• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DevelopmentArrested said:
Ugh.. why did I buy the PS3 version. Over-heating, no PSN store. Fucking garbage.
You bought it because it's a better version. If you don't have a launch unit why do you even care if other peoples' consoles are having problem with the game. Even then, I'm sure this is something that's affecting only a small amount of users on both machines.

Mrbob

DevelopmentArrested said:
Ugh.. why did I buy the PS3 version. Over-heating, no PSN store. Fucking garbage.

So go buy the 360 version then. After that one crashes your system you can cry with me about no PC version.

Nizz

HarryDemeanor said:
Hopefully this fixes the freezing problems I'm having on the X360 version of LA Noire. Just returned the game for another copy and I'm still having problems. Can't even start the game as it freezes between the Team Bondi logo and all the Rockstar copyright text.

After hearing all the great things about this game it's unfortunate that this is happening.

This is messed up news all around. Whatever happened to good ol', thorough QA?

Hyunkel6

What exactly happens to the 360s? Crash as in RROD or/and to turn off unexpectedly? I had absolutely no problems yesterday, but I'm scared to pop in the game now.

GeoramA

Kinda glad I held off buying. I would've been suspicious if there was a problem because my PS3 never gets loud at all, thanks to vacuuming out the vents often.

Ah so it is due to just that single game and not a firmware update.

Brb off to read earlier posts in the thread and laugh at them.

surly

Banned
Riddick said:
Because they're trying to cover their asses. How can it be a coincidence that both 360s and PS3s are overheating? Does 360's firmware have a problem too?
Where has anyone said that 360s are overheating, other than in the thread title?

The original Rockstar page that was taken down only mentioned the PS3 overheating. The new support article they posted mentions neither consoles overheating, but someone from Rockstar says in the comments that "the issues of PS3s overheating appears to be due to the latest Sony firmware update. We recommend contacting Sony if your console is shutting off during play" but again, nothing is mentioned about 360s overheating.

EDIT - The 360 overheating is based on one comment from a single user which seems to have been enough for the thread title to be edited to include the 360 as overheating as well.

Step 1: Finally break down and order L.A. Noire for PS3 from Amazon
Step 2: See whats new on GAF
Step 3: SMH, FML, etc, etc.

You don't have to be a detective to read my facial expression right now.

Vorg

Banned
surly said:
Where has anyone said that 360s are overheating, other than in the thread title?

The original Rockstar page that was taken down only mentioned the PS3 overheating. The new support article they posted mentions neither consoles overheating, but someone from Rockstar says in the comments that "the issues of PS3s overheating appears to be due to the latest Sony firmware update. We recommend contacting Sony if your console is shutting off during play" but again, nothing is mentioned about 360s overheating.

I was wondering this too.

Loudninja

surly said:

EDIT - The 360 overheating is based on one comment from a single user which seems to have been enough for the thread title to be edited to include the 360 as overheating as well.
Ah why do you think they removed the article?

Draft

surly said:
Well, LA Noire is an Xbox game, so it almost certainly is causing some Xboxs to overheat.

surly

Banned
Loudninja said:
Ah why do you think they removed the article?
I don't know, but if it was because they were mistaken, then you wouldn't expect the first reply from Rockstar Support in the comments section of the second (and still existing) article to say this: -

zKjVR.jpg

Dynedom

surly said:

The link that Kagari posted details how to tackle the situation on both PS3 and 360. At least 2 people left comments on that article mentioning how their 360 crashes/freezes too:

FEARINGxDOUBT
I'm trying to play it on the Xbox 360 side without being online but it still freezes in the same spots.

Jayober
I hve an older xbox 360, about 2 summers old now. I haven't had any issues with my xbox and I play at least two-three hours a day. I pop in L.A. Noire and now the game play is glitchy (pop-in textures, colors, cars, floating through the ground under buildings *pretty trippy*). The game has crashed or been rendered unplayable because of these various problems. I have had to replay cases, driving to destinations several times and looked for the same clues over and over again. It's upsetting that a game I have been watching closely since E3 teaser last year and on ign.com for videos and updates has left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. I really hope this gets patched or if it's a localized 'bad batch', mine was purchased through Walmart.com, then I'd like a replacement for a new game.

Astr4twin
With regards to whats happening the game generally freezes when searching a clue or getting into a vehicle. The Xbox freezes and the controller wont even let you get back to dash, the disc wont eject, it sounds as though the disc has stopped spinning. The only way to restart the game is to manually switch the 360 off and then back on. Same problems on all three consoles. Im unsure of exact 360 models but theyre all older non slim models and 2 have a Liteon drive and one a BenQ. Hope this helps.

FEARINGxDOUBT
I have an older Xbox 360 and that may be the problem.. but this is pethetic, the game freezes at the rockstar logo, when its loading the game and when it finally does load it freezes again in the next 2 minutes of playing.. make a patch or something

r4twin
I Was having the same issues on Xbox 360, crashed four times on the first scene. Once when examining the newspaper then when i examined the gun on the roof. The next was when it examined the door and the final time was when i entered the police car after exiting the alleyway. Deleted the save and cleared the cache and all seems to be ok for now. Great game btw, totally different angle on all the usual same, same. Keep up the good work.

---

Thread title change was deserved. The game has issues. Whether the consoles are affected in the same way is still up for debate.

Might not be overheating on both consoles but the game seems to be unplayable for enough people on both consoles to warrant attention.

masterkajo

Just to be clear. When you say the PS3 overheats and shuts itself off, it just shuts itself off to prevent damage, right? Or does PS3 overheats mean it is a goner?

Vamphuntr

QA have been disappoiting for many games lately. DA II, Brink and now L.A. Noire. It seems developers and publishers are not scared that releasing something in a poor state will affect their image and brand.

Loudninja said:
Thats normal PS3 systems been doing that since launch.
It's rare that my 80 GB hits fan level 3, only Uncharted 2 made it hit it constantly. And I played many marathon sessions of MW2 back in the day.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
masterkajo said:
Just to be clear. When you say the PS3 overheats and shuts itself off, it just shuts itself off to prevent damage, right? Or does PS3 overheats mean it is a goner?

PS3 will turn off as a precautionary measure in order to prevent overheat damage, like a PC. You techincally won't know its a goner until you turn the PS3 back on, but you should wait a bit and let the PS3 cool down.

On a side note, not saying the 360s are overheating too, but does the 360 have the same feature, turning off automatically to prevent overheat?

surly

Banned
Dynedom said:
The link that Kagari posted details how to tackle the situation on both PS3 and 360. At least 2 people left comments on that article mentioning how their 360 crashes/freezes too. Someone on GAF also confirmed the 360 version is borked.
There's no question that the game is borked on both systems due to bugs, but the only evidence for the 360 overheating is 1 post from a single user, while the evidence for the PS3 overheating is the original Rockstar article that claimed they had tested both Rockstar and non-Rockstar games and the overheating/shutting down only occurred on systems with 3.61, the comment from the Rockstar support guy in the second article where he says that the overheating appears to be due to the latest firmware update, and several comments from users: -

I think it has something to do with the new firmware, i updated, and so did a lot of the people experiencing shut-downs. That is why i am worried, if it IS the firmware, we are going to wait a while till sony releases a new one :(
there is no sony feedback, are you saying that the overheating issue is beyond your control? are we going to have to wait till the next firmware?
@Rockstar Support: I have tried deleting the game data and creating a new user profile with my PS3 on numerous accounts, all resulting in failure.

Each time I can get through the intro cinematic, and most of the cinematic which opens up the first mission "Upon Reflection" before I have the "overheating issue" if I'm lucky. Sometimes I can't make it through the first few scenes of the actual intro cinematic.
I have a n older 80g/back compatible ps3 and it keeps shutting down on me to and flashes the red light as if overheating.

Dynedom

Yeah looks like the thread title covers that though: overheating/freezing. The PS3 seems to have the overheating issue while the 360 has a freezing issue (again, that's just my observation). Maybe the thread title was updated/edited but it doesn't specifically say the 360 overheats.

Weird situation either way.

Edit: I just hope people don't come away with an "lol Sony" message from this, like people have been ready to do. This is clearly a QA problem from Rockstar/Bondi and it's pretty inexcusable on their part. People dropped money on a game unplayable on both systems.

I'll definitely be listening closely to my PS3 as I play. Going to look out for freezing too. Going to be annoyed if this happens to me. First game purchases in months and I can't play it? Boo RockBondi.

Dynedom

Did RDR have serious issues at launch (either system)?

I always figured Bethesda/Obsidian were the masters of glitched releases.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I still want to know what the "non-Rockstar" games they tested on the PS3s were.

There's got to be be someone on GAF that's having an issue w/ the new firmware that's not playing LA Noire, because the firmware was released, Saturday, right? 2 to 3 days of people playing PS3s w/ that firmware on it, before LA Noire even came out, someone must have run into an issue.

ToyBroker

Banned
masterkajo said:

JUST to prevent overheating.

I've had my Slim shut itself off probably 3 times now since I've owned it. Never had a problem once.

jackdoe

Dynedom said:
Yeah looks like the thread title covers that though: overheating/freezing. The PS3 seems to have the overheating issue while the 360 has a freezing issue (again, that's just my observation). Maybe the thread title was updated/edited but it doesn't specifically say the 360 overheats.

Weird situation either way.
They are probably overheating issues on both consoles which leads to freezing. Luckily I haven't run into it at all in my seven hours into L.A. Noire for the PS3. Hopefully I don't run into it later.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
HaRyu said:
PS3 will turn off as a precautionary measure in order to prevent overheat damage, like a PC. You techincally won't know its a goner until you turn the PS3 back on, but you should wait a bit and let the PS3 cool down.

On a side note, not saying the 360s are overheating too, but does the 360 have the same feature, turning off automatically to prevent overheat?
yes they do

surly

Banned
Dynedom said:
Edit: I just hope people don't come away with an "lol Sony" message from this, like people have been ready to do. This is clearly a QA problem from Rockstat/Bondi and it's pretty inexcusable on their party. People dropped money on a game unplayable on both systems.
The freezing and bugs do seem to be related to issues with the game itself on both systems, but I want to know if there's an issue with the latest PS3 firmware that causes overheating and a forced shutdown, as I have an 80GB fat and don't want to use it if the firmware is to blame. Whether the PS3 shuts itself off to protect damage doesn't matter to me - I'd rather not risk it. If it breaks, it's out of warranty and I don't want to buy another one.

I don't give a shit about "lol Sony" people or the "the 360 overheats just as bad" people. They can stink up the thread with worthless crap, but it gets us nowhere.

To me, there's 3 options: -

1. Rockstar made a mistake with the first article, or they jumped the gun and posted it up without doing enough testing, but if that's the case I can't explain the comment from the Rockstar guy on the second article nor the PS3 users who are posting to say their consoles are overheating.

2. It's actually something about the game that is pushing some PS3s too hard and forcing them to shut down and it's nothing to do with the firmware.

3. Sony asked Rockstar to take the article down while they investigate. It's not like they haven't had enough bad press in the last few weeks.

Maybe there are other options I haven't thought of. Whatever the situation is, I'd like to know before I use my PS3. If people want to call me paranoid then fine, but a console overheating to the point it shuts off can't be good for it, so I'd rather wait and see what the facts are.

daycru

New Vegas' bullshit was the last straw with buying day one for me. Now wait six months for everything. Cheaper and it will probably work right.

Dynedom

surly said:
The freezing and bugs do seem to be related to issues with the game itself on both systems, but I want to know if there's an issue with the latest PS3 firmware that causes overheating and a forced shutdown, as I have an 80GB fat and don't want to use it if the firmware is to blame. Whether the PS3 shuts itself off to protect damage doesn't matter to me - I'd rather not risk it. If it breaks, it's out of warranty and I don't want to buy another one.

This is true. I haven't tried playing other games since I reactivated my PSN id. Should probably throw on something like Uncharted 2 and see if something happens. Then again, I don't remember anything out of the ordinary when I played Noire so I might be one of the fortunate.

Also: holy typo in my other post.

Huff

Banned
surly said:

I don't give a shit about "lol Sony" people or the "the 360 overheats just as bad" people. They can stink up the thread with worthless crap, but it gets us nowhere.

To me, there's 3 options: -

1. Rockstar made a mistake with the first article, or they jumped the gun and posted it up without doing enough testing, but if that's the case I can't explain the comment from the Rockstar guy on the second article nor the PS3 users who are posting to say their consoles are overheating.

2. It's actually something about the game that is pushing some PS3s too hard and forcing them to shut down and it's nothing to do with the firmware.

3. Sony asked Rockstar to take the article down while they investigate. It's not like they haven't had enough bad press in the last few weeks.

Maybe there are other options I haven't thought of. Whatever the situation is, I'd like to know before I use my PS3. If people want to call me paranoid then fine, but a console overheating to the point it shuts off can't be good for it, so I'd rather wait and see what the facts are.

If you are that paranoid, since both systems seem to be having problems, I would wait to play on either system until a patch/solution is created and released.

No one knows if it is the firmware, but since it is not a PS3 only problem, R prob just fucked up (both with the game and their statment). PS3 problems showed up first in their testing and they jumped the gun with releasing what they released, and thus pulled it either to Sony pressure or when they realized it was just BS.

surly

Banned
HaRyu said:
I think I remember that. The auto-shutdown for the 360 slims was to help prevent the RRODs, right?
The 360 S shuts down and displays this message on screen: -

tUN7H.png

The old 360s just turn off and display 2 red lights on the ring of light.

BroHuffman said:
No one knows if it is the firmware, but since it is not a PS3 only problem......
But the only evidence of overheating being a problem on the 360 is 1 post from 1 guy. The evidence of the PS3 overheating is the original R* article, the comment in the second article from the R* support guy, and several posts from users.

Whats with the title change?

My ps3 is working fine since the 3.61 update. 60 gigs and slim.

Did RockStar cut the bullshit and are working on a patch for the game?

rdrr gnr

Holy shit. Good thing I checked GAF before jumping into my session of LA Noire today. I'll shut it down for a few minutes every hour.

Huff

Banned
surly said:
But the only evidence of overheating being a problem on the 360 is 1 post from 1 guy. The evidence of the PS3 overheating is the original R* article, the comment in the second article from the R* support guy, and several posts from users.

Post 319. Look up for more examples.

Edit: I don't understand your disbelief that Rockstar put out a game that runs shitty on all systems.

Loudninja

surly said:
The 360 S shuts down and displays this message on screen: -

tUN7H.png

The old 360s just turn off and display 2 red lights on the ring of light.

Dude the damn article has been removed what is the point of this discussion now? The only article that mention it is gone.

surly

Banned
BroHuffman said:
Not one of those examples mentions overheating.

Some of you guys should avoid this game not because of the technical issues, but because you're fucking shit at examining evidence, lol.

Dynedom

BroHuffman said:

No he's right. The 360 users I posted don't specifically mention overheating. They talk about freezing. Not the same issue.

I was pointing out both versions has issues but that wasn't his point. My post was also to settle any disputes about whether the 360 version was problem-free.

robot

Played for around an hour and a half on a launch 60gb PS3 with no issues. Can't say if the fan was going crazy though, I was playing with headphones. But boy did I know when there was a clue at my feet!

low-G

JWong said:
I'm glad I bought it on my 360.

I'm glad I bought it on my slim PS3.

I'm glad I did not buy it.

I'm glad I'm playing Witcher 2 instead.

*Waits for your PC to overheat & crash*

Top Bottom