is more important then having a cheaper player.

This is doubly true when any proposed trade is mutually beneficial to both parties.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Thats irrelevant if you can score more with him on the court.

Last season some of the leagues best shooters shot >66.67% from 3 in almost 20 games. Thats almost 20 games a year where guys were shooting better from 3 then if they made 100% on open layups.

Interior defense is staring to not matter in the NBA. Why Monroe is useful is because he is a rebounder who can pass. Rebounding is a better defensive skill then defense in this new NBA and Monroe is good at rebounding and getting the ball to openshooters or guys leaking out in transition.

Thats useful.

Plz stop

LionPride

Banned
Thats irrelevant if you can score more with him on the court.

Last season some of the leagues best shooters shot >66.67% from 3 in almost 20 games. Thats almost 20 games a year where guys were shooting better from 3 then if they made 100% on open layups.

Interior defense is staring to not matter in the NBA. Why Monroe is useful is because he is a rebounder who can pass. Rebounding is a better defensive skill then defense in this new NBA and Monroe is good at rebounding and getting the ball to openshooters or guys leaking out in transition.

Thats useful.
Hey

What were the words Donovan said about their tall slow moving center who can't play defense at fucking all? Oh yeah

"We can't play Kanter"

Hint, it's the same fucking thing for Monroe.

Hearing that interior defense doesn't matter makes as much sense as when people say that guard defense straight up does not matter. Shit's dumb.

UFxeIAh.png

Cheebo

Banned
Greg Monroe gave up 58% on FGs attempted within 10ft of the basket last season. Thats equivalent to 1.16 points per shot and if that was the only shot ever attempted it would be a 116DRTG.

Last season the Warriors had a 117 ORTG on the season. And the best teams had lineups that were in the 130. Based on last seasons numbers of lineups that played 100+ minutes, Toronto, Portland, Cleveland, Goldenstate and Houston all would have been able to put lineups on the floor that would have had a +10NRTG while maintaining a 116DRTG.

So having Monroe defend the paint and rebound is still able to produce acceptible lineups.
Explain this then:
Bucks tried to shop Monroe last year like crazy for pennies on the dollar. No team was interested. His contract is considered nearly unreadable because of how bad it is.

He took his player option because he knew he would get far less money.

If he was so great why does no team want him? Why are bucks so desperate to get rid of him?

Nothing you say matches reality. We live in a world where Bucks pay huge money for a center who isn't good enough to crack a starting rotation that they have been trying to get rid of that no team has been willing to take off their hands.

qcf x2

If you were Lebron, would you stay in that dumpster fire of an organization? Especially now that you lost your #2 guy.

Lebron is also thinking about his future. He's apparently a good actor, and wants to go to a bigger market then Cleveland. Might wanna go to LA so he can act as well

If you're concerned about legacy/winning championships, you don't leave the Eastern conference when you're its best player. He and the Cavs have an easy path to the Finals for the foreseeable future, with or without Kyrie.

Not even the Knicks are dumb enough to accept this.

You really wouldn't trade KP straight up for Kyrie? One is a superstar, playoff-proven, NBA champion point guard who isn't even in his prime yet. The other is a guy who has a lot of potential but is whiny, was banged up last season and ran out of gas relatively early into his first season. I like KP's potential, but even then, I don't see him being in Kyrie's class of player unless the stars align for him. And I'm not pretending Kyrie can carry a team, he's still the same ISO scoring, poor defense guard he's always been. But he's a perennial All Star at age 25, and KP might become one someday.

I agree, but the fact that a king's ransom could be tendered was sort of my point.

Like, there was no realistic trade in the league that could have been made to pry players like LeBron, Kobe, AD, KD, MJ etc from their teams during their reigns. Those players only leave because they want to (Shaq, LeBron, Durant come to mind); not because they're asked to leave or because someone offered a player better than them at the position, you know?

Example: Anthony Davis for KAT. New Orleans clearly says no. Minn *clearly* says yes. Or, I would think they would...and with little delay.

KAT and Giannias are close to that level though, but aren't there just yet. Only very slightly below that tier. Give them another year or two.
Bucks/Wolves wouldn't trade Giannis/KAT for AD.

They just not that much worse than AD and are younger and less injury prone. Hell they have skills than AD doesn't(Giannis is better playmaker and KAT is a better shooter)

It still doesn't matter though because the Pelicans wouldn't trade for AD unless they know he is about to walk the year before free agency.

There is just isn't a realistic trade to get those players out of there teams at the moment. Especially since other teams can score them in free agency down the line.

Nobody trades a young potential superstar the same way the wouldn't deal an actual one.

jdstorm

Banned
Hey

What were the words Donovan said about their tall slow moving center who can't play defense at fucking all? Oh yeah

"We can't play Kanter"

Hint, it's the same fucking thing for Monroe.

Hearing that interior defense doesn't matter makes as much sense as when people say that guard defense straight up does not matter. Shit's dumb.

People can be stupid and Billy Donovan's coaching makes Billy King look like Einstein. Guard defense matters more then ever before, interior defense not so much. (Provided you give up less then your opponents average 3pt% )

Fun fact Russell Westbrook, Alex Abrines, Enes Kanter, Andre Roberson and Steven Adams as a 5 man unit last season had a 131.6 ORTG that group played 76 minutes together all season.

Bucks/Wolves wouldn't trade Giannis/KAT for AD.

They just not that much worse than AD and are younger and less injury prone. Hell they have skills than AD doesn't(Giannis is better playmaker and KAT is a better shooter)

It still doesn't matter though because the Pelicans wouldn't trade for AD unless they know he is about to walk the year before free agency.

There is just isn't a realistic trade to get those players out of there teams at the moment. Especially since other teams can score them in free agency down the line.

Nobody trades a young potential superstar the same way the wouldn't deal an actual one.

I would see that going down differently if NO offered it 1:1. But we can agree to disagree.

If you are a Cavs fan it's time to start looking into the 2019 draft and pray the basketball Gods. It's 2011-2014 2.0 time in Cleveland.

Maybe so. But it's a bit early for all that. We'll see what happens soon enough.

Cheebo

Banned
People can be stupid and Billy Donovan's coaching makes Billy King look like Einstein. Guard defense matters more then ever before, interior defense not so much.

Fun fact Russell Westbrook, Alex Abrines, Enes Kanter, Andre Roberson and Steven Adams as a 5 man unit last season had a 131.6ORTG that group played 76 minutes together all season.
They played only 76 minutes because you can't play Kanter and Adams together in a meaningful game.

Period.

Kanter and Monroe are USELESS in most playoff matchups. Monroe would get almost zero minutes against the Warriors in a finals matchup.

Its 2017 not 2003.

jdstorm

Banned
They played only 76 minutes because you can't play Kanter and Adams together in a meaningful game.

Period.

Kanter and Monroe are USELESS in most playoff matchups. Monroe would get almost zero minutes against the Warriors in a finals matchup.

Its 2017 not 2003.

Thats untrue. OKC played Kanter + Adams huge minutes together in the 2016 WCFs vs the Spurs. OKCs closing lineup was often Westbrook Waiters Durant Kanter Adams.

Monroe is admittedly less useful vs GSW but you also recieve Delly in that trade and he is useful vs Curry. Aditionally the key pieces you recieve for trading Kevin Love would be useful for playing against the Warriors. So Monroe's ineffectiveness in that potential series isn't a huge deal.

Edit. For instance take this somewhat plausible hypothetical deal

Milwaukee get Kyrie Irving

Pheonix get Kevin Love and Shump

Cleveland get Greg Monroe, Mathew Deledova, Eric Bledsoe, Jared Dudley and TJ Warren

All of a sudden Cleveland has saved 2M this season (plus whatever luxury tax goes along with that) has gotten younger and more athletic, has a serviceable replacement SF for if Lebron does leave, has a killer smallball unit (Bledsoe Smith Warren Lebron Thompson) and a bench unit featuring Delly, Korver, green, Frye and Monroe.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If for no other reason than because his contract ends next year and he's not happy about some of the front office decisions. And that he likes to troll people on Twitter sometimes. Nobody knows what the fuck LBJ is going to do except LBJ and his people.

As always, he will do what's best for him and his family. As it should be. That's the kind of agency the NBAPA has fought for for decades.

OK...

...but for the record Giannis will be traded eventually (pretty sure by request), and I stand by Minny trading him for AD if they could. But since it's really just that random AD scenario, I agree they're both on the list.

But they most certainly get more solidified on that list as time goes along, barring any lingering health issues.

but they get a Kardashian in that deal. Having a Kardashian at your games is a moral victory for your team every single night. How many teams win before the games even start? Kardashian teams get that!

There is no way they trade kat even if it's ad. Besides KAT is more valuable imo due to his health compared to AD.

Of course a flat earther would want to bolt one dysfunctional organization in the Cleve to head to another one in New York. Kyrie must be smoking something good.

You really wouldn't trade KP straight up for Kyrie? One is a superstar, playoff-proven, NBA champion point guard who isn't even in his prime yet. The other is a guy who has a lot of potential but is whiny, was banged up last season and ran out of gas relatively early into his first season. I like KP's potential, but even then, I don't see him being in Kyrie's class of player unless the stars align for him. And I'm not pretending Kyrie can carry a team, he's still the same ISO scoring, poor defense guard he's always been. But he's a perennial All Star at age 25, and KP might become one someday.
Porzingis potential is too good to pass up to get a guy that is pretty much a finished product especially if I am a rebuilding team like the Knicks.

Player that can both be good rim protectors and shoot the 3 are just not that easy to find.

Top Bottom