• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Josh7289

Just realized being able to see Death Mountain in the distance from the Castle Town is a nice touch. Makes sense for the 3D version.

Josh7289 said:
There are a few images here that I hadn't seen before: http://tinycartridge.com/post/4751478595/ocarina-of-time-3d-adds-boss-challenge-super

For example

YbBpJ.jpg

I hadn't realized it before, but building designs in Zelda games got pretty zany after Ocarina of Time, and now that's been transplanted back into OoT3D.

The oversaturation in a lot of these screens reminds me of the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess, though. It doesn't have to be that glowing... But the president of Grezzo's heritage is the Mana series, so I can't say I'm surprised.
oh god that pic is so good, I don't like the more cartoonish feel of the buildings but I'd be lying if I said it didn't look appealing. I'm glad they are doing new things with the environment.

Ysiadmihi said:
I think in most cases, the new version looks significantly better. The town square and shop interiors in particular look great and remind me of Majora's Mask.

...but that Temple of Time shot is just disgusting when compared to the original.

Yeah, has that Majora vibe.

At least they are actually "remaking" the game and it's not just a more colorful and clearer port with better animation.

It's really damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Fix too much, "it's not the same:("

Fix too little, "lazy effort:\"

StevieP

Banned
Josh7289 said:
I hadn't realized it before, but building designs in Zelda games got pretty zany after Ocarina of Time, and now that's been transplanted back into OoT3D.

The oversaturation in a lot of these screens reminds me of the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess, though. It doesn't have to be that glowing... But the president of Grezzo's heritage is the Mana series, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Do you guys remember the vibrant colour scheme for things pre-OOT? Or do I have to start posting screens?

GJS

radioheadrule83 said:
Slightly tweaked the saturation, and changed the water and it looks better... Grezzo, if you're reading, fix the water!

zOVRi.gif
I don't think it needs to be that dull, the grass and trees need a bit more colour and life.

The N64 OoT shot of the temple just looks so ugh and boring now that I've seen the game with more colour, I've always thought the game should have more colour whilst you are a child as the world hasn't descended into darkness yet.

WillyFive

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, has that Majora vibe.

At least they are actually "remaking" the game and it's not just a more colorful and clearer port with better animation.

It's really damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Fix too much, "it's not the same:("

Fix too little, "lazy effort:\"

I think it just needs to keep the same nostalgic feeling, it doesn't mean that the game can't be changed.

Mario 64 DS had some really nice changes to the gameplay, but it was ruined for me because the sound effects were different and the colors were lost. If they kept the sound effects (which is what made the game nostalgic for me), they could have added a ton of new and radical stuff and I would not have been mad at all.

But this seems to be the opposite. They changed the visuals, but the game itself looks identical. So both of worst worlds.

Anyway, the problem with the screens is not the amount of colors, but the colors themselves. Neon green water, yellow fog, etc. Otherwise, more colors should be good.

SuperJay

ehhh...I just don't know about the new color palette. I'm assuming the bright, neon colors look a little less eye-gouging in 3d. That said, I always liked how the slightly drab colors, hard shadows, and less fanciful architecture of the original contributed to a more ominous and foreboding atmosphere. Seems like that's being written out a little in this remake.

Christopher

Willy105 said:
I think it just needs to keep the same nostalgic feeling, it doesn't mean that the game can't be changed.

Mario 64 DS had some really nice changes to the gameplay, but it was ruined for me because the sound effects were different and the colors were lost. If they kept the sound effects (which is what made the game nostalgic for me), they could have added a ton of new and radical stuff and I would not have been mad at all.

But this seems to be the opposite. They changed the visuals, but the game itself looks identical. So both of worst worlds.

Anyway, the problem with the screens is not the amount of colors, but the colors themselves. Neon green water, yellow fog, etc. Otherwise, more colors should be good.

*shrug it looks great to me - it looks like the actual artstyle it was based on.

Myriadis

I guess that the game will look darker on the 3DS,that's why they made it so colorful.You can adjust your background light anyway,after all.
Anyhow,I like it how they finally made it more colorful.OoT's main colors were pretty much gray and brown,after all.

Ysiadmihi said:
I think in most cases, the new version looks significantly better. The town square and shop interiors in particular look great and remind me of Majora's Mask.

...but that Temple of Time shot is just disgusting when compared to the original.
I am almost the opposite. I generally prefer the aesthetics of the original from what we've seen so far EXCEPT for the Castle Town and Temple of Time where I feel there's a significant improvement and change for the better.

My greatest fear is seeing Forest Temple, Shadow Temple, Fire Temple and Spirit Temple having their atmosphere compromised by a garish, happier look. I am crossing my fingers for places like these. Oh and I can't wait to see Lake Hylia, that's one place that has GOT to look better.

Remake looks better. I welcome the changes. Vibrant colors will look fantastic on the 3DS screen, in motion and in 3D. There is no pleasing some people. If they don't change anything "Wah, wah, it's a ROM dump!"... If they upgrade and enhance stuff "Wah, wah, why did they mess with my beloved game!"

I do slightly sympathize with these cries, for nostalgic reasons, but if you want to play the game the way it originally looked then it's readily available on so many platforms. I for one welcome these changes with an open mind (including the color saturation)... This isn't a port, it's a remake/remaster/reimagination of OoT. Of course it will look different.

tldr; Haters gonna hate.

Oblivion said:
They changed the architecture too. :(

Yeah, for the better.

RpgN

From The Dust said:

I don't remember that area anymore, which is a good thing. Only played and finished OOT once. This remake/port seems to look better than expected, will get it now.

rhino4evr

I think it's funny that some of you want to be able to explore new areas (behind the temple) in a game which is obviously a shot for shot port. I think I even read an interview where they mentioned that they wanted you to feel like you were playing OOT despite the new graphics. The camera angles and such will be similar if not identical.

I'm just looking forward to playing this on the go and in 3D.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Maybe it'll look better in motion...

or much worse.
Better. People complained about the water in Kokiri forest but when a vid popped up, people saw how much better it looked. The whole game will look better than the screens even suggest.

WillyFive

rhino4evr said:
I think it's funny that some of you want to be able to explore new areas (behind the temple) in a game which is obviously a shot for shot port. I think I even read an interview where they mentioned that they wanted you to feel like you were playing OOT despite the new graphics. The camera angles and such will be similar if not identical.

I'm just looking forward to playing this on the go and in 3D.

It can feel like Ocarina of Time with the new areas. It's not like they would be replacing the old ones.

Magicpaint said:
Better. People complained about the water in Kokiri forest but when a vid popped up, people saw how much better it looked. The whole game will look better than the screens even suggest.

The 3D is going to help it a lot, especially the parts that used to be pre-rendered.

rhino4evr

Willy105 said:
It can feel like Ocarina of Time with the new areas. It's not like they would be replacing the old ones.

The 3D is going to help it a lot, especially the parts that used to be pre-rendered.
Yeah...but that isn't the intention. You can tell from the screenshots that the game is very close to the original game camera angles...almost exact

MooMoo

Generally, pictures tend to do injustice to DS games; they almost always look better in motion. That said, I'm officially interested in buying this game, even though I don't really like Zelda games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Honestly? The vibrant colors look much more consistent with the overall artstyle they've been using for this remake. The old CGI backgrounds looked completely tacked on and out of place (besides being a blurry, washed out mess per se).
I agree that some areas we've seen (Gohma's lair, the entrance of the Forest temple) should look a bit darker, though.

From what I've seen so far, the biggest creative changes/improvements (bomb shop, hyrule castle town, hyrule castle) are what I wish they did to the whole game.

The other side of the coin: textured mouths, rounded shadows, link being without a detailed shadow, lack of volumetric fog in places with fog, lack of detailed fingers on characters (because that animation information wasn't there in the first place, but they aren't adding it) is what is pushing the game down.

Town looks gooood! Water looks... uh

Willy105 said:
I just don't like how the camera is stationary. It might as well be pre-rendered still.

It's stereoscopic, it would be literally impossible to recreate with static panoramas.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Seeing Death Mountain over the Temple of Time, and that actually being geographically correct, makes me happy.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Graphics Horse said:
It's stereoscopic, it would be literally impossible to recreate with static panoramas.
Actually, it's not impossible. You can still use two renders, just like any 3D photo.

Rich!

holy shit, those new screenshots are great!

In exactly two months, I will have had this game for two days. And Duke Nukem Forever for a week. Hard to believe (especially the last part).

Jocchan said:
Actually, it's not impossible. You can still use two renders, just like any 3D photo.

Actually, you can't. Not the ones that rotate 360 degrees. Each 'eye' needs to revolve relative to a shared central point. The non rotating cameras would be fine as renders of course, but it's best to keep it consistent.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Akai said:
Hahaha, the top line of Old Hylian script in the board on the left merely reads "Naninuneno." I'm not sure whether that's lazy or hilarious...
Who are the patriots?!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Graphics Horse said:
Actually, you can't. Not the ones that rotate 360 degrees. Each 'eye' needs to revolve relative to a shared central point.
I'm sorry, what do you mean with "not the ones that rotate 360 degrees"? I don't remember rotation in the prerendered backgrounds.

Jocchan said:
Oh, I didn't remember that. I was somehow sure they were entirely stationary.
I stand corrected then.

The rooms in houses were a particularly bizarre descision, some rooms are 3D and some do that virtual tour thing, despite being completely dull inside.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Graphics Horse said:
The rooms in houses were a particularly bizarre descision, some rooms are 3D and some do that virtual tour thing, despite being completely dull inside.
Yes. It was extremely inconsistent.

Actually, thinking again, even the rotating prerendered backgrounds *could* be done in 3D using prerendered 3D videos. In OoT's case, though, having everything in real time makes much more sense.

watershed

Banned
I'm digging these new screens of the towns and shops. Everything looks much more alive and in real time this time! And now with the addition of the boss attack mode, I can't wait!

artwalknoon said:
I'm digging these new screens of the towns and shops. Everything looks much more alive and in real time this time! And now with the addition of the boss attack mode, I can't wait!
I want an extra dungeon and a camera shop! like link's awakening DX had!

A camera shop, be it like Majora Mask/Wind Waker (with a trophy room!) or like Link's Awakening "pictures taken from a photographer of game moments" would be awesome.

Top Bottom