• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAPD Officer's Op-Ed: "Don't challenge us and we won't hurt you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

How can you disagree with this? They have the guns, they will win an altercation.

Resisting arrest is about the stupidest thing you can do. Being required to comply with police orders is the entire basis of policing. Are we supposed to be allowed to say "no thanks, I don't feel like being arrested today"?

So it's better to resist and likely get injured or killed than to comply and probably not get injured or killed?

No.

If you're not validly under arrest you should be able to resist. The onus is on the police to do their fucking job properly.

Vyroxis

Banned
The guy ain't wrong. Treat them with respect, calm the fuck down, and don't do anything dumb and you'll come out just fine.

Argue with them, cause them grief, or dumb enough to try and take one on? I got no pity for you.

Laekon

While it's been cops killing and shooting people all over the news recently don't forget that cops get shot all the time for no reason to. It's not a job I would want to have.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-held-minnesota-officer-killed-traffic-stop/story?id=24781737

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoI4G1fWmEQ

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-shootout-pursuit-20140818-story.html

Notice in the first two the cops are shot by white guys. The 2nd link is really sad as the cop had time and every right to shot the guy and save his own life.

There are shitty people in all walks of life. People always talk about soldiers being heroes but the worst people I've known were ones I meet in the Army.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
He's being honest. Like it or not cops are people. When people get put in tense situations unpredictable things can happen no matter how much training they have. This is amplified by both sides of the confrontation having fears based on preconceptions and prejudices. So the question is do you want to test a persons resolve who has been given the use of deadly force by society? In theory you should, but it's not practical. As we have seen can result in someone getting killed.

As condescending and prick-ish as this guy is, it's good advice.

It's victim blaming at its finest. He's not asking people to be polite because they may stumble with a bad cop, but literally telling the public that he, himself, the writer of that very article, may use lethal force against you for doing as much as mouthing off or walking towards him.

Jesus fuck. I hope none of you are anything but well-groomed white men with collared shirts when you're pulled over by a cop who just found out his wife is fucking a black neighbor.

You do not have to comply with police if they are acting illegally. You should not have to comply with police if they are acting illegally. Ever. Under any circumstances. Ever. You should not be told, BY POLICE, to "deal with it" in the event of an illegal interaction with law enforcement. You should not be conditioned to accept a society where law enforcement can abuse citizens as a matter of first recourse.

The entire article is washing away the fact that officers ROUTINELY interact with citizens in illegal, violent ways. Mostly minorities. To tell people that they should suck it up and be literally violated, just to write a letter to someone who won't give it a second look, is among the most ridiculous examples of people jerking off a broken and abusive authoritarian system I can imagine.

Think about the world you live in. Think about whether or not you want to have someone who can stop you, middle of the street, and literally demand that you acquiesce to their every whim simply because they have a gun. That is what this Op-Ed is supporting.

Of course that SHOULDN'T happen. But in your post you acknowledge it does.

So if an officer pulls you over for some bullshit, and he has just found out his wife is fucking a black guy, what are you gonna do? He's a psychopath with a gun. Of course it should not happen ever. But when it does holy shit why would you antagonize the guy who can legally kill you on a whim?

He doesn't condone what the officers are doing, and he even calls for them all to have cameras. To me he's just saying the obvious: if your rights are being violated, obviously it's a bad cop, and why would you give them a reason to shoot you?

(Just because people get killed by cops when they do comply, it doesn't make this any less of a harm minimization technique)

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
To everyone complaining about the article, what's your complaint? His advice seems like common sense for the vast majority of police interactions. Ultimately, he's not saying that action X, Y, or Z taken by the police is right or wrong; he's just stating what is and what is not the proper method of raising the impropriety of the police action.

pj

Banned
No.

If you're not validly under arrest you should be able to resist. The onus is on the police to do their fucking job properly.

That is beside the point. Everything leading up to "you are under arrest" is irrelevant.

At the point when a cop decides to arrest you, WHAT IS THE BENEFIT of resisting? You will not get away. You may end up dead. You will get additional charges (assault, resisting).

If your rights have been violated then your only recourse is legal action.

Please describe a scenario where a cop tries to arrest you illegally and you resist as you think you should. Play it out to its conclusion.

kitch9

Banned
Jesus fuck. I hope none of you are anything but well-groomed white men with collared shirts when you're pulled over by a cop who just found out his wife is fucking a black neighbor.

You do not have to comply with police if they are acting illegally. You should not have to comply with police if they are acting illegally. Ever. Under any circumstances. Ever. You should not be told, BY POLICE, to "deal with it" in the event of an illegal interaction with law enforcement. You should not be conditioned to accept a society where law enforcement can abuse citizens as a matter of first recourse.

The entire article is washing away the fact that officers ROUTINELY interact with citizens in illegal, violent ways. Mostly minorities. To tell people that they should suck it up and be literally violated, just to write a letter to someone who won't give it a second look, is among the most ridiculous examples of people jerking off a broken and abusive authoritarian system I can imagine.

Think about the world you live in. Think about whether or not you want to have someone who can stop you, middle of the street, and literally demand that you acquiesce to their every whim simply because they have a gun. That is what this Op-Ed is supporting.

A little hyperbolic with a fairly out there straw man thrown in.

The guy ain't wrong. Treat them with respect, calm the fuck down, and don't do anything dumb and you'll come out just fine.

Argue with them, cause them grief, or dumb enough to try and take one on? I got no pity for you.
The problem lies with the fact that some cops don't need a reason to violate your rights; merely looking a certain way is grounds for them to act with violence. How do you protect yourself from that? Just look at all the recorded instances of policemen beating people under the pretense of "they were resisting" when they define "resisting" as drawing breath.

Why did you quote me in this response? I agree that you shouldn't comply with illegal demands and made that clear in my post, unless you disagree with the whole "being polite" part.

You kind of got caught in the crossfire bruh. But to be honest with you, the idea that someone can or should be "polite" while refusing to obey illegal commands from an officer is fantasy world logic. No cop is going to allow someone to refuse politely, and very few people have the calm and patience to be abused directly by someone with a gun and authority without losing their shit.

How do you define police "acting illegally"? Is it what you believe is illegal or what is actually illegal? I'm not a lawyer so how do I know if I'm actually being arrested legally or not?

I don't know the law, but lets say that you're right and you don't have to comply.

Then what? They fucking shoot you.

If I comply, maybe I get charged with something, maybe I don't. If they did something illegal, maybe I sue them and get tons of money like that dude in NYC who got 125k after getting arrested for filming the cops.

I just don't see the benefit of not complying.

Nothing is going change with this attitude. Yes, you were illegally stopped, searched, detained, and the officers took your money and do not intend to return it. You can write a strongly worded letter to their commanding officer. To city officials. To your state representative and senator. To the mayor. To your governor. To the Los Angeles Times. To Rachel Maddow..

Guess what? Thousands of other people are writing these letters. Daily. Millions are writing them monthly. Television segments are dedicated to them. Op-Ed sections. Speeches. 99% of the time, nothing is going to happen. 1% of the time you will get a significant payout. And 100% of the time you will be contributing to the continual pushback of civil rights by an aggressive, militarized, and largely corrupt American law enforcement community.

So yes, the benefit of complying is "only" the fact that without you and me and our fellow citizens planting our feet on the ground and refusing to allow the gross mistreatment of Americans by police, shit is just going to stay the same. And I don't want things the same.

Of course that SHOULDN'T happen. But in your post you acknowledge it does.

So if an officer pulls you over for some bullshit, and he has just found out his wife is fucking a black guy, what are you gonna do? He's a psychopath with a gun. Of course it should not happen ever. But when it does holy shit why would you antagonize the guy who can legally kill you on a whim?

He doesn't condone what the officers are doing, and he even calls for them all to have cameras. To me he's just saying the obvious: if your rights are being violated, obviously it's a bad cop, and why would you give them a reason to shoot you?

(Just because people get killed by cops when they do comply, it doesn't make this any less of a harm minimization technique)

^^^^^ see above

Piecake

Yep, just comply. They are just trying to do their job and enforce the law. I mean, it is completely unheard of that a significant number of police and police departments make false arrests so that they can seize your assets. Oh wait...

This is likely a bad thing and likely caused by some emotion rather than logical thinking, but I have pretty much lost respect for police officers over the last year or so.

To everyone complaining about the article, what's your complaint? His advice seems like common sense for the vast majority of police interactions. Ultimately, he's not saying that action X, Y, or Z taken by the police is right or wrong; he's just stating what is and what is not the proper method of raising the impropriety of the police action.

There is no proper method because it is virtually impossible to get justice if a cop infringed on your rights.

Well, I'd be surprised to find anyone who actually thought something positive would come from doing any of those things he mentioned, especially in a tense situation. Right or wrong, it should be common sense to not do anything from that list unless you want something negative to happen.

Speaking solely on the list, not on what else is going on in the world.

bomma_man

That is beside the point. Everything leading up to "you are under arrest" is irrelevant.

At the point when a cop decides to arrest you, WHAT IS THE BENEFIT of resisting? You will not get away. You may end up dead. You will get additional charges (assault, resisting).

If your rights have been violated then your only recourse is legal action.

Please describe a scenario where a cop tries to arrest you illegally and you resist as you think you should. Play it out to its conclusion.

Nguyen v Elliot (1995) VSC 754

Not America, but you didn't specify

Frog-fu

Banned
While the tone of this article comes across as very bullish and kind of pisses me off, the officer is not completely wrong. He seems to give the same kind inflammatory advice we often see with victims of crime, e.g. "don't have your valuables out" or "don't wear certain clothes" type of advice that is construed as victim blaming.

The tone of the article rubs me the wrong way, but there is some truth to it. People don't like it when they're told to submit and are thus quick to bag on this man because of it (I'd say the tone of this article alone warrants it), but I can't see his words as complete bullshit. It's fucked up but it's practical advice given the kind of police culture that exists in the US. At least this officer seems to agree change is necessary, and is in support of all officer having cameras on their person whilst on duties and such.

I'm seriously contemplating getting hood/dash cams for my car. And my phone will start recording as soon as I start seeing any police action.

Fair and honest police is all I ask for. Not what Op-Ed person is espousing.

Well, I'd be surprised to find anyone who actually thought something positive would come from doing any of those things he mentioned, especially in a tense situation. Right or wrong, it should be common sense to not do anything from that list unless you want something negative to happen.

Speaking solely on the list, not on what else is going on in the world.

I think it's also common sense to expect a little resistance in the form of arguing or rudeness when someone feels unfairly targeted. It's human nature. It shouldn't give cops the right to rough them up.

A little hyperbolic with a fairly out there straw man thrown in.

It's hyperbole that police routinely practice illegal search and seizure methods?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

^^^

posted by piecake by the way

It's hyperbole that police wantonly throw tear gas into the streets of an American neighborhood

http://grantland.com/features/ferguson-missouri-protest-michael-brown-murder-police/

It's hyperbole that police officers rarely, if ever, face accountability for their role in shootings

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/ferguson-police-officer-shootings-indictments-convictions

Everything is fine in America, because everything is fine with you.

It's fucked up but it's practical advice given the kind of police culture that exists in the US.

It's practical advice for perpetuating the broken and corrupt system officers have been accustomed to, that's for sure.

pj

Banned
Nothing is going change with this attitude. Yes, you were illegally stopped, searched, detained, and the officers took your money and do not intend to return it. You can write a strongly worded letter to their commanding officer. To city officials. To your state representative and senator. To the mayor. To your governor. To the Los Angeles Times. To Rachel Maddow..

Guess what? Thousands of other people are writing these letters. Daily. Millions are writing them monthly. Television segments are dedicated to them. Op-Ed sections. Speeches. 99% of the time, nothing is going to happen. 1% of the time you will get a significant payout. And 100% of the time you will be contributing to the continual pushback of civil rights by an aggressive, militarized, and largely corrupt American law enforcement community.

So yes, the benefit of complying is "only" the fact that without you and me and our fellow citizens planting our feet on the ground and refusing to allow the gross mistreatment of Americans by police, shit is just going to stay the same. And I don't want things the same.

Ok, and what changes with the "i dont need to comply" attitude? The cops get more aggressive and the us vs. them chasm widens.

The time of arrest is the absolute worst time to assert your rights. Public debate, better police training, legislation and enforcement are the only things that will change it. Violent interactions with the police are only going to make matters worse.

Xenon

It's victim blaming at its finest. He's not asking people to be polite because they may stumble with a bad cop, but literally telling the public that he, himself, the writer of that very article, may use lethal force against you for doing as much as mouthing off or walking towards him.

You're confusing what has happened in the past with advice for the future. He even says if you cross the line he should be rightfully arrested .

Dude Abides

Banned
I agree with the article. Cops should be treated like large aggressive animals, as they are similarly unpredictable, dangerous, and quickly resort to violence. So avoid them if at all possible, but if an interaction is inevitable, do not provoke them.

You're confusing what is happened in the past with advice for the future. He even says if you cross the line he should be rightfully arrested .

But that line is blurry and not well defined at this point. We've had people beaten and killed for 'resisting arrest' when they weren't doing anything.

Lately it's "STOP RESISTING" being used to ultimately trample on people's rights and give cops a reason to beat the shit out of someone.

What would constitute "agressively walking" towards someone?

Besides walking while black, obviously.

biDFHU0.gif

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
There is no proper method because it is virtually impossible to get justice if a cop infringed on your rights.

But to the extent that this is true, how does it affect the author's suggestions? It seems like the solution in that case is still going to arise from something other than belligerence at the time of the police interaction (such as changing the law or police oversight procedures).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

As a minority whose gotten out of bad situations with police officers only because I didn't agitate them, I must say I don't know what you're talking about. The cop has a gun, I don't. The cop has a club, I don't. The cop (may) have a tazer, I don't. The cop has hand cuffs, I don't. While I don't have a bad temperament, can I be sure the cop doesn't? No. While the cop and I have equal authority to arrest each other if the other is breaking a law, whose has a system in place to help them enforce the law? The cop does, I don't.

Being cited or arrested on a false charge is a very real possibility, as is catching a brutal and possibly fatal beating at the hands of a person who's job makes them a more respected member of the community. When it's my word against theirs, and it's up to me to prove that I haven't done any thing wrong if they want to say I have, I have a responsibility to myself to not egg them on. I have an even bigger responsibility to not let it get to such a point, by making any interactions with law enforcement go as quickly and as smoothly as possible.

Is that they way things should work? No. But my comment wasn't based on the way things should be, it was based on the way things are in reality. If a cop is having a bad day, you don't want give them any excuse to take it out on you. If a cop feels that they're in danger, you have to do what you can to make sure they don't feel like you're a threat.

And, let's look at it from a different point of view: Cops enforce laws. That by its nature means that they have to interact often with the people that are bending or breaking those laws. If the cop is a good guy, shouldn't you, as a productive, caring member of society do what you can to make their job easier? After all, they're the ones making sure society's rules aren't broken.

pj

Banned
Nguyen v Elliot (1995) VSC 754

Not America, but you didn't specify

You're going to have to summarize for me because I googled and it was all law gibberish to me.

Cops define resisting as struggling to breathe and / or shielding yourself from blows and punches.

That is complete nonsense and you know it. A bad cop may SAY that in defense of something they did illegally, but no court would convict someone of the crime of resisting arrest for "struggling to breathe"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One more time: It's not the tone. It's the actual message.

He's not saying "you may find a bad cop, so you win nothing resisting", which is something agreeable when you consider the circumstances, but the fact that he, the author of that Op-Ed, is openly saying that he may beat you or worse for mouthing off. Because he's a cop. And that's the shit he does, so you better suck it up and (if you are still breathing) lodge a complain later if you think your rights have been violated.

He's automatically laying the fact that he believes he has the implicit right to use lethal force on you for flipping the bird or walking towards him. So you better behave, because he's a cop and you are not.

You kind of got caught in the crossfire bruh. But to be honest with you, the idea that someone can or should be "polite" while refusing to obey illegal commands from an officer is fantasy world logic. No cop is going to allow someone to refuse politely, and very few people have the calm and patience to be abused directly by someone with a gun and authority without losing their shit.

^^^^^ see above

So you can't refuse politely, but you can't comply because otherwise things are going to stay the same...

So what are you going to do? I'm genuinely interested. You'd resist the cop, have a higher chance of get beaten up and potentially fatally shot, for what exactly? A better story to tell Rachel Maddow? To be a martyr? Maybe I'm just a coward but fuck contributing to civil rights if it means I have to risk my life going one on one against a pissed off cop with a loaded gun.

Of course it's wrong.

If a mugger comes up to you with a knife and says "gimme your wallet or I'll cut you"

Do you have the right to resist? Yes

Would it be stupid to resist? Yes

Ideally there would be no muggers or power tripping cops, but that's not the world we live in.

So...wait what? What is going on? What are you doing to your keyboard?

Xenon

But that line is blurry and not well defined at this point. We've had people beaten and killed for 'resisting arrest' when they weren't doing anything.

Lately it's "STOP RESISTING" being used to ultimately trample on people's rights and give cops a reason to beat the shit out of someone.

Again he said he should be arrested if he did that.

walking aggressively or insulting a police officer is grounds for arrest?

I don't believe that's what he said. That is definitely not what I am saying.

I agree with the article. Cops should be treated like large aggressive animals, as they are similarly unpredictable, dangerous, and quickly resort to violence. So avoid them if at all possible, but if an interaction is inevitable, do not provoke them.

Exactly, the guy is giving us great advice. Don't look them in the eyes, and do as they say. Or you could have a bad day.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You're confusing what has happened in the past with advice for the future. He even says if you cross the line he should be rightfully arrested .

He's using the same contradictory, wishy washy, apologist bullshit we see each day.

"There are bad cops. Not all cops are bad. We have difficult jobs, so you must understand". And then he goes for the kill:

Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line: if you don’t want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Don’t argue with me, don’t call me names, don’t tell me that I can’t stop you, don’t say I’m a racist pig, don’t threaten that you’ll sue me and take away my badge. Don’t scream at me that you pay my salary, and don’t even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

A bully through and through. "You have rights, except when I decide that I've gotten enough of you".

Ok, and what changes with the "i dont need to comply" attitude? The cops get more aggressive and the us vs. them chasm widens.

The time of arrest is the absolute worst time to assert your rights. Public debate, better police training, legislation and enforcement are the only things that will change it. Violent interactions with the police are only going to make matters worse.

What changes with the "I don't need to comply" attitude?

Police will be abusive, publicly, more often. Police and their enablers will not be able to sweep their widespread corruption under the rug. Minorities will not be forced to deal with an overly aggressive and militarized police force alone, and the only class of people with true political power (white, middle class and above) will be subjected to the same treatment as others. At which point they will see the injustice of the system and force change.

The ONLY way change will be enacted is if the average citizen refuses to subject themselves to the illegal and aggressive methods of corrupt police officers. Publicly and loudly. if soccer moms are being thrown on the hoods of cars and thrown in county for a week, people will care. But, I guess that's too much to ask from the only group of people in America who aren't being bent over by police on a daily basis.

Articles like this are a plea to preserve the system made directly toward the only people who can change it. "Don't do anything, we don't hurt you" the officer says as corruption runs rampant, bodies pile up in the streets, and money is stolen from people who had the temerity to drive through the wrong county.

Liltte known American fact.

In the 50s and 60s, these exact same arguments were levied against African American citizens who complained about police brutality.

I am happy to see that since then, nothing has changed.

PROGRESS!™

While it's been cops killing and shooting people all over the news recently don't forget that cops get shot all the time for no reason to. It's not a job I would want to have.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-held-minnesota-officer-killed-traffic-stop/story?id=24781737

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoI4G1fWmEQ

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-shootout-pursuit-20140818-story.html

Notice in the first two the cops are shot by white guys. The 2nd link is really sad as the cop had time and every right to shot the guy and save his own life.

There are shitty people in all walks of life. People always talk about soldiers being heroes but the worst people I've known were ones I meet in the Army.

You know what this post is like. This post is like someone saying "Yes Priests molests kids but check out all these priests who have been molested. Its so sad! There are bad people everywhere!"

Jag

What the fuck people. You have an absolute constitutional right to call a cop a racist pig. The reality is that you will probably get a beating for doing so, but that's not the law.

If a copy gives you a lawful order, you have to comply but you don't have to shut your mouth. Unfortunately cops don't even know this.

Is that they way things should work? No. But my comment wasn't based on the way things should be, it was based on the way things are in reality. If a cop is having a bad day, you don't want give them any excuse to take it out on you. If a cop feels that they're in danger, you have to do what you can to make sure they don't feel like you're a threat.

It's not the way things work. But it is how they should work, which means you should be willing to sacrifice the convenience of your day, week, month, year, and life to protect an innocent man in New York who could be strangled to death by an officer for no reason. Large scale resistance--legal, justified, non-aggressive resistance--from our citizens is what I am advocating. I'm sorry that may be an obstacle in achieving what you want out of life. I wish Mike Brown were able to be inconvenienced in that way today.

And, let's look at it from a different point of view: Cops enforce laws. That by its nature means that they have in interact often with the people that are bending or breaking those laws. If the cop is a good guy, shouldn't you, as a productive, caring member of society do what you can to make their job easier? After all, they're the ones making sure society's rules aren't broken.

Law enforcement officers are not "the good guys". They are people. People can be good or bad.

abadguy

Banned
While reading OP i again am brought back to that vid where cops pull over a black guy. He complies with their demands and still gets fucked up. I mean holding your hands up the whole time while a cop is yelling "stop going for my gun"! while punching you in the fucking face, shit like this pretty much shows you don't have to "provoke" them in the least. I think maybe if law enforcement wasn't filled with psychotic , aggressive wannabe Dirty Harry types things could start moving to being a lot better.

Seems Cops have little to no interest in building the trust of the community ( especially black communities) they are meant to protect. They have a problem with treating people like fucking human beings and that is why they aren't getting the respect and cooperation they are looking for. Shit like what's written in the OP doesn't help either. Sure i am not looking to agitate any cops trying to do their jobs, but at the same time people who work for a living and are just minding their own business, don't like being harassed and treated like shit by some asshole in a uniform for no other reason than, he can. ( among other things) People start to get tired of this treatment and begin to push back.

bomma_man

You're going to have to summarize for me because I googled and it was all law gibberish to me.

That is complete nonsense and you know it. A bad cop may SAY that in defense of something they did illegally, but no court would convict someone of the crime of resisting arrest for "struggling to breathe"

Police tried to search a guy even though they were "merely curious" rather than the requisite "reasonably suspicious", dude assumed a "martial arts pose" and beat the shit out of both of them. Despite his resistance the arrest was still unlawful and he got off on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom