• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I really really really really dislike Varus' passive. It represents everything wrong with Riot champ design, by taking yet another preexisting mechanic (Vayne, Jax, and Kennen to a lesser extent) and then tweaking it around a little and throwing it on a new hero. Oh, and percentage based damage. I mean, come the fuck on, if heroes are too tanky then make them less tanky.

I hope the next champion has 5 auto-attack passives that trigger on different auto-attack numbers and all have different effects.

And the champ doesn't do flat damage, but %max health damage.

wow varus is almost exactly like windrunner from dota. i didn't think they would still copy champions three years after the release.

Haly

Not at all.

In fact, Varus is not even a half of the hero Windrunner is. The charge shot is the only thing that's similar.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not at all.

In fact, Varus is not even a half of the hero Windrunner is. The charge shot is the only thing that's similar.
It's hard to compete with a champion as OP as Windrunner. Probably going to wait for Varus free week. Kind of don't feel the need to buy a new AD carry right now.

Haly

I'm actually somewhat interested in Varus because the current pool of AD carries bore me to death.

dimb

Varus would be a lot cooler without the crummy AOE slow. It sucked on Miss Fortune and it sucks here.

Boken

Banned
I really really really really dislike Varus' passive. It represents everything wrong with Riot champ design, by taking yet another preexisting mechanic (Vayne, Jax, and Kennen to a lesser extent) and then tweaking it around a little and throwing it on a new hero. Oh, and percentage based damage. I mean, come the fuck on, if heroes are too tanky then make them less tanky.
You mean his on hit effect? Because his passive is like the old kayle passive and nobody has that anymore. The on hit damage is pretty lame I admit, but I think it's just a way to make the damage stacking debuff skill more valuable early game.

Varrus has two new things - his charge skill shot and the "ignite a debuff" mechanic. Sure it sounds a little like Vayne, but having to pop 3 charges manually with skills each time will make him feel very different. What I would've preffered is that his "ignite a debuff" mechanic be a larger % of his damage, that way people will be forced to maximise it. (Right now bad players can get away with treating Varrus purely as an auto attacker) e.g. lower his auto attack scaling but buff the damage from popping the stacks. This way the mechanic is more important and meaningful... and also this way, Varrus MUST be played differently to a normal AD carry.

Riot is aware of this though, that's why he has % based damage - it's to keep his "ignite the debuff" mechanic relevant throughout the game - otherwise all he could do late game is auto attacking.

Also, once the AD caster item comes out, Varrus will be pretty strong.

Well they can't all be winners.

Especially when they only stick to preexisting skills.
Pre-existing skills are ok (just ok) - you can change skill sets and tweak them to make a new champion play in an interesting way. [E.g. if Varrus had crappier auto attack scaling and more % based damage on his debuff, you'd have to watch the debuffs carefully to play him properly]

Haly

Varrus has two new things - his charge skill shot and the "ignite a debuff" mechanic. Sure it sounds a little like Vayne, but having to pop 3 charges manually with skills each time will make him feel very different. What I would've preffered is that his "ignite a debuff" mechanic be a larger % of his damage, that way people will be forced to maximise it. (Right now bad players can get away with treating Varrus purely as an auto attacker) e.g. lower his auto attack scaling but buff the damage from popping the stacks. This way the mechanic is more important and meaningful... and also this way, Varrus MUST be played differently to a normal AD carry.
The ignite a debuff is not actually new, it's just a different take on the "trigger depending on debuff" used by Kennan, Anivia, and LeBlanc.

And I agree on the other points but I think they learned their lesson with Ezreal, which is that if an AD carry's damage doesn't come primarily from auto attacking, people won't play them.

dimb

The ignite a debuff is not actually new, it's just a different take on the "trigger depending on debuff" used by Kennan, Anivia, and LeBlanc.
I think it's different from what those champions have. But really it's Twitch but more balanced.

bjaelke

Rumored Evelynn rework:
Determined Killer do not get any changes.

Hate Spike got its rework.

New content about this skill:

Use Hate Spike to make the target. Next attack would trigger the mark which cause twice damage.

Cost 12/15/18/21/24 Mana

CD 8/7/6/5/4

Range 300

Shadow Walk got fixed

cost 60/60/60/60/60 Mana

CD 12/11/10/9/8

Evelynn fades away, becoming stealthed for 10/20/30/40/50 seconds. and got 25% movement speed which last 3 seconds. Also when she become stealthed, she can not found by ward except when she goes into the range of 300 yard of enemy place.

Ravage is changed in to the Ult.

Malice and Spite get deleted.

New skill:

Passive: Each attack would plus venom damage and last 3 seconds. All result in 80/100/120/140/160 mana damage.
Active: Obtain the attack speed 35%/40%/50%55%/60% and last 3 seconds.
Cost 50/50/50/50/50 mana
CD 12/11/10/9/8
I'm a bit skeptical. Riot has already defined mana burning abilities as being an anti-fun mechanism.

Haly

I'm going to go with fake if only for the mana damage.

There was a reason it was removed from Wit's End.

Boken

Banned
I have to admit, the "igniting a debuff" mechanic is pretty close to Leblanc's Q [but not Anivia or Kennen because they don't consume, nor are theirs proccable by different skills, same reason for Twitch] but I think it's very important to the mechanic that the debuff itself doesn't do damage and is easily applied (because this way you lose DPS by not igniting it). Leblanc's Q doesn't have damage maximisation considerations.

Haly

Does, since you lose 25-30% of the damage as its utility by not triggering it.

Boken

Banned
Oh, what I meant is that all you do is blow up Leblancs Q - when you blow it up doesn't change how much damage you will do, as long as it is within the debuff timeframe.

For "igniting a debuff" to be meaningfull, it has to force you to watch the debuff.

Seeing the difference between the Varus model and animations and Katarina is pretty amazing.

Haly

Ah I see.

And yeah Katarina needs an upgrade. Especially for her hair.

Boken

Banned
In fact, I think I'd prefer it if Varus' debuff stacks did NOT scale linearly (but move the max stacks up to 4 or something.). This way you'll be punished for igniting 1 or 2 stacks as well! MUAHAHA. Maybe I like requiring players to play precisely too much.

This way though, when Varus trades with a champion, they can decide to back out before he reaches max stack damage. Giving players more choice is always good.

Haly

Sounds like Anti-Fun to me.

The player shouldn't be expected to learn about what their champion does in order to play it. They should just hit a button to make things happen. Over and over again.

Wrekt

I know you are on a Kat run, Blizzard, but I thought you might still enjoy this.

http://mutepaints.blogspot.com/2012/05/redeemed-riven-paper-template.html

IMG_2266.png

edit: Oh shit sorry blocked stats, can't recover, but me and Heim had the best KDA ratios.

A trashtalker cost me a game. :(

N8rWT.jpg

Fight was a bit even except for a really bad Swain. How the fuck do you manage to get only 40 cs by 42 mins?

For the past 10 minutes Ahri was harassing Swain. We were trying to push their inhib tower but Heim got severely injured while everyone else was ~80% so we thought it'd be better to just retreat. We were already pulling back but SOMEHOW Ahri stopped moving back because she was too busy typing. WHOOPS. Malph ults into him. I and 2 others tried to save her but the rest of the enemies swarmed immediately and killed us. Gave them enough time to push to victory.

My Nasus games are cursed. :( I just bought him. I'm still 0/6. I do fine in all of them but there's always a problem. In fact, all my 3 Nasus games tonight had trashy teammates.

I farm my Q like mad. Is that farm above alright? Let's say maybe 90% of my CS is usually done by Q.

Oh and I loved trolling Tryn. DAT WITHER

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright LoL-GAF... I had 10k + IP sitting there and just made my mind up over the weekend.

Basically I just bought Varus with my IP as I haven't bought a release day champ in like forever. I got him this morning before I left the house while I was having my morning cup of coffee, but I won't get to play him till later tonight.

I'll post impressions later if anyone cares. :p

PS: Count me into the camp that thought after seeing the champ spotlight that he'd be $$$ with those supposed new AD Caster Items. Does anyone have any info on if those are real and when they might be coming though!?!?!

Ken

Alright LoL-GAF... I had 10k + IP sitting there and just made my mind up over the weekend.

Basically I just bought Varus with my IP as I haven't bought a release day champ in like forever. I got him this morning before I left the house while I was having my morning cup of coffee, but I won't get to play him till later tonight.

I'll post impressions later if anyone cares. :p

PS: Count me into the camp that thought after seeing the champ spotlight that he'd be $$$ with those supposed new AD Caster Items. Does anyone have any info on if those are real and when they might be coming though!?!?!

Didn't know he was already out. Guess I'll pick him up too.

First impression: His walking animation makes him look weird/sluggish.

Blizzard

Banned
My Nasus games are cursed. :( I just bought him. I'm still 0/6. I do fine in all of them but there's always a problem. In fact, all my 3 Nasus games tonight had trashy teammates.

I farm my Q like mad. Is that farm above alright? Let's say maybe 90% of my CS is usually done by Q.
I had similar experiences. The problem is that just holding and farming top lane isn't enough, unless you're at high ELO or something. If your team is good, you can come into play after 25-30 minutes and do great, tipping the balance in the team's favor. If your team is feeding a lot by 5-15 minutes, I don't feel like Nasus is going to carry them out of it at that point in time.

It's like playing solo/ranked support. You might be great, but you're at the mercy of the team.

If your team is feeding a lot by 5-15 minutes, I don't feel like Nasus is going to carry them out of it at that point in time.
Yeah, this actually happened to me last night. Score was somehow 1-10 before the 15 minute mark. I was solo top and the duo bottom was dying like mad. I think my Q already had like 400+ bonus damage from minion kills by around 20-25 mins but it just wasn't enough. Enemy team was fed to the point that I still quickly die even with tank items.

That's one reason why I never play 0cs support unless it's with a friend. I don't trust strangers to do well.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, this actually happened to me last night. Score was somehow 1-10 before the 15 minute mark. I was solo top and the duo bottom was dying like mad. I think my Q already had like 400+ bonus damage from minion kills by around 20-25 mins but it just wasn't enough. Enemy team was fed to the point that I still quickly die even with tank items.

That's one reason why I never play 0cs support unless it's with a friend. I don't trust strangers to do well.
I had the same situation happen when I added someone from a ranked game...okay, these people are a duo queue, okay they say they like 3v3. I don't like 3v3 that much but sure I'll join your ranked team and try a game.

Katarina top will work you say? Okay sure. You two are duo bot, you were already on the team, I assume you know what you're doing. You're using Skype? Okay, I'll pass, but it sounds like you'll be coordinated then. One of them then was like, they didn't know how to play rammus, and their duo bot lane was I think either 3-14 or 3-16 combined by the end of the game, while I was 7-1 or 7-2 top lane. How do you even GET 16 deaths that quickly, lol. (they defriended me and removed me from the team after that game)

John

this works for me, because as a frequent 0cs support player i don't trust myself to do well

Vanillalite

It's why I play DOM so much at least lately. I really like playing support, and I just can't get myself to solo que. I got a buddy I've been playing with lately. So I'll play ranked if he's on, but if not usually I just play Dom solo. Sometimes I'll play Normal to work on certain things, but not that often. When I duo que we usually go support + ad unless my buddy jungles. Even then at least I know he'll come gank if I express we have issues.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
God damn Leona is fun to play.

It's so much fun to dash into an unsuspecting carry and just watching him get wrecked while stun locked.

JesseZao

Sheen is pretty much the core item for Nasus. I don't really play Nasus anymore unless I'm last pick or know what their top is, but I think philo/hog/sheen wouldn't be a bad early/mid goal. I usually make trinity force and then build armor and MR according to needs.

Ferrio

Banned
AKITUS U GONNA PLAY DIABLO?

Good point.

We need a LoL Diablo group. Just so we can continue bitching about each others builds, and others failures.

"Why are you using hydra runes with witch doctor, that's retarded!"
"You watched me die to that zombie while you were looting!"
"NO Barbarian sucks for this act, use a different class!"

Achtius

Good point.

We need a LoL Diablo group. Just so we can continue bitching about each others builds, and others failures.

"Why are you using hydra runes with witch doctor, that's retarded!"
"You watched me die to that zombie while you were looting!"
"NO Barbarian sucks for this act, use a different class!"

FLASH ULT SONA.

AcridMeat

Banned
I found out how hard I have to carry for a win with dysfunctional team members.
1Fg7A.jpg

To put it plainly, no one pushed until the end. That Fiora was one of the worst teammates I've ever had.

Vanillalite

Outside of the normal Infinite + PD + Bloodthirster build for Varus what does everyone think about trying a hybrid build that scales off his W? Gunblade/RageBlade/Trinity?

dimb

Sheen is pretty much the core item for Nasus. I don't really play Nasus anymore unless I'm last pick or know what their top is, but I think philo/hog/sheen wouldn't be a bad early/mid goal. I usually make trinity force and then build armor and MR according to needs.
Top lane can be very unforgiving, particularly to Nasus. Unless you're having a super easy lane it isn't really feasible to be building gold per ten items. Your best bets are really early CDR items to help Q farm. Being able to build an early Glacial Shroud, for example, can really help out.

AcridMeat

Banned
Outside of the normal Infinite + PD + Bloodthirster build for Varus what does everyone think about trying a hybrid build that scales off his W? Gunblade/RageBlade/Trinity?
I was thinking of building a sheen/trinity on him. I've only played 1 1/2 games with him though. We had a guy sitting in base not afk so we had to surrender.

Inskipp

I was thinking of building a sheen/trinity on him. I've only played 1 1/2 games with him though. We had a guy sitting in base not afk so we had to surrender.
Can't really see trinity working on him, his cooldowns are too long to utilize the procs efficiently.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah, I didn't see his ratios. Oh well, I'm happy to have another carry to play besides Kog.

I have others, but Kog is my favorite of them.

Somax

3 games, 3 wins.
Sometimes, the perfect LoL evening happens...

First game, I was Cho'gath top against Yorick because yaddayaddacounter and, thanks to some good lane synergies and an excellent performance of our first-time-picked-after-buying Varus, won hard.

Second game, had one of the first picks and picked Yorick. The enemy team picks Cho'gath and I'm expecting to suffer like my opponent of the previous match. Nope, me and Mundo wrecked the fat zerg without problems. Bot lane was Miss Fortune (us) vs Varus (them), but our carry dominated the opponent. Good.

Third game was ranked, picked Malazhar against Anivia mid. Boring farming lane, with failed ganks from their Warwick and Anivia who hugged the tower like her favorite teddy bear. Then the game started getting more dynamic with roaming ganks everywhere, a couple of barons in our favor, the Varus on our team with TONS OF DAMAGE and a Nasus who farmed his Q against Yorick for around 30 minutes, and had +430 damage on it.

Then there are evenings where everything goes pear shaped, and I have to struggle to avoid raging hard on Teamspeak... :D

JesseZao

Top lane can be very unforgiving, particularly to Nasus. Unless you're having a super easy lane it isn't really feasible to be building gold per ten items. Your best bets are really early CDR items to help Q farm. Being able to build an early Glacial Shroud, for example, can really help out.

Which is why I'm only going to play nasus when the odds are in my favor. If they want yorick, ill pick nasus. I don't have a problem with the Q cd generally since I'm maxing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom