• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't people play Katarina a bit tanky? She'll get completely focused on when she does her ult, which has pretty good damage anyway. I'm imagining the complete build to be like this:
- Sorc Shoes
- Atma
- Warmog
- Maw
- Randuin
- Rylai (extra slow) / Zhonya (wait out the cooldown a bit) / Banshee (might save from CC)

Core is probably Sorc Shoes, Atma, Randuin... reeeally pricey.

Preferably with big teammates like Alistar, Naut or Cho so it'd be harder to target her... plus they have hard CCs to prevent enemies from CCing her, specially Cho with his 3 second AoE silence.

Blizzard

Banned
Why don't people play Katarina a bit tanky? She'll get completely focused on when she does her ult, which has pretty good damage anyway. I'm imagining the complete build to be like this:
- Sorc Shoes
- Atma
- Warmog
- Maw
- Randuin
- Rylai (extra slow) / Zhonya (wait out the cooldown a bit) / Banshee (might save from CC)

Core is probably Sorc Shoes, Atma, Randuin... reeeally pricey.

Preferably with big teammates like Alistar, Naut or Cho so it'd be harder to target her... plus they have hard CCs to prevent enemies from CCing her, specially Cho with his 3 second AoE silence.
I don't know what "people" you're referring to since I already do that (that is, build tanky items on kat rather than pure AP). =P

Ideally you get amumu and wukong on your team so the triple ult combo is ridiculous. You have to bear in mind that you can still get killed by ulting into amumu's ult because people will nuke you while snared unless they're just confused.

I heard Maw is good on Katarina but I've probably only built it once or twice, and haven't worked it into the build yet. I use armor yellow and magic resist runes to be defensive to begin with, and I've started usually building mercury treads instead of sorc shoes if I'm against an AP mid with CC or heavy magic damage (which is most of them), unless I'm just totally dominating and the other team doesn't have much AP.

I try to go for gunblade (at least the spellvamp part) for sustain, then in -theory- hourglass for armor + invincibility, but I probably end up getting abyssal scepter (moar magic resist) a lot of the time.

Especially with the nerfed atma's, I wouldn't imagine atma's scaling (you don't need the crits either) would be as nice as AP scaling. Rylais can be nice for HP and extra slow on top of gunblade. I was actually considering randuins last night, but I don't usually find myself needing that much armor. I was also considering banshee's since the spellshield during ult sounds like a good idea, but of course the mana part of catalyst is totally wasted.

Pricey items are not as big of a deal on kat as for other champions, since I tend to go something like 8/2 or 16/4 if I'm doing well in games, and probably end up the #1 or #2 person for gold on my team.

I've built mejais a couple of times, but at terrible elo I've had a lot of success with the above strategy, gaining maybe 230 elo so far. Could be that I've reached my peak though, and I assume I will start getting completely countered at some point, but I still also don't feel like I have reached my maximum potential playing her. :)

Side note, I think the main guide I was following mentioned tank masteries (9/21/0 or whatever) as possibly being good on her, but I haven't tried that yet.

Boken

Banned
Ferrio (9:18): they should have a menu so you could spec like elo 500 games
Ferrio (9:18): that'd be a hoot
YLA Rex (9:18): there use to be a streamer who streamed 500elo games
soda cop (9:18): add summons
soda cop (9:18): to your friends list

Fun in GAFchat
IceCOLD

Oh hi blizz whatsup

Nm, just starting shit

Blizzard

Banned
Fun in GAFchat
IceCOLD

Oh hi blizz whatsup

Nm, just starting shit
Haha, feel free!

I get nervous when people watch and I can't perform though! Actually I don't mind people watching as long as they don't send PM's while I'm ingame. That's super distracting.

And to be fair, I only got down to like 690 elo before I decided to unlock kat and try learning her. Soooo much over 500 elo! Now I'm like 917 (66% win rate or something, but I probably did really badly the first few games with her).

OddOne streaming explaining about how looking at the number of wards on the enemy Soraka and seeing only 2 means he must have walked over a ward while counter jungling their blue and therefore he needs to run to his red immediately because the enemy jungler will respond by counter jungling there. He goes there, the enemy jungler is there, they get first blood.

Such a good stream for learning how high level junglers think.

Blizzard

Banned
OddOne streaming explaining about how looking at the number of wards on the enemy Soraka and seeing only 2 means he must have walked over a ward while counter jungling their blue and therefore he needs to run to his red immediately because the enemy jungler will respond by counter jungling there. He goes there, the enemy jungler is there, they get first blood.

Such a good stream for learning how high level junglers think.
I guess I didn't realize you could count stacked items on the other team. I thought if you looked at the scoreboard it would just show you the icon, not the item count.

inky

I guess I didn't realize you could count stacked items on the other team. I thought if you looked at the scoreboard it would just show you the icon, not the item count.

You have to click on them.

Edit: I mean when you click on an enemy you can see their inventory, including number of items. In the early game it is good to see if you have an advantage on health pots so you can be more aggressive or in this case to see if they've been dropping wards.

Big IP banking.
AcZfe.jpg

Nerf Mundo harder next time Riot.
Seriously though the nerfs kind of hurt his early game.

They didn't build the new morello's, that's the biggest Mundo nerf in the new patch.

John

So I bought Lux and I want to play her as a support, but I can't find any decent or recent guides for a support build. Suggestions?

KevinRo

WOWWWWwwwww at the azubuu semifinal 5th game

MiG frost was down by 7k gold and was almost about to lose BUT THEY DIDN'T GIVE UP!

Just when xenic was about to finish off the nexus turrets with only 4 of MiG's members up(their shen got caught out of position), MiG comes back with a single sona ult. Their sona support carried the entire team in the end with perfect flash ults to initiate 3 fights in a row. I am shocked at that comeback. It looked as if MiG had no chance, they were being pushed around all game, losing all the early dragons and the first baron.

All 5 games were just so intense to watch. GG korean teams. Really hope MiG frost and blaze are able to participate in major tournaments in the future. It's been unreal watching them play.

Why can't the korean teams compete in major tournaments? I just started following the competitive aspect of LoL.

Boken

Banned
At first I thought that idea was amazing. But then I realised I'd just leave spectator running while I did other stuff to gain IP.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I bought Lux and I want to play her as a support, but I can't find any decent or recent guides for a support build. Suggestions?

Basically what blood said, buy GP5, wards, gg.

I kinda want to try support morgana out, I heard it fell out of style but it seems kinda fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Regrowth Pendant + Pot or Meki pendant + 2 pots.

Build Philo stone then go typical AP from there.

I like RoA but Deathfire is also good on her. She benefits a lot from CDR.

More lazars.

Hauk

Neo Member
Oh and here's an idea: IP for watching your friends' games!

High five, Harrison! IP for afking :3

Just bought Irelia cause I seem to hate her every time she's on the opposing team. From my two games her ulti seems weak and hard to control when you're supposed to be maneuvering in the midst of a battle, but I do like her stun based on hp and true damage. But definitely feels like a long road of practicing is ahead to be actually good with her. Also I'm a bit lost with item builds for her, even after guides I read through.

Ken

Just bought Irelia cause I seem to hate her every time she's on the opposing team. From my two games her ulti seems weak and hard to control when you're supposed to be maneuvering in the midst of a battle, but I do like her stun based on hp and true damage. But definitely feels like a long road of practicing is ahead to be actually good with her. Also I'm a bit lost with item builds for her, even after guides I read through.

I use her ult to finish off runners or if I'm in a 1v1 for the bit of extra heal. I don't rely on it for damage.

garath

Tanky dps.

tanky dps is pretty typical for bruisers - Phage, Wit's end then depending on opposing team you can build into a frozen mallet or Trinity force and an atma/warmog/Force of Nature/etc.

When I was playing Irelia a lot I would almost always start Phage and Wit's end then build to complement my team from there. It usually ended up more tanky.

Her ult is either for getting that last bit of damage on a runner or clearing minion waves. It does proc trinity force so that's something at least. You can also throw it backwards while you are running if you are desperate to live.

Hauk

Neo Member
I use her ult to finish off runners or if I'm in a 1v1 for the bit of extra heal. I don't rely on it for damage.

Yea I figured that's the only use for it. Totally worthless to spam it on full health enemies. But even in 1v1 you need to use other spells too, and at the same time while selecting the target for ie. stun, your cursor throws the ult blades all over the place. Really confusing ability in that sense.

Achtius

Yea I figured that's the only use for it. Totally worthless to spam it on full health enemies. But even in 1v1 you need to use other spells too, and at the same time while selecting the target for ie. stun, your cursor throws the ult blades all over the place. Really confusing ability in that sense.

if you are 1v1 at solo top, you use your ult to heal yourself by hitting the enemy and the minion wave.

Ferrio

Banned

She's not a really good support imo. But if you were going to, just the usual support builds except you'll want to pick up a Kage's Lucky pick in addition to the normal gp5 items and turn it into a morellos late game.

If you pick lux support you're basically aiming for a kill lane.

elazullizard

Neo Member
Finally got a perfect game in awhile. Feels pretty good. I also was able to prevent my corki from having any deaths as well. Only problem is that I've been having so many mini-dc's from this patch (hence the previous leave).

Somax

The spectator mode is unsettling, expecially when someone on teamspeak joins the channel, starts to watch your game and comments on the team performance.
At least I won both ranked games tonight, so there's nothing bad to say! (even if my performance with Jarvan IV after months of using other junglers wasn't very good :D )

The spectator mode is unsettling, expecially when someone on teamspeak joins the channel, starts to watch your game and comments on the team performance.
At least I won both ranked games tonight, so there's nothing bad to say! (even if my performance with Jarvan IV after months of using other junglers wasn't very good :D )

Yeah ha I had a friend watching me earlier and I had got Ashe arrowed from across the map and their whole team just pounded me while i was 4-0, then like 4 minutes later my friend goes "that Ashe arrow." I just started laughing.

Shouta

I had a game with a guy playing Brand last night where he got 30 freaking kills out of our team's kills. I was the next highest at 11. That molten bastard piques my interest, lol.

She's not a really good support imo. But if you were going to, just the usual support builds except you'll want to pick up a Kage's Lucky pick in addition to the normal gp5 items and turn it into a morellos late game.

If you pick lux support you're basically aiming for a kill lane.

She's not even a good kill lane, and I love Lux.

She's a bursty AP mid for team comps that benefit her utility in team fights and have good sustained damage.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Need some advice from GAF pros.

Alright, situation is mid-game. We just ace their team losing 1 man, they have just 1 outer turret on each side of their base. I say "We should go get Baron and then push." My friends say "We need to push 2 towers and maybe get the inhibitor then Baron."

Who is right in this situation? I understand that getting an inhibitor is a big deal and will force them in base. But a guaranteed Baron will help our next push right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I usually don't take dom mode seriously, but I love how my team gets mad at me for dying when I'm the only person top node for 50% of the game. :|

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Alright, situation is mid-game. We just ace their team losing 1 man, they have just 1 outer turret on each side of their base. I say "We should go get Baron and then push." My friends say "We need to push 2 towers and maybe get the inhibitor then Baron."

Who is right in this situation? I understand that getting an inhibitor is a big deal and will force them in base. But a guaranteed Baron will help our next push right?
If you are easily winning team fights like that you should push towers and use Baron to force another fight if they try and stop you after you finish pushing.

Blizzard

Banned
I was just watching directed camera mode, and while it works well for some things, it seemed to ignore low HP champions who are actively in battle. On the minimap I could see someone being dived at the top turret, but I had to manually switch up. At a different point in time, the mid lane person was retreating in lane, got killed by the side lane person, but the directed camera had jumped and stayed on a jungler going up the river towards top by himself.

XeroSauce

You push if you can contest Baron when they are up again, aka, you can force AND WIN a team fight in top river.

You Baron, when you are losing or the teams are even, and then use Baron to push as far as you can, general rule of thumb is leave after 10 seconds of their first guy spawning, otherwise your team gets too greedy trying to finish off a tower etc. and you end up losing the Baron buff.

inky

I had a game with a guy playing Brand last night where he got 30 freaking kills out of our team's kills. I was the next highest at 11. That molten bastard piques my interest, lol.

I love his burst damage, and landing his stun is very satisfying. I'm happy when he's back on rotation.

I just watched Kiunch's Swain game.

Poor guy. His Tristana was doing fine until she decided to randomly jump in every so often. It went downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom