• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked footage of canceled DOOM reboot surfaced

jett

D-Member
I think most of that was CGI anyway. What could be gleaned as actual game footage looked completely different. Awful, anyway.

I'm still hoping footage of the new Doom will leak.

I think so.

Carmack is a terrific programmer and a gaming legend, but he made some rather questionable decisions over the years when it came to design, even if that wasn't his main job. But maybe he was hands-off from this, who knows.

He hated it, he reportedly stood up at a meeting about the game and said

"Doom is about two things, demons and shotguns"

Looks like he got his wish!

Alienous

It's amazing that this got as far as a CGI trailer.

He hated it, he reportedly stood up at a meeting about the game and said

"Doom is about two things, demons and shotguns"

Looks like he got his wish!

The teaser trailer makes a lot more sense to me now. It's exactly that.

Do modern art teams know that they have more colors they can use besides brown, grey, black, tan and yellow?

Thank God this was cancelled, the damn trend of "realistic" and "gritty" art styles needs to die a horrific death. It's fucking apalling.

Lookin' at you, Infinity Ward.

gabbo

That looks like it could be fun if properly put together, but it doesn't fit with Doom's lone space marine vs Hell. It's also more brown than Quake.
Whoever's idea of a joke putting that terrible attempt at the Doom theme in the background hit the nail on the head.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Do modern art teams know that they have more colors they can use besides brown, grey, black, tan and yellow?

Thank God this was cancelled, the damn trend of "realistic" and "gritty" art styles needs to die a horrific death. It's fucking apalling.

Lookin' at you, Infinity Ward.

But when they inject more color people cry downgrade and ask for mods to desaturate the image. Devs can't win.

Drencrom

So glad they scrapped this shit, looks like any other generic modern military shooter on the market...

Making a new game like Doom 1 & 2 is definitely the best way to differentiate them, there's no AAA shooters like those games nowadays.

watchdog

While I'm sure a ton of man hours were invested in this project I gotta agree with most people saying that they're glad we didn't get this version of DOOM. I still like the idea of Hell on Earth but not if it's just going to turn out like Call of Duty: Hell.

I honestly think I could have enjoyed this game, as long as they go a bit retro like Quake IV. Just market it as Terminator VS Hell, I'd buy it.

Doesn't look so good. Why don't just just make it like old Doom? Its looks like theyre again going too far with the realism in details and urban setting. Doesn't look like Doom, it looks like something very uninspired. I want corridors, with maybe some open levels sure, and I want mountains of monsters, over the top gore, not the stuff we saw in Doom 3. Maybe an art style between a next gen Rage and BorderLands,but with subtle cell shading.

eso76

Well, parts of that video looked interesting, though.
Parts looked technically quite amazing, others looked rather ugly so I don't know what to think.
I wouldn't mind if this was kept alive and be published with a different title.

Like...uh..Hellzone !

I would've still bought the ass out of that. When I was playing DOOM in 95, I imagined everyday that class would get canceled by a demon invasion. They'd be dropping through the ceiling, jumping through the windows. I can see elements of that in those screens. Hopefully we get some hell on earth in the DOOM reboot.

nikos

HmqQHQZ.png

This shot looked interesting to me. Looks like it had potential, and I would have welcomed some change. Hopefully we got something a bit different but still familiar feeling.

MiguelItUp

I'm so glad they didn't pull the trigger on this. The amount of flack they would've received probably would've been through the roof. I've always loved id as a kid, I want them to prevail and not fail. I can't get over the fact that this just sounded and looked like a cash in that worked in COD tropes. I understand keeping up with today's "FPS standards", but I don't think this would've been the right way.

Reminds me of the fucking jarring transition from Quake 1 to Quake 2.

Quake 2 is militarized ass game

Doom 1 would have been militarized ass if smarter heads hadn't prevailed!

Cutscenes inspired by Alien, boxy brown and gray hallways based on real military bunkers because Carmack thought they were "more efficient" and "more realistic," it was all there in the earliest versions. Look what happened after Romero left. Quake 2 was a military action game starring gung-ho space marines following objectives, then Doom 3 was a game filled with gray corridors because it was more efficient for the engine.

This shot looked interesting to me. Looks like it had potential, and I would have welcomed some change. Hopefully we got something a bit different but still familiar feeling.
That's the shot that stood out to me. A good representation of the Hell on Earth phase.

I think so.

Carmack is a terrific programmer and a gaming legend, but he made some rather questionable decisions over the years when it came to design, even if that wasn't his main job. But maybe he was hands-off from this, who knows.

I'm under the impression that there has always been a struggle between John Carmack and the other developers when it came to game design. I think whenever John Carmack gets his way, he likes to keep excessive baggage out of his games as much as possible and boil things down to their most basic elements.

There were lots of stories about Tom Hall and John Romero wanting to make Doom a much more complex game than what it was. Tom Hall wrote a huge game bible for Doom outlining all sorts of features that never made it into the game. Mostly because his ideas were vetoed out by Carmack. Tom Hall left because he felt like his voice wasn't getting heard in the company. During the development of Quake, John Romero really wanted the game to be a medieval FPS RPG (you can see the medieval elements present in the design). But yet again his ideas were vetoed down in favor for another simplistic twitch fest FPS. This was also Romero's last game at id before he moved on to Ion Storm.

John Carmack considers Quake III to be absolute perfection and the best game that id Software has ever developed. Yet again, Quake III is Quake multiplayer deathmatch simplified down to its most basic core mechanics and refined heavily. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is an example of John Carmacks influence.

With Doom 3, I remember there were all sorts of rumors about Carmack at ends with the other developers over the direction of the game. At some point Carmack didn't even want there to be a use key in Doom 3 because he felt that it would have complicated the design and slowed down the pacing too much. I know Carmack also brought in the past that he was opposed to cut scenes as well. But in the end, I think he had to give up a lot of tight control over the game design and give the other developers what they wanted. With Rage, I get the feeling that Carmack really did just sit back and play the role of the tech guy, while the other developers had a lot more free reign over the design.

I'm probably wrong on some of these. But I think this is generally how it was.

DocSeuss

I don't see the Killzone comparisons. Or the Call of Duty comparisons. Or any of that.

This imagery seems completely new.

They already made a hybrid of Half-Life, Bioshock and Doom. What a lovely game that was (is).

Exactly my point. I really liked both Singularity and Wolfenstein. They're very similar shooters, super interesting, and were held back primarily by Activision treating 'em poorly. But even then, they're both worth looking into.

I think so.

As I understand it, he and most of the higher-ups were working on Rage, not really paying attention to the junior team, and when they started looking at what had been done on Doom, they fired most people and rebooted it completely.

Looks like they were trying to remake Doom 2 Hell on Earth. I would not mind that specifically just not the best way to do that. Doesnt feel like Doom. I am enjoying the buzz around Dooms new arcadey like feel and focus more on faster gameplay than slower. Atmosphere is still important and i hope they keep that.

Sijil

Whomever made the decision to shit can this generic cowadoody clone deserves a medal.

Can't wait for the real Doom successor.

MiguelItUp

I would've still bought the ass out of that. When I was playing DOOM in 95, I imagined everyday that class would get canceled by a demon invasion. They'd be dropping through the ceiling, jumping through the windows. I can see elements of that in those screens. Hopefully we get some hell on earth in the DOOM reboot.
Yeah, I'm hoping the new game does really well, at least well enough to warrant a sequel. I'd love to see a proper Hell on Earth scenario. I did the same thing as a kiddo where I'd imagine Cacaodemons & Lost Souls flying through my neighborhood's streets.

Doesn't look so good. Why don't just just make it like old Doom? Its looks like theyre again going too far with the realism in details and urban setting. Doesn't look like Doom, it looks like something very uninspired. I want corridors, with maybe some open levels sure, and I want mountains of monsters, over the top gore, not the stuff we saw in Doom 3. Maybe an art style between a next gen Rage and BorderLands,but with subtle cell shading.
Doom inudes urban environments. In fact some of my favorite levels are the urban hell on earth levels. Hard as ass too.

Yeah, I'm hoping the new game does really well, at least well enough to warrant a sequel. I'd love to see a proper Hell on Earth scenario. I did the same thing as a kiddo where I'd imagine Cacaodemons & Lost Souls flying through my neighborhood's streets.
For me it was always the Pinky demons falling through the ceiling tiles and ripping everyone apart as I navigated my way to safety. How cool would it be to play the perspective of an untrained survivor during the demon invasion? Going through a neighborhood hiding out in houses. All set against a red dusky sky. Could be a cool add-on.

Demoskinos

Whoever made the call to ditch this version of the game. God bless you. The Military focused thing works for some franchises but god damn it Doom needs to be about shooting Cacodemons in the face with a double barrel shotgun.

Doom doesn't need a heavily involved narrative, story telling, and complex characters. We just want to use kick ass guns to shoot demonic monsters from hell, but without it being campy or with humor injected in.

Hopefully that's what we get at E3.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I feel bad for saying this considering that a bunch of hard-working artists and animators would have poured so many hours of work into this before it got cancelled and broke their hearts. But this is absolutely not Doom and it would have been a disaster had it been released.

I know this is not an officially released video, but it's clearly made with the intent of promoting the game. That said, who the hell would make a DOOM trailer and not have ANY kind of grotesque hellish abominations getting their guts blasted out of them?! I don't give a shit about a single human character in any of the Doom games, I just want to tear through levels and nuke demons with big meaty guns.

That's fucking telling that the recent teaser trailer, for how hilariously short it was, is more authentic to the Doom formula than anything shown here!

If DOOM can reinvigorate the franchise then I do want some more experiential games that don't stick too closely to the formula. I love the DOOM world so it stands to reason I want to experience it from different perspectives in different ways.

Top Bottom