• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried listening to the soundtrack and the emotions, it's crazy how in the movie i loved this one song
mia and sebastian's theme
and then suddenly my whole opinion on it changes and makes me sad just hearing it. God this movie was amazing.

I cant listen to this track now after seeing the movie. I always skip it cuz damn its hard to listen to it :/

AHA-Lambda

Have heard people call la la land this generation's Casablanca, and tbh I kind of agree :(

Dat ending :(

Michaelscottfacepalm1.gif

Tugatrix

I hate musicals, but for Chazelle I did watch this and what a great film. The direction, the performances, the music and the story
(even with the bittersweet ending)

In the end I think they are both happy in their own way and that look and smile in the end is the acknowledge of that

Replicant

Tried listening to the soundtrack and the emotions, it's crazy how in the movie i loved this one song
mia and sebastian's theme
and then suddenly my whole opinion on it changes and makes me sad just hearing it. God this movie was amazing.

That song reminds me of many Ghibli's music for some reason.

The full SCORE is on spotify now, not just the soundtrack.

Lots of different pieces that were missing from the OST, so I'm happy :)

https://open.spotify.com/album/0nQJa9mRvan1HnkwbYuxAN

Where is "The Fools Who Dream" aka the Audition song?

mm04

I hate musicals, but for Chazelle I did watch this and what a great film. The direction, the performances, the music and the story
(even with the bittersweet ending)

In the end I think they are both happy in their own way and that look and smile in the end is the acknowledge of that

I think
Mia is definitely happy because she got everything she wanted, even with the wistful montage with Seb replacing her husband
. Now,
Seb
on the other hand,
he was also happy, but he didn't get the club location he wanted and it sucked seeing him cooking only for himself after we see Mia w/her family. I guess jazz is his first love and he gets to share it with all his patrons, but no Mia

I watched it with my co-workers on Friday. I absolutely loved it, everything from the cast, OST and ending. Though some of them are kinda furious with how it ended. I think the ending was perfect.

Choomp

Banned
I just saw this movie and I'm in love, it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. I'm so appreciative of what it was going for and what it has to say, at the same time nailing the style of dance and music that it was kind of commentating on. The backdrops, cinematography, everything was so beautiful. There's so much more I want to say about this film but I think this one will speak to everyone in a different way. This movie has deserved every award it's gotten, and I'm on board for this taking everything home at the Oscars.

B33

Banned
DerZuhälter;228406806 said:
Saw it yesterday. It's an incredibly well made movie, I love the soundtrack, the acting and it is really well directed but I absolutely hated where the story went.

It felt completely out of place for me. Loved the first half of the movie but the second one was a straight trainwreck to me.

The movie started off like an ode to old movies like Singing in the Rain and I really loved what it did in the first half. But mirroring Ryan Gosling's character it chickens out of holding on to this traditionalist idea of a movie. "Nobody likes old Jazz/Movies." And like Gosling with his Jazz, you as viewer are suddenly confronted with the grim and cynical realities of life and movies, and I think the movie suffers from it. It loses it's trademark style and suave and becomes depressing.

Want to know a movie that did it better?
the-artist.jpg

I don't like The Artist.

Go your own way, I suppose.

Gaaraz

I think it's due to the huge amounts of hype this received, but for me it totally fell flat.

Both characters were very endearing (and I really like Ryan Gosling in just about everything) but I wasn't a huge fan of the storyline.
Mia randomly walking out on her seemingly nice boyfriend to go on a date with another guy is supposed to be romantic? And I didn't like how Seb went from really struggling for work as a musician to suddenly playing in the hottest band out there, with girls rushing forward and screaming at him despite not having a lead role in the band.

I guess that the idea was ”follow your dreams and they will come true!" in terms of Seb managing to open up an incredibly popular jazz bar despite jazz supposedly dying out, and Mia managing to become an absolute superstar actress despite 6 years of failed auditions. I guess it wasn't just very believable to me.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of signing (unless it's a Disney/animated film) or dancing in movies, so I'm clearly not the intended audience.

Laieon

Probably seeing this with my girlfriend this weekend. I almost always hate non-animated musicals (I think the last one I liked was The Pick of Destinity), but the cinematography on this looks too good to pass up.

I think it’s due to the huge amounts of hype this received, but for me it totally fell flat.

Both characters were very endearing (and I really like Ryan Gosling in just about everything) but I wasn’t a huge fan of the storyline.
Mia randomly walking out on her seemingly nice boyfriend to go on a date with another guy is supposed to be romantic? And I didn’t like how Seb went from really struggling for work as a musician to suddenly playing in the hottest band out there, with girls rushing forward and screaming at him despite not having a lead role in the band.

I guess that the idea was “follow your dreams and they will come true!” in terms of Seb managing to open up an incredibly popular jazz bar despite jazz supposedly dying out, and Mia managing to become an absolute superstar actress despite 6 years of failed auditions. I guess it wasn’t just very believable to me.

That being said, I’m not a huge fan of signing (unless it’s a Disney/animated film) or dancing in movies, so I’m clearly not the intended audience.
To be frank, I don't think this film was intended for a musical-going audience either. The two leads are an indication of this, the only reason it's even a musical to begin with is so it can tackle its themes of idealism.

NekoFever

I'm amazed by the number of people I'm speaking to and reading impressions from who really hate the ending. Is it simply because
they don't end up together
?

I'm amazed by the number of people I'm speaking to and reading impressions from who really hate the ending. Is it simply because
?

I'm guessing that's the reason for most people in it's simplest form, for me it's the idea that even when life goes the way you want it to go, you still lose out along the way, which in the case of these characters felt like a huge losses. Which is obvious and realistic but after two wondrous hours it was a real gut punch that left me leaving the theatre on a downer.

Gaaraz

I'm guessing that's the reason for most people in it's simplest form, for me it's the idea that even when life goes the way you want it to go, you still lose out along the way, which in the case of these characters felt like a huge losses. Which is obvious and realistic but after two wondrous hours it was a real gut punch that left me leaving the theatre on a downer.
Well said! It was
bittersweet, but I had much more invested emotionally in them being happy together than I did in either of their careers.

Personally I would've preferred if
the film ended with them running a club together, performing to small audiences, but still being happy. It would've been much more believable than what actually happened too, with him suddenly becoming a superstar then opening a wildly successful jazz club, and her going from a failure as an actress to the hottest thing around.

My wife reluctantly went with me to see this the other day, and I loved it while she was absolutely bored.

She felt like it was trying to imitate older musicals (which she loves) but the story was tired and Gosling showed no emotion.

I loved all the musical numbers, but I agree with her on Gosling. My only complaint is that the second half is a bit of a musical drought.

Tugatrix

One thing I was wondering, did Gosling really played the piano like he seem to do? if he did damn the guy it's a damn fine pianist and I wouldn't mind to see him play an entire album

Speevy

Banned
?
The ending didn't work for me because the movie didn't go to significant lengths to prove that they were in love in the first place.

I mean I know love at first sight and all that, but damn. Dancing is not a relationship.

I want for them to succeed, but have kids together? Where did this desire ever get expressed by either character in the movie? Successful movie actresses often wait on kids as a matter of fact.

One thing I was wondering, did Gosling really played the piano like he seem to do? if he did damn the guy it's a damn fine pianist and I wouldn't mind to see him play an entire album

I'm not sure if he did but he does have a band and definitely has some level of musical experience and skill.

shira

Yes, Ryan was physically pushing all the right the keys and yes he did learn all the pieces,
but the studio hired professional Randy Kerber and used his pre-recorded audio.

I assume the small scenes were all Ryan and all the big numbers was Kerber. Chazelle wanted all the scenes to look authentic but at the same time you can't just learn the piano in 6 months and be professional level.

- he's featured piano
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0449205/

cj_iwakura

I actually had another thought about the ending.

It's possible they WEREN'T meant to be together. It happens when you break up with someone. You think about all the great things that could have been, but then you realize that it maybe just wasn't meant to be.

It's kind of clear that Mia tosses guys aside on pretty short notice, so if you think about it that way, maybe Sebastian dodged a bullet.

scarlet

Oh gosh, I'm trying so hard not to cry.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

2 of my faves films in 2016 are la la land and the nice guys, both have gosling in it.

What a movie! The first time I went I had a bit too much edible, and while I gathered that it was great, my mind was too busy to watch it correctly.

Had to see it again today, and it is so fucking good! Might actually challenge Arrival for my #1 spot this year which I didn't think was possible. I will devour that Blu Ray, I can't think of a single scene that would get boring even on ten re-watches, so much happening in every scene, and such a beautiful movie. I could watch it again this second and be totally engrossed.

rashbeep

Banned
Solid flick, don't think it was much of a musical though. Aside from the main piano theme Seb plays, there wasn't any piece that stuck out to me.

UberTag

I actually had another thought about the ending.

It's possible they WEREN'T meant to be together. It happens when you break up with someone. You think about all the great things that could have been, but then you realize that it maybe just wasn't meant to be.

It's kind of clear that Mia tosses guys aside on pretty short notice, so if you think about it that way, maybe Sebastian dodged a bullet.
He's easily much better off without her.

The Lamp

Music was good, although I can't remember a single number and Emma's voice is like a whispering bird.

The storytelling was lacking (the romance between the two was unconvincing until the last scenes and the plot itself was kind of bland/dry),and the pacing was too slow and drawn out. I thought the movie was gonna take place in the 20s or 50s and I'm actually annoyed that it's not, because the idea of being an impoverished actress and jazz musician is so unrelatable in this day and age.

And on top of that it felt like a mostly white people movie with mostly white people problems.
"oh no! I can't start my jazz club! :( at least I became a successful musician" "oh no, I can't be an actress, my life sucks!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom