• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

He blamed her for his own decisions, re: joining the Messengers.Like he wasn't a grown-up who made his own decisions.

Which is about as bad as anything she did.
The dinner was the most painfully accurate scene in the movie. How the perfect evening can turn south just from saying the wrong thing.

Kito

The lighting and camerawork in this film were outstanding - a treat for the eyes. Also, the best ending to a film in years.

The dinner was the most painfully accurate scene in the movie. How the perfect evening can turn south just from saying the wrong thing.

Yeah it reminded me of the last long distance relationship I was in where you try to ignore the signs that things aren't going to work out but you both know its there.

This movie was rough at times.

Parch

Seeing this was a mistake.
This is the type of movie my girlfriend is going to want to watch every weekend for the next 2 years. She's going to expect me to learn the dance routines and be all romantic and shit.
Stupid charming Gosling.

mm04

The most underrated bittersweet scene is the engagement party. Just Sebastian playing the piano while everyone is celebrating love. I love listening to that song on the soundtrack.

TheFlow

Banned
For people who liked la la land music but want something more.

716_BD_single_box_348x490_original.jpg

717_BD_single_box_348x490_original.jpg

Ohwiseone

Awesome that Umbrellas is on Criterion. I was planning on sitting down and attempting to find a copy.

I saw in Monday night in IMAX. The movie is still gorgeous. I am still fascinated at that opening number It's just impressive both technically and tone-wise.

I feel though, that the second act drags. (Roughly from "Start A Fire" till the end of their big fight in their apartment together).

I still love this movie, and it's easily in my top 10 movies of all time.

"A Lovely Night" is still fantastic, and its even better on a big IMAX screen.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Manchester by the Sea will win Best Picture, but If this did, I would be fine with it. It's one of the best films I feel, I that I have seen recently.

Oh, and that ending is still a emotional gut-punch.

TheFlow

Banned
Awesome that Umbrellas is on Criterion. I was planning on sitting down and attempting to find a copy.

I saw in Monday night in IMAX. The movie is still gorgeous. I am still fascinated at that opening number It's just impressive both technically and tone-wise.

I feel though, that the second act drags. (Roughly from "Start A Fire" till the end of their big fight in their apartment together).

I still love this movie, and it's easily in my top 10 movies of all time.

"A Lovely Night" is still fantastic, and its even better on a big IMAX screen.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Manchester by the Sea will win Best Picture, but If this did, I would be fine with it. It's one of the best films I feel, I that I have seen recently.

Oh, and that ending is still a emotional gut-punch.

moonlight. It is getting buzz after winning best drama.

JCX

I get why City of Stars is pushed as the best song nom for this movie, but Another Day of Sun is much better. City of Stars seems like a less good version of Falling Slowly.

Surprised this movie is getting so many plaudits. It was a fun evening's entertainment, but I already can't remember a lot of the songs, and I don't see myself rewatching this like I do many musicals. The story was pretty good though, with some clever writing.

JCX

Surprised this movie is getting so many plaudits. It was a fun evening's entertainment, but I already can't remember a lot of the songs, and I don't see myself rewatching this like I do many musicals.

Yep this is where I am. Fun movie, but not amazing. Only 3 good songs in the whole thing. This would stand out more to me in a world without Hamilton or Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

Shepard

I get why City of Stars is pushed as the best song nom for this movie, but Another Day of Sun is much better. City of Stars seems like a less good version of Falling Slowly.
Agreed. Id personally choose the audition song or even someone in the crowd too.

shira

Mainly because Gosling and Stone are in it
misc-dendiFace.PNG

City of Stars was the weakest song in the movie for me honestly. A Lovely Night turned out to be my favorite, can't stop singing it over the past week and a half.

shira

I'm still very curious to know the *gasp* scene in Dr. Strange. Please tell me.

Dr Strange spoilers:

[Steven, a surgeon, has spent all of his money trying to fix his hands that were mangled in a car accident and is trying to setup another expensive treatment. Christine, an ex and ER doctor, comes by to drop off some food since she likes him. She wants him to give up his quest to fix his hands.]

Christine: . . . this isn't the end - there are things that can give your life meaning.
Steven: Like what? Like you?
[long pause]
Christine: This is the part where you apologize
Steven: This is the part where you leave

cj_iwakura

Dr Strange spoilers:

[Steven, a surgeon, has spent all of his money trying to fix his hands that were mangled in a car accident and is trying to setup another expensive treatment. Christine, an ex and ER doctor, comes by to drop off some food since she likes him. She wants him to give up his quest to fix his hands.]

Christine: . . . this isn't the end - there are things that can give your life meaning.
[long pause]
Yeah, that was ice cold.

Dr Strange spoilers:

[long pause]
Savage

Replicant

Dr Strange spoilers:

[long pause]

One of the many reasons I can't sympathize with the character. He's an asshole through and through.

xam3l

I was liking this movie very much... and then The Fools Who Dream happens... and then the rest.

La La Land is my new Love.

Messiek

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack.
It has been 3 days since I watched the movie and I'm still in love with it.

tribal24

Banned
I was so hype for this movie, finally saw it today. It was just ok the opening was the only memorable song, everything else is forgettable.

Phinor

Not sure if it was posted before(didn't see a link myself) but NPR had a pretty good interview with Damien Chazelle a while ago. Worth a read for anyone who loved the movie.

"NPR: 'La La Land' Director Aimed To Make A Film Even Musical Skeptics Would Love"

He certainly got this frog to boil and watch the movie. I don't really care for musicals but La La Land was one of the best movies I've seen in years. To be fair, I was always going to watch this movie no matter the genre because Whiplash was so fantastic but I didn't really expect to like pretty much everything about La La Land.

I might have to look into some of the recommendations people have posted here...

Theecliff

Banned
went to go see this the other day. very much enjoyed it and had a smile plastered on my face the entire time. the one song that has totally stuck with me is city of stars, a song good enough to make me ignore the fact that gosling's voice was quite clearly not cut out for all of this.

it hasn't stuck with me as much as whiplash did (and if i had to compare the two i definitely prefer that to this) which left me in awe the first time i saw it. that being said, despite their differences both have a tonne of love and respect for the subject matters they are tackling or paying homage to.

isny

napkin dispenser
I recently saw this here in Canada and the film was dark and grainy throughout. It was particularly evident in the opening scene where peoples faces were half blacked out due to dark shadowy blotches. Is this a thing? Or was it just the theatre I saw it at?

The print I saw was a digital conversion and not a 35mm print if that makes any difference?

As far as I was aware this film was supposed to look beautiful...but the trailers on Youtube seem to be less grainy and higher res than the print I saw.

Sean C

I recently saw this here in Canada and the film was dark and grainy throughout. It was particularly evident in the opening scene where peoples faces were half blacked out due to dark shadowy blotches. Is this a thing? Or was it just the theatre I saw it at?
That would definitely be the theatre.

Just finished seeing this (finally!) and that blew away my expectations, expectations which weren't exactly low going in (both from the reaction to it and from Whiplash). Musicals generally aren't my thing (although I do love Les Miserables, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory), so I was somewhat hesitant, but thankfully that was not necessary.

I wasn't a huge fan of City of Stars, but aside from that I felt the music worked really well, and the movie felt like a throwback to films of bygone days with a modern edge which just worked fantastically well together. There were some moments which, on their own, are somewhat sketchy, but the film was definitely more than just the sum of its parts.

The opening, the dinner scene mentioned above, the planetarium sequence, and the ending, were particular stand-out sequences for me; EDIT: I also loved the final audition. I can't wait to go and see it again.

Just caught the movie, and I enjoyed it. I think the style was slightly jarring...It had contemporary Hollywood framing and acting, with throwback classic style musical interludes...It felt a bit juxtoposing to me, but not too much so. The story was decent, if somewhat unremarkable. The ending left a bit of a punch, I felt for the Seb. The other guy looked a douche just by virtue of getting the girl haha. Otherwise, I agree that it put into sharp relief how privilidge class the anguish and the aspirations of the characters were. She looked like she had a pretty plush life despite struggling.

The more I listen to the soundtrack, the better it gets. Planetarium and Epilogue in particular get the emotions flowing. Heck, even the John Legend song is starting to grow on me.

Yeah, for me it hits when the chorus starts building up.

And the fact that the Planetarium dancing in the stars scene lines up musically with the same dancing in the stars of the Epilogue is a great touch

Ah forgot to add that, I enjoyed the actors performances. However, Emma stone has a pretty nice voice and decent dancing skills, I felt Gosling was pretty weak in both his dancing and singing. Had me chuckling a little. Got to give him credit for picking up some piano skills in a short period. Good effort, although not as relaxed/fluid as a pro would be obviously.

polg

I watched this today... I'm jumping on the hype train. Loved it so much. Such an imperfect love story, and I'm a sucker for one of those. I cried quite a bit in this move and I was not expecting to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom