• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire causing older PS3s (fw 3.61), XB360s, to overheat/freeze; patch coming

surly said:
But the only evidence of overheating being a problem on the 360 is 1 post from 1 guy. The evidence of the PS3 overheating is the original R* article, the comment in the second article from the R* support guy, and several posts from users.

Maybe you should have a look here and see how many 360 owners are complaining. It's not just the ps3, there just as many 360 owners complaining.

BroHuffman said:
Post 319. Look up for more examples.

Edit: I don't understand your disbelief that Rockstar put out a game that runs shitty on all systems.
Because posting "lol! Sony done fucked up again!!!" Is more entertaining.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For those who've had the overheating issue on your PS3 because of LA Noire, can you guys confirm any other game that's doing it?

Cheech

I bought LA Noire (PS3) on Tuesday from Amazon because I wasn't optimistic that Witcher 2's Crossfire issues would be patched by the weekend, and I wanted something to play.

JOKE IS ON ME. I have a game coming from UPS tomorrow that may or may not nuke my PS3 (40 gig) into oblivion.

I mean, I guess I can just play some sweet Crysis. Game has been out for 4 years, so I trust that it does not have any stupid problems that 5 minutes' worth of QA would have caught.

I am disgusted this week. $100 on games I can't even play.

surly

Banned
babyghost853 said:
Maybe you should have a look here and see how many 360 owners are complaining. It's not just the ps3, there just as many 360 owners complaining.
Quote me the posts where 360 owners mention that their consoles are OVERHEATING. I'll save you the time - there aren't any. Maybe you should actually read my posts before responding to them. Nobody is disputing that the game has issues on both consoles.

Here's a bit of practice for LA Noire - examine this evidence: -

So far there is 1 post from a 360 user saying his console has overheated. I can't find where the post came from though as the person that quoted it didn't link to the source.

So far R* have posted an entire article devoted to the PS3 overheating because of firmware 3.61, which they have since pulled for reasons unknown. A R* employee says that PS3s overheating is probably because of firmware 3.61 in the thread that you linked to and that if your PS3 overheats while playing LA Noire you need to contact Sony. Also in the thread that you linked to are at least 4 PS3 users that have said that their consoles have overheated.

Hopefully you see what I'm getting at now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Y'know... I know the current argument now is that the 360 isn't turning off because of overheat.

But isn't "freezing" sometimes caused by overheat?

bill0527

I did some more testing on my PS3 and at exactly 30 minutes into a play session, the fans kick into overdrive. It happens every time. I'm too scared to let it run and see if it shuts itself off. I'm afraid it may kill it and my model is long out of warranty (40GB). I don't recall any games I've ever played doing this on this particular system. I used to have a 60GB launch unit that would do this for every game 12-15 minutes into every play session no matter which game it was. That's part of the reason I got rid of it. The fan noise is unbearable and distracting if you've got your system out in the open.

Shalashaska said:
Just tried playing for 30 minutes and my PS3 went into overdrive mode. Booooourns I say.
Yea some PS3 games will do that..I know for a fact Uncharted 2,GoW 3,Modnation and now LA Noire makes the fan get loud.. Even Red Dead makes my PS3 fan get loud..I think its normal though..*I have a 40gig PS3*

edit:After I finish playing those games.. I go back to the XMB and my PS3 fan gets quieter after like 2 mins..Thats why I think its normal

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great. Destructoid reports on the issue, but only the part about the PS3s, no mention of the X360s.

*sigh*

EDIT: Well, on the bright side, at least they put this sentence in:
"That is, if Rockstar's customer support warning is true."

UFRA

TheSeks said:
I don't even play/have LA Noir and mine is Overheated/YLoD even though I treated mine like a high-class hooker. I dusted, played it in cold rooms, etc. and it's YLoD from this firmware.

The culprit? Playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours with PS3 GAF online. >:|

IMad.gif Sony better be offering a replacement plan for this shit.

:(((((((((((((( I miss you already.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I came in to discuss the game and I see all this technical craziness....I've been playing on a launch 60gb phat for about 8 hours straight today and haven't had a single issue.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bill0527 said:
I did some more testing on my PS3 and at exactly 30 minutes into a play session, the fans kick into overdrive. It happens every time. I'm too scared to let it run and see if it shuts itself off. I'm afraid it may kill it and my model is long out of warranty (40GB). I don't recall any games I've ever played doing this on this particular system. I used to have a 60GB launch unit that would do this for every game 12-15 minutes into every play session no matter which game it was. That's part of the reason I got rid of it. The fan noise is unbearable and distracting if you've got your system out in the open.

Have you tried it with non-LA Noire games?

surly

Banned
Rockstar are talking bullshit.

I asked in that thread on their site why the other article was deleted. This is the response: -

Rockstar Support said:
We have merged the L.A. Noire Crashing/Freezing support sections into one article in order to reach a larger audience with announcements about patches and troubleshooting.
So that doesn't explain why all references to the PS3 firmware were removed.

Earlier on I posted a screenshot of a reply from Rockstar Support in the comments: -

zKjVR.jpg

Now look what that reply says: -

SJ3cj.jpg

So while we were discussing this, they edited that reply.

MBison

How are PS3 users gonna get a patch if PSN isn't working? (sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't play much on PS3 or use online there)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
surly said:
Rockstar are talking bullshit.

I asked in that thread on their site why the other article was deleted. This is the response: -

So that doesn't explain why all references to the PS3 firmware were removed.

Earlier on I posted a screenshot of a reply from Rockstar Support in the comments: -

zKjVR.jpg

Now look what that reply says: -

SJ3cj.jpg

So while we were discussing this, they edited that reply.

I thought they tested and got results. This would indicate that they never actually confirmed that PS3s are overheating on their end.

Zoe

MBison said:
How are PS3 users gonna get a patch if PSN isn't working? (sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't play much on PS3 or use online there)

Update servers have always been fine.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
MBison said:

Games will still update. Only the PSN store is down, everything else PSN is still up.

Kccitystar

MBison said:

Patch servers are independent from PSN servers I believe

Edit: beaten twice

TheSeks

UFRA said:
:(((((((((((((( I miss you already.

I'm not even sure if it's the firmware. Like I said: The timing and one day after the firmware/PSN being up makes me super suspicious as I dusted damn near weekly.

If it is the firmware, I hope Sony fixes those of us affected for free. (HAHA, FAT CHANCE)

MBison said:

Uh... PSN is up? (Unless it's gone down in the past four days since my PS3 kicked the bucket. CBA to check the status for something I can't use now) Even if it's down, PSN's update/patch servers were up during the downtime. Sony just needs to put the patch up and BAM, done.

Clipper

MBison said:
Because PSN is working again and the update in question is the new one released when they got it working.

Edit: Ah beaten.

surly said:
Quote me the posts where 360 owners mention that their consoles are OVERHEATING. I'll save you the time - there aren't any. Maybe you should actually read my posts before responding to them. Nobody is disputing that the game has issues on both consoles.

Here's a bit of practice for LA Noire - examine this evidence: -

So far there is 1 post from a 360 user saying his console has overheated. I can't find where the post came from though as the person that quoted it didn't link to the source.

So far R* have posted an entire article devoted to the PS3 overheating because of firmware 3.61, which they have since pulled for reasons unknown. A R* employee says that PS3s overheating is probably because of firmware 3.61 in the thread that you linked to and that if your PS3 overheats while playing LA Noire you need to contact Sony. Also in the thread that you linked to are at least 4 PS3 users that have said that their consoles have overheated.

Hopefully you see what I'm getting at now.

I posted that because your post was a response to this quote.

Originally Posted by BroHuffman:
No one knows if it is the firmware, but since it is not a PS3 only problem......

And I am pretty sure he was referring to the game freezing/crashing, I would even go out on a limb and suggest that the overheating issue is related to the game as well because, overheating issues being reported have all come from people playing the game, can you point me to any other reports where other games are causing overheating, other than R* saying so?

Maybe the overheating issue only affects the ps3 but that does not mean the firmware is at fault.

TheSeks

bill0527 said:
Not yet, but I will, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

Do let me know. I'm really wanting to know the conclusions of your testing.

Read: I want a free fix instead of paying $150 to get Portal 2 out of the system after I thought my system was going to be fine after rebooting it to put said Portal 2 in to wait for Dream to play co-op with him. >:|

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

JABEE

Is this freezing and overheating problem just like Heavy Rain's issue. Is it safe to play the game on the PS3?

HaRyu said:
People have tried, but it really didnt' help. Give me a bit, I have a link somewhere.

EDIT: Here ya go. Some people in the thread tried, I think it only helped one person? The others who tried, didn't help them much at all.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/l_o/lanoire/f/371/t/3537.aspx?PageIndex=1
That's odd.

I wonder why reviewers didn't point this out. When New Vegas was reviewed, it hurt the final review scores because the game had so many technical problems. If there were issues with LA Noire, why didn't they tell us?

TheSeks

JABEE said:
Is this freezing and overheating problem just like Heavy Rain's issue. Is it safe to play the game on the PS3?

We don't know. If you have 60/80gig PS3 (mine is BC, not sure if it's just BC enabled or not), you're at risk if Rockstar's former entry is right.

It's probably better to err on the side of caution and wait/don't play your PS3 for the next week or two until Sony/Rockstar announces a patch that won't break your PS3. (Too late for me. :()

saunderez

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's odd.

I wonder why reviewers didn't point this out. When New Vegas was reviewed, it hurt the final review scores because the game had so many technical problems. If there were issues with LA Noire, why didn't they tell us?
Probably because they didn't have any. I'm playing on 360 and haven't had any issues yet. I'd estimate I'm halfway through disc 2 so it's not like I've only just started playing.

I'm more willing to go with Occam's Razor than believe there is some massive conspiracy where gaming journalists knew the game was faulty but didn't mention it in the review.

JABEE

TheSeks said:
We don't know. If you have 60/80gig PS3 (mine is BC, not sure if it's just BC enabled or not), you're at risk if Rockstar's former entry is right.

It's probably better to err on the side of caution and wait/don't play your PS3 for the next week or two until Sony/Rockstar announces a patch that won't break your PS3. (Too late for me. :()
Your system broke? How exactly did it happen?

jackdoe

HaRyu said:
Y'know... I know the current argument now is that the 360 isn't turning off because of overheat.

But isn't "freezing" sometimes caused by overheat?
Yes. Which is why I think it is an overheating issue but maybe not a problem with the actual game. It could just be that this game pushes just the right buttons to get an aging console over the edge and overheat.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
so the reality is that LAN is just a bitch for these consoles to run so they need to throw something under the bus I guess? I used to have an issue with Uncharted 2, LBP and Killzone 2 freezing my PS3, I had to get it replaced with a different 20gig

TheSeks

JABEE said:
Your system broke? How exactly did it happen?

1) Update to 3.61
2) Get on PSN and change password to PSN id when PSN goes up that night.
3) Later that day (read: after I slept) play Portal 2 for 4 hours in singleplayer and co-op with Killthee. No issues and AFAIK fan was fine (seemed to be blowing to me, then again I'm deaf so I can't know if the WHRRRRRRRRR is there or not)
4) Three hours later, play with PS3 BC2 GAF in a few rounds of Bad Company 2.
4a) Get to Laguna Presa Rush, killed. Game starts to stutter and lag. At this point I'm thinking "Weird, GPU failure again? :( Overheating? :( :( Or just lag? :( :("
4b) PS3 CUTS OFF/HARD REBOOTS ITSELF
5) Red lights/overheating message on LED with no image on monitor
6) Shut down PS3 via button, then let it cool down.
7) Reboot PS3
7a) Goes to XMB
7b) Take out BC2 to put in Portal 2 to play with Dream in an hour
8) Shut down PS3 (STUPID OF ME BECAUSE I HAD ONE LAST CHANCE TO EJECT THE DISC AND DEACTIVATE MY CONSOLE FOR DRM PURPOSES)
9) Turn on PS3 an hour later/cooled down PS3 some more.
9a) Green->Yellow flash->RED RED RED RED RED RED
9b) Google around: Yellow Light of Death
10) HULK SMASH PS3 Cry to self because PS3 is dead and PSN has been down and I can no longer play my crack addiction: Bad Company 2.

So I'm pissed. 1 Day after PSN comes back up. 1 Day after firmware 3.61. BAD TIMING/IMPOSSIBLE LUCK or Firmware bug that shut my 80gig MGS4 PS2 BC console's temp sensor off and turned the fans off when I played BC2?

J-Rzez

Averon said:
Bit of an overreaction, no? Not like this is the first time firmware craps a console. In fact, it's been a disturbingly common theme this generation

Well, I wasn't drinking when I wrote that so probably not...

But:
- $599.99
- YLOD (for enough people it seems)
- Third Party games not performing to par in a supposedly more powerful machine (viewed negatively by some people)
- PSN security breach
- Not an overall runaway success like they thought it would be like the other gens

When you add them all up, you can see they had a rough-rough gen.

What's saving them though is that it's exclusive first-party titles are a technological above everything else, and that they're compelling good software pieces to boot overall. Free online. Blu-Ray for many. So it's not death-sentence by any means to them, but they still got their share of black-eyes this gen.

Even if this issue is thrown under the bus as an issue that's not a result of the patch, it still could not be happening at a worse time for Sony.

I'm thinking about getting on the bus that this gen has been the worst like others have said. Not just Sony's, but all 3 console makers.

Fjordson

Shit, my 360 is pretty old and I've put in 12 hours. No problems so far, but I hope I didn't bring my system to the edge of destruction or something. Played for a long time yesterday =(

Edit: Just to be clear, a patch is coming to both systems. Right?

TheSeks

Also for the record: I shot Sony an e-mail about my situation two days ago and still haven't heard about them fixing it for free or "tough titty said the kitty when the milk rain dry"/pay us $150 for your Portal 2 disc back, sucker.

So I'm even more pissed. >:| :mad:

saunderez

Fjordson said:
Shit, my 360 is pretty old and I've put in 12 hours. No problems so far, but I hope I didn't bring my system to the edge of destruction or something. Played for a long time yesterday =(

Edit: Just to be clear, a patch is coming to both systems. Right?
You'll be fine. Issues with the 360 version are nowhere near as common as the PS3 version. If the game hasn't packed it in yet after 12 hours you haven't got anything to worry about.

lucius

I don't know dude look at the Rockstar page as many pissed off 360 owners because of freezing, locking up etc.

Hyphen

B1gg_Randall said:
Yea some PS3 games will do that..I know for a fact Uncharted 2,GoW 3,Modnation and now LA Noire makes the fan get loud.. Even Red Dead makes my PS3 fan get loud..I think its normal though..*I have a 40gig PS3*

edit:After I finish playing those games.. I go back to the XMB and my PS3 fan gets quieter after like 2 mins..Thats why I think its normal

The exact same thing happens with my 60GB launch PS3.
I didn't really notice it during Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, but certainly during Red Dead Redemption I remember I had been playing for many hours and I could hear the fans kick up an extra notch more than normal. It wasn't the 'hairdryer' level that my PS3 had got up to once before, but I definitely noticed the jump in noise. But then when I quit the game and went back to the XMB for a bit, the fans slowed backed down a notch.

In short, I agree that this is normal for my PS3.

Glad I upgraded to a slim earlier this year because I have been playing the mess out of Noire for the last two days.

Hopefully the issue is not as wide spread as it seems.

lucius

I think LA Noire is the loudest game I have on PS3 maybe Uncharted 2 coming close.

BTW what was the known Heavy Rain problem? I played that a couple days ago and I did get a freeze in it playing it all the way through.

Vorg

Banned
seriously guys who gives a shit about which version has more people complaining. I just wanna know for sure if playing it will harm my 360 or not.

Top Bottom