• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Alx

Don't even bring the Games With Gold tab into this. That's a direct link to download those games every month and I use it ALL THE TIME.

True, but now you can also pin a specific "games with gold" block, with individual links to each game of the moment. Much better, and makes the link on the home page unnecessary.

True, but now you can also pin a specific "games with gold" block, with individual links to each game of the moment. Much better, and makes the link on the home page unnecessary.
Yeah, Games With Gold/Game Pass/EA Access etc. are someofthe few things I'd expect to keep as blocks (really hoping pins eventually make it tothe actual splash lageinstead).

PeterGAF

Banned
It should still be there for the people who don't go out of their way to make a block for games with gold.

I can't believe there are people who get upset at this. The home page is something that EVERYONE sees. It is an important feature to show games/sales with gold and other store sales/new releases on that home page. That is how most people discover this stuff.

It should still be there for the people who don't go out of their way to make a block for games with gold.

I can't believe there are people who get upset at this. The home page is something that EVERYONE sees. It is an important feature to show games/sales with gold and other store sales/new releases on that home page. That is how most people discover this stuff.
In my ideal world, as the home page is something I see everytime I login, I'd rather it be customizable to show me what i find most useful, and *not* the same as what everyone sees. As a default, sure, GWG should be there. But ideally let me hide that block for something I use more than once a month.

JoeLT

I was bored so had a go at combining the bits I like from the current dash with the new one

for comparison
You should honestly chuck this on the Xbox Subreddit, the Xbox team and Qwik seem to actually be replying to and looking at stuff on there. It'll probably get a bit more traction too.

I really REALLY wish we got this UI instead.

Sony

Nintendo
GRRM must be behind the dashboard updates: whenever you get attached to one it gets killed. The current dash is great, why change it.

jelly

Is it cynical to think they want your eyes to look over much of the space rather than making it look cleaner and more logical. They must use eye tracking to maximise how much you scan the dashboard, and I think they probably quite like that you look everywhere, ads, features for example rather than ignoring much of it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Chris1

In my ideal world, as the home page is something I see everytime I login, I'd rather it be customizable to show me what i find most useful, and *not* the same as what everyone sees. As a default, sure, GWG should be there. But ideally let me hide that block for something I use more than once a month.
Gold tile is more than every month. It'd not just games with gold it's the gold hub for everything gold.

Games with gold, free weekends, deals with gold, renewals and expiry dates. It should stay it is in no way an ad and is actually helpful.

I don't want to have 3 massive blocks for gwg DWG and free weekends then have to go digging into the store just to renew my gold. One small tile is fine.

Gold tile is more than every month. It'd not just games with gold it's the gold hub for everything gold.

Games with gold, free weekends, deals with gold, renewals and expiry dates. It should stay it is in no way an ad and is actually helpful.

I don't want to have 3 massive blocks for gwg DWG and free weekends then have to go digging into the store just to renew my gold. One small tile is fine.
I agree that you should be able to have it on your home. But, if it was customizable, then you, who uses the Gold shortcut constantly, could have it easily accessible. For me, who uses it once a month to download the freebies, could relegate it to the block section instead, freeing up space for the things I mostwant to see everytime I log in.

Apt101

That is such vast improvement over the current UI. Every time I fire up my XB1 to play a UHD disc I grimace at that dated, clunky, flat-out terrible UI. Still some refinement to do, but this looks like they're finally catching up with Sony.

It has always been awful since inception. The whole idea of it came from a time when Facebook was still relevant. They need to send it out to pasture.

No it's not, it was only usueless when it came out because there was rarely anything useful to share. Since clubs and tournaments, my community tab is full of fun content and cool people that share things I'm interested in.

Sure it's not perfect, sure some dodo heads ruin the popular section by posting pictures of their massive thingamabobs with poor makeup jobs, or sharing AMVs that would make me blush, but it could always be improved. Just like this new UX.

Chris1

I agree that you should be able to have it on your home. But, if it was customizable, then you, who uses the Gold shortcut constantly, could have it easily accessible. For me, who uses it once a month to download the freebies, could relegate it to the block section instead, freeing up space for the things I mostwant to see everytime I log in.
Ok I agree. You should be able to have anything you want, any size, any place on your home screen. Don't want MG&A tile and just want to use pins? Get rid of that, If you don't want store tab, get rid of that. If you don't want mixer tab, get rid of that. If you want a certain tile to have a background you could do that too, want MG&A to be a different colour from rest of tiles or have achievement art or whatever as a background? It'd be possible

But I think that's unrealistic sadly but that's definitely how it should be, after all it's your homescreen you should be able to customize it to how you want, not how engineers at MS want. But at the end of the day these companies want to shove ads down your throat so there's always gonna be something you can't completely get rid of and that amount of customization would make it hard for support etc.

All I'm saying is the Gold Hub tile isn't an ad, it might not be useful for some people but it isn't an ad and if anything was to stay it should be that

Alx

I switched back to "Xbox *" commands, and "Xbox On" wouldn't work either... I guess waking up through voice isn't active at all in my build.

New alpha ring update confirmed for this evening. Hopefully it massively cleans up the bugs I've been coming across.
Brad Rossetti‏ @WorkWombatman 2m2 minutes ago

Xbox One Insiders - Preview Alpha users releasing a new 1710 build @ 6.00pm PDT 8/16 with various fixes

marciocdb

Banned
....and it is out:

Team,
Preview Alpha Users we are releasing a new 1710 build at 6.00pm PDT today
https://forums.xbox.com/en-us/thread/427fba84-cef5-4607-855f-40c243793c06
August 16th: New Preview Alpha build available (1710.17813-1700)

HOW TO GET IT
• If your console is in Instant-On mode and you have been selected to receive the update, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
• NOTE: Once the update is available to you, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Updates.
• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00 AM PDT 8/18/2017 (8:00AM GMT 18/8), you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS
OS version released: rs2_release_xbox_1706.170813-1700
Available: 6:00PM PDT 8/16 (1:00AM GMT 17/8)
Thank you Xbox Insiders for your feedback on our first 1710 preview update! We’re listening. This second 1710 preview update has a set of key fixes for Home, Guide, party disconnects, offline pins, and more. We have more feature updates coming over the next few weeks, including many based on feedback from Xbox Insiders from the first 1710 preview update. Please keep the feedback coming!

A core focus of this preview update is speed. One performance improvement you’ll notice is we’ve sped up the virtual keyboard. Please let us know what you think of the changes, and be sure to complete the Custom Home Page Quest in the Xbox Insider Hub to give us feedback on the new dashboard.

FIXES:
• Home
• Resolved an issue which could cause unexpected navigation when using LT and RT on the dashboard. • Home should no longer crash when attempting to edit, move, or delete content blocks. • Miscellaneous fixes and improvements for Home.
• Games & Apps
Fixed an issue which caused errors when transferring games and apps between external hard drives.
• Controller
A new controller firmware update is available for Xbox One controllers with Bluetooth. You can manually download the update from Settings > Kinect & devices > Devices & accessories > Device info.

KNOWN ISSUES:
• Child Accounts
• Screen time limits for child accounts may not be enforced. • Granting a child account permission to access a game or app may fail to launch the game or app.
• App Updates
The Store (and other apps) may fail to update, although the apps still launch successfully.
• Home
• The delete (trash can) icon on Suggested Home content blocks does not function. • When Netflix (and other games or apps with light backgrounds) is launched and displayed in the large tile on the Home screen, the white text underneath is obscured.

StillEdge

Dead By Daylight has been unplayable since this update for me. Like 5 frames per second and just does not get better.
More info OG Xbox One and playing on an external.

Bsigg12

Dead By Daylight has been unplayable since this update for me. Like 5 frames per second and just does not get better.
More info OG Xbox One and playing on an external.

I feel like I'm getting a ton of hitching in all sorts of games. Sonic Mania and Madden 18 specifically keep dropping frames and it's really annoying.

Lichter

I like this a lot. Now if I can just pin my apps right next to/below that bottom row with very little wasted space it would be perfect.

I've also noticed the Xbox One subreddit hasn't been too happy with the new dashboard and there has been a few mock ups made. (this actually might be the most divisive update yet from what I've seen)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6syemm/minimal_xbox_one_dash_mockup_because_i_hate_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t22yo/dashboard_mockup_other_interpretation_of_fluent/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t2ps9/xbox_fluent_design_concept_revised_version/

Amateur of course but it's interesting to see the responses to all of them.

The last one looks great. I want something like that being released on the PC Xbox app. A sort of Xbox big picture.

With tonight's build there are now filters for xbonex enhanced games on my games and apps.

Oh, good eye. I also see filters for "4K games" and "HDR games".

The HBO GO video issue is also fixed in this build. Good to see that fixed quickly, the GO app's streaming quality on Xbox is dramatically better than the TV app (not really sure why that's a thing).

TheKeyPit

Banned
Any news on potential changes to the home screen and other layout issues?
"We have more feature updates coming over the next few weeks, including many based on feedback from Xbox Insiders from the first 1710 preview update."

That's all we know.

Theorry

5jZWXch.jpg

Alx

Yay, "Xbox on" worked again this morning (a bit slow to react, but still better than not at all :) ).

I'm not sure I see the point in filtering the games by "X enhanced" or HDR or so... after all those efforts to make sure that "games are games" and fuzzy the lines between regular Xbox games, BC games etc, now they are drawing the lines again and adding new ones. Weird and inconsistent.
Instead of arbitrary categories, maybe they should have a tag-based filter, so you could choose "4K" or "enhanced" as keywords, but also "free to play", "family-oriented", "fighting", "couch multiplayer",...

MCD

Yay, "Xbox on" worked again this morning (a bit slow to react, but still better than not at all :) ).

I'm not sure I see the point in filtering the games by "X enhanced" or HDR or so... after all those efforts to make sure that "games are games" and fuzzy the lines between regular Xbox games, BC games etc, now they are drawing the lines again and adding new ones. Weird and inconsistent.
Instead of arbitrary categories, maybe they should have a tag-based filter, so you could choose "4K" or "enhanced" as keywords, but also "free to play", "family-oriented", "fighting", "couch multiplayer",...

Well think about it from this perspective:

I just bought a shiny new Xbox one S or X. Where are these shiny 4K/HDR games?

Raide

Well think about it from this perspective:

I just bought a shiny new Xbox one S or X. Where are these shiny 4K/HDR games?

It's also a great way to show current xbox one owners that their current list of games will benefit a 1X purchase. Like the BC stuff, it's always nice to see a list get populated with games you already have.

The update seems to have fixed a lot of the bugs I came across related to the home page and editing blocks, crashing the dashboard through various means, etc. One other nice change: when you click guide and down it now goes to My Games & Apps instead of Store. Quicker access. Still wish pins was ordered before Store, but it's better than it was, for sure.

Top Bottom