• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked footage of canceled DOOM reboot surfaced

CHC

Pretty glad they had the sense to can this. It would barely be relevant in like 2008, but now it is just so behind the times. The brown-grey colors, modern military gear, and red-dot-scope gun.... No good.

low-G

If you fought demons in a future Call of Duty, I'd be 100% cool with that.

But that is not Doom. This "doom" was going to be as the Tetris Captain N episode was to Tetris.

I'm under the impression that there has always been a struggle between John Carmack and the other developers when it came to game design. I think whenever John Carmack gets his way, he likes to keep excessive baggage out of his games as much as possible and boil things down to their most basic elements.

There were lots of stories about Tom Hall and John Romero wanting to make Doom a much more complex game than what it was. Tom Hall wrote a huge game bible for Doom outlining all sorts of features that never made it into the game. Mostly because his ideas were vetoed out by Carmack. Tom Hall left because he felt like his voice wasn't getting heard in the company. During the development of Quake, John Romero really wanted the game to be a medieval FPS RPG (you can see the medieval elements present in the design). But yet again his ideas were vetoed down in favor for another simplistic twitch fest FPS. This was also Romero's last game at id before he moved on to Ion Storm.

John Carmack considers Quake III to be absolute perfection and the best game that id Software has ever developed. Yet again, Quake III is Quake multiplayer deathmatch simplified down to its most basic core mechanics and refined heavily. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is an example of John Carmacks influence.

With Doom 3, I remember there were all sorts of rumors about Carmack at ends with the other developers over the direction of the game. At some point Carmack didn't even want there to be a use key in Doom 3 because he felt that it would have complicated the design and slowed down the pacing too much. I know Carmack also brought in the past that he was opposed to cut scenes as well. But in the end, I think he had to give up a lot of tight control over the game design and give the other developers what they wanted. With Rage, I get the feeling that Carmack really did just sit back and play the role of the tech guy, while the other developers had a lot more free reign over the design.

I'm probably wrong on some of these. But I think this is generally how it was.

Not true. Romero was with ID until the release of Quake. And while Doom started as a medieval RPG it was quickly realized within the team, that Carmacks engine was much better suited for a fast paced FPS. Romero was a driving force behind this change and loved what the game became, he also came up with the idea of the multiplayer in the game and pressured Carmack into creating a smooth network engine.

The split between Carmark and Romero came during the development of Quake were Romero was more focused on living the rockstar life he had after Doom and Doom II, than actually managing the team and working on the game. Carmack slowly took over as the defacto leader of ID and Romero was forced to quit after the release of Quake.

That's at least how it's presented in Masters of Doom, which I just read a week ago.

While I'm sure they'd have run into problems with "not my Doom" types, I'd actually really like to see something like this at some point. Throwing in supernatural elements would be a great way to shake up the military shooter dynamic.

Sciz

Eech. Would've put the franchise right back into dormancy for another decade.

The split between Carmark and Romero came during the development of Quake were Romero was more focused on living the rockstar life he had after Doom and Doom II, than actually managing the team and working on the game. Carmack slowly took over as the defacto leader of ID and Romero was forced to quit after the release of Quake.

The other issue with Quake's development was that the engine and its tools took much longer than expected to be functional, and most of the company didn't think they could move forward with the ambitious RPG idea and still make their ship date.

We'll never know what the final game would have been like, but going by what little footage is shown there, I don't like the direction they seemed to have been heading in.

I hope the reaction to this video gets more attention, so ID never even considers taking the modern military shooter route to Doom ever again.

This makes me even more excited for E3, and seeing what ID has in store for Doom now.

coinmaryhelen

Neo Member
Doom is at its best when it's fast-paced shooting against goofy as shit demons while legally-dubious heavy metal music plays. This looks like it completely missed the point without being an interesting change of pace like Doom 3.

Yeah. Doom is all about pacing (and though I agree with you about the goofy-as-shit demons, I'm not sure that's plausible in today's graphical standards). That's why I didn't care for Doom 3... just throw me into some fast-paced mazes with key cards please.

I thought people were exaggerating on the first page, but those images immediately invoke "Gears of KillDoom: Modern Battlefield".

I'm glad that the FPS genre has survived it's brief period of same-ism and branched out into multiple sub-genres. Open world, linear, weapon wheels, 2 gun limit, ADS, and run & shoot can co-exist, and projects that embrace what works best rather than "what someone thinks sells" have done well, like Wolfenstein. And I'm super excited for the no-ADS Battlefront.

dwells

Everyone's getting their panties in a bunch over 27 seconds of footage? Seriously?

They didn't even show off any of the demons or anything and it's just war-torn outdoor human environments. Of course it looks fairly generic.

Everyone's getting their panties in a bunch over 27 seconds of footage? Seriously?

They didn't even show off any of the demons or anything and it's just war-torn outdoor human environments. Of course it looks fairly generic.

I think the fact they showed Doom without any demons is why people got their panties in a bunch. They managed to show everything they needed to do in 5 seconds in the new trailer and people are going wild. They missed the mark on this old version.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
CALL

OF

SOLID

Lololololol.

I'm really surprised it got that far into development before being cancelled.

Honestly, there was so much speculation when Zenimax purchased id, but in hindsight, and after seeing what they've done with Wolfenstein, it seems like it was a very good thing.

Not true. Romero was with ID until the release of Quake. And while Doom started as a medieval RPG it was quickly realized within the team, that Carmacks engine was much better suited for a fast paced FPS. Romero was a driving force behind this change and loved what the game became, he also came up with the idea of the multiplayer in the game and pressured Carmack into creating a smooth network engine.

But that's exactly what I wrote :p

Doom wasn't really set to be an RPG though, but Tom Hall had plans to make it much more complex than what the final game was. Some of his Doom ideas ended up in Rise of the Triad.

It is true that Romero was completely behind the original Doom and is proud of the final outcome. He contributed so much to the games level design and even wrote a client that aided players by helping them connect to network matches via the phone lines. It also added text chat too and server lists (I think?). There is no denying that Romero treats Doom like it is his baby.

But it was Romero that wanted Quake 1 to have a lot of RPG elements in it and to expand the game beyond just being a simple FPS. I guess that never happened because of time frame and technical limitations.

I really need to read that book someday, but I forgot about this aspect. But I still feel like John Carmack tried to enforce a "keep it simple" philosophy to id's games once he started to dictate the company. Quake III is proof of that. But I also think there was opposition on this during the development of Doom 3. Which is why the game feels somewhat compromised in its design.

dwells

I think the fact they showed Doom without any demons is why people got their panties in a bunch. They managed to show everything they needed to do in 5 seconds in the new trailer and people are going wild. They missed the mark on this old version.
This wasn't a finished trailer or anything, though, it was just some leaked scraps. For all we know, this is just the setup for before everything literally goes to hell. There's that part that shows the object descending from a fiery smoke cloud - things were just getting started.

It's just ridiculous how everyone starts tossing out the "dudebro" and "OMG Call of Doody" labels at everything. Yes, we get it, Call of Duty is popular and mainstream and you're so much better than that by being counter-culture.

kuYuri

I'm SO happy that this isn't a game that actually exists. The music in that trailer alone is enough to make me want to die inside.

Dude... that's the music from E1M1 of the original Doom (remixed of course)...

That shit is iconic and immediately noticeable when I heard it.

This wasn't a finished trailer or anything, though, it was just some leaked scraps. For all we know, this is just the setup for before everything literally goes to hell. There's that part that shows the object descending from a fiery smoke cloud - things were just getting started.

It's just ridiculous how everyone starts tossing out the "dudebro" and "OMG Call of Doody" labels at everything. Yes, we get it, Call of Duty is popular and mainstream and you're so much better than that by being counter-culture.
I lot of insecurity and territorialism in here. The dudebro thing is just condescending and unnecessary.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely glad it was canned. There is some potentially interesting stuff to explore there but NOT as a Doom game. That's not at all what I want from Doom. We have too many scripted, cinematic shooters these days as it is and not nearly enough Doom style games (with large, complex map designs and exploration). I'm not sure if what they're working on now will deliver that but it sure seems like it has a better shot at delivering something closer than this ever was.

The art direction in the trailer is pretty unattractive as well. Nowhere near as nice as Rage, to be honest.

ooh haha i see why the first page is so upset, that does look pretty generic, even the music screams generic.
It's the theme song for Doom 3.

BigDug13

Fans of Doom want Doom. Doom 3 isn't even Doom. This isn't Doom. That's why the hate. It looks like a game trying to be something else. Just like Doom 3 was.

Fbh

Well thank god we never got this.
Looked like they were trying to turn it into "every modern shooter ever".

Also, I'm just going to asume that song isn't what they were planning on using and it was just added by whoever leaked this. Sounds like the Doom theme played by someone's son after his first guitar lesson

Fun fact: Tom Hall's Doom Bible (which planned for a way more story heavy game) had four playable characters, none of whom was a white American man. The closest thing to Doomguy would be an advisor for the first episode who would be killed once you finally met him.

Yup, some of those characters ended up in Rise of the Triad (or at least variations of them):

rise-of-the-triad_2.png

Which is the game that Tom Hall ended up directing for Apogee after dropping out of id Software during the early stages of Doom's development. It is also funny to note that Rise of the Triad was originally planned as Wolfenstein 3D Part 2: Rise of the Triad.

origtitle.gif

Tom Hall was also the reason why Prey has a Native American protagonist. He wrote the original design documents for Prey as well, including the main character and story outline.

VariantX

Glad someone had the sense to say let doom be fucking doom. Guns, demons, portals to hell, explosions and blood. That's all you need.

BigDug13

Glad someone had the sense to say let doom be fucking doom. Guns, demons, portals to hell, explosions and blood. That's all you need.

And fast paced with lots of open areas with a ton of enemies. Not dark, confined, with up to 3 enemies at a time. (Doom 3)

Fans of Doom want Doom. Doom 3 isn't even Doom. This isn't Doom. That's why the hate. It looks like a game trying to be something else. Just like Doom 3 was.
I'm a huge Doom fan and I completely disagree with you. We have two precisely brilliant Doom games and two very fun sequels (3 and RoE). Well, I also count 64 as it's part of the original series. I'm always open to new things, especially a modern take on the Hell on Earth saga. I think people forget that Doom does come to earth in urban environments. There's a lot of potential there.

And fast paced with lots of open areas with a ton of enemies. Not dark, confined, with up to 3 enemies at a time. (Doom 3)
You don't have a good understanding of the Doom design if you think it's all about open areas. It's about variety. A majority of the Doom 1, 2, ML and FD levels are not in fact in big open areas. The "open" areas aren't so open. Plenty of small, medium and big rooms with hallways, tunnels, bridges, etc running around them. I don't think Doom is what you think it is.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well considering they didn't show a single demon, and that looked like a very early game cutscene.. can anyone here really say what the rest of the game was like?

I mean, a lot of people said Doom 3 wasn't Doom... it's like Doom can't be anything but a maze leveled FP-Shump.

Looked like an interesting premise, looked nothing like CoD.. but then again I loved Singularity.. and it gave me some of those vibes.

Finally watched the footage and all I can say is that I hope we do get levels like that on Earth. Seeing the demon portal open in the sky and Earth's forces getting prepared is pretty much how I imagined it when I was playing Doom 2 as a teenager. I'm not really sure how else you can depict the Hell on Earth levels without, I don't know, setting it on Earth. In some cities. With people shooting guns. There's a lot of misplaced bitterness here for a game series I would suspect many of you don't actively play.

That's at least how it's presented in Masters of Doom, which I just read a week ago.

Then later Carmack got really involved in armadillo aerospace working on X Prize stuff.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Well, the music in the trailer was the same as the main menu in Doom 3

The music is the main theme to Doom 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHAqT0XOog8

So it was just place holder stuff.

Are the ears of both of you guys from an alternate universe? The Doom 3 theme is totally different.

On-topic, I wouldn't say this concept as a game is terrible - after all, we'll never get to see exactly how it plays - but I agree that this definitely is not a Doom game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Finally watched the footage and all I can say is that I hope we do get levels like that on Earth. Seeing the demon portal open in the sky and Earth's forces getting prepared is pretty much how I imagined it when I was playing Doom 2 as a teenager. I'm not really sure how else you can depict the Hell on Earth levels without, I don't know, setting it on Earth. In some cities. With people shooting guns. There's a lot of misplaced bitterness here for a game series I would suspect many of you don't actively play.

definitely not Doom. is it also possible that a generic proof of concept was made and someone decided to slap the Doom name to it?

Yeah, I'm curious.. what exactly is "Doom".

You want it to go the Serious Sam route?

I mean Wolfenstein wasn't Wolfenstein anymore either... didn't see it get piled on for using modern graphics.

daveo42

Banned
Well that looked next to nothing like a Doom game. I think Hell On Earth would be great if they could do a modern version of it, but that was definitely not it.

Top Bottom