• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Talents

Banned
Who's gud for mid lane atm? Starting to play league again after not really playing for 2 months other than a few games. I really like new Ryze even if his win rate is utter garbage.

zkylon

zkylewd
sounds like the 50% dmg against minions taliyah thing is going through

the way danielzklein makes it sound, they're basically nerfing her a lot because they ran out of time to properly balance her before worlds

that's really disappointing, i do think her waveclear needed nerfs and that she's gonna be a lot healthier with normal waveclear + buffs elsewhere (i would kind of love seeing her worked ground movement speed be actually meaningful), but i can see her winrate jumping off a cliff on 6.18 and me not playing her anymore

i also really dislike how they're nerfing lissandra when she's not pick and ban or performing weird in any statistics. she's a cool mid, you want lizzy at worlds, she drives action like few other mids do ffs

meanwhile malzahar pretty much wins every game in competitive while doing absolutely nothing in lane, varus is like permaban in korea and rylais is built on every single midlaner

Who's gud for mid lane atm? Starting to play league again after not really playing for 2 months other than a few games. I really like new Ryze even if his win rate is utter garbage.
imo:

- taliyah is really fun and really op, but she's getting pretty big nerfs next patch so idk
- viktor is very strong yet a lot more fair after the nerf
- syndra is one of the strongest mids atm thanks to maxing w second after the rework, but i doubt riot will let her live long
- cassi is imo pretty strong and fun, but not as easy to fit in any comp
- malz is still broken if you hate your life and everyone else's
- gp is also broken
- aurelion sol is imo super broken but so boring

also ori just got buffed so might be fun to play her again. probably not since they nerfed her favorite item and hung her out to dry

New meta for 6.17

>GP is still busted because for whatever reason Riot won't nerf his barrels. Top lane meta will continue to be warped around GP for the forseeable future.
>Taliyah/Syndra/ASol become FOTM because they have super long ranged safe waveclear. Taliyah has the strongest roams in the game while Asol and Syndra are extremely strong teamfighting carries.
>Ashe/Sivir primary bot lane carries because they do ridiculous damage with almost 0 drawbacks.
>Gragas destroyed. Rek'Sai destroyed. Elise/Nidalee continue to be highly contested. Evelynn buff worthless because Eve can't even full clear her own jungle.
>Thresh buff worthless. Still too little armor/MR to fight other supports early. Trundle Pillar nerf destroys support.

Out of interest what other options are there for top lane? GP being 100% PB two years in a row at Worlds (or close enough) doesn't sound too fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
He's not.
uh, he's the most banned champion on lck playoffs :I

permaban is probably too much but a champion getting banned 10 times is a lot

meanwhile lizzy gets played a few times and gets serious nerfs despite not overperforming on any statistic

New meta for 6.17

>GP is still busted because for whatever reason Riot won't nerf his barrels. Top lane meta will continue to be warped around GP for the forseeable future.
>Taliyah/Syndra/ASol become FOTM because they have super long ranged safe waveclear. Taliyah has the strongest roams in the game while Asol and Syndra are extremely strong teamfighting carries.
>Ashe/Sivir primary bot lane carries because they do ridiculous damage with almost 0 drawbacks.
>Gragas destroyed. Rek'Sai destroyed. Elise/Nidalee continue to be highly contested. Evelynn buff worthless because Eve can't even full clear her own jungle.
>Thresh buff worthless. Still too little armor/MR to fight other supports early. Trundle Pillar nerf destroys support.
pretty much, although 6.17 is probably unimportant since worlds is played on 6.18

on 6.18 sivir is getting bigger nerfs and if they don't nerf ashe more i think it'll be ashe #1 by far

also reksai and gragas will drop a tier below nidalee and elise (and maybe olaf or zac or whatever other jungler people play), but they'll still be near the top. lee sin might show up, vi buffs are really minor so probably not, eve buff is pretty big but i don't think she'll show up much on competitive.

Out of interest what other options are there for top lane? GP being 100% PB two years in a row at Worlds (or close enough) doesn't sound too fun.
gp got really hit really hard in 6.17, imo gnar is gonna be the one to warp toplane, not gp

trinity force ekko is pretty op and the upcoming nerfs don't seem too serious, irelia is still very much relevant, maybe rumble, shen, tahm kench, idk

i don't get why ppl stopped playing illaoi, i think she's still pretty good

Leezard

so zky lied?!

He said in Korea. Just checking if you noticed. Forgot to quote Zky.

Isn't it lower cooldown on earlier levels and a bit higher on max levels? I don't think it'll matter in the end and it's actually better right out of the gate considering bot lane stays at lower levels longer.

uh, he's the most banned champion on lck playoffs :I

permaban is probably too much but a champion getting banned 10 times is a lot

meanwhile lizzy gets played a few times and gets serious nerfs despite not overperforming on any statistic

pretty much, although 6.17 is probably unimportant since worlds is played on 6.18

on 6.18 sivir is getting bigger nerfs and if they don't nerf ashe more i think it'll be ashe #1 by far

also reksai and gragas will drop a tier below nidalee and elise (and maybe olaf or zac or whatever other jungler people play), but they'll still be near the top. lee sin might show up, vi buffs are really minor so probably not, eve buff is pretty big but i don't think she'll show up much on competitive.

gp got really hit really hard in 6.17, imo gnar is gonna be the one to warp toplane, not gp

trinity force ekko is pretty op and the upcoming nerfs don't seem too serious, irelia is still very much relevant, maybe rumble, shen, tahm kench, idk

i don't get why ppl stopped playing illaoi, i think she's still pretty good
Oh, I did not know you meant lck. To be fair I did not know his status in lck either. In good old solo/dynamic ranked he's not perma banned, which is what I was thinking of.

Nekofrog

Banned
the biggest advantage to varus outside of through-unit poke (the usual reason ppl pick varus) is that he's more effective against baron'ed up minions than a standard AP mid, at least imo

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm gonna be so pissed if 2016 worlds champions midlane skin is for freaking aurelion sol or omfg if it's malzahar i'm gonna murder someone

i got tpa ori but don't be shitty, riot, at least do syndra

Oh, I did not know you meant lck. To be fair I did not know his status in lck either. In good old solo/dynamic ranked he's not perma banned, which is what I was thinking of.
to be double fair it might just be that varus is a kuro special (which he is), idk

the biggest advantage to varus outside of through-unit poke (the usual reason ppl pick varus) is that he's more effective against baron'ed up minions than a standard AP mid, at least imo
he was a lot more popular in the poke era of viktor and azir

he doesn't deal super well with shorter range mids like vlad and malzahar who can super shove him i think, or aurelion sol and taliyah who super shove him, then roam

Ketch

Depends, where are you playing Diana? I don't play her much, so someone could provide better info, but Diana's principal first buy item in lane (typically mid) is Abyssal Scepter, so she has the problem where because it isn't her first big item, then RoA isn't great on her.

Nashor's tooth is more of a situational item on Diana. It's used for Diana players who want to splitpush. The attack speed pumps up the frequency of when her passive goes off, and that extra damage is applied to towers. Late game, she get really shred towers with it, but Diana isn't the best splitpusher either. Inexperienced Diana's are better off sticking with the team and just being a typical assassin.

Items like Lich Bane, Luden's Echo, and Protobelt are good buys because they'll increase her burst and let her be a better assassin. Zhonya's Hourglass will give her some survivability thanks to the active. If you need tank stats, pairing the AP from "assassin" items with armor and MR from Guardian Angel will make her a bit tougher. Rabaddon's Deathcap is a "win more" item on her - meaning that whenever she gets the opportunity to buy it the game is well in hand anyways.

If you're playing jungle Diana then everything still applies, only difference is that you'll be picking up a Runic Echo (which is essentially a gimpy version of a Luden's Echo) and then going into either Abyssal Scepter or Lich Bane.

Probably top lane. Abysal scepter is first item? seems kind of unnecessary that early in the game. Figured sorc boots + runes would be enough magic penetration to start out with.

I figured nashor's was always first for the cdr + ap + faster farming.

killatopak

Gold Member
Who builds Frozen Mallet?

Gnar, Yasuo and Ezreal with triforce instead of IBG.
Probably top lane. Abysal scepter is first item? seems kind of unnecessary that early in the game. Figured sorc boots + runes would be enough magic penetration to start out with.

If top lane then you could rush Zhonya if against ad and Abyssal against ap. Going Ap pens early on is never wrong. It goes down in value as the game goes on as %pen is more valuable late game. It still kinda depends if your enemies are stacking magic resists though so if against tanks then %pen like void staff. Against squishies then flat magic pen would be optimal. Rushing Nashor's if you plan to duel against top laners and split push is okay as well.

Calvero

Banned
after playing a few semi conscious games of Gangplank, he's pretty fun. His laning phase is fun, poke with Q to proc bandit every 5 seconds for easy 10 gold. and he plays fine if you're being shoved in since it's easy to set up cs. I like this champion, too bad I suck at him lol

Ketch

Pretty sure the ADC in my last match was a bot. Spoke 0 words the entire time, Autopicked Ashe at draft and literally ran bot and auto attacked creeps the entire game, from minute one to minute 50. She'd die obviously cus she's just standing there and then she'd respawn and run bot again and do it again, then they'd come for her and she'd just die again and repeat the whole game. never said a word, never went anywhere but bot lane... definitely a bot right?

what does there have to be some bullshit in every match. I'm beginning to remember why I quit the first time around. That's like an hour of my time I can't get back, ruined from the very beginning, and there's nothing I can do about it. Should have surrendered early but everyone else on the team was doing great. We could have one if we just had an ADC, like we just literally couldn't kill towers or baron and stuff... which makes winning the game much harder.

Fuck... in hindsight, we should have just went bot and pushed with the ashe bot. We might have been able to win.

Calvero

Banned
Pretty sure the ADC in my last match was a bot. Spoke 0 words the entire time, Autopicked Ashe at draft and literally ran bot and auto attacked creeps the entire game, from minute one to minute 50. She'd die obviously cus she's just standing there and then she'd respawn and run bot again and do it again, then they'd come for her and she'd just die again and repeat the whole game. never said a word, never went anywhere but bot lane... definitely a bot right?

what does there have to be some bullshit in every match. I'm beginning to remember why I quit the first time around. That's like an hour of my time I can't get back, ruined from the very beginning, and there's nothing I can do about it. Should have surrendered early but everyone else on the team was doing great. We could have one if we just had an ADC, like we just literally couldn't kill towers or baron and stuff... which makes winning the game much harder.

Fuck... in hindsight, we should have just went bot and pushed with the ashe bot. We might have been able to win.

yeah pre-level 30 you're gonna be encountering quite a few bots. after level 30 it pretty much all disappears. just play with Newt, just make sure to be toxic in game

Talents

Banned
Taliyah, Syndra, Lissandra.

imo:

- taliyah is really fun and really op, but she's getting pretty big nerfs next patch so idk
- syndra is one of the strongest mids atm thanks to maxing w second after the rework, but i doubt riot will let her live long
- gp is also broken

also ori just got buffed so might be fun to play her again. probably not since they nerfed her favorite item and hung her out to dry

Man, I know everyone's saying Taliyah is op but I can't really feel it. Seems like she gets dumped by champs with quick to use mobility in their kit. Like I played Taliyah yesterday against a pretty fed Riven and couldn't do shit. I'd go to W Riven away and she'd just dash past it.

Taliyah is OP because of the map pressure she brings. You hit 6 side lanes can't push anymore otherwise they get walled off.

Mobility isn't really an issue between Rylais and your E.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Man, I know everyone's saying Taliyah is op but I can't really feel it. Seems like she gets dumped by champs with quick to use mobility in their kit. Like I played Taliyah yesterday against a pretty fed Riven and couldn't do shit. I'd go to W Riven away and she'd just dash past it.
Get on the real op train which is Veigar.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
eh he's good, but his early to mid is pretty bad, you wanna farm with q but taliyah would push you in hard and then wall your bot lane at 6.
But his infinite ap scaling leads to
unlimited-power.gif

In other news that star wars sand thread was great.

zkylon

zkylewd
she's op cos her waveclear's insane and the ult gives her a ton of map pressure with tp

she's not a 1v1 champion, she's kind of like twisted fate

For Veigar, I feel like there's a lot of incentive to level up your box first. Sure you can farm minions with your Q, but more boxes means landing more skill shots.

5-man stun = 5 AP
5-man Dark Matter = 5 AP
Pentakill = 25 AP

drawkcaB

Top lane is a tougher call because you'll be facing more physical damage more often than not. In that instance building RoA first might be preferred. But you won't find many people suggesting you go top lane with Diana. Mid and jungle give her some protection pre-6 where he's somewhat weak. The distance between towers in the top lane and lack of escape make Diana an easy target.

Abyssal is good midlane not because of the magic pen, but because of the CDR, AP, and MR.

Who builds Frozen Mallet?

Secret broken on Tahm Kench. Land an auto and you force their flash when they panic. It's hilarious, actually.

Does anyone know the interaction between mana regen runes and the %mana regen from items? Do mana runes increase base regen and therefore benefit from the %mana regen bonus or is it just a flat value?

I'm asking because this crazy friend of mine wants to try out Ziggs jungle.

I'm kidding it's me. I want to try out Ziggs jungle.

You think Riot can add in some sort of buff that counts the number of nearby minion/monster deaths until you get a grave outside of Yorick's Q?

Ketch

Top lane is a tougher call because you'll be facing more physical damage more often than not. In that instance building RoA first might be preferred. But you won't find many people suggesting you go top lane with Diana. Mid and jungle give her some protection pre-6 where he's somewhat weak. The distance between towers in the top lane and lack of escape make Diana an easy target.

Abyssal is good midlane not because of the magic pen, but because of the CDR, AP, and MR.

Secret broken on Tahm Kench. Land an auto and you force their flash when they panic. It's hilarious, actually.

Does anyone know the interaction between mana regen runes and the %mana regen from items? Do mana runes increase base regen and therefore benefit from the %mana regen bonus or is it just a flat value?

I'm asking because this crazy friend of mine wants to try out Ziggs jungle.

I'm kidding it's me. I want to try out Ziggs jungle.

Hmm okay, that all makes sense. I guess the idea is that you going back more often and getting like the 400-500g items. I always try to save up like 1300 ish before I go back.

Ketch

I almost did this once. I straight up swear a recommended item list had 2 of them.
But i thought you couldnt buy 2 boots anymore?

I didn't notice until the after match score screen.... I honestly didn't think that I had... maybe it was a bug? but more likely, I brain farted and bought two.

sounds like the 50% dmg against minions taliyah thing is going through

the way danielzklein makes it sound, they're basically nerfing her a lot because they ran out of time to properly balance her before worlds

that's really disappointing, i do think her waveclear needed nerfs and that she's gonna be a lot healthier with normal waveclear + buffs elsewhere (i would kind of love seeing her worked ground movement speed be actually meaningful), but i can see her winrate jumping off a cliff on 6.18 and me not playing her anymore

i also really dislike how they're nerfing lissandra when she's not pick and ban or performing weird in any statistics. she's a cool mid, you want lizzy at worlds, she drives action like few other mids do ffs

meanwhile malzahar pretty much wins every game in competitive while doing absolutely nothing in lane, varus is like permaban in korea and rylais is built on every single midlaner

imo:

- gp is also broken

this fucking sucks. I like taliyah. Nerfing her waveclear is waaaay too fucking aggressive because she can only do it on unworked ground in the first place. I hate laziness. This is a lazy move.

Guess I better go ahead and get her to Rank 7 now.

Giving basically the best roaming mid laner in the game one button wave clear was a stupid idea to begin with.

But it's not a 1-button wave clear.

Not in the first 15 minutes, anyway. She can only clear either the front line or the back line with her Q on unworked ground. And once all useful ground has been worked, she can't do either well. If you force her to farm on worked ground, she will struggle (or at least, she won't be able to wave clear anymore). Lots of mids can push her under tower.

Top Bottom