• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: AMD Ryzen 9950X wrecks 7950X in cinebench

kikkis

That big improvement on same process node kind of sounds like they have fed us shit for years deliberately.

Edir. It might be newer node but still

Last edited:

simpatico

My 7800x3D kicks ass, but I will say that the fans spin up the moment I move my mouse. File Explorer makes more noise than a full game under load with my old CPU (6700k).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
ryzen.png

Deft Beck

I always wait to upgrade my CPU until I can double the Passmark score on my old CPU. Right now, the 7950x/7950x3D fit that mark. But, if this really outperforms it...I may have to wait for it.

Reactions: GHG

Buggy Loop

I was asking this the other day on reddit

At this point. why would anyone not wait for x3D variants? Imagine 9800x3D

diffusionx

Gold Member
I might build a Zen 5 (I'm an X3D-Chad) and 5xxx computer, depending on my lot in life when they come out

Last edited:
Slight exaggeration, but downloading Steam games does get me to 60c with audible fans. I think I’m just spoiled from the 6700k because I don’t think I ever heard the fans on it.
Could it be your SSD heating up? Gigabit internet combined withlightspeed NVME.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
what's the expected release date for the x3d variant? I dont need to upgrade but ILL BE DAMNED IF I LEFT YOU GUYS OUTDO ME!!!

HL3.exe

Sounds good. I'm more interested in the single threaded performance as that is way more relevant for games.

For those unaware: yes games are multi threaded these days, but the main game-logic thread is still single threaded because of determistic reasons (physics, ai, animation, systemic-simulation, needing to be interlinked and dependent on each other without fault). Multi threaded is for mostly offloading asynchronous non-game-logic stuff (visuals mostly). So single-threaded IPC are still incredibly important for actual performance gains within games.

Last edited:

SHA

9950x3D here I come!
Ready or not, here I come, you can't hide
Ready or not, here I come, you can't hide.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah something is wrong.

It's not. While downloading files, Steam decompresses a ton of data, because games are stored compressed in their servers to save space and bandwidth.
And if someone has a fast internet connection, it means the CPU will always have work to do, decompressing files.
And of course, a 7800X3D, has double the cores of a 6700K. Has higher clock speeds, higher TDP. So the CPU can heat up a bit during Steam downloads.
Still, 60ºC is nothing special for modern CPUs and no reason to worry about.

SHA

Can anyone who owns an amd zen rig tell the different issues between Intel and amd? Cause I'm hesitant to switch to amd.

Schmendrick

Damn I hope I gather enough savings by middle age to splurge on tech like this. There's hardly anything that really pushes the 4090/7950x3d outside bad ports etc.
If your GPU isn't sweating your monitor's resolution isn't high enough *laughs in 7680x2160

Last edited:
Top Bottom