• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga BORN THIS WAY Album |OT| Thread of Unicorns and Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
!!!
You got my hopes up for half a second.

tumblr_lz9bh2NPWP1qlr7h4.gif

I said goddamn, youtube link?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Monsters attacked Kelly Osbourne(on twitter) and now her mother is tweeting

I don't understand how @ladygaga, who is against bullying, allows these conversations to be held on her pages. It should be stopped.

. @MissKellyO and I are both huge @Ladygaga fans.

I texted @ladygaga's manager to look at her twitter because there are some very disturbing things being said on there.

I'm sure @ladygaga doesn't want to be associated with that kind of negativity and nastiness.

dead banana

Kyon

Banned
Twitter monsters used to be at the bottom of the food chain in terms of their rep. Now they are just a cult of gremlins. i always shade those hoes. They actually think they can drag a huge percent of them are 9-11yo chhhhhhhh... this needs to stop. They are delivering the opposite message that Gaga tries to give, its a disgrace to their fave.

It was insinuated when Katy Perry (and Pitbull) was mentionned, as proof that an artist with a string of number ones doesn't mean quality. Had Gaga achieved more success with the BTW album (like she, her label and her fans had desperately hoped), that argument would not even be used as it would then cast Gaga in a bad light.

Of course, Perry and Gaga are essentially the same kind of pop stars, regardless of which one scores hit singles.

Gaga, any way you want to spin it, is still very much style over substance and par for the course in the pop industry. The fact some of you guys blame the video for the Edge of Glory failing to become a #1 single is just further proof (never mind MTN or Judas). Adele just makes videos where she sits around or she walks by an harbor, no choregraphy, no pyrotechnics, as bare bone as it gets and she trounces Gaga. At some point you just have to admit the BTW songs are shit, at least the ones they decide to release as singles, and no fancy video will save them.

Hmm, I still don't understand the insinuation thing... I really don't think anyone perceives her in such a way, I mean, the cat is out of the bag. Even when people are defending her I don't get that she is this obscure underground artist. Sorry, I know you've already elaborated. :/

The songs aren't shit, but maybe more of a misstep on her part I think. I don't think she wound up catching the spirit she really wanted to, and that is my perfectly honest opinion. Her first two albums are far superior and, yes, have less substance, sure. I really like the route she was going with "the fame" theme and wanted her to delve more. The songs were more satirical and tongue-in-cheek in nature and that works for her. I think when she tries to be more substantial she unfortunately comes off as a bit corny. Oh well, maybe she will blow it out of the water with the new album, I'm hopeful.

I personally like BTW and I may not listen to one or two songs, but I don't usually listen to an album straight through for any artist... Unless it's Queen or something.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There was a feeling they captured in the video for "Telephone" that she hasn't had since - just something completely over the top, quite hilarious and 'wacky' for lack of a better word, and the ability to poke fun at herself and her place in pop culture. It suited her public persona brilliantly, all while being perfectly paced and edited with awesome dance routines and visuals.

She hasn't had that since - I like quite a few of the songs on BTW but most of the videos were horseshit, Edge of Glory in particular. Not one of them had any sense of fun to them whatsoever. I can see what she's been trying to do with them, but hasn't managed to pull it off, IMO. Personally I think she needs to take a step back and let someone else take the reins for the video side of things.

Koodo

Banned
Hmm, I still don't understand the insinuation thing... I really don't think anyone perceives her in such a way, I mean, the cat is out of the bag. Even when people are defending her I don't get that she is this obscure underground artist. Sorry, I know you've already elaborated. :/

The songs aren't shit, but maybe more of a misstep on her part I think. I don't think she wound up catching the spirit she really wanted to, and that is my perfectly honest opinion. Her first two albums are far superior and, yes, have less substance, sure. I really like the route she was going with "the fame" theme and wanted her to delve more. The songs were more satirical and tongue-in-cheek in nature and that works for her. I think when she tries to be more substantial she unfortunately comes off as a bit corny. Oh well, maybe she will blow it out of the water with the new album, I'm hopeful.

I personally like BTW and I may not listen to one or two songs, but I don't usually listen to an album straight through for any artist... Unless it's Queen or something.
This is a good post, but here's a tip: don't bother with Instigator. There's a reason none of us have answered obviously inflammatory statements such as "admit that it's shit." He's been trolling the Gaga threads extensively (and keeps name dropping Adele for no other reason than to be in a bandwagon).

Just ignore him and leave him to fester with his cold popcorn in hand.

Anyhow! To engage in on-topic discussion, I agree with the sentiment "I don't think she wound up catching the spirit she really wanted to." Born This Way is a disjointed album (the first half, in particular). I don't particularly enjoy when an artist creates an album so cohesive that it turns monotonous, but being all over the place isn't good either.

I also remember Gaga promising sledge hammering beats and really bitter, confrontational lyrics... but really, aside from a few instances here and there, she speaks vanilla politics. And too many tracks on the album delved into upbeat, creamy anthemic melodies, so the record as a whole being "sledge-hammering" didn't quite come to fruition.

That being said, it's still my favorite pop album of 2011. Born This Ways is leagues more creative, personal and fulfilling than whatever her mainstream peers are putting out. This is likely a byproduct of Gaga being involved in every facet of the project. It's her record, and her achievements and errors to claim. Someone like Rihanna, on the other hand, can't really claim much beyond "well, I chose this song."

By the way, rumors are that she will return to the topic of fame for the next album (the "crimes" committed for fame, and the consequences of fame, have been some of the hinted themes). Hopefully this also means the return of satire in her work. We'll see.

here's a tip: don't bother with Instigator. There's a reason none of us have answered obviously inflammatory statements such as "admit that it's shit." He's been trolling the Gaga threads extensively (and keeps name dropping Adele for no other reason than to be in a bandwagon).

lol

I don't even like any of the Adele singles but she is in stark contrast with Gaga. No gimmicks and she's very successful at it. That's the reason why she's brought up. Well, that and Monsters attacking her. I know you know it's true, but you're just playing dumb; trolling the troll.

Just ignore him and leave him to fester with his cold popcorn in hand.

Too late. You've already given me the satisfaction of your post. You will respond to me, even if indirectly. :p

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Lady Gaga ‏ @ladygaga
Oh the irony of winning "Most Pretentious Album Ever" from none other than NME. *eyeroll* I might laugh forever + then return to narcissism

I love this Gaga, expose their lies

ibtRj1jNpP1pzD.gif

Kyon

Banned
It IS pretentious no tea no shade.The album slayed the other gurls also, But nevertheless the tea was spilled and smothered all over that mag's wig.
Zw3dO.gif

Grimmy

Banned
I'm in Hong Kong now. Just got back home at around 3AM and passed by a row of old grandpas and pre-teens all waiting in line for something. It only occurred to me that they were all waiting for Lady Gaga tickets! I heard that she's now doing a 2nd show here due to popular demand. Strange - don't the kids need to sleep?

Nemesis_

I'm in Hong Kong now. Just got back home at around 3AM and passed by a row of old grandpas and pre-teens all waiting in line for something. It only occurred to me that they were all waiting for Lady Gaga tickets! I heard that she's now doing a 2nd show here due to popular demand. Strange - don't the kids need to sleep?

She has announced about five more shows on top of about twelve when she's here in Australia too =O

JackEtc

So did any of you guys watch the stream from Harvard with Gaga talking about the BTW Foundation?

I was kind of half listening to it while it was going on, was sort of interesting. A lot of the anti-bullying stuff I don't really agree with, though. It's the traditional "If you are being bullied, talk to someone about it" spiel. I've seen that not work first hand with my little brother, and I think that if you are being physically bullied you have every right to beat the shit out of the bully, as long as you don't throw the first punch. But that's just me though, lol. The rest of what Gaga was talking about was alright.

I can't seem to find a video of the event at the moment, though. I go to the page the stream is on and YouTube says the video is marked as private =\.

Koodo

Banned
I hope the tour comprising 110 dates was just a lowball estimate, because they keep adding more and more dates in Australia and Asia, and they haven't even announced Europe and South America yet. Bitch will probably have done 110 tour dates before even stepping foot in North America.
rsnRP.gif

By the way, the Ball has apparently been selling gangbusters, including stadium sell outs. Your faves remain so oppressed.

So did any of you guys watch the stream from Harvard with Gaga talking about the BTW Foundation?

I was kind of half listening to it while it was going on, was sort of interesting. A lot of the anti-bullying stuff I don't really agree with, though. It's the traditional "If you are being bullied, talk to someone about it" spiel. I've seen that not work first hand with my little brother, and I think that if you are being physically bullied you have every right to beat the shit out of the bully, as long as you don't throw the first punch. But that's just me though, lol. The rest of what Gaga was talking about was alright.

I can't seem to find a video of the event at the moment, though. I go to the page the stream is on and YouTube says the video is marked as private =\.
It might not necessarily help alleviate the bullying, but it could alleviate the suffering of the victim; and from what I've seen and read about the foundation (and going by the name), that seems to be a major focus. To be comfortable with yourself and have the courage to be public rather than keeping all that hell locked up inside.

I would say the foundation is more of an empowering movement rather than social surgery, and I think that's great.

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/03/gagaharvard.html#.T09yAEFopEI.facebook

JackEtc

Got a free $2 MP3 credit from Amazon as I just bought my first iPod. =) I bought The Edge of Glory and Marry The Night. Didn't like the other songs I heard from this album that GAF recommended to me a few months back but am very happy with these two and I got em for free! =) I've liked the two for some time now and the free credit was a perfect excuse to do what I should have done earlier. Now that I got Gaga on my computer I guess I should go hunt for The Fame that I have in a bin somewhere and put the few songs of hers that I like from that album on my computer too.

I got tickets to the third Auckland show, after the first two sold out pretty quick. Yay!

Her show last year was incred. Or was it 2009?

Nemesis_

What a troll.

FaXV4.png

I really hope for her next album she works with some more established producers. I realise her artistic vision is better realised with her producers that aren't all the "in" but at the same time I want another commercial pop record similar to The Fame Monster. Even if she gets RedOne back on board for more of the tracks.

I have listened to MDNA so many times now and some parts are absolutely terrible, but the parts that are really good are REALLY FUCKING GOOD. I kind of hope she works with William Orbit too but I really doubt that will happen.

Tomodachi

I have listened to MDNA so many times now and some parts are absolutely terrible, but the parts that are really good are REALLY FUCKING GOOD. I kind of hope she works with William Orbit too but I really doubt that will happen.
Exactly what I thought about MDNA. Except that the terrible parts are more than the really fucking good unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I like the album and I always loved Madonna, but some tracks are trash, reminds me a lot of The Fame (except that was a debut album).

Nemesis_

Laurie-Ann Gibson speaks out on the split.

Laurieann Gibson, former choreographer-turned-creative-director for Lady Gaga, is speaking up about her parting from Mother Monster’s entourage.

Last November it was announced that Gibson would no longer be collaborating with Gaga.

She initially stated that she decided to “step away” and was “very proud” of Gaga. But in a new interview with Entertainment Tonight Canada, Gibson spills a bit more info as to why she split.

“No judgment, but it just got a little dark for me, creatively,” Gibson said during the program. She later added,“I think it just reached the point where I wanted to keep the brand that I had helped build a little purer and still accessing the kids, and it was fun for me. But gets difficult when it gets a little dark and heavy.”

Pure and kid-friendly? How to explain, then, Gibson’s work on Nicki MInaj’s scandalous Grammy exorcism of alter ego Roman Zolanski, then?

“I said, you wanna do what? I said, oh, lord, pray for me — I need a little help with this vision,” Gibson told ET. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, it seems, Laurieann.

Koodo

Banned
I'm glad she was excised out of the Haus.

BY THE WAY, I hope y'all Aussies know about the obligation to GAGAF. We expect videos and impressions of the concert. /northamerica

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
BS, she was fired. She thought Gaga's vision was to dark but then goes on to do Nicki's exorcism, disrespectful mess

Also Gaga's birthday is on Wednesday, hoping she gives us a present

Nemesis_

I'm glad she was excised out of the Haus.

BY THE WAY, I hope y'all Aussies know about the obligation to GAGAF. We expect videos and impressions of the concert. /northamerica

Impressions, sure. I have been told by my friends who work at the venue that there's a strict NO CAMERA policy =(

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Impressions, sure. I have been told by my friends who work at the venue that there's a strict NO CAMERA policy =(
Ill have to do my best with my iPhone :p

We can't have someone openly admit your girl brazenly appropriates from other artists, now can we?

Maybe now Gaga can stick to playing the freak which she so naturally embodies.
That article is from November.

Nemesis_

#dead

Granted there were many people who got hyped up for BTW and ended up disappointed. In my case the album lived up to my crazy high expectations.

I'll start boarding the hype train right about NOW.

I'm gonna have to add NEW ALBUM to the OT at some point. A lot of stuff is starting to pile up again.

We can't have someone openly admit your girl brazenly appropriates from other artists, now can we?

Maybe now Gaga can stick to playing the freak which she so naturally embodies.

Really? We're digging this up now? =/

Nemesis_

Gaga just tweeted part of her birthday cake.

LABjU.jpg

Meanwhile

aguileraozuah.gif

Also, Kelly Osbourne keeps tweeting how much she LOVES MDNA. I'm sure you DO KELLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom