• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Platy

John said:
the old ones give a different mood to the new ones. that's what ultimately matters, i think.

...and people are thinking as a different mood for a screenshot

The new mood not only feels better in the sense of "wow ! first big city i see !" and it also helps to build the contrast with the
zombie infested version

The n64 version looks too monochromatic to fit the happy medieval fair like music

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/z64markt.mid (no hotlinking ... copy and paste)

D-Pad

Looks too much like World of Warcraft now!!! What the hell were they thinking on the colors!?!

Only thing I really don't like are the fixed camera angles still being present. Now that everything is 3D I was kind of hoping for a new camera system as well... Not that it's a game killer but it's slightly disappointing.

thefro

Prime Blue said:
Too small. Looks like they ran out of bricks.

15eipu1.png

The new building looks like Stan should be standing right next to it

Stan.gif
[

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lostinblue said:
OoT and MM also aged better than most.

Not really. Ocarina went from best looking game of all time to a game that looks worse than Mario 64 now.

PKrockin

lostinblue said:
OoT and MM also aged better than most.

Eh, I don't know if I agree, but SF64 has aged a lot better than either for sure. The framerate is smoother and you're flying by everything so you don't look too closely at any one thing. You're too distracted shooting things, dodging, and listening to radio chatter to notice the classic muddy N64 textures, etc.

Pappasman

Nostalgia helps me go back to the n64. I don't have a problem with its terrible graphics.

I really can't wait to see the inside of death mountain.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm interested to see if there are any changes to the colour palette between the two time periods.

MisterHero

Raging Spaniard said:
Not really. Ocarina went from best looking game of all time to a game that looks worse than Mario 64 now.
this claim is literally impossible as Ocarina contains more sophisticated animations and more detailed models with better looking materials

but opinions are opinions even if incorrectly presented

- J - D -

Hopefully there are less transition loads between areas, like going from castle town square to castle courtyard. It'd be great if it were all mostly seamless.

Altazor said:
Except it's supposed to be an Ocarina, as that's the central element of the game, not a pair of out-of-tune flutes.

As for the brightness of the graphics, two things. First off, a computer screen is not a 3DS screen. These may or may not look that bright on the actual system (especially if you don't keep your 3DS at max super bright). Second, the game is obviously still being tweaked and worked on, and it's got two more months, which is forever in handheld development time.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't know why anone was expecting Nintendo to change the static cameras.

Also, after learning how much RAM the 3DS has, it makes the graphics seem all the more disappointing. There's 3 times as much RAM as there was in the GC, yet the grass on Hyrule Field looks marginally better than the grass in TP's Hyrule Field. Triple the memory with 1/5 land space, and that's the best you can do?

This is a solid, but not spectacular remake. Disappointmenton.

Neiteio

Oblivion said:

Also, after learning how much RAM the 3DS has, it makes the graphics seem all the more disappointing. There's 3 times as much RAM as there was in the GC, yet the grass on Hyrule Field looks marginally better than the grass in TP's Hyrule Field. Triple the memory with 1/5 land space, and that's the best you can do?

But how much of the 3DS RAM is bound up with the persistent OS, StreetPass, etc?

And this game looks gorgeous, imo. Only thing more I'd ask for would be some sort of collectible figurines like the trophies in Wind Waker or Smash Bros, with AR support to photograph them in the real world. But I wouldn't expect this.

sfried

Oblivion said:

I don't get this. If they had changed the layout too much, you'd pretty much still get the same complaints now: The original was better. IMO, they have a different art director this time around, which explains the consistent, brighter colour scheme.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Neiteio said:
But how much of the 3DS RAM is bound up with the persistent OS, StreetPass, etc?

I would like to know myself, actually.

I don't get this. If they had changed the layout too much, you'd pretty much still get the same complaints now: The original was better. IMO, they have a different art director this time around, which explains the consistent, brighter colour scheme.

I was referring to how hard they were pushing the tech, not so much the art direction or layout.

Neiteio said:
I believe 32 MB are reserved for OS functions leaving games with access to up to 96 MB.

As for this game, at least it doesn't look ultra-compressed like TP textures did, everything is lively and crisp (appart from some wall textures here and there… and the freaking grass) rather than, well... TP-looking.

The game could look better, there's no question, but that's why it is a enhanced port rather than a remake from the ground. A lot of the inner workings of the game were left alone, like the "OoT/MH kind of shadows for the main character, rounded shadows all around, lack of detailed fingers and mouth (no doubt because such information wasn't in the original animation/game and would give a lot of work to upgrade) amongst lots of other little things; the geometry too, at times it seems like they mostly just left it as is when it comes to areas and instead remodeled the local detail of buildings and the like. It's certainly not something done from the ground or meant to push the platform… But it's still one hell of an upgrade.

The new particle system has to be seen, really makes the 3D pop up and the game feel lively (this said, seeing it I felt WW would have been a better candidate).
Neiteio said:
And this game looks gorgeous, imo. Only thing more I'd ask for would be some sort of collectible figurines like the trophies in Wind Waker or Smash Bros, with AR support to photograph them in the real world. But I wouldn't expect this.
This… I'd love.

agrajag

Banned
Neiteio said:
Semi-off-topic, but I've been basking in the glow of these new screens like the rest of you, and it got me thinking: Majora's Mask aside, what other N64 games would benefit from a Grezzo-style 3DS remake/enhanced port? Off-hand I can only think of Rare candidates, since when it comes to things like Wave Race it'd make more sense to simply make another game (which yes, should be done for all Nintendo's franchises, but you know what I mean). :)

F-Zero X!!!!

web01

The updated graphics are amazing except for that water which makes me want to puke.
I really hope they have time to fix it.

agrajag

Banned
D-Pad said:
Looks too much like World of Warcraft now!!! What the hell were they thinking on the colors!?!

Only thing I really don't like are the fixed camera angles still being present. Now that everything is 3D I was kind of hoping for a new camera system as well... Not that it's a game killer but it's slightly disappointing.

Yeah, I thought so too. I found the fixed camera in the city very annoying in the original.

M74

Oblivion said:
Because this is the year 2011, and we expect less rigidity and seamless overworlds.

M74 said:
Because this is the year 2011, and we expect less rigidity and seamless overworlds.
Fixed camera/pre-rendered is fine; I'm still rooting for a new Baten Kaitos on 3DS.

Distant point of view in cameras can be very nice to convey how big spaces operate and are configured, it's simply part of OoT, I'd say; seeing hyrule castle town like that and seeing that the death mountain is behind the temple of time. That scale being "in-your-face" really works well, imo.

EDIT: I was thinking what recent game in low res had a really far away fixed camera that made up for some epic footsteps and doorway; it was ghost of sparta on psp. This to say that not just 1998 games opted for far away fixed cameras to do their job.

Mistle

Am I the only one that kind of doesn't want to see any more screens? I was actually kind of hesitant looking at the market place. It'd be a good experience to see the area upgrades for the first time as you get up to them in-game.

Or perhaps I'm being too touchy :p

Link needs a shadow.
Seems to be in front of him. He has a shadow in other screens.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
hehe, I always thought the random patch of flowers in the middle of the courtyard was weird.

Mistle

BGBW said:
Oh the suspense of not knowing what they did with the Mario portraits cameo.
It's gotta be Mario 3DS related. Unless they keep mega-true to Ocarina and use Mario 64 graphics again, which would be cool in its own regard.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mistle said:
They got rid of the flowers!

Game ruined.
look a the picture, they're off to the sides at the entrace now....

BGBW said:
Oh the suspense of not knowing what they did with the Mario portraits cameo.

um, as you can see.. there are drape-like things dangling from the castle walls. I would surmise there are two more covering where the windows used to be

do you guys not have eyes? Jesus

Mistle

GaimeGuy said:
look a the picture, they're off to the sides at the entrace now....

um, as you can see.. there are drape-like things dangling from the castle walls. I would surmise there are two more covering where the windows used to be

I really doubt they'd remove that window, seems like a wasted opportunity for a cool little easter egg.

Woffls

smurfx said:
who knew there were female zelda fans. :p
I've actually recently started thinking that a higher proportion of female gamers like Zelda than male gamers. Most of the male gamers I know don't care about Zelda, but the few female gamers I know mostly like Zelda. Yeah, bit of a generalisation, but that's my anecdotal 'evidence'.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
GaimeGuy said:
My dad taught me from a young age not to assume. Just because they added drapes to a bare wall, doesn't mean there are more drapes in the parts we can't see.

Also without the windows I can't get those bonus rupees.

Neiteio

GaimeGuy said:

Ocarina-of-Time-110.jpg

Hey, what's that on the far right?

A WINDOW.

Who's not using their eyes now, eh? :)

Top Bottom