• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it today. Great film. I know the phrase is way overused but watching this it felt like an instant classic I'd be hearing about 20-30 years from now.

SeanC

he made jazz look lame in this one

image.php

beat

I really didn't expect Chazelle to move from Whiplash to this. Both fantastic in different ways, which speaks to the incredible talent of that man. Anything thinks he succeeded in making jazz more cool again?

Well, I mean, I did discover Don Ellis because of WHIPLASH (his band recorded an excellent version of "Whiplash".)

But Richard Brody is right in his reviews that Chazelle's onscreen depiction of genius in collaborative art forms like jazz and moviemaking is weirdly solipsistic. In Whiplash, Andrew Neyman doesn't become a better jazz drummer by listening to jazz and jamming with other musicians and developing that "compromise and conflict" that Sebastian enthused about in LLL. Neyman "becomes" a better drummer with punishing solo drills and practices.

The craft of acting isn't really shown in LLL, and honestly writing barely is either. Mia sits around and writes something, we don't know what, and eventually all we see is the "Audition" song out of it, a song about wanting an amorphous ... something exciting out of life.

I like both movies, but you have to bring a lot to them because Chazelle's presentation of art is very much about the surfaces of art: the drum solos, being a movie star... rather than the substance of what jazz is or what acting (or writing) is.

Burbeting

Banned
What a wonderful movie. Not perfect, there were some problems. But as a whole... it nailed it.

Wanna see moonlight when it hits finland, but for now I feel this deserves awards.

cyba89

Just saw it and despite the already high expectations due to all the hype around the movie I was still blown away. The epilogue
"What if"
montage is already safe for one of the best movie scenes of the year. Mias last audition (The Fools Who Dream) also gave me chills.
In general the songs are all super catchy.

The wait for the BluRay is already too long.

AHA-Lambda

Saw it earlier today, absolutely adored it and met my already high expectations coming off of Whiplash :D

and man that ending is just heartbreaking!

Saw it earlier today, absolutely adored it and met my already high expectations coming off of Whiplash :D

and man that ending is just heartbreaking!

Everyone says it's heartbreaking, but is it really?

Two people
not compromising on their dreams end up not compromising on what could've been a new dream together.

I see it as more bittersweet.

AHA-Lambda

Everyone says it's heartbreaking, but is it really?

Two people
not compromising on their dreams end up not compromising on what could've been a new dream together.

I see it as more bittersweet.

Bittersweet is probably a better word for it yeah, but I won't lie I was kinda tearing up a bit by the end.

Finally got a chance to watch this today. And man have I lost all patience for people talking in movie theaters. Im fitten to act a fool next time it happens.

Movie didn't blow me away like whiplash, definitely very good though. I'd like to watch it again in the privacy of my own home though. Not sure I'll watch it a million times like I have whiplash.

shira

Finally got a chance to watch this today. And man have I lost all patience for people talking in movie theaters. Im fitten to act a fool next time it happens.

Movie didn't blow me away like whiplash, definitely very good though. I'd like to watch it again in the privacy of my own home though. Not sure I'll watch it a million times like I have whiplash.

Old lady had the sniffles and it's almost 3 hours considering ads and showing up early.
A lot of older people were getting up for bathroom breaks.

The one plus is no cell phones and no talking.

cyba89

There were some people very irritated with the opening because they didn't knew this film is a musical.

I never understood how people can have difficulty immersing themselves in musicals but love Disney animated movies. Is it the fact that it's a cartoon that helps with suspension of disbelief?

shira

There were some people very irritated with the opening because they didn't knew this film is a musical.

I don't think I would have watched this if it was a rom-com.

I never understood how people can have difficulty immersing themselves in musicals but love Disney animated movies. Is it the fact that it's a cartoon that helps with suspension of disbelief?

Well yeah the animation level increases quite a bit for the musical numbers

Old lady had the sniffles and it's almost 3 hours considering ads and showing up early.
A lot of older people were getting up for bathroom breaks.

The one plus is no cell phones and no talking.

Yeah I go as early as possible because there are fewer people and they are usually old. Past few times there has still be at least one couple of peices of garbage. I don't mind people getting up and leaving, but people talking and thinking they are being quiet with the stupid pss ps ppsst noises can fuck off you damn stupid FUCKS!

Quick

Banned
Just saw it for again today, second viewing. Probably the last until it comes out in home media.

Cool little thing I noticed (ending spoiler):
the indoor set that Seb and Mia stopped to look at on the studio lot is the exact set they were dancing in during the montage. I don't think I noticed it the first time.

Character + ending spoiler:
Mia and Paris seem to be really connected. Either brought up earlier in the movie or something that's constantly popped up (ie her play's set, with Paris on her window), but it seems to have been lined up early on. Being my second viewing, I feel like I'm more attuned to spotting these things.

Came up with a small nitpick: music mixing/how the first two songs started.

The movie opens with Another Day of Sun. I feel like the transition from random radio noise to the song could've been done better. In my theatre, the song kicks in already a few seconds in after the camera finally pans on the woman singing in her car.

Another one is how Someone in the Crowd also starts. It seemed to start really sudden.

I was seated beside two women, both were just sniffing as the movie came close to the end. And a huge audible sigh when Mia's husband came into view near the end as well lol.

Biggest emotional kick for the theatre altogether:
the Montage sequence. I almost teared up, but the women beside me + appears to be the majority of the theatre were already sniffing or tearing up.

Speevy

Banned
I expected to like this movie more than I did.

I loved the musical numbers and visuals. I'm a sucker for musicals and this movie never bores with these. I wish there was more to the score because what hits is definitely electric on the screen.

Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling play their parts well, or at least they're serviceable in the singing parts and charming in the acting parts.
What didn't grab me was the story. Maybe it's just because I have watched so many movies where characters are actually struggling, but I didn't really buy into the sorrow of either of these characters not fulfilling their dreams. Both seemed extremely fortunate in life and love to the point where they were able to make choices to pursue or not pursue life and love seemingly at will. I never got the impression that either was forced into destitution, so their rescue for the doldrums rang rather hollow.

That was the major theme of the movie, right? Dreams? Going after some things and having to sacrifice others? This is a good idea, and it's a smart movie in this regard. Many times in life you think things are going to work out one way, but then reality sends you in a completely direction. Not in a millionaire movie star living in a palace way, but maybe instead of being a titan of industry, you're a teacher (like me). These kinds of things relate to me.

Now, someone has to explain something to me because I'm lost. Since musical numbers are supposed to be separated from reality and characters are singing about their feelings and experiences, Mia is a film and television actress, right? If that is the case, is she not portrayed in the film as a particularly bad one? I got the impression that her dreams were a lot bigger than her actual talent. Now, I'm not meaning to suggest that people without talent don't succeed, but she also seemed to take her art quite seriously. Wouldn't a scene set in reality that showed Mia being outstanding at film or television acting have served this purpose? I don't know. Her audition just didn't cut it for me. Not to mention the unimaginable contrivance that created it, but I'm willing to forgive that since it's a musical.

I guess what bothers me the most is that I've seen a film called Once. This is a film that was shot for one of the tiniest budgets, and is also about two people who are struggling in their lives.

It doesn't have the energetic heart-stopping song and dances or the callbacks to old Hollywood, but it does present two people in a similar situation to Sebastian and Mia. It also has pretty much exactly the same ending within a different context.

The two films are wildly different in their artistic intent. La La Land transports the viewer with these lavish set pieces and amazing song and dance numbers. Once is comparatively workmanlike and folksy in its low-fi depiction of Dublin, Ireland.

However, in both films, two people meet for a short time and change each other's outlook on life. The characters in Once never actually fall in love since both are in strained relationships during their meetings.

Also in Once, incredibly driven and talented people bust their asses to succeed in the entertainment business. And they fail with a smile on their faces.

So while I was moved by the music and feelings of La La Land, I cannot help but feel like people without real struggles made some very clear-eyed and not at all desperate choices, succeeding off screen.

All we're left with is a feeling of what could have been, and a great show, but with very few concrete ideas of the realness beneath it all. Maybe that was the point. I don't know.

I still enjoyed it overall, though.

shira

What didn't grab me was the story. Maybe it's just because I have watched so many movies where characters are actually struggling, but I didn't really buy into the sorrow of either of these characters not fulfilling their dreams. Both seemed extremely fortunate in life and love to the point where they were able to make choices to pursue or not pursue life and love seemingly at will. I never got the impression that either was forced into destitution, so their rescue for the doldrums rang rather hollow.

I think it's the story of the director Chazelle and the musical director Hurwitz as Stone and Gosling.
It's the only way it works in my mind, but you are free to interpret as you like. Their lives are extremely atypical as your average girl leaving for LA and jazz fans typically don't make it big in La La Land.

The movie also changes tone from sunny/realistic in the beginning to dark/dreamy towards the end to the point you can't tell what is real anymore.

dcelw540

Went to go see it by myself and loved it but made me sad by the end. After watching the movie my mom sends me a message saying she bought me tickets to see it with her tomorrow. I don't know if I can handle it again with that ending. Help me guys. Also the ending was very similar to other movies but can't think of which ones can you guys give me some names? It's gonna drive me crazy.

mm04

Funny you should say that, I just took my Mom and niece to see it and not really expecting to really like it. I loved it. I don't know what the end reminded me of, but the end result made me feel somewhat like I did watching
Castaway
. Oh and the end glance...
Mad Max Fury Road.

shira

Went to go see it by myself and loved it but made me sad by the end. After watching the movie my mom sends me a message saying she bought me tickets to see it with her tomorrow. I don't know if I can handle it again with that ending. Help me guys. Also the ending was very similar to other movies but can't think of which ones can you guys give me some names? It's gonna drive me crazy.

The Dark Knight Rises
wfDVV2d.gif

Watched it again and JUST REALIZED
that Tom Evert Scott plays Mia's husband!! That is the lead actor from That Thing You Do which was all about the main characters obsession with jazz!! Movie redeamed! That's an awesome Easter egg.

FREAKING AWESOME! Loved That Thing You Do!

Dmax3901

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a lot, colours were great and I felt things more than I was expecting. I realised later how Mia's housemates essentially disappear after that first song! Kinda funny.

shira

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a lot, colours were great and I felt things more than I was expecting. I realised later how Mia's housemates essentially disappear after that first song! Kinda funny.
Yes it's been echo'd several times.

They are some pretty talented ladies.

One is in Alien Covenant, another was the servant in Ex Machina

Shepard

Just saw it today. Didnt think I'd like it that much. Easily best of the year.
Opening sequence and ending were nuts.

JMizzlin

Made the mistake of visiting the imdb message boards for this film... The vitriol! Everyone I've talked to has loved it. Very strange.

Looking forward to my signed vinyl rocking up in a few weeks. I'm still far too obsessed with this film.

rexor0717

I was kinda meh on the whole thing. I liked it enough, but it never emotionally resonated with me, which is odd because I'm usually into this kind of thing. Oh well, I can see why people would like it a lot, but it just didn't do that much for me.

dcelw540

Tried listening to the soundtrack and the emotions, it's crazy how in the movie i loved this one song
mia and sebastian's theme
and then suddenly my whole opinion on it changes and makes me sad just hearing it. God this movie was amazing.

watched this the other day and just as I expected I love it 100%. the music is great, the dance numbers were excellent and the
bitter sweet
ending hits just right. and as an Angelino of 20+ years, I really enjoy this love letter to my city.

Saw it yesterday. It's an incredibly well made movie, I love the soundtrack, the acting and it is really well directed but I absolutely hated where the story went.

It felt completely out of place for me. Loved the first half of the movie but the second one was a straight trainwreck to me.

The movie started off like an ode to old movies like Singing in the Rain and I really loved what it did in the first half. But mirroring Ryan Gosling's character it chickens out of holding on to this traditionalist idea of a movie. "Nobody likes old Jazz/Movies." And like Gosling with his Jazz, you as viewer are suddenly confronted with the grim and cynical realities of life and movies, and I think the movie suffers from it. It loses it's trademark style and suave and becomes depressing.

Want to know a movie that did it better?
the-artist.jpg

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Saw it last night and enjoyed it, my friend was furious though.

Not sure it lived up to the hype for me though, probably prefer Grease as far as musicals go.
100% here for more Emma Stone and Gosling team ups though

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I really didn't expect Chazelle to move from Whiplash to this. Both fantastic in different ways, which speaks to the incredible talent of that man. Anything thinks he succeeded in making jazz more cool again?
They were actually working on this long before they did Whiplash but couldn't get any money to do this until after the success of Whiplash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom