• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Le Pen says 'world peace' would gain from a Trump-Putin-Le Pen trio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

French far-right party leader Marine Le Pen said on Wednesday that her election as president next year would form a trio of world leaders with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump and Russia's Vladimir Putin that "would be good for world peace."

Inaugurating her campaign headquarters for France's 2017 election, just less than two km (one mile) away from the Elysee presidential palace, Le Pen said the premises were "a stopover on the way to (her) final destination down the road."

Anti-Europe and anti-immigration, the 48-year-old Le Pen was the only French political leader who backed Trump in the U.S. election.

Her National Front party has been buoyed by his victory and that of Britain's vote to leave the European Union, hoping to ride a similar anti-establishment wave in France to victory in next year's poll.

"There is a worldwide movement. A worldwide movement which rejects unchecked globalisation, destructive ultra-liberalism ... the elimination of nation states, the disappearance of borders," Le Pen told reporters.

"The forces at work in these various elections are ideas, forces which could bring about my election as the president of France next May."

Opinion polls see Le Pen making it to the second round of the April and May presidential election but losing that run-off to a mainstream candidate from the center-right.

But pollsters' failure to predict Trump's win or Britain's vote in June to leave the EU have cast doubt on how reliable election predictions are.

Asked if she would be next to prove pollsters wrong and form a trio of leaders with Russia's Putin, who has drawn fire from European leaders for backing the Syrian government against Western-backed rebels in Aleppo, and Trump, who like her has tapped anti-immigrant sentiment to gain popularity, Le Pen told reporters: "That would be good for world peace."

"If I am president, France would have good relations with Russia," she said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...662f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

How much power does the president have in France? There are many European countries like Finland (where I live) where the president makes no decisions and is just a figure head.

Eylos

Banned
My God, the mayans would be fucking genius if that happen, a mistake of only 4 years of the end of the world.

I don't necessarily think "unchecked globalisation" is a good thing, especially if all of that expansion is benefiting the richest people. But then, far-right people rarely take a stand against the large corporations that promote globalisation. Practice what you preach.

However, I have not a damn idea what "ultra-liberalism" is supposed to mean. These people are as bad as marketers at attaching fluff words to concepts to paint them as bad. And then, ironically, they want to pretend that they're "straightforward" people.

jaxom

Small fun fact, Lepen, like a lot of far right parties in europe, is accused to be partly financed by putin.

He loves to make a mess in Europe.

How much power does the president have in France? There are many European countries like Finland (where I live) where the president makes no decisions and is just a figure head.

A lot more power than the US president as there is less safewalls behind. They just don't play stupid as french people are quite good to make strikes and revolts ^^

Pretty fucking depressing to see the Allies turn into the Axis one at a time.

I once drunkenly had an idea that Hitler was playing the long game because in his death throes he remarked that the ideal would live on and have a resurgence, even if it took a century. >_> well played.

Woorloog

Banned
I once drunkenly had an idea that Hitler was playing the long game because in his death throes he remarked that the ideal would live on and have a resurgence, even if it took a century. >_> well played.

Maybe he wasn't killed but Nazis actually made cryo-stasis for Hitler... I mean, at this point, i would not be surprised if that happened.

Slaythe

This is literally a new world order if she gets presidency.

Because EU dies, if France is out. (and now that UK is out)

Leaving only the US, Russia, France, vs Germany and the smaller countries.

A fucking nightmare.

edit :

And the alternative isn't any better.

The left will never pass in 2017 after the disaster that was the last president (most unpopular one in history).

It's gonna be Right vs alt right.

So basically Sarkozy again.

Sarkozy is now copying Trump and multiplying the offenses and lacking human decency, is a notable racist too.

Fuck this shit.

Mudcrab

Britain, America, and now France. Reading the OP where they mention the National Fronts' surprising victories but ultimately predict a loss sounds eerily familiar.

ezrarh

A fucking nightmare.

It's like reverse WWII where Germany are the good guys. What a fucking world.

mo60

French voters, please don't let us down next year :/

I hope they don't let us down to.

Anyway looking at past election results for french elections for the FN including that infamous 2002 presidential election Le Pen should not really be happy about trump's election win because it probably won't help her much.

A fucking nightmare.

edit :

And the alternative isn't any better.

The left will never pass in 2017 after the disaster that was the last president (most unpopular one in history).

It's gonna be Right vs alt right.

So basically Sarkozy again.

Sarkozy is now copying Trump and multiplying the offenses and lacking human decency, is a notable racist too.

Fuck this shit.

I'm not to worried about Le Pen winning the french presidential elections next year. I always thought she had a signficantly lower chance of winning the presidency then trump because of how toxic the FN is in france to voters and how the election syystem works there.

I just hope Juppe wins his primary because he will make her lose if she gets to the second round in a huge landslide. Sarokzy may still crush her but I'm less certain about him doing really well agianst her.

jaxom

A fucking nightmare.

You want to make it a bigger nightmare ?

Nearly all the major nuke powers on the same side.

Lime

UN Security Council 2017

Cw7ckEZXAAEsrM8.jpg

China save us!!

Azzanadra

Can someone who is French tell me if her ascension is likely? My gut tells me no based on how France seems to be more homogenous, but still.

It depends on whether the president has a majority of seats in parliament (legislative elections are in June 2017, one month after the presidential election) or not.
Realistically even if she gets elected president I don't see her getting a majority. There isn't much fuss to make about the 2017 French presidential election. 2022 could be another story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom