• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

clemenx

Banned
In all my years playing lol I've only spent money for skins I absolutely love, that's not going to change.

If I lived in a non shit country tho, I'd probably have bought all the champions with RP or something.

killatopak

Gold Member
In all my years playing lol I've only spent money for skins I absolutely love, that's not going to change.

If I lived in a non shit country tho, I'd probably have bought all the champions with RP or something.

Is your country covered by riot servers or some other company like garena? Garena makes the prices of thing cheaper depending on your country which is nice for us on garena servers. For example, the $10 rp card is sold at $5 dollars in my country.

clemenx

Banned
Is your country covered by riot servers or some other company like garena? Garena makes the prices of thing cheaper depending on your country which is nice for us on garena servers. For example, the $10 rp card is sold at $5 dollars in my country.

Yeah, Riot is actually awesome, I think in that regard. Honestly back when they opened them it was the first time I saw a company open dedicated Latin American servers. Some other online games have done the same since.

I honestly have no idea if skins and shit are cheaper here in comparison, I've never done that research, Zkylon probably knows. The thing is that my country is in a really bad shape compared to even other Latin American countries so that's not much help lol.

We’re tightening the decay rules in Challenger and Master tier to encourage healthier competition at the highest level of play.

We want to raise the bar on how we recognize players who hit the top of the ladder at the end of the competitive season, so we’re working on new physical rewards for Challenger

We’re adding an autofill ‘grace period’ for all players and a guarantee that you’ll never be autofilled during a promotion series.
Yooo these sound dope. The separate divisions for solo/dynamic is basically confirmed then.

Nice. Solo queue will be back for the higher ranks.

but what about us not at higher ranks? If I want to play solo queue and know everyone has the same level of coordination as me, why can't I do that? Is this all about queue times? I can't recall why all this was changed. Can someone refresh my memory?

zkylon

zkylewd
what's the tldr on ranked? can't read, at work

The person that designed Tryndameres kit should be fired, so unfun to play against.

Anyways, Yorick rework seems pretty cool but will probably be really annoying to deal with.
well considering trynda's kit is like a billion years old chances are they either don't work at rito anymore or they learned their lesson

no one should be fired for making a bad champion tho -___-

Fucking IP grinds man, was saving for Kled but now idk if buying someof those chromas. Are they worth it?

IP grinding sucks when you are only able to play a couple of games a day :(
i think most chromas are lame and are not really worth it. look up videos on youtube or try them out for yourself on pbe before buying anything

Yeah, Riot is actually awesome, I think in that regard. Honestly back when they opened them it was the first time I saw a company open dedicated Latin American servers. Some other online games have done the same since.

I honestly have no idea if skins and shit are cheaper here in comparison, I've never done that research, Zkylon probably knows. The thing is that my country is in a really bad shape compared to even other Latin American countries so that's not much help lol.
skins cost the same, but we have regional pricing for rp

for example here in argieland with like 5 usd buys you like 8 usd worth of rp compared to america

tho it depends a lot of which payment method you use (paypal/credit card is always best)

Xeilyn

well considering trynda's kit is like a billion years old chances are they either don't work at rito anymore or they learned their lesson

no one should be fired for making a bad champion tho -___-
Im just salty that i got beaten and had an extremely awful time, we all say things we dont mean when that happens.

Talents

Banned
what's the tldr on ranked? can't read, at work

TL;DR: For players near the top of the ladder, we’re bringing back solo queue and making a number of other changes focused on competitive integrity. For 2017, we’re developing a new ranked experience that offers legitimate competitive standings for all types of players. We’ll have details on the 2017 features in late September—you can read on for the short-term changes planned.

We’re focused on the top first because that’s where the 2016 ranked season changes have caused the most pain, and where we believe we can take immediate action to address player feedback. Accurate standings are critical when determining the top of the ladder, and we’re committed to addressing that with the following changes:

Challenger tier will shift to pure solo, and Diamond and Master tiers to solo/duo. We’re making this change first at Diamond / Master / Challenger because even minor levels of premade coordination have disproportionate effects on match quality at the highest tiers of ranked, given the limitations of the player pool and the sometimes massive skill disparities between single divisions.

We’re tightening the decay rules in Challenger and Master tier to encourage healthier competition at the highest level of play.

We want to raise the bar on how we recognize players who hit the top of the ladder at the end of the competitive season, so we’re working on new physical rewards for Challenger (more details coming soon).

We’re adding an autofill ‘grace period’ for all players and a guarantee that you’ll never be autofilled during a promotion series. Autofill is essential for ensuring shorter queue times during off-peak hours, but it can be pretty obnoxious if it happens back-to-back (this generally only happened at Master+).

shira

- With CSGO knocking on the door as a primetime esports this time between Worlds 2016 and 2017 is going to very interesting for Riot and Valve

- Even Dota 2 seems to have peaked in terms of International contributions at $20M. It will be very interesting to see how the 2 companies can keep or increase their audience or fall to the FPS resurgance + Blizzard games Hots/Overwatch/Hearthstone

Leezard

but what about us not at higher ranks? If I want to play solo queue and know everyone has the same level of coordination as me, why can't I do that? Is this all about queue times? I can't recall why all this was changed. Can someone refresh my memory?

I don't know. I thought the recent survey about shared matchmaking, separate ladders was a good idea.

Having both solo/dynamic is probably for queue times, sure. As for why dynamic got into the game to begin with, my guess is to let people play with their friends in ranked in an easier way than the old ranked 5s. You'd have to dig up old riot posts if you want a proper answer, unless someone else here knows.

https://esports.yahoo.com/not-brief-timeline-current-league-000000257.html

Thoughts on this article about League payouts and finances for its teams? It was posted in the Dotes thread but not here. Seems like a really bad look for such a popular game to not be better compensating its teams while simultaneously creating an atmosphere that is somewhat antithetical to 3rd party sponsorships, then getting ugly on Reddit about it all.

I don't know. I thought the recent survey about shared matchmaking, separate ladders was a good idea.

Having both solo/dynamic is probably for queue times, sure. As for why dynamic got into the game to begin with, my guess is to let people play with their friends in ranked in an easier way than the old ranked 5s. You'd have to dig up old riot posts if you want a proper answer, unless someone else here knows.

I see. Well TY. I'm fine with the line of thinking that it was for queue times. Though I don't remember queue times being much worse then than they are now. idk.

Leezard

https://esports.yahoo.com/not-brief-timeline-current-league-000000257.html

Thoughts on this article about League payouts and finances for its teams? It was posted in the Dotes thread but not here. Seems like a really bad look for such a popular game to not be better compensating its teams while simultaneously creating an atmosphere that is somewhat antithetical to 3rd party sponsorships, then getting ugly on Reddit about it all.
It got posted in the LCS thread. But yeah, seems like a shit show. Better compensation seems more fair, especially when compared to other games.

I see. Well TY. I'm fine with the line of thinking that it was for queue times. Though I don't remember queue times being much worse then than they are now. idk.
Queue times have gotten longer due to new champ select, i.e. the role selection. The relatively low percentage of support players is a bottleneck to the queue times.

Ketch

Why wouldn't they just make dynamic question for 2s,3s and 5s. Groups of fours would just have to find one more or split into 2s or 3/1. Then you can have a solo que experience. Does it do the thing where it automatically tries to match team group sizes? Like 5s get matched with 5s and 4/1s with 4/1s etc?

Queue times have gotten longer due to new champ select, i.e. the role selection. The relatively low percentage of support players is a bottleneck to the queue times.

that does make sense. well I'm reasonably happy with how it is now as I am assured that I will always get one of my 2 best positions. It's easy to forget that before you could end up playing literally anything, depending on your pick order and how others were feeling.

killatopak

Gold Member
I think role selection had a bit to do with the complaints about how people feel that it's harder to climb in ranked and attribute them to dyna q. It's mostly because you will probably play against someone who mains the same role as you so it's harder to win in lane making it harder to win overall. The whole team now tends to know what they're doing and what they need to do to win because they're efficient in that role as opposed to season 5 where you get top and mid laners getting jungle or support.

So you get people thinking they're premade and such. Just my opinion based on our servers forums and experience.

I forget sometimes that Alistar's ult gives him AD.

Back in my day, the story of attack speed alistar was well known. You could build him attack speed, and with his ultimate he'd be able to solo any champion or any turret without any help. Stick tp on him, with a couple of wards, and he could literally backdoor you at any moment.

He promises more in-game team stuff with shared revenue and franchising/sponsoring. Thats hella good, need to act on it tho

Yup. I imagine it might be hard for them to implement, it's not like DotA where the engine League is on isn't really open source or has a workshop alternative..

zkylon

zkylewd
jmGpNDf.jpg

this one's pretty funny i gotta say

iamblades

man i changed my mind

invisibility is not a good mechanic

been having a really bad string of games against shacos and twitches

lemme put it this way

the international is an ad for dota

dota is an ad for steam

i'm not saying any of this is bad, just being honest with how these things work

the point of dota is to get people on steam to buy games/hats/whatever, everything that gives valve money (so everything you do on steam, basically)

steam is pretty awesome, dota is pretty awesome, everybody wins. valve wins more, of course

point here is that lcs being an ad for league is not something that's unique to league

yeah, sure, the whole "millions of dollars" line was embarrassing (tho i'm not sure if the idea of reginald being like a struggling team owner is like even worse lol)

personally i really don't care about these money fights when there's like two team owners vs tryndamere and as far as i'm concerned things generally seem to work

if teams are struggling to pay players riot should pay more money and if they don't have more money have coca cola sponsor lcs and use that money to pay em

i'm really glad that i can't even guess for the life of me what a non-endemic sponsor is

i understand the point of this metaphore but it never works cos afaik in basketball the rules never change

in league rules change every two to three weeks, adapting to rules changing is a skill of playing league as much as warding and last hitting

it's annoying for players and teams so riot should time it better, but it's integral to league and i'm not gonna be against the game constantly getting better

The NBA has minor rule changes basically every year. Granted half the time it is either an interpretation change of a rewrite of a rule to make it easier for the refs to call the game, but in real sports those kinds of minor things can have pretty large impacts.

Even the MLB has rules changes pretty much annually, and they have the most static rule set of any major pro sport I can think of.

Patches every two to three weeks is way too often. Not because adapting to the changes isn't a skill, but because in that time period it is impossible to adapt, especially in the league format where pro teams only play a handful of games that matter in those 2-3 weeks.

Really though most in season league patches have historically not altered anything in terms of the meta. A handful of heroes may move up or down a tier in pick priority, but the reason for the controversy with this patch timing is that this patch does fundamentally change the meta.

I don't agree with Monte that the laneswap meta was a positive example of strategic depth, but I also don't think the meta was the cause of the boring conservative bloodless games, so I don't think throwing out the meta right before the playoffs is going to do anything to make the game any more exciting to watch. Pro games are conservative and safe because of deep and fundamental design decisions Riot has made about vision and relative strengths of initiation vs disengage.

Pros play a safe and boring style because it is possible to do so, and safe and boring > risky and exciting when it comes to winning games.

Point is this was not a pressing issue that could not wait until after the pro season.

clemenx

Banned
The NBA has minor rule changes basically every year. Granted half the time it is either an interpretation change of a rewrite of a rule to make it easier for the refs to call the game, but in real sports those kinds of minor things can have pretty large impacts.

Even the MLB has rules changes pretty much annually, and they have the most static rule set of any major pro sport I can think of.

Patches every two to three weeks is way too often. Not because adapting to the changes isn't a skill, but because in that time period it is impossible to adapt, especially in the league format where pro teams only play a handful of games that matter in those 2-3 weeks.

Really though most in season league patches have historically not altered anything in terms of the meta. A handful of heroes may move up or down a tier in pick priority, but the reason for the controversy with this patch timing is that this patch does fundamentally change the meta.

I don't agree with Monte that the laneswap meta was a positive example of strategic depth, but I also don't think the meta was the cause of the boring conservative bloodless games, so I don't think throwing out the meta right before the playoffs is going to do anything to make the game any more exciting to watch. Pro games are conservative and safe because of deep and fundamental design decisions Riot has made about vision and relative strengths of initiation vs disengage.

Pros play a safe and boring style because it is possible to do so, and safe and boring > risky and exciting when it comes to winning games.

Point is this was not a pressing issue that could not wait until after the pro season.

Again, I completely disagree with comparing rule changes in sports to changes patch to patch LoL has, it's a completely different scale and impact. LoL patches aren't that big and that's why they do it so constantly, this maybe could be changed for the better and there's certainly a debate to be had there but I don't think the current system is "broken"

Exciting may vary for each person, and there's still the whole championship diversity to tackle, but the playoffs for every big league have all been really entertaining, almost day and night compared to the final weeks of regular season. At the same time nothing "freaky" has happened thanks to the new patch with the "huge" changes. Consistency has remained in the results, good teams have done good and teams that squeezed to playoffs have mostly done bad.

I think it was a pressing issue, basically everyone was complaining about the lack of action in general in pro games week after week. Can't have the biggest event in the year be a snoozefest.

I acknowledge that it may be a pain in the ass for the teams but as harsh as it may sound that's not really the spectators problem.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lissandra -
Health Growth lowered to 75 from 78 (84 on live)
Ice Shard (Q) mana cost changed to 80/85/90/95/100 from 95 at all ranks
(NOTE: This is a change to a previous PBE change. Value is 85 at all ranks on live)
not sure if her health growth was unusually high and i don't like mana nerfs when her current build path is awesome and jamming a morellos in there will really make it a bummer

i really don't think lissandra needs a nerf

Taliyah
Mana growth reverted to 60 from 50
Base Mana regem reverted to 1.4 from 1.2
Mana regen growth reverted to .17 from .16
Unraveled Earth (E) damage lowered to 70/90/110/130/150 from 80/100/120/140/160 (live value is 80-180)
ok rito back to their senses lol

they'll nerf something else im sure

i think there's been enough time to prepare for worlds and playoffs teams don't seem to have had that much trouble adjusting

this is kind of a half truth, the changes they've made have turned the pro play into something a lot more interactive and fun

it was pressing, no one wanted to watch a worlds in which teams didn't do anything for half the game and snowballed games off who bounced waves better

they did what they had to do, it may be a bitch for pros, but competitive is better for it

Laneswaps were a pressing issue because we were about to head into worlds with the most boring fucking meta in years. Teams complaining about changing the meta to standard lanes is silly IMO, they should absolutely be ready for standard lanes if they got countered or didn't want to, if making standard lanes the norm hurt teams that much then it shows how stupid swaps were since they were the optimal strategy.

Ketch

Noob question.

How is rod of ages not like an amazing item? I never see it on recommended items list, but it seems like it would be super OP on any AP bruiser or assassin. Like build it first item and then you don't need any more hp/mana or sustain, you could just go straight damage after that. And it's cheap!

Like it wouldnt it be great for gragas, or other AP heroes?

Maybe like Diana?

drawkcaB

Noob question.

How is rod of ages not like an amazing item? I never see it on recommended items list, but it seems like it would be super OP on any AP bruiser or assassin. Like build it first item and then you don't need any more hp/mana or sustain, you could just go straight damage after that. And it's cheap!

Like it wouldnt it be great for gragas, or other AP heroes?

The 10 minute ramp-up time can be killer for champions who need another completed item beforehand.

Take jungle Gragas for example, or any AP jungler. By the time you can buy RoA it'll be around the 15+ min mark at best (since you need to complete runic echoes first) so that purchase won't be fully stacked until 25 min. That's actually bad news, because larger fights over objectives where you need every bit of combat power available are in full swing.

On top of that, the healing and mana regen passives aren't that good on most champions. Unless you have a continuously draining or extremely low cold own mana ability (like Karthus' defile) the heal value is actually pretty ineffective.

It's not that it's a bad item, rather that it's more targeted at particular champions than you might think.

Ketch

Hmm yea, I was thinking that you'd have to get it first item for the timed stacks. Maybe it's still good in my low skill bracket where team fights over objectives don't happen until min 55 if ever.

Edit: I think I'll try it on Diana. Rod of ages first item then Nashors tooth then finish with rabadons..... Is that bad?

Nekofrog

Banned
I need to get diamond quick so it's easier to do for next season and I can avoid the premades. So close, 1 game for promos again

zkylon

zkylewd
Marc, I agree that these urgent issues need to be addressed immediately. There is a detailed proposal signed by NA LCS teams and players headed to your inbox today. We'll solve these problems together.

#LCSForever,

Andy

man regi came out of this as a class act

to think that this guy used to sabotage montecristo ran tournaments by having his players stream at the same time

he's come a long way

anyways now that this pesky drama is out of the way

let's get to the part that matters

WBLgZ9U.jpg

which ahri are you

i think we all know noot is a firefox ahri type, but really, ask yourself, which ahri are you

man regi came out of this as a class act

to think that this guy used to sabotage montecristo ran tournaments by having his players stream at the same time

he's come a long way

anyways now that this pesky drama is out of the way

let's get to the part that matters

WBLgZ9U.jpg

which ahri are you

i think we all know noot is a firefox ahri type, but really, ask yourself, which ahri are you
ahahahahahahahaha

zkylon

zkylewd
ghost is totally midnight ahri

also really good riven fanart by rioter knkl

lol___riven_the_exile_by_knkl-daf97qx.jpg

why are you bummed girl, you just got buffed

drawkcaB

Hmm yea, I was thinking that you'd have to get it first item for the timed stacks. Maybe it's still good in my low skill bracket where team fights over objectives don't happen until min 55 if ever.

Edit: I think I'll try it on Diana. Rod of ages first item then Nashors tooth then finish with rabadons..... Is that bad?

Depends, where are you playing Diana? I don't play her much, so someone could provide better info, but Diana's principal first buy item in lane (typically mid) is Abyssal Scepter, so she has the problem where because it isn't her first big item, then RoA isn't great on her.

Nashor's tooth is more of a situational item on Diana. It's used for Diana players who want to splitpush. The attack speed pumps up the frequency of when her passive goes off, and that extra damage is applied to towers. Late game, she get really shred towers with it, but Diana isn't the best splitpusher either. Inexperienced Diana's are better off sticking with the team and just being a typical assassin.

Items like Lich Bane, Luden's Echo, and Protobelt are good buys because they'll increase her burst and let her be a better assassin. Zhonya's Hourglass will give her some survivability thanks to the active. If you need tank stats, pairing the AP from "assassin" items with armor and MR from Guardian Angel will make her a bit tougher. Rabaddon's Deathcap is a "win more" item on her - meaning that whenever she gets the opportunity to buy it the game is well in hand anyways.

If you're playing jungle Diana then everything still applies, only difference is that you'll be picking up a Runic Echo (which is essentially a gimpy version of a Luden's Echo) and then going into either Abyssal Scepter or Lich Bane.

Top Bottom