• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Battlefield 4 Screenshots

sp3000

You can't really design a game around 2013 hardware if it's still working on 2005 hardware.

The original Crysis was designed for future end hardware in 2007 though. Crysis 2 was scaled down to run on consoles. There is a obvious downgrade in minimum requirements there. The same isn't true of BF3 to BF4.

Portugeezer

EA already confirmed that they're targeting 1080p/60fps for the next-gen versions.

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516274

Oh right, they don't mention BF4, that is down to what DICE want to do, but still good to hear. I was thinking of a recent 720p/60fps rumour (I would take that, resolution not a big factor for me)

Nice to see them waste time and money on a terrible single player campaign.

Could be good, could be bad, we don't know. I know I'm more excited about multiplayer, I didn't even touch BF3 single player.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It's called "Construction 1P", so I assume it's out of the campaign.

oh, i'm not doubting that its a real gameplay shot, just unsure of it its misleading for the actual scale of missions. i don't expect those towers in the background to be a part of the actual level design, but even the structure ahead is quite a ways off and the approach to it seems completely open. most games don't offer such freedom and i'm super excited if bf4 does.

never played bf3, so apologies if it offered the same sense of openness

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The second screen looks fantastic, but these are clearly bullshots or even artwork.

+

Just a thought... (don't flame)...

PC as far as I know hasn't dramatically jumped in performance since bf3 was released, so why would the devs make a game look 1000x better than bf3 considering the average specs of pc gamers rigs haven't changed that much if at all (majority?) People still struggle running bf3. I can't imagine a visually superior bf4 would do. The market is pretty low for that.

You guys are expecting too much. It's not going to happen. Bf4 will look only slightly better + some more effects. It hasn't even been two years.
The games push the hardware on the PC. It doesn't work the other way around, which is why average mid range performance didn't improve much over the last 3 or so years.

Even then, we've seen better looking tech demos on current PC tech.

i1tCFMY53y6ul.jpg

The grass looks awful, Dice can't into grass technology.

The second screen looks fantastic, but these are clearly bullshots or even artwork.

+

Just a thought... (don't flame)...

PC as far as I know hasn't dramatically jumped in performance since bf3 was released, so why would the devs make a game look 1000x better than bf3 considering the average specs of pc gamers rigs haven't changed that much if at all (majority?) People still struggle running bf3.

I don't know about the "average" gaming PCs specs but BF3 is really not that demanding anymore, even $150-$170 cards can max the game with 4XAA and all the stuff and still keeps 30 fps+:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_ti_boost_review,15.html

markot

Banned
I do love how games often brought out as the standard for 'realism' in games never look realistic in the slightest. Nice to see at least that 'tone it down' will still be unheard of 'next gen'.

And the sp wont be good. Its like expecting a Michael bay movie to buck the trend of Michael bay movies.

Portugeezer

I have no idea what your intent is with this image. I'm sure that ArmA III will outclass Battlefield 4 as a military shooter without even trying, and its mod community will polish and expand on the game..

Did you post that because it looks more captivating aesthetically?

It looked great, but I'm just playing around.

I don't really care about BF4 graphics, I play with Medium settings on PC and think even if they get it looking like that I would be happy, as long as I can use controller on PS4 I'm good (not good with the KB part of KB/M)

Seeing as this is single player, I hope the video shows off some really fucking good next gen AI, don't want a "omg huge level, omg look at teh explosions, and the soldiers are people with emotions look at this cutscene"...

Arnie

I hope for 1080p on PS4,it's the only thing really standing out in the screens.

Talk from the leak was 720p, but 60fps. I'd be happy with that, considering the scale, with all the vehicles, destruction, and 64 players. And considering the game's a launch title, or at least in the launch window.

It's a phenomenal achievement if they pull it off. 360 launched with COD2, just compare that to BF4.

I need to see it in action first, I have to see gameplay innovations. I am sorry to say this but those who say the game doesn't look good, I am not sure what they were expecting.

artist

Banned
No it isn't. Not even remotely the same. Crysis 1 was a PC exclusive. Crysis 2 was scaled down from that to fit on consoles made in 2005.

BF4 is being made for 2013 consoles, while BF3 was made for 2005 consoles.
I was about to type out a long response with more screenshots and examples but Nirolak's post is to the point;
BF4 is definitely still coming to 2005 consoles.

Norml

Talk from the leak was 720p, but 60fps. I'd be happy with that, considering the scale, with all the vehicles, destruction, and 64 players. And considering the game's a launch title, or at least in the launch window.

It's a phenomenal achievement if they pull it off. 360 launched with COD2, just compare that to BF4.

I would hope for 1280x1080 at the lowest :/

Reiko

Banned

Even more so with COD2 launching in 1280x720.

Majanew

Banned
Looks good. I'll wait til I see it in motion and how much different it looks - including the destruction - before saying how it looks compared to BF3.

AngryBird

Banned
Not sure why I was expecting a bigger leap in graphics, but I am underwhelmed.

BF3 for pc was released not even 2 years ago and people expect huge leap in graphics...

Do you want Dice to pull a Crysis....? (made for future hardware) That's the only way I think it will satisfy people's expectations.

The graphics look very off to me. In the first and second pic the faces look like they have large amounts of vaseline on them. Now the third pic is pretty good.

What make you think so? If a standalone 7850 can run BF3 with 4xMSAA at 1080p/35-40fps I'm pretty sure that next gen consoles will manage 60 fps just fine with FXAA/No AA.

But that is 1200p 4xMSAA not 1080p 4xMSAA.

Looks nice. I'm guessing thats the single player since they're all pretty unique looking characters.

Not terribly impressed I suppose since it mostly looks like BF3 maxed out and not some huge leap. The lighting seems a bit better and I'm sure there will be particle effects all over the place, judging by the flames in the 1st shot. But judging by the first shot, that guy's hair looks pretty average.

Probably be more telling to see it in motion.

Grass via transparencies generally does look terrible. With actual geometry, you can get something like the grass in Crysis 3.

...which stills looks terrible. I know it has some nice physic effects, but I don't think it looks good, needs more diversity, it looks all the same.

Reiko

Banned
Gemüsepizza;51605214 said:
...which stills looks terrible. I know it has some nice physic effects, but I don't think it looks good, needs more diversity, it looks all the same.

Probably saving those effects for something else. Like destruction.

Dacon

Banned
It's always entertaining to see the kind of buzz a handful of screens can generate.

Personally it looks good enough for me, I just want performance and gameplay improvements. Bf4 doesn't need to look better than Crysis 3 for me.

Ryoku

That's how Rare did Kameo's grass.

I should have put more emphasis on "generally". When you have a small, 2D patch of grass as a single transparency, it's probably going to look like shit when multiplied by a large number to make up the field (a la Skyrim grass, etc.). Kameo, IIRC, just had larger transparencies very close together (the way they sway is a dead giveaway).

Watch Dogs is being downported. Ths is being upported most likely.

Well... Watch Dogs is being developed for next-gen consoles. Work on PS360 hasn't started yet, and when it does it will be offloaded to another team.

I'm just saying that DICE has chosen not to take the WD route. They already have a version of the engine running on the PS3/360, and I don't[ think that anyone expects those versions of BF4 to look any different than BF3. So why not go all out for the next-gen versions?

Top Bottom