• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Crappy: KOTOR 1&2

Foffy

Banned
For what its worth, i've tried a good half dozen times to get into KOTOR and find it nearly impossible. The combat is abysmal, and I think this is down to how poorly the user interface is and how little it scales up to high resolution.

This is strange. I feel so much like you do regarding the game. I'm sure what was great about the game was great during the time it came out. Today, to me, it seems too dated. That's a strange thing, because I can have tons of fun with games as far back as the NES. I've tried getting into KOTOR two times, and it just couldn't capture me.

Jarnet87

I hated it the first time I tried it, but I didn't really give it a fair shot. I'll buy it on steam when it's on sale next (yes I know its already cheap) time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For the love of god I understand the combat mechanics with the timers and dice rolls. That changes absolutely nothing about how well it actually plays out.

Also, the games only only have as much gunplay as you want them to and I can't believe you're comparing cinematic flair in cutscenes between games from different generations, 6/7 years apart.
Don't worry, I think the interactions suck compared to games 6/7 years older than it as well.

Deadly

Then you have the shitty powers system and how you pretty much must go full light side or full dark side if you want anything to be effective. Try to be grey and you will get no benefits and force powers that almost never clear resistance checks. Go light side and your dark side powers will be ineffective as well as expensive. There is a definite only a binary choice here and that is not only shitty for making your own play style, but for going through the story.

Combat: It is more gun based than Star Wars, but KOTOR still has a lot of gunplay in it. The first Mass Effect was still a bit spotty, but I think by the second the whole concept really found its stride. Your party members would nearly always do exactly what you told them to do. Sure they'd make dumb decisions if left to themselves, but if you made sure your management was smart, you could pull off a lot of great maneuvers with great team synergy. A lot of the powers are similar to force powers, so it clearly shows what could have been. In comparison, KOTOR is ridiculously sloppy and disconnected from your input. If this hybrid can't be done, I say go full traditional/tactical like Dragon Age or full action like Jade Empire.
Dark side/light side only affects the force points cost of the power. If you're fucking up checks, you built your character badly. Also gunplay? The game uses d20 rules.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
vcxM2.gif

I played through KoTOR just recently and I have the exact opposite opinion OP. It's a shame that you can't see the magic there. You're missing out

Miker

I think one of the biggest differences between KotOR and later Bioware RPGs is the varied number of approaches to each situation. In Mass Effect, it's talk your way through or shoot your way out, with a huge emphasis on the latter.

In KotOR, there's hacking, security, demolitions, and other stuff in the mix that makes it feel more dynamic. All of those systems are shallow on their own, but it all really adds up. I think a lot of that was missing from their later games going on.

...and every aspect of what it was specifically going for has been demonstrated in successful form with the Mass Effect series.

You do realize that without games like KotOR there would likely be no Mass Effect? Any time you play an older game I think its important to keep one's perspective of the time in which it was released. Sure, older games might not hold up well having played subsequent newer games that make use of more refined systems, but its not really fair to shit on something like KotOR's use of cinematics and compare them unfavorably to Mass Effect. No kidding they're not as advanced or flashy as the latest Mass Effect game.

Akira_83

Banned
i dont remember if it was KOTOR or not, but there was an RPG i played on XBOX where you were on a space station like city, and there was some rogue AI that was hacking the network and one of the sidequests had you track it down, and if you didnt answer the questions correctly i would explode and kill you

pretty sure it was KOTOR

Patryn

I'm beginning to see part of the problem. The OP thought that there were action elements to the battle system.

There aren't. It IS a full tactical system. In fact, Dragon Age is kind of a dumbed down version of this battle system because you can't queue commands in DA:O. Hell, Dragon Age actually brings position into things, which is something KOTOR doesn't, so it's more action than this.

def sim

No, I just spent a really long time getting them to function properly on my PC and they still don't fully work right. I know it happens sometimes, but it also isn't the case with a great many old PC games, so I will fault the programming to some degree and express my frustrations.

I'm referring to the JRPG comment. The only technical issues I ran into last time was not being able to apply the widescreen mod.

Dice

Dark side/light side only affects the force points cost of the power. If you're fucking up checks, you built your character badly.
Really? Because now in KOTOR2 my wisdom is only a point lower than Keira and int/cha is the same, and yet I'm way less successful than her. I was pretty certain it was just from being light side while using dark moves since stun droid connects almost every time. If wis/int/cha has nothing to do with force powers working, they really need to explain what does affect it better because it must be deviating quite a bit from RPG standards.

KOTOR gave us one of the greatest characters of all time:

2FuNk40.jpg

Motherfucking Jolee Bindo

Really? Because now in KOTOR2 my wisdom is only a point lower than Keira and int/cha is the same, and yet I'm way less successful than her. I was pretty certain it was just from being light side while using dark moves since stun droid connects almost every time. If wis/int/cha has nothing to do with force powers working, they really need to explain what does affect it better because it must be deviating quite a bit from RPG standards.

And what RPG do you use as a standard? Because they're using pretty much the original RPG standards.

marrec

Banned
Even if you cancel all of a character's actions to give them new actions, instead of doing them right away they will wait for 10 seconds, run off somewhere to do something pointless first, just run around randomly, ignore your command and engage someone closer, etc. If they do ever get around to what you said, the whole battle has changed and that command is no longer useful or relevant.

I got about this far before I had to stop because I realized you'd be making stuff up completely out of thin air in order to support your invalid claims.

Nice try OP, you almost got me!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I tried to play KOTOR 1 but I hated writing and the second one felt very outdated. Writing was ok though, I might try to finish this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Some of you guys suck. I'm quite fond of the KOTOR games myself, but he should be able to express his opinion without being hit with a tidal wave of lazy shit posts.

I definitely get the complaints about the mechanics of the game, but I don't mind the semi-automated style of the combat. It's a little awkward but it's a nice place inbetween slow turned based combat and mashy action combat. The Witcher did it a little better though.

The balance is also a bit off, once your force powers reach a certain level every combat encounter is a cake walk, but again I don't mind this for the simple fact that, as someone who grow up on Star Wars, it's fun to roleplay as a super powerful Jedi.

But with all that being said, I never really loved the KOTOR games for their nuts and bolts. The "gameplay" is just filler inbetween plot and character interaction. It may not be the deepest thing out there, but again, I'm a Star Wars kid so it's hard not to love being at the center of it's universe. The combat isn't anything great, but I found it inoffensive enough to not detract from my enjoyment of the series. And KOTOR2, as disjointed as it may be at times, does have some really great characterization and character interaction. Kreia is one of the best characters in SW, extended universe or otherwise. I replayed it recently and it actually held up really well for me, I was gripped until the end.

Tellaerin

Coming off of the borderline trainwreck of Lucas' prequel trilogy, KotOR was a cause for celebration when it was released. Not only was it a solid, entertaining RPG, but it managed to recapture the Star Wars magic in a way the series creator no longer seemed capable of. I went back and replayed it again a couple of years ago, and I remember enjoying it as much then as I did back when it was first released. Sure, technology's advanced since then, but it still hits all the right notes for me.

KotOR 2 was another story. That game was a rushed, buggy mess that completely falls apart in the final act, and is on my short list of games with disappointing endings. Worse, at least to me, was that it didn't feel particularly Star Wars-y. In everything from plot and themes to atmosphere and tone, it felt like a story from some other milieu that had been shoehorned into the Star Wars universe. This was especially disappointing after seeing how well Bioware had captured the essence of Star Wars in the first game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
im very grateful I played this when it first came out and LOVED every second of it. I'm sure it wouldnt hold up today, but back with the original Xbox, I loved it. The interactions, the story moments (thought not the overarching story) the charecters (loved some of the littlle side mission joke stories).

Really it was a game that charmed you with the little things like building your own light saber and some of the character interactions. Somehow I get the impression you skipped over all those. Regardless I couldnt imagine playing those games today, far to outdated gameplay wise now. But back then? They were good.

Lancehead

As for combat, it is downright terrible. Through the interface it pretends to be tactical, but then you actually try to use tactics and it shits all over itself. Even if you cancel all of a character's actions to give them new actions, instead of doing them right away they will wait for 10 seconds, run off somewhere to do something pointless first, just run around randomly, ignore your command and engage someone closer, etc. If they do ever get around to what you said, the whole battle has changed and that command is no longer useful or relevant.

Queueing actions and rounds. How do they work?

It's turn based with a sprinkle of real time,

No, it's RTwP.

Derrick01

Banned
Same guy that didn't like Planescape Torment, go figure.

If you're a person who puts a huge emphasis on gameplay over everything else then I can see that being possible. PST is pretty bad if you just look at the gameplay.

Xamdou said:
Kotor 2 doesn't count, the original Kotor is the only game that matters.

You may as well say Uncharted 2 doesn't count, only the original game does.

Kunan

It hasn't really aged well. When I tried to play it a year and a half ago, I was bored by the time I started rolling around Tatooine. I'll attempt to play more later, as I'm sure the story picks up, but the worlds felt sterile.

In spite of that, I can see how it really must have been a landmark for its time. I acknowledge that it would have been a much better experience for me if I experienced it in 2003 instead of 2010; after I had already played Dragon Age.

Dice

And what RPG do you use as a standard? Because they're using pretty much the original RPG standards.
Don't worry, someday you'll understand if/then statements.

I'm beginning to see part of the problem. The OP thought that there were action elements to the battle system.

There aren't. It IS a full tactical system. In fact, Dragon Age is kind of a dumbed down version of this battle system because you can't queue commands in DA:O. Hell, Dragon Age actually brings position into things, which is something KOTOR doesn't, so it's more action than this.
The difference is in Dragon Age when I say "Go here and do this" they actually do. Oh, except you can say "go here" in KOTOR, you have to manually control them because positioning apparently meant jack shit to the designers.

Moff

Kotor was amazing for its time, and it still has the best twist I have ever seen in a videogame, never was I more blown away by a simple game.

and kotor 2, my, what a godgame this could have been, if obsidian could have finished it. but the shadow we got back there was sadly not better than kotor 1.

Varna

KOTOR 2 is an amazing game. The lackluster final act (which is only the last 2 hours of the game) don't change that one bit.

KOTOR on the other hand has not aged well at all. I always attempt to play through the first game to try and get a marathon going... but once I hit Taris and I see the only two dialogue options I will ever have (psychopath and boy scout) I lose all desire to continue.

Why is is it that people with J-pop avatars have the worst opinions?

I'm trying to understand why you're comparing Mass Effect to these older games so much. Advances in graphics and combat are obvious over time as that's some of the only things that this generation advanced, but the story telling and writing ability is far below Kotor 2 standards. The morality system is about the same, if you want renegade/paragon dialog choices you have to be a renegade/paragon through the whole game otherwise they get locked out of the dialogue.

I'll agree with you partway. Kotor 1 is a really bad game by just about every standard, but I held that opinion when I played it in 2006 so it's not just a "the game didn't age well" thing.

Do you like anything? I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that wasn't negative.

Deadly

That one point of wisdom and your rolls can make all the difference.

Munin

Some of you guys suck. I'm quite fond of the KOTOR games myself, but he should be able to express his opinion without being hit with a tidal wave of lazy shit posts.

Not so much the opinion itself but the way it's presented and argued for. OP deserves the shit he's getting, since he apparently believes RPGs for Japanese basement dwellers to be the pinnacle of storytelling.

KOTOR 2 is an amazing game. The lackluster final act (which is only the last 2 hours of the game) don't change that one bit.

KOTOR on the other hand has not aged well at all. I always attempt to play through the first game to try and get a marathon going... but once I hit Taris and I see the only two dialogue options I will ever have (psychopath and boy scout) I lose all desire to continue.

KOTOR doesn't get good till you leave Taris

Dice

No need to be condescending about it. I was just wondering what system you use for an RPG standard
I'm getting an overall condescending vibe from 90% of the responses, sorry.

For CRPGs I'd use Infinity Engine games as a standard. The ol D&D setup translated into pausable realtime seems to be what has carried on to all RPGs. Within this, int/wis/cha are almost always the basis of magic effectiveness. Since mine are nearly the same as another character who is highly effective, what other conclusion should I draw?

Anyway I'm out for a bit to get lunch and check on something more important than people discounting me or assuming I'm ignorant about combat systems I talked about in detail.

That one point of wisdom and your rolls can make all the difference.
You shouldn't need 18 in a stat to get more than 5% effectiveness (I've seen affliction work twice in the first 20 hours of the game)

Top Bottom