• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Crappy: KOTOR 1&2

Seda

And if you count JRPGs in the list of games to play in your life, there is pretty much no reason to ever bother with these.

I've played many JRPGs and both the KotOR games (second one especially) were really enjoyable to me. Having a non-popular opinion is okay. Statements like these are dumb.

inky

No, it's RTwP.

Ehh, iirc you could set it up so that it paused after every command, but I guess the definition depends in how freely you move the character and not how abilities unfold. I guess I was thinking more versus a game like DA2 and it's shitty system which added an AA button.

So OP didn't like Planescape T. either... With that and his constant bringing up of Mass Effect I guess he is more of a presentation+flair+gameplay > story+fiddling with your party kind of guy, which makes me wonder why on earth he plays old CRPGs and similar games in the first place.

That JRPG comment is quite the sight to behold, too.

Derrick01

Banned
Do you like anything? I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that wasn't negative.

The post you quoted heavily implied that I like Kotor 2.

inky said:

Indeed. There's never been a JRPG that did character interaction or writing as well as either Kotor game, and keep in mind that I have a really low opinion of Kotor 1 especially in the writing department.

JoduanER2

KOTOR is one of the best RPGs ever, the moment you realized
you were Revan the whole time
i almost pass out of the crazyness

Doomrider

Same guy that didn't like Planescape Torment, go figure.

Seriously, though, this gives me some perspective, if true.

Dice, is it correct to assume you give far more importance to gameplay, balance and the like than characters and story? Not trying to discredit your opinion, just understand it a little better. If that is the case, I get why you wouldn't be able to have fun with these games.

You're right about the gameplay being boring. Like Snuggler said, it really felt like filler. The story and characters were so compelling, though, that I didn't care about that.

You're still wrong about the characters and story. And no, I'm not worried.

[I'm only talking about KOTOR2]

As a junior, it is severely out of place for me to even utter something like this, but dude...

I hate your opinion. I think it is as wrong as an opinion can be.

KOTOR is one of my all-time favorite games, though. So take that for what it's worth.

As a junior, it is severely out of place for me to even utter something like this, but dude...

I hate your opinion. I think it is as wrong as an opinion can be.

KOTOR is one of my all-time favorite games, though. So take that for what it's worth.

Welcome to GAF. You'll fit right in.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ehh, iirc you could set it up so that it paused after every command, but I guess the definition depends in how freely you move the character and not how abilities unfold. I guess I was thinking more versus a game like DA2 and it's shitty system which added an AA button.

So OP didn't like Planescape T. either... With that and his constant bringing up of Mass Effect I guess he is more of a presentation+flair+gameplay > story+fiddling with your party kind of guy, which makes me wonder why on earth he plays old CRPGs and similar games in the first place.

lol at using Mass Effect as a standard for good WRPG gameplay.

Varna

KOTOR doesn't get good till you leave Taris

Doesn't matter. The story and role-playing aspects are abysmal. I do think the combat is done much better in the first game, but since I've gotten into modding KOTOR 2 I've managed to fix that short coming for myself.

Indeed. There's never been a JRPG that did character interaction or writing as well as either Kotor game, and keep in mind that I have a really low opinion of Kotor 1 especially in the writing department.

This is something I've always wondered. Why hasn't anyone ever tried this? Persona 3/4 are very close to this... I would love to see this.

Grief.exe

KOTOR 2 is an amazing game. The lackluster final act (which is only the last 2 hours of the game) don't change that one bit.

KOTOR on the other hand has not aged well at all. I always attempt to play through the first game to try and get a marathon going... but once I hit Taris and I see the only two dialogue options I will ever have (psychopath and boy scout) I lose all desire to continue.

I feel like Bioware's strength has been the overall story, not the dialogue.

The Reapers in Mass Effect 1, the twist in KOTOR, they create great stories.

Their dialogue has always been fairly derivative and juvenile. And i can say that as a huge fan of bioware, former fan that is.

Now of course, their overall story handling is pretty bad and their dialogue has only gotten worse. I actually physically cringe when I watch some parts of ME3. Its really sad what they have become, but I'm way off topic here.

Lancehead

Ehh, iirc you could set it up so that it paused after every command, but I guess the definition depends in how freely you move the character and not how abilities unfold.

That doesn't make it turn-based. They aren't taking turns. It's all simultaneous actions.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Their dialogue has always been fairly derivative and juvenile. And i can say that as a huge fan of bioware, former fan that is.

Now of course, their overall story handling is pretty bad and their dialogue has only gotten worse. I actually physically cringe when I watch some parts of ME3. Its really sad what they have become, but I'm way off topic here.

You mean the things that caused almost all the story related problems in the series and the incredibly obvious twist? Character interaction and dialogue is pretty much the only writing related thing to like in Mass Effect.

Grief.exe

That doesn't make it turn-based. They aren't taking turns. It's all simultaneous actions.

The game is actually turn based. Its hidden, but they are taking turns.

My advice is to never delete the top ability in the queue. Sometimes what will happen is your character will skip his turn because you cleared the ability.

You the things that caused almost all the story related problems in the series and the incredibly obvious twist? Character interaction and dialogue is pretty much the only writing related thing to like in Mass Effect.

Well when I was 12 it wasn't that obvious.

But you have to admit even if the twist was obvious its still a very compelling story overall with that and the Rakatta. The Reapers are very compelling as well.

Varna

It might have been something they were decent at. But ME2 and onward hasn't produced anything worth mention. I also think the story in KOTOR 1 is very boring. In a way it fits the series a whole lot better then part 2's story which obviously tried to do a lot more with the universe.

kevinski

Banned
I could never get into the KotOR games, either. Granted, I attribute this to the fact that I generally don't like games with that style of combat. Also, I didn't play either of these games when they first came out. Like you, I picked them up when they were cheap, so I didn't have much of an investment in them. I couldn't have cared less if they were good for me, because I'd likely picked up twenty other games during the same Steam sale.

I love Kotor 2 a bunch but the combat really does stink in both and 2 in particular has some of the worst damn dungeons. It's also one of the few games ever made that has legit good writing and storytelling though, and features probably the best dialogue trees of any rpg I've played. That first time you meet Atris is sick, it's like a verbal boss fight.

marrec

Banned

This is something I've always wondered. Why hasn't anyone ever tried this? Persona 3/4 are very close to this... I would love to see this.

Have either of you tried Trails in the Sky? Derrick I'm assuming you have, but I find it's easily better in character interaction and writing than most WRPGs, KOTOR included.

Grief.exe

It might have been something they were decent at. But ME2 and onward hasn't produced anything worth mention. I also think the story in KOTOR 1 is very boring. In a way it fits the series a whole lot better then part 2's story which obviously tried to do a lot more with the universe.

Ya ME2 is when Bioware started their downfall in the story department.

Pfft, as if the turn based excellence of Temple of Elemental Evil could ever match a poor man's Gears of war.

Lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The game is actually turn based. Its hidden, but they are taking turns.

My advice is to never delete the top ability in the queue. Sometimes what will happen is your character will skip his turn because you cleared the ability.

Well when I was 12 it wasn't that obvious.

But you have to admit even if the twist was obvious its still a very compelling story overall with that and the Rakatta. The Reapers are very compelling as well.

The Reapers are a blight. I'd rather be off doing the character sidequests in 2. Saving the universe is boring and played out adn the Reapers did nothing but become a worse and worse part of the games, and they were never good outside of one interaction with Sovereign. But you are right the KotOR made for a compelling classic Star Warsy story.

DasMarcos

Banned
I guess this means that I have to give these games a try now.

All of my amigos, and the consensus with gamers on the web, seems to be that these are quality titles. So into the rabbit hole I go.

Lancehead

Sure. You are arguing semantics now.

But they sure aren't 'simultaneous actions'

What semantics? It's clear as day light.

Simultaneous actions: All the characters can take actions simultaneously. Each character has internal timer between each action, called round.

Turn-based actions: Characters take actions one after another. One round is when all the characters complete one turn.

Patryn

No, they're taking turns. They're on a clearly defined round-based system. If I recall correctly, they're still on the 6-second round system, but they can gain multiple actions in a single round.

MC Safety

No, they're taking turns. They're on a clearly defined round-based system. If I recall correctly, they're still on the 6-second round system, but they can gain multiple actions in a single round.

It's turn-based, all right. The developers at BioWare worked very hard to "hide" the obvious role-playing aspects in gameplay, all the while freely admitting they exist and form the basis of combat.

Varna

What semantics? It's clear as day light.

Simultaneous actions: All the characters can take actions simultaneously. Each character has internal timer between each action, called round.

Turn-based actions: Characters take actions one after another. One round is when all the characters complete one turn.

It's a bit of a hybrid system no doubt. But there is quiet a bit of turn-base combat going on. Notice once you engage the enemies all there attacks happen at once and then your parties attacks all happen at once.

LastNac

I don't have nearly enough energy to tell you how wrong you are.

Instead let me offer in the words of Jolee Bindo:
"You know the problem with the youth nowadays? They are YOUNG!"

MajinFro

Neo Member
-These are not some of the best games ever
-These are not some of the best RPGs ever
-These are not even good by my personal RPG stadards
-These are not even as good as what I think is standard for BioWare

This makes me sad in the pants.

6oGn7m7.gif

Holy shit!!! I'm dying here!

Xamdou

If you're a person who puts a huge emphasis on gameplay over everything else then I can see that being possible. PST is pretty bad if you just look at the gameplay.

You may as well say Uncharted 2 doesn't count, only the original game does.

Never played the Uncharted series so I can't comment on that.

The original Kotor had an ending, better story than Kotor 2 and has the greatest plot twist in all of video game history. Kotor 2 was such a big letdown that I don't even want it to be added to the kotor canon.

Derrick01

Banned
Never played the Uncharted series so I can't comment on that.

The original Kotor had an ending, better story than Kotor 2 and has the greatest plot twist in all of video game history. Kotor 2 was such a big letdown that I don't even want it to be added to the kotor canon.

A plot twist doesn't write an entire story. That's all Kotor 1 has in the writing department over 2, a single plot twist that is unveiled in 30 seconds of a 30 hour game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KotOR 1 was amazing.

KotOR 2, not so much.

But that's mostly down to being "complete" despite being mostly filler. Combat wasn't as broken in 1 than 2 as well, IIRC.

Xamdou

A plot twist doesn't write an entire story. That's all Kotor 1 has in the writing department over 2, a single plot twist that is unveiled in 30 seconds of a 30 hour game.

A great plot twist and an actual ending that don't leave you hanging, Kotor is a memorable game compared to Kotor 2 which I have forgotten about.

Dizzy

Banned
I tried about 3 times to get into KOTOR back in the day and got bored or sidetracked each time. Gave it a fourth shot after liking Jade Empire and I ended up playing through it two more times straight after. I got hooked big time. I think the levels were bland and ugly but I really liked the side missions and choices you got, even if they were all quite similar.

e.g.

You finish a quest and get offered a reward.

good: turn down the reward and say a good deed is its own reward or something lame like that
neutral: take reward and go
evil: Kill the guy, take the reward as well as everything on him....just because.

I don't think they had to make the divide between good and evil choices so large :p

The second was alright but I wasn't into it as much as the first. Gonna try it on PC soon with the restored content mod.

You mean the things that caused almost all the story related problems in the series and the incredibly obvious twist? Character interaction and dialogue is pretty much the only writing related thing to like in Mass Effect.
If there was any reason to love you cruel robot this is it. Character interaction is one of the few things that Bioware does acceptably.

Jarmel

Banned

HK-47 is better than most of the cast in KOTOR 2. I also am replaying KOTOR 2 right now and the intro in KOTOR 1 is leagues better than in 2. Like leagues better.

Lancehead

No, they're not taking turns. Round is not turn.

Let me try to explain this simplest of distinctions.

Turn-based:

Combat starts.
Each character, the pcs and enemies, get their order of turn.
Character with first turn takes action.
Everyone else waits. No action.
Character with second turn takes action.
Character with the last turn takes action.

Everyone has finished taking their actions.
End of round.

Round 2 starts.

Real-time:

Combat starts.
Everyone starts taking actions.
Nobody waits for other characters to finish their actions.
Each action takes a set amount of time, called round. (3 seconds in these games)

Hmmm I thought KOTOR was okay for the small bit I tried it out but I didn't play it on the optimal system so I ended up drifting away from it, might give it another try down the line.

Durante

KOTOR 1 was pretty good, but a tad overrated.

KOTOR 2 is pretty incredible.
That's how I feel about it. I just played KOTOR 2 last year though, and KOTOR 1 ages ago. Many of the criticisms in the OP feel like they apply to 1 much more so than 2.

Oh, and regarding the portrayal of the light/dark side of the force, and morality, KOTOR 2 does a much better and more interesting job than most Star Wars media in general, and pretty much every game Bioware has ever made.

Derrick01

Banned
HK-47 is better than most of the cast in KOTOR 2. I also am replaying KOTOR 2 right now and the intro in KOTOR 1 is leagues better than in 2. Like leagues better.

Not really. Taris and the station are both pretty equally terrible and boring to play through. The difference is kotor 2's following areas are more interesting due to being better written, whereas kotor 1's following areas are just as much of a chore to play through as Taris.

Top Bottom