• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Ricker

That's good news for me because I absolutly hate anything underwater in games,camera usually goes all wonky,controls change etc etc....even in GW2,that does it better then any other game,I still hate it...

12 to 15 hours means close to 20 hopefully if you explore and try and discover most of the secrets.Still day one.

^Usually the time a developer or reviewer says it takes to complete a game is always more than it actually is.

I know there are, but its clearly used because of the shooting and that is easy to understand. I didn't say that it was the only method of managing player health. I'm not sure how being movie-like correlates to using regen-health though.

I meant that you wouldn't want to break up the action for too long (unless the scene specifically calls for it).

This game still isn't out? Even though I love it, I blame Kojima and the first MGS for creating this class of game creator that strives to make interactive movies.
Lara can't swim because it would mess up the story or the pace of the plot or something.

ArjanN

people here have seen this same song and dance across other games and other genres, there's a sixth sense when you know a game is going to be shit.

No, there isn't. You can sometimes get a general idea from previews but you never really know for sure until the game is out. And we actually haven't seen that much of the game yet.

So it is just like Indiana Jones and Uncharted where it starts off normal then the supernatural creeps in.

Probably yeah, that's what pretty much happened in every Tomb Raider game. Given the darker tone right off the bat I could see this going a bit more horor-y near the end.

1-D_FTW

Love underwater levels. Especially loved the Tomb Raider water. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

KageMaru

She can't swim and regen health? What the hell CD? What's the point of hunting and surviving if you have wolverine healing powers?

I'll keep an open mind and at least the game is a decent length.

Glass Rebel

Sometimes I wonder what people were doing when they showed the game at E3 or why they're letting PR fool them. Wasn't it clear as day that this would be a Uncharted-style game with some surviving lite thrown in?

lefantome

it starts to smell like a failure.

@glass rebel: probably the game was dunbed down during the past 2 years, if it will be a uncharted like game I won't buy unless it will be very cheap in the future.

KingKong

Have we even seen ANY platforming gameplay? The only thing I can remember was that QTE climbing plane cutscene.

This game looked pretty miserable at E3 though, totally killed any kind of interest I had from seeing the debut trailer

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
they was building this shit around out there alone fighting all odds to survive and they chuck in regen health

meta4

Dont worry guys. Just like they copied Uncharted for the set pieces they may copy TLOU for the survival aspects in the sequel.

Sissel

I'm not expecting much from this game anymore. Not because of this, but because the whole thing in general seems too streamlined and "uncharty"

Varna

Has any open-world gameplay been shown? Any of the "metroid" and survival elements that were mentioned earlier?

Jawmuncher

Meh doesnt bother me.
Don't really understand GAFs hate for the game.
Did I miss something when Legend and everything after was released?
They weren't bad but they sure weren't anything absolutely amazing either (Though I really do like Legend).

Going to wait until I get the game in my hands before I judge it anymore.

george_us

The more I hear about this game, the worse it sounds. I'm not sure if it's for marketing purposes or not but I haven't seen one hint of exploration or Tomb Raiding.

BluWacky

Has any open-world gameplay been shown? Any of the "metroid" and survival elements that were mentioned earlier?

Has anything beyond the super on-rails stuff from that controversial trailer been shown, in fact? I don't have a huge issue with Lara not swimming or regenerating health - I like the older Tomb Raider games but not enough for that to matter to me - but I am very curious to see what the game is actually going to involve doing. I don't have a clue what the gameplay is beyond what I remember from the original news about the reboot - island setting, open world/Metroidy - and don't know if they even apply any more.

For me, if it has good environmental platforming and the occasional decent puzzle it's probably enough for me. The stories in Tomb Raider games have always been high on supernatural guff, so if it's well told that will be an improvement over the norm - and if not, it's unlikely to be hideously offensive.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Everything so far looks really bad...and this makes it worst.

Underworld felt very unpolished but it will probably be way better than this.

Legend and Underworld played fine for me besides the wonky camera and sloppy controls, but those are par for the course for every TR game I've ever played anyway.

Anniversary, on the other hand, felt like it didn't even know the meaning of the word 'polish'.

Lime

By the way, won't this game include multiplayer? I remember CD hiring multiplayer staff a year ago or something (I think it was Nirolak who posted it).

UrbanRats

By the way, won't this game include multiplayer? I remember CD hiring multiplayer staff a year ago or something (I think it was Nirolak who posted it).

ibu8wTMIR4a4Bd.gif

That would be fabulous.

s_mirage

they was building this shit around out there alone fighting all odds to survive and they chuck in regen health

That might have made the game difficult and, as we all know these days, that isn't too popular with the mass market. The poor dears might get stuck somewhere with no health.

To be fair they could still have a regenerating health system which retains the survival elements, but the only type of system that immediately springs to mind is the one MGS 3 used, and there has been no indication that Tomb Raider has anything like that.

I am a little worried about this game because I havn't seen too much of what I love about Tomb Raider and that is the enviromental puzzles. I feel like they are focusing more on combat which I felt took a back seat in most Tomb Raider games.

Legend and Underworld played fine for me besides the wonky camera and sloppy controls, but those are par for the course for every TR game I've ever played anyway.

Anniversary, on the other hand, felt like it didn't even know the meaning of the word 'polish'.

Really?, Underworld controls felt sloppy and even buggy at times but Aniversary was much better in that regard i need to finish but what I played was better than underworld and legends.

This thread has reminded me how much I loved the TR Legend trilogy. Really solid platforming mechanics and huge, sprawling levels. Legend comes from the early days of QTEs, so it doesn't hold up so well, but I played Underworld again recently and it's still glorious. At one point Lara shows up in South America, says some things to her radio pals, and then the game just leaves you to it. You're in a gigantic level with multiple tombs separated by motorcyle paths, and you just ride around slowly working everything out. Over the next three hours or so you solve a bunch of puzzles, open a huge door to another tomb, bring the bike down with you and actually use it to solve yet more puzzles. No cutscenes, no run-towards-the-camera setpieces, just a bunch of awesome Tomb Raider goodness.
Damn, I need to play Underworld!

denshuu

You sure you're not confusing Underworld and Anniversary? Anniversary was literally a Legend map pack with a slow-mo system. Those two games are barely different.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You sure you're not confusing Underworld and Anniversary? Anniversary was literally a Legend map pack with a slow-mo system. Those two games are barely different.

No, I finished Legend and Underworld earlier this year, and Anniversary last week (played the HD collection on PS3). Anniversary had some of the sloppiest controls and shittiest camera I've seen in a long time. Underworld and Legend generally played fine for me, but Anniversary was just a pain in the ass, especially due to how it seemed like it suffered far more from input lag than the other two games.

No, I finished Legend and Underworld earlier this year, and Anniversary last week (played the HD collection on PS3). Anniversary had some of the sloppiest controls and shittiest camera I've seen in a long time. Underworld and Legend generally played fine for me, but Anniversary was just a pain in the ass, especially due to how it seemed like it suffered far more from input lag than the other two games.
Possible explanation: Anniversary is a port from PS2.

1-D_FTW

That's a good point. If you're not actually solving any puzzles or exploring, it's not really a big issue. Don't need to see what's underneath the water if all you're doing is walking on a straight path to the next cut-scene.

*Goes and deletes from his wishlist*

Salaadin

Really? I had a completely different experience.

I thought that Underworld was rushed, controlled weirdly, and in some parts, Lara wouldnt even animate correctly. Made certain parts of the game more difficult than they had to be.

I still enjoyed all 3 three. Theyre why I have such high hopes for this one.

Glass Rebel

This thread has reminded me how much I loved the TR Legend trilogy. Really solid platforming mechanics and huge, sprawling levels. Legend comes from the early days of QTEs, so it doesn't hold up so well, but I played Underworld again recently and it's still glorious. At one point Lara shows up in South America, says some things to her radio pals, and then the game just leaves you to it. You're in a gigantic level with multiple tombs separated by motorcyle paths, and you just ride around slowly working everything out. Over the next three hours or so you solve a bunch of puzzles, open a huge door to another tomb, bring the bike down with you and actually use it to solve yet more puzzles. No cutscenes, no run-towards-the-camera setpieces, just a bunch of awesome Tomb Raider goodness.

Guess I found a reason to finally finish the trilogy.

Grisby

Regen Health ain't a big deal but no swimming?

:(

Underworld had one of the best opening levels of any game I've played. Swimming down to that tomb was so good.

Terrible. Is this even open world anymore? Was it ever?

"The structure is not open world. Not in the GTA, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed sense," Gallagher told NowGamer. "We do have hubs. We've not actually shown any hubs - you've seen a pocket of exploration. That is not a hub we've shown yet."

Lara Croft will be able to revisit areas for further rewards later on too.
"At some point we'll actually show the hubs, which are larger. They're still not open-world, but they allow some freedom, the ability to find secondary tombs, the ability to actually go at your own pace in places and really explore the island," Gallagher explained.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/141701..._nonlinear_exploration_but_not_openworld.html

I still think you're confusing the two. Underworld's camera is famously wonky. What happened in Anniversary then?

Top Bottom