• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Coolwhip

Banned
This will be one of those games where you have a narrow path you have to take from start to finish. They can't force setpieces on you if you swim!

Swimming was one of the core aspects of Tomb Raider in the classics.Taking it away is like taking the puzzles away from Zelda games.I wonder how people would have liked that.And regen health?lol is there anything left from Uncharted they haven't yet copied?

health regen... no swimming

*sigh*

Tomb Raider, I will so miss you.

Pretty much what I was thinking. It initially seemed like they were making all the right news for this game. But since then it seems like nothing bad news after bad news has come out about it. It makes no sense to make a swimming game without swimming, but that isn't even the worst part of this news. Why would you even think to make a survival game that features health regeneration? How does that even make sense?

eot

Banned
Play Tomb Raider Anniversary and then tell me with a straight face that it's anything like Uncharted. I think that game defines what I want out of TR, very little combat, huge areas to explore, relatively complicated puzzles, challenging platforming and the great atmosphere that comes from being alone in a natural environment, with no asshole in your ear talking every two minutes.

Sidzed2

Hmmm, swimming sections and collecting health packs... 2 of the most fun tropes in videogames. I will mourn their absence.

Shinjica

Hmmm, swimming sections and collecting health packs... 2 of the most fun tropes in videogames. I will mourn their absence.

Why not simply make a good swimming part? No, better remove that because developer are unable/dont want to improve it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

yeah, I'll definitely miss medpacks because they add exploration, resource management and tension while regenerating health adds nothing.

Forkball

I want to protect her from the deep end of the pool.

Regen health can work in games, but no swimming? I mean, you don't have to throw in swimming levels, but what if I accidentally slip in the water? I'M DEAD?

UrbanRats

Pretty much what I was thinking. It initially seemed like they were making all the right news for this game. But since then it seems like nothing bad news after bad news has come out about it. It makes no sense to make a swimming game without swimming, but that isn't even the worst part of this news. Why would you even think to make a survival game that features health regeneration? How does that even make sense?

Simple, "survival" is merely an aesthetic, cosmetic and ultimately marketing aspect of this game, but nothing deeper than that.
I'd go as far as call it a buzzword, in this specific case, but we'll see about that.

I want to protect her from the deep end of the pool.

Regen health can work in games, but no swimming? I mean, you don't have to throw in swimming levels, but what if I accidentally slip in the water? I'M DEAD?
We've already seen her enter bodies of water, for very scripted and limited sequences, my guess is that in more open areas, either the water is not deep enough to warrant swimming or invisible walls will prevent you from "slipping into it".. or both.

What is the point of health regeneration anyways? I can understand it in futuristic shooters in Halo or Mass Effect - you have shields, they regenerate, okay.

But in games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? It doesn't add realism, so that's out. I guess it just makes the game easier. That's no fun.

UrbanRats

What is the point of health regeneration anyways? I can understand it in futuristic shooters in Halo or Mass Effect - you have shields, they regenerate, okay.

But in games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? It doesn't add realism, so that's out. I guess it just makes the game easier. That's no fun.

In terms of realism, it doesn't make less sense than an health bar.

I like how games are focused so much on realism, yet swimming is treated as impossibru.

Notable example for me was the first Assassin's Creed: jump! *falls through the water, presumably drowning instantly*
And Max Payne 3, where you can put yourself in such a way that 99% of Max is hovering over what lies under his feet (water in this case) and then with the next inch, he promptly falls into the endless well that is WATER.

It might be more common in Action-based games though. Crysis and the like have no problem with swimming. Sonic however, does. (and Max and those Assassins).

Darklord

Banned
Anyone who thought this game wouldn't have health regen is an idiot. It's 2012, people. And this is a reboot that wants a mass market appeal.

patapuf

Health regen eliminates the need for rescource management and makes encounter design easier because the player will always have the same amount of health when going into battle.

I don't particularly like the mechanic but it's obvious why it's popular with gamers and designers alike.

flattie

It makes sense in Uncharted because of the large amounts of shooting involved. I don't think it would be appropriate for a platform game like Tomb Raider and suspect it hints towards a more Uncharted like direction for the series. I hope I'm wrong and will reserve judgement until actually seeing more and playing it.

Dead Man

Yes and before that concept art and details were released when it was originally going to be a very different project. It was originally about lara marooned on a Japenese island that she could explore. The island was inhabitad by strange creatures from japenese folklore. It was open world with metroidvania elements and it would have had a survival horror slant.

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Then somewhere along the way they decided to just make an uncharted clone

WHAT?! I would have bought the shit out of that game. GOD DAMN IT!!

Enco

Anyone who thought this game wouldn't have health regen is an idiot. It's 2012, people. And this is a reboot that wants a mass market appeal.

I don't see the surprise. Health regen? OMG WTF Y IS GAMING CHANGIN!!

It's normal and to be expected.

Also :lol at:

Lara can swim, but just not in this game.

BowieZ

Banned
So are there varying levels of health? What if your health regenerates only partway before your next ambush or wall climb?

Does Lara just struggle a bit more/move less freely/limp?

That would make sense; and also, no "dying" - just needs an animation sequence where the enemy knocks Lara to the ground, she's incapacitated, looks dead, enemy runs off, and the punishment for the player is a slow recovery with a bit of stealth required.

Simple, "survival" is merely an aesthetic, cosmetic and ultimately marketing aspect of this game, but nothing deeper than that.
I'd go as far as call it a buzzword, in this specific case, but we'll see about that.

That's certainly what it's looking like. Like I said, the game sounded so good when the first details started rolling out. But it's like they got all the good news out right off the bat and now we're only hearing the bad stuff.

It's Tomb Raider, so I damn sure wasn't expecting it to have health regen. It doesn't make sense for the series. In the older game you might overshoot a jump or accidentally run off the edge which would cause Lara's life to drop significantly. Some of the jumps/falls could take of 80% of your health, which would completely change your strategy for the next area if you didn't have health packs. Now falling or not timing a jump properly will be meaningless. If you screw up then just stand still until Lara regains her health.

tci

yeah, I'll definitely miss medpacks because they add exploration, resource management and tension while regenerating health adds nothing.
Yea. That was the best part with Black Mesa. Health management do so much for the whole tension and survivor aspect. One of the best games this year, just because of that.

And to add the slap in the face, it's a game from 1998 ............

Vhalyar

Just like in Metroid, Lara starts out with her full skills and knowledge - which includes swimming - but loses it at the start of the game. But then she never gets it back because

DieH@rd

Banned
I have nothing against these news. I never expected that health would not have regen [its 2012], and lack swimming doesn't bother me.

Game still looks great, cant wait to play it.

Kammie

Has there ever been another game around here with such pre-release backlash?

The marketing for this game has been a failure. Should have just not said or shown much until a few months before release.

sublimit

Banned
It's Tomb Raider, so I damn sure wasn't expecting it to have health regen. It doesn't make sense for the series. In the older game you might overshoot a jump or accidentally run off the edge which would cause Lara's life to drop significantly. Some of the jumps/falls could take of 80% of your health, which would completely change your strategy for the next area if you didn't have health packs. Now falling or not timing a jump properly will be meaningless. If you screw up then just stand still until Lara regains her health.

Crystal's TR games (aka Tomb Raider for dummies) had autograbbing though.

In terms of realism, it doesn't make less sense than an health bar.

I didn't say it took away realism, I said it didn't add it.

Health regen eliminates the need for rescource management and makes encounter design easier because the player will always have the same amount of health when going into battle.

I don't particularly like the mechanic but it's obvious why it's popular with gamers and designers alike.

Yeah, I said easier. I understand that much.

It makes sense in Uncharted because of the large amounts of shooting involved. I don't think it would be appropriate for a platform game like Tomb Raider and suspect it hints towards a more Uncharted like direction for the series. I hope I'm wrong and will reserve judgement until actually seeing more and playing it.

Eh, there are other mechanics for managing health in spite of a lot of shooting. But Uncharted (3, really) seems to be a game that tries to be more movie-like, so that makes sense to that degree.

Glass Rebel

Has there ever been another game around here with such pre-release backlash?

The marketing for this game has been a failure. Should have just not said or shown much until a few months before release.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hitman: Absolution come to mind. It's a running theme with a lot of Square-Enix Europe games it seems. Tomb Raider will probably be like the latter, a fairly competent game with many elements from previous parts of the series but enough difference to be its own thing. Since I don't have any personal attachment to the previous games I won't complain if it's ultimately a good game.

sublimit

Banned
I think this game will be the perfect point for new fans to jumb in as well as the perfect point for old fans to finally move on.

patapuf

Don't see why people care about this that much. Not being able to swim and regenerating health won't make or break this game.

regen health has a massive impact on how the exploration aspects work. It's now pretty obvious that survival is merely a buzzword/setting and has nothing to do with the gameplay

tci

Don't see why people care about this that much. Not being able to swim and regenerating health won't make or break this game.
For a survivor game, yes it does. This game have now been degraded from must have, too maybe. Since E3 this game have been one steep curve of shit.

xenist

Though I'd love nothing more than Tomb Raider going all Day Z and actually being about survival it would be suicide for someone to make a big budget game like that. And sadly, regenerating health is what's going on now. It makes it easier for the developers to make the game. It makes it easier for the non-hardcore to play the game. I'm surprised regenerating ammo isn't the standard by now.

Orayn

Good to know we're getting another casual QTE-filled cinem-action romp; The market was STARVED for shallow games with no challenge!

flattie

I didn't say it took away realism, I said it didn't add it.

Yeah, I said easier. I understand that much.

Eh, there are other mechanics for managing health in spite of a lot of shooting. But Uncharted (3, really) seems to be a game that tries to be more movie-like, so that makes sense to that degree.

I know there are, but its clearly used because of the shooting and that is easy to understand. I didn't say that it was the only method of managing player health. I'm not sure how being movie-like correlates to using regen-health though.

ArjanN

In that really long cgi cinema to start the game, didn't Lara swim off the boat?

The character can swim, I'm just assuming there won't be any water sections. Just the ocean around the island that works as a barrier.

I don't feel regenerating health or even health in general made much difference in a Tomb Raider game as you were almost never in a wounded state anyway:

80% of the games was platforming/puzzles where you either missed a jump and fell to your death, or got caught in a trap and got impaled or crushed by a giant boulder.

the other 20% were throwaway shooty bits that were generally easy and mostly just a palate cleanser.

Enjoy not being able to swim!

If there are no water sections does it really matter? Sure, it takes place on an island but she's not going to paddle to New Zealand.

Have no idea why this is constantly getting bashed here on GAF. Whatever - Day 1!

Have you read the posts where people state the reasons they aren't that keen on the new game?

For me it's been a steady decline of interest over the last six months, i'm still keeping an eye on the game but i'm not buying until i've read some hands-on impressions from various forums and posters i trust.

So, yeah it's gone from 'Day 1! Woot!' to 'Maybe... hmmm' for me at least.

Top Bottom