• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Let me preface this opening post by saying that there is another perfectly fine official thread for this game created by Larson Conway which has all that you'd expect from a traditional official topic. For all the finer details, please visit this thread. It's filled with the type of nitty gritty fact sheets that will fill you in on the various gameplay details. It's an awesome official topic and it demands your attention.

But this won't be like one of those topics. My OP is going to exist for the sole purpose of trying to articulate why this game is so special and why it has inspired in me such a inner fire to get others to play it. Everyone knows how prone I am to hyperbole, but most of the time it's real tongue-and-cheek and I'm just being over the top because that's who I am. Yet there are a few games this gen that have really just done it for me, that have defined what I feel gaming is all about. Demon's Souls. Super Mario Galaxy. Bioshock. The Orange Box. And yes now, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

There was a moment early on in Lara Croft when I knew the game was something special. It's in the first level, which is really easy. It finishes with this climactic little race over a pool of spikes and then some ever forwarding walls you gotta climb, and the last few are too high so you gotta throw your spear and use it as leverage. Now the very last platform can't take your spears, so you gotta throw up your grapple hook to reach the thing. But I didn't see that hook point the first time, so I'm frantically tossing spears at the wall like "W-T-F" and I'm almost out of floor space (so basically I'm gonna fall into the spikes) and at the last possible second I throw out that grapple hook and it grabs hold, as I hang perilously over the spikes. Heart pounding, I recover and finish the level.

Now, Lara Croft isn't a difficult game. It's got tons of weapons and tons of content, but whether on two player or single player, it's a fairly easy title. The fun in this game is derived purely from the cleverness of it all, the way the gameplay melds together to form this cohesive, arcade-like whole. Even though it was easy, there were many times I just grinned from ear to ear at how amazing it was nobody ever thought of this system or that system before. It flows and works together so well, it might as well be a Nintendo game. That's the type of polish this game has.

So what specifically about the gameplay separates it from any other arcade action game?

There are three main mechanics that really catapult this game into something genuinely special.

The Spear

It is a basic enough concept. You have a spear that you can toss anywhere, and it'll stick onto a wall. Using the spear, Lara Croft can jump onto it and reach higher and higher platforms. Lara Croft's jumps are "sticky" around the spears, so you won't find it hard to be surefooted. You get three spears you can toss around, and when you toss the fourth spear the first spear you tossed will disappear. This is a central mechanic in many of the games puzzles and obstacles.

In co-op, Totec is the only one with the spear, and so whoever is playing as Lara Croft must rely on his skill to get you where you need to go.

It sounds so simple, so why hasn't anyone ever fleshed it out the way this team has? Hard to say. There have been co-operative experiences before but none have replicated it quite like this. And when you throw in just how perfectly the isometric perspective seemingly helps these mechanics, it's alone in its feat.

The closest thing I can relate it to is LOST VIKINGS. If you like those games, you should really check this one out too.

The Grapple Hook

Lara Croft has had the grapple hook before, so what makes this so special? On single player, it functions much like it does in the main games. You can toss the grapple hook out at specific points to help you swing across gaps or climb up ledges. Additionally, the grapple hook has specific rope-like properties, so you can pull it taut around objects or corners in order to solve puzzles and whatnot.

It's in co-op that this mechanic becomes something truly amazing. And if you have the wrong friend, pretty much it's the most evil thing ever. Basically in co-op, only Lara has the grapple hook. And since Totec can't climb on his own spears, the other player must rely on Lara to toss the grapple hook down for Totec to climb up ledges that are too high. Or Lara must toss the grapple hook across a gap to create a rope bridge, and of course... should the first player feel devious... he might just accidentally "forget" to hold the button down. And then Totec might "accidentally" fall into a pit of spikes.

It just feels so PERFECT too. Like, everything about it from control to the properties of the rope itself unite to create this perfect fusion of gameplay joy. And the game knows just the perfect ways to capitalize on this cooperative symphony. If you see a hidden stat boost hanging down off of a cliff, someone is going to have to go down to get it... and who do you trust with your life? It's also a giver of life. If your friend happens to miss a jump, Lara can toss out the grapple hook and the other player will grab on at the last perilous moment. Brilliant.

There is this one co-op puzzle late in the game that I just wish I could describe here without spoiling one of the games best moments. It involves lots of lava and flaming raptors or some shit, and when I figured out the solution (and then pulled it off) the entire time all I could do was sit in the corner and giggle to myself like some hyper school girl saying "holy fuck THAT IS THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME. EVER."

Shit like that is why this game is a masterpiece.

The Geometry Wars-Like Combat

In all Tomb Raider games to date, let's face it, combat has been one of those bulletpoints that it felt the developers knew they had to include, just they weren't quite sure how. Here, finally, is combat that isn't just good, it's amazing. You use the right stick to pull out your weapons and aim in any direction (since it's an isometric perspective game, this system works best) and use the trigger to shoot. It functions a lot like geometry wars, as I stated, and the sheer variety of weapons means combat never gets boring and there's always something around the corner to aim for. You have a gauge that fills up the more diamonds you collect and enemies you kill, and once it fills up as long as you don't get hit it'll stay active. Using relics, you can customize exactly what special abilities you gain when your gauge fills up.

It's so smooth and feels so good, and when you've got your scatter shot and power shot combined via the gauge, your bullets rain down on your enemies leaving behind a path of bones, splatter and destruction that is immensely satisfying in action. There's even certain specific weapons that you need to utilize to complete puzzles, which was an interesting thing to throw into the mix and was admittedly a bit underutilized for the potential it had.

The game is so polished it's incredible.

This leads me to the next reasons this game is one of the top ten games this generation...

It's a Fantastic Value Proposition (Dollars-to-Gameplay Ratio)

This game is filled to the brim with content. It's got like fifteen levels, the majority of them taking over thirty minutes in order to find all the secrets (red skulls, challenges, etc) and whatnot. Then the game drastically changes as you try to speed run the levels right afterwards. That's solo. Then, you have to do it all again co-op... which changes the flow of several puzzles and adds in unique gameplay independent from the solo game. That's another while to get through all the levels again. THEN, you'll speed run it through with your friend. ALL of this is ranked with extensive leaderboards.

And the best part? It's only $15. For that FIFTEEN DOLLARS, you get more content than many $60 games, and better gameplay than the vast majority of $60 games. Please, GAF, don't be cheap. Buy this game. Support developers which are willing to take risks and do something for the love of the game. You guys splurge over the latest content-less shallow "indie" crap, and overlook something like this, a true gem in every regard. Don't make this mistake, PS3 and PC fans. Only you can prevent Forest fires.

It's a Speed Runners Wet Dream!

It's rare enough to find a game that suitably rewards speed running (Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light literally rewards it by unlocking special weapons and other stuff for the "par times". And there's the personal reward of getting a high rank on the leaderboard, of course), but to find a game that rewards speed running WITH A FRIEND? I can count the number of games that do that on one fucking hand.

This game has fantastic level design. It's mostly linear, yes, but the good type of linear, where you can exploit gaps using bombs or ledges using a well placed spear, or whatever. It's simply phenomenal in every way. I rarely ever replay a game I just played and beat. With Lara Croft, I didn't just replay it... the second I beat a level, I would automatically replay it over... and over... and over... until I got a good rank. It's so addicting it defies anything I can possibly write about it here.

GoreyLOL.jpg

So that brings me to this contest. I want more GAFers to hear about this game, so the contest is as follows. From now until the release of this game for Ps3/PC, I want you to make a avatar that emphasizes in some way something in this game. It doesn't have to be clever, it can merely be striking or animated or whatever. Your choice. Keep it within the rules of GAF - 90x120, 150kbs - but go wild. The best entry will receive...

Either...

A $20 PlayStation Network Card
or
A 1600 Point Xbox Live Arcade Card

All entries must be submitted by Friday, September 24, 2010. When you change your avatar, please PM me so I know you're in the running. It's hard to keep track otherwise.

RELEASE DATE: SEPTEMBER 28, 2010

BUY IT.

Hmm nice idea; I'll have to think about this one for a while. Also I have yet to try this game, I should probably download the trial some time.

Calcaneus

Yeah, but how good is it?

I already have enough games on my plate right now, but I have taken notice of this game. God knows I've seen it mentioned enough times around here with all caps on.

TripOpt55

I'm no good at making avatars, but cool contest. The only reason I haven't got the game is because I decided to wait for the PS3 version. The wait has been killing me, but I'm so excited to get this game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wtf is going on in that last drawing (the one with "The Contest" on it)? How does that have any relevance to this game? It's like disturbing shit.

Amir0x

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Wtf is going on in that last drawing (the one with "The Contest" on it)? How does that have any relevance to this game? It's like disturbing shit.

haha no specific relevance, i just had uploaded it to my photobucket account the other day (I drew it) and I ran out of patience in quickly sketching shit so I just quickly pasted the word "The Contest" over that art and went forward.

I am nothing if not lazy :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess I'll install photoshop and make a text-only avatar for the week or two and then go back to my PE3 avatar. ;)

Can't hurt, as I don't have any free-hand-on-mouse art skills (or art skills in general) but a chance to get the game on Ami's dime? Hell yeah, bitches.

Awesome thread. Torn on the PC version and the PS3 version. On one hand I wanna play with my friend locally....on the other it's the master gaming race computing machine.

jonremedy

I'm buying this game on PC because of you, Amir0x. Will also attempt to get a couple of my friends to buy so I have someone to co-op with.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Discotheque said:
Awesome thread. Torn on the PC version and the PS3 version. On one hand I wanna play with my friend locally....on the other it's the master gaming race computing machine.
Get another controller and play it locally. I plan on doing that.

Lumine

Haha cool. I'm probably getting it on PC as well. Then I can take a controller to a friend and login with steam on his PC and rock it. :)

My entry
laracroftlight.jpg
:p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jesus Christ on a Cracker, you sure are passionate about this game. You must have had several orgasms while typing up the OP. You've probably promoted the game more than Square Enix at this point.

I'd rather not change my avie, and I plan on buying it anyways when it hits PSN. The 2gig file won't fit into my 360 HDD. I look forward to playing it but I can't imagine it living up to the insanely high expectations you've created.

Jeels

Nabs

Moobabe said:
10 days to go! Do both the PS3 and PC versions have online co-op from the off?

pretty sure. i'm waiting for the steam preorder. i wish they'd go with a 2-pack, to promote online co-op.

Amir0x

Banned
Snuggler said:
Jesus Christ on a Cracker, you sure are passionate about this game. You must have had several orgasms while typing up the OP. You've probably promoted the game more than Square Enix at this point.

I'd rather not change my avie, and I plan on buying it anyways when it hits PSN. The 2gig file won't fit into my 360 HDD. I look forward to playing it but I can't imagine it living up to the insanely high expectations you've created.

I don't expect it to necessarily be one of the top ten games of the generation for everyone, of course, but to me, I really am genuinely this passionate about the product. No orgasms were involved in the making of this thread.

It's one of those games that cut through my cynicism and took me completely by surprise, and for anyone who knows me... that's a feat in of itself.

I just was surprised by how good it is. When I read previews about it, nobody seemed to be really be highlighting how special it was. It was just another routine footnote in some long overrated franchise or something. So naturally when I actually did experience the game and all that came along with it, and I saw what games were getting huge bloated threads around this same time, it frustrated me. Was it a case of poor handling, was it the negative association people have with Tomb Raider? I can't say. What I can say is that it's a damn shame that anyone should miss this, and so I am using what little megaphone I have to try to get people to at least try this game. It's one of those games where you can really sense the team enjoyed making it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My initial lack of interest in this game was mostly due to the fact that it's a Tomb Raider game, I've never really had much interest in the series. That combined with the fact that it didn't stand out compared to the other Summer of XBLA was enough to keep it off my radar.

Sounds like it was a nice little surprise, though, the reviews have been generally very positive as well so it's a must have for me when it hits PSN.
I admire your enthusiasm, though, I'm the same way anytime I'm talking about one of my favorite games. My Demon's Souls related posts are evidence of this, since I can't mention the game without nearly spontaneously combusting from excitement.

Amir0x

Banned
Snuggler said:
My initial lack of interest in this game was mostly due to the fact that it's a Tomb Raider game, I've never really had much interest in the series. That combined with the fact that it didn't stand out compared to the other Summer of XBLA was enough to keep it off my radar.

Sounds like it was a nice little surprise, though, the reviews have been generally very positive as well so it's a must have for me when it hits PSN.
I admire your enthusiasm, though, I'm the same way anytime I'm talking about one of my favorite games. My Demon's Souls related posts are evidence of this, since I can't mention the game without nearly spontaneously combusting from excitement.

The bolded confirms what I've thought for a while now... that the muted response to LARA CROFT says less about the game and more about fans tepid reaction to anything Tomb Raider related. And I can't say I can blame them, even though I personally like Tomb Raider games, they're heavily flawed.

At the very least I can tell you that this game works much, much better than any Tomb Raider game. At the very best, it will click immediately, and you'll get obsessed with it like I did.

ArjanN

Amir0x said:
The bolded confirms what I've thought for a while now... that the muted response to LARA CROFT says less about the game and more about fans tepid reaction to anything Tomb Raider related. And I can't say I can blame them, even though I personally like Tomb Raider games, they're heavily flawed.

At the very least I can tell you that this game works much, much better than any Tomb Raider game. At the very best, it will click immediately, and you'll get obsessed with it like I did.

I think the 3 most recent Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games don't get enough credit either. Legend and Anniversary are great games, and Underworld had some very good parts but also some rough edges.

I think most of the franchise fatigue is still from when they milked it to death with 2,3,4,5,6 etc...

Discotheque said:

Dunno why they'd take out the local co-op in the PC release!? It'd be bloody stupid if they did.

Stallion Free said:
Get another controller and play it locally. I plan on doing that.

Or just use the PS3 controllers he already has.

If local co-op is taken out of the PC version I'll kill someone. Been wanting to co-op this with the missus for ages but didn't want to get the 360 version with a PC port coming.

:(

Amir0x

Banned
ArjanN said:
I think the 3 most recent Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games don't get enough credit either. Legend and Anniversary are great games, and Underworld had some very good parts but also some rough edges.

I think most of the franchise fatigue is still from when they milked it to death with 2,3,4,5,6 etc...

I agree, personally, that they're really good games. I even think Underworld is pretty good.

Mostly they needed to really work on the camera and combat, but they were still fun. Still, it's worth separating them from this title. Lara Croft is definitely in another league of quality.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If local co-op is taken out of the PC version I'll kill someone. Been wanting to co-op this with the missus for ages but didn't want to get the 360 version with a PC port coming.

Local co-op is in the PC version. Have no fear!

Amir0x said:
I don't expect it to necessarily be one of the top ten games of the generation for everyone, of course, but to me, I really am genuinely this passionate about the product. No orgasms were involved in the making of this thread.

Well thank you Amirox, I was in the troupe of tomb-raider aversion. Due to your suggestion, played the trial, brought the game.

You truly are an old-style nerd, hard-core fan(in the good sense of the word) no profit of your own getting out their and preaching to the unwashed masses.

An ultimate fan isn't having every single peice of merchandise related to the product(that's ocd), an ultimate fan is Amirox!

Corto

Testing... Testing... 1...2... Testing

edit: I'm on!

edit2: My original image is 90x113 but I'm afraid that the forum expands the height to 120 and then I'm screwed with the width... How can I check that?

edit3: I think I'm good now...:D

Amir0x

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Well thank you Amirox, I was in the troupe of tomb-raider aversion. Due to your suggestion, played the trial, brought the game.

You truly are an old-style nerd, hard-core fan(in the good sense of the word) no profit of your own getting out their and preaching to the unwashed masses.

An ultimate fan isn't having every single peice of merchandise related to the product(that's ocd), an ultimate fan is Amirox!

hehe, people always think I hate everything but it's just that it's often more fun to discuss what makes bad games bad.

So it takes a special game to inspire me to be interested to do the opposite, and this is one of those times. Of course, it's my opinion that the game is as good as I say it is... but I am a true fan of this game. I spent a whole hour working on this thread because I wanted to figure out a way to get this game played by other gaming enthusiasts who can appreciate exactly how good this game is

Adam J.

Awesome thread and contest. This game deserves all the love it can get.

Am I the only person who absolutely loves the villain in this game? He reminds me a lot of Bowser, in a way. Always talking shit, deploying his agents of evil, then running off screen like a punk to set more traps, etc... There's just something about him that makes me smile. He obviously loves being a video game villain.

Also, the bombs don't get enough credit in this game. Placing one on the ground during a really intense shoot out, then rolling out of it's glowing-red radius indicator and detonating it is one of the most satisfying play-mechanics I've experienced in an action game.

Good stuff.

Axiom

I'm assuming that it only applies to American PSN and Live, but I'll think of something to do my part in promoting the game. I'm a Tomb Raider fan because of Crystal Dynamics, even if I can't get my gamerscore perfect in Legend.

Axiom

larapocky.jpg

Spent ages modifying the box art and them bam, I end up only having the damn JPG saved and not the final. Figured I'd liken GoL to another easily dismissed third party co-op classic, and its old school in its replay value.

Viva Lara-istance!

Edit: Turns out what I modified wasn't the original Japanese box art but a remake of it by Vincent Batignole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom