• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Warcraft Movie stills

Houndi101

The orcs will very much be the bad guys. This is the demon blood fueled Horde, not the noble savage Horde.

More than any of the technology, what I find interesting about "Warcraft" as a movie is the notion that this is a big fantasy epic with no clearly delineated "bad guys" in it. Instead, because players in the games can pick roles on either side, it was important to Jones to make sure to give both sides an equal voice in this conflict. "The Horde can be the heroes," he said, grinning. "I think this is the appeal. As you may know, 'Warcraft' is a project that was in development for some time, and they just were not able to thread the needle and figure out what would make it work as a film and still be referential to the game. And when I came in, my first pitch was, 'Look, when you play the game, you play as the Horde or you play as the Alliance, but you are the hero. This film has to do that, or it's wrong. I know it's not all about the game, but that is what makes it unique as a fantasy universe. And as much as I love 'Lord Of The Rings,' and as much as Peter Jackson broke the path for fantasy films, those are movies where the cute guys are the good guys, and the bad guys are the ugly ones and the monsters. This is an opportunity to take that trope and flip it on its head and say, 'No, good guys are all over the place, and the bad guys? You have to work that out.' That's a more interesting version of that original fantasy idea."

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...-his-world-of-warcraft-unique-in-film-fantasy

Trickster

Humans are gonna looks so ducking dumb next to all the cgi orcs and whatever else they're gonna put into this movie.

This is set well before thrall leads the orcs to Kalimdor

Crossroads right now is probably grassy centaur lands

Dr.-Who.gif

Is this movie based off of the RTS or the RPG?

Also since I'm not really familiar with either, what role do these Orcs play in the story? I thought these games had human characters.

I never played WOW, but at least it feels like they attempted to make a good video game movie.

Instead of something that looked like it's heading straight to video and completed on a shoe string budget.

mjc

Is this movie based off of the RTS or the RPG?

Also since I'm not really familiar with either, what role do these Orcs play in the story? I thought these games had human characters.

The RTS, namely Warcraft 1. The first game deals with orcs fighting humans, and tells the story of how that came to pass. I won't post more to avoid spoilers for series virgins.

Loxley

For those of you who haven't seen this, Legendary released an interactive fly-through (on a Gryphin!) of Stormwind City on YouTube back during Comic-Con.

Warcraft: Skies of Azeroth

Watching it on a phone or tablet? Move it around and you can get a 360 degree view of the entire city. On a PC, click the video and move the mouse around, it's pretty fucking cool.

The more that comes out about this movie, the more hopeful I become that it'll end up being one of the first truly great video game movies. Duncan Jones has proven himself to not only be a great director, but also a genuine lover of games. Really excited to see the trailer in a few days.

I'll be there at the theater on release night. I kind of feel obligated to regardless of the quality of the movie, given the unbelievably positive impact WoW has made on my life.

Edit: Tip for anyone checking out that 360 degree Stormwind flyover on PC: you can use WASD to look around instead of your mouse.

For those of you who haven't seen this, Legendary released an interactive fly-through (on a Gryphin!) of Stormwind City on YouTube back during Comic-Con.

Warcraft: Skies of Azeroth

Watching it on a phone or tablet? Move it around and you can get a 360 degree view of the entire city. On a PC, click the video and move the mouse around, it's pretty fucking cool.

That was pretty awesome haha.

Thanks for the link!

studyguy

Those armors look super cheese in the style I was never fond of in Warcraft. Still, I'd hope this does well and moves the needle a bit for videogame films.

Holy shit that image of Stormwind.

Actually not a fan of the look of these shots, but they're leaked shots, so I'll withhold judgement of course.

Looks like they should have gone all CGI like the game's cutscenes or used more practical makeup because those Orcs clash with the live actors to my eye. I'm not saying it'll be a bad movie, just not digging the look of it in the state shown here. Hopefully it'll improve greatly before release.

Tacitus_

I see.

Anyway. There's snow in the teaser. That means either that the war lasts so long that the seasons change (unlikely, imo) or that the orcs push north either to Khaz'Modan or to Alterac, which the Horde did not do until WC2 and the Second War.

Iiinteresting.

Top Bottom