• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked footage of canceled DOOM reboot surfaced

jem0208

I feel like I'm the only one who thought that looked pretty cool. Hardly doom but still pretty awesome. I love the gritty apocalyptic style.

That I also loved Doom 3. Even though it terrified the shit out of me.

Well that looked next to nothing like a Doom game. I think Hell On Earth would be great if they could do a modern version of it, but that was definitely not it.

How would Hell on Earth look then? Because how it looks in that shot of the portal opening up in the sky over the city is pretty much how I imagined it back in the 90s.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVygDd_BUNw
The Doom 3 menu theme. Give it time. It goes into the trailer bit at about 0.44.

skeptical.gif

lol whatever you guys say

It's not

Ixion

How would Hell on Earth look then? Because how it looks in that shot of the portal opening up in the sky over the city is pretty much how I imagined it back in the 90s.

I think Hell on Earth would work better if it was both set in the future and Hell began terraforming Earth to give it a more unique look. This version just looks like a present-day apocalypse with demons.

I think Hell on Earth would work better if it was both set in the future and Hell began terraforming Earth to give it a more unique look. This version just looks like a present-day apocalypse with demons.

So you see how two Doom fans have two different versions of how Hell on Earth would look? I'm sure lots of people had the same feelings about how Wolfenstein was updated from W3D (or even the 2D predecessors).

To me Doom can be many things. I don't mind seeing it expand the universe. I want to see the initial invasion on Earth. That very moment when the shit hits the fan. Doesn't mean one way is wrong. There can be both. Fortunately, games have the ability to produce sequels for this very reason.

ViolentP

I don't think it was that bad. I'm a sucker for a story and I like the idea of getting invested in the Doom universe.

Ixion

I want to see the initial invasion on Earth. That very moment when the shit hits the fan.

That would still be present in the idea I laid out, since the terraforming could happen over the course of the game, almost like the War of the Worlds film. Perhaps that even happened in the cancelled version, but we just haven't seen it.

I would just have the time period set further in the future, since hi-tech environments and weapons are part of the unique Doom aesthetic. We could still see the initial invasion, it would just happen in the year 2048 for example.

daveo42

Banned

Exactly. It looks far too much like a traditional urban setting that's been shelled to hell with demons coming out of a gate and seems pretty safe in terms of making the setting feel way more unique.

G-Fex

Doom 1 would have been militarized ass if smarter heads hadn't prevailed!

Cutscenes inspired by Alien, boxy brown and gray hallways based on real military bunkers because Carmack thought they were "more efficient" and "more realistic," it was all there in the earliest versions. Look what happened after Romero left. Quake 2 was a military action game starring gung-ho space marines following objectives, then Doom 3 was a game filled with gray corridors because it was more efficient for the engine.

glad things didn't end up that way. Or we'd never get the Chasm or Dead Simple

Agreed with some others here. I think if it didn't have the DOOM attached to it and got released as something seperate entirely, it might've been pretty fun. I would love Call of Duty to enter a Doom-like world mixed with Homefront.

kd-z

I'm not surprised, but still a little bit baffled by the reaction this kind of news often gets. Mind you, I have no nostalgia or attachment to Doom whatsoever, I'm just too young for it. So I kind of understand people who miss a game in a style they haven't had a chance to play in a long time.

On the other hand, I like there being more new games, not just more of the same. It's a bit like the people who responded to BioWare's cancellation of that co-op modern day thingie with "yeah, they better get back to making Mass Effect 4!" Yeah, let's have less new games and more old ones! Admittedly the situation here is quite different, it just reminded me of that.

An interesting thing is the idea to start a game as one thing and then reveal that it's actually something completely different. Like you guys've been saying: start it off as a CoD-like and then BAM, it's actually DOOM. I'm not sure that's at all possible with games these days due to how news, reviews, streaming, marketing and budgeting works, though. Would be rad, that's for sure!

gabbo

An interesting thing is the idea to start a game as one thing and then reveal that it's actually something completely different. Like you guys've been saying: start it off as a CoD-like and then BAM, it's actually DOOM. I'm not sure that's at all possible with games these days due to how news, reviews, streaming, marketing and budgeting works, though. Would be rad, that's for sure!

That would be an interesting take on the Doom story. Hell opens up, those people go to fight, bam lone survivor is Doom marine

Top Bottom