• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga BORN THIS WAY Album |OT| Thread of Unicorns and Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Born This Way Single thread: 29 pages
Judas Single thread: 22 pages
Marry The Night video thread: 4 pages
Born This Way album thread: 65 pages

Total: 120 pages (~6000 posts) of worship thus far.

Could your fave?

ivZrXXqq2Yhv1.gif

I live in Orlando :O did not know this existed

23rd year anniversary on Tuesday. ;)

My first year with them as we're down from Chicago.

http://www.orlandogaychorus.org/

First show is at the John & Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center on the 18th. Free preview as we've only been practicing this run for a few weeks.

ArtsFest%202012%20Logo.jpg

Some of us are performing at P-House on the 16th at the Uncut Cabaret too. $15.

UNCUT%20Cabaret%202012.jpg

Spread the word to your peeps in ORL!

[ADVERTISEMENT OVER]

Kyon

Banned
i just moved to Orlando 2 weeks ago and i havent been out much since i havent found a new job yet. Im gonna look into this. Thanks

Allow me to say that even at page 17 I was right on the money that Government Hooker, Scheisse, Heavy Metal Lover, Marry the Night and Bloody Marry are the only good songs on the album.

*gif of sassy black woman doing a gesture, I have no idea where she's from or why she's famous*

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
"I need to say thank you tonight to Whitney Houston. I wanted to thank Whitney because when I wrote 'Born This Way,' I imagined she was singing it because I wasn't secure enough in myself to imagine I was a superstar. So Whitney, I imagined you were singing 'Born This Way' when I wrote it. Thank you." -Gaga

:(
And on this day

Kyon

Banned
"I need to say thank you tonight to Madonna. I wanted to thank Madonna because when I wrote 'Born This Way,' I imagined she was singing it because I wasn't secure enough in myself to imagine I was a superstar. So Madonna, I imagined you were singing 'Born This Way' when I wrote it. Thank you." -Gaga

:(
And on this day
What she really meant to say that night
iggling44q.gif

Allow me to say that even at page 17 I was right on the money that Government Hooker, Scheisse, Heavy Metal Lover, Marry the Night and Bloody Marry are the only good songs on the album.

The record company listened, they singled out MTN, even made a big, pompous video with it. It still underperformed.

Souldriver wrong here. Probably wrong with the rest.

Sai-kun

Banned
The record company listened, they singled out MTN, even made a big, pompous video with it. It still underperformed.

Souldriver wrong here. Probably wrong with the rest.

And Katy P has had 6 #1 singles. And Pitbull gets regular radio play.

Radio isn't always the best indicator of actual quality.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Oprah Winfrey to Join Lady Gaga for Born This Way Foundation Launch Event at Harvard University on February 29th
Other distinguished guests to include Deepak Chopra, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Professor Charles Ogletree

Lady Gaga and her mother, Cynthia Germanotta, announced today that Oprah Winfrey will be joining them at Harvard University for the official launch of the Born This Way Foundation (BTWF) on Wednesday, February 29th, 2012. Oprah will appear alongside Lady Gaga as she formally unveils BTWF before a crowd of policy makers, non-profit organizations, foundation leaders, students and youth at the Harvard Graduate School of Education's Askwith Forum.

Lady Gaga also will be joined by several renowned guests including prolific author and speaker Deepak Chopra, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius, and Charles Ogletree, Harvard Law School's Jesse Climenko Professor of Law and Director of the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice. The one-day event will be co-hosted by BTWF, Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society, the Harvard Graduate School of Education, the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and The California Endowment. Highlights of the launch event will be featured in an upcoming episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter" on OWN: OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK.

BTWF has partnered with the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, The California Endowment and The Berkman Center at Harvard to explore the best ways to reach youth and create a new culture of kindness, bravery, acceptance and empowerment. BTWF, a non-profit charitable organization, will address issues like self-confidence, well-being, anti-bullying, mentoring and career development through research, education and advocacy. With a focus on digital mobilization to create positive change, BTWF will lead youth into a braver new society where each individual is accepted and loved as the person they were born to be.

Additional details concerning the Born This Way Foundation launch will be announced closer to the event date, February 29th, 2012. Please visit: www.BornThisWayFoundation.org to take the pledge and become part of the movement.

when will your faves help change the world

Majmun

The woman next to Gaga is so hot. She looks a bit old, though. Whodat?
Britney wasn't at the Grammy's, was she?

Kyon

Banned
The woman next to Gaga is so hot. She looks a bit old, though. Whodat?
Britney wasn't at the Grammy's, was she?
Miranda Lambert country Queen. Britney went last year not this year. But she went to the Pre Grammy party which she hasn't attended in years even though she gets invites to the Pre Grammy and the Grammys lol

Koodo

Banned
New dates announced:

June 8 – Auckland, NZ (Vector Arena. On Sale on February 17th, 9 am)
June 14 – Brisbane, Australia (Brisbane Ent. Center. On Sale on February 17th, 9 am)
June 23 – Sydney, Australia (Allphones Arena. On Sale on February 17th, 9 am)
June 30 – Melbourne, Australia (Rod Laver Arena. On Sale on February 17th, 9 am)

lordt, I never thought I'd be so jealous of Australia.
zWz7n.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Got my loginz ready for ticket purchases tomorrow. I really shouldn't even be spending the money. Last time she was 85 bucks. Now it's $180! Hard to justify.

Ollie Pooch

HAHA knew I'd get that response.

Don't worry, when the pressure is on and the time is ticking down, I'll whip my c
c
out and do what needs to be done.

And Katy P has had 6 #1 singles. And Pitbull gets regular radio play.

Radio isn't always the best indicator of actual quality.

Meaningless statement since Gaga's previous successes was about scoring hits. Nothing about BTW signaled a change of direction for Gaga. She has underperformed by her own standards.

I still love the insinuation that Gaga is some kind of obscure, Indie artist refusing to sell out and shying away from the mainstream.

How can people forget Gaga has always been vying for the pop queen title?

I still love the insinuation that Gaga is some kind of obscure, Indie artist refusing to sell out and shying away from the mainstream.

I was gonna say this too but I didn't want to be scalped in here. The people saying Heavy Metal Lover is too "experimental" for radio...
o0RTa.gif

Has that been being insinuated? I always thought of her as pop, even when she first broke through with The Fame... I mean, once you're mainstream, you're mainstream, right? I don't know why that is even a thing. :/

I would never call HML "experimental," but an album can be mainstream without being radio-friendly. The whole "Born This Way" album is denser pop than TF and TFM, and I figured that the radio performance of most of its songs would depend on the hype behind her and how far the fans can carry them. The album is much more similar to something Robyn would release than her earlier albums (but only in density, not actual sound).

That said there are obviously more radio-friendly songs on the album than others, namely The Edge of Glory and Scheiße, but even simple tunes like Americano and Hair might not necessarily get much radio play. Songs like Highway Unicorn and Heavy Metal Lover are definitely two of her more ambitious and dense outings, and so I would never see them doing well on radio.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Born This Way Single thread: 29 pages
Judas Single thread: 22 pages
Marry The Night video thread: 4 pages
Born This Way album thread: 65 pages

Total: 120 pages (~6000 posts) of worship thus far.

Could your fave?

ivZrXXqq2Yhv1.gif

My fave has sold 300 million albums, had the best goddamn rock vocalist ever, wrote arrangements so complex it would make Gaga's head pop and has a guitarist who's an astrophysicist. Could your fave?

Just kidding, Queen aren't really my faves

Kyon

Banned
Born This Way as much as i hate that piece of shit song is the only solid radio friendly song on the album lol Bitch should have made this a continuation of Fame Monster lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i think lady gaga shot herself in the foot by making the fame monster SO AMAZE that by comparison BTW is a bit lacklustre

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Born This Way as much as i hate that piece of shit song is the only solid radio friendly song on the album lol Bitch should have made this a continuation of Fame Monster lol

The Edge of Glory was extremely radio friendly and peaked at #3, it would have gone #1 but she ruined it with the video

Also I dont think no one believes Gaga is an indie artist, she is a mainstream pop artist. People just dont expect her to whore herself to artist like Pitbull or other basic acts. RedOne is one of her main producers, that says enough of her direction

Has that been being insinuated? I always thought of her as pop, even when she first broke through with The Fame... I mean, once you're mainstream, you're mainstream, right? I don't know why that is even a thing. :/

It was insinuated when Katy Perry (and Pitbull) was mentionned, as proof that an artist with a string of number ones doesn't mean quality. Had Gaga achieved more success with the BTW album (like she, her label and her fans had desperately hoped), that argument would not even be used as it would then cast Gaga in a bad light.

Of course, Perry and Gaga are essentially the same kind of pop stars, regardless of which one scores hit singles.

Gaga, any way you want to spin it, is still very much style over substance and par for the course in the pop industry. The fact some of you guys blame the video for the Edge of Glory failing to become a #1 single is just further proof (never mind MTN or Judas). Adele just makes videos where she sits around or she walks by an harbor, no choregraphy, no pyrotechnics, as bare bone as it gets and she trounces Gaga. At some point you just have to admit the BTW songs are shit, at least the ones they decide to release as singles, and no fancy video will save them.

Ollie Pooch

30 mins to go. Dear Ticketek, when you have a 'seating map' it helps to label what areas are what. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom