• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Medalion

Banned
Ahhh memories... the music and sound effects, straight up ripped from N64...the graphics are slightly different... the video is a bit...hue-y than I expected... gotta see it on the 3DS to know for sure

watershed

Banned
Medalion said:
More demonstration of using the camera to mirror what you do on screen, tilt up, the camera matches your movements

Also the game in those videos looks way better than the released screenshots. The textures and lighting look very sharp.

blamite

Wow, I haven't seen much about this game in a while, but those videos are looking really great. The game looks so smooth at 30 fps. I wouldn't have minded the game at it's old framerate but it really does look great now. My only minor complaint is that the effects on the river on the opening make it look really fast. I might be wrong, but I don't remember it being that fast on the N64.

Looks great, but they really could've done something better with that water...I doubt it would have been that difficult to give it a better texture right?

watershed

Banned
MadraptorMan said:
Looks great, but they really could've done something better with that water...I doubt it would have been that difficult to give it a better texture right?

Yeah the water is the worst part of those videos, they better not mess up Zora's domain!

Kenka

Holy Fucking Shit. This intro scene, it sent me back to 1998 ! I almost felt exactly the same as back then. Unbelievable :eek:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That terrible water is like someone took a log of shit and smeared it across the screen. Stick a fucking shader on it.

ant1532

Banned
I'm impressed every time how much of a graphical improvement this is. I recently played Ocarina this year and damn. Looks like a completely different game almost.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
CharliePants said:
It really does look far better in motion than in the screenshots.
Absolutely. It looks a lot better than Ocarina 64. Really sharp.

But that water texture is something I can get slightly nitpicky about. It won't deter from the overall experience, though.

What in the hell is this!?!?
http://i51.tinypic.com/2clykg.jpg

This was found on NOE's press site in the screen shots section for Ocarina of Time 3D.

Edit: Just a misplaced asset for Solatorobo. Looking up the Solatorobo assets page shows the same image in their supporting artwork section. False alarm.

jdforge

Banned
Yeah the water could be better. I think it's the colouring more so than the movement that's just not right. But this is nit-picking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TSA said:
What in the hell is this!?!?
http://i51.tinypic.com/2clykg.jpg

This was found on NOE's press site in the screen shots section for Ocarina of Time 3D.

Source?

If legit, probably Skyward Sword's city in the sky where Link comes from, which hasn't be revealed yet.

If no source, probably bullshit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Really not liking the yellowish coloring in the intro. And wtf? They don't have the OoT logo showing up until the very end?

Some of the gameplay videos look nice at least. Very good textures.

Still don't like the aesthetics of the intro as well as the original (yellowish hue = meh) but the graphical improvements are obvious.

EatChildren said:
That terrible water is like someone took a log of shit and smeared it across the screen. Stick a fucking shader on it.

Agreed, it looks like ass and it's a shame too - the original's water was rather wonderful for its time.

Couldn't they even get somethin akin to TP's water? Now that was gorgeous.

EatChildren

_Alkaline_ said:
Agreed, it looks like ass and it's a shame too - the original's water was rather wonderful for its time.

Couldn't they even get somethin akin to TP's water? Now that was gorgeous.

That too would look good.

Hell, they could just stick a near identical shader to Pilotwings on it and it would look great. A little bit of sunlight shimmering on the top.

As an animated texture it looks gross.

People will continue to bitch for just about anything. They make changes in the game, people bitch there's shit smeared across the screen. If they wouldn't have made changes like that, people bitch they're not paying full prize for the exact game again. Get your heads out of your asses people.

EatChildren said:
That too would look good.

Hell, they could just stick a near identical shader to Pilotwings on it and it would look great. A little bit of sunlight shimmering on the top.

As an animated texture it looks gross.

I'm going to assume Nintendo didn't want to upgrade things too much as they wanted to preserve the original's look whilst removing that "omg it looks shit now i used to think it looked good" attitude some may have otherwise had towards it.

Problem is, that water is a downgrade. It looks like it would burn Link's face off if he jumped into it.

Jackano said:
You think this will be superior?
It's just the same US and recent (look at ST) japanese crap!

It's not difficult to make a good Zelda boxart. Just put the logo with gold somewhere on it and bam. Not those artworks!
Except the EU Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks boxes look about 700 times better than the US ones.

Oblivion said:
True, but it just seems strange they would do that. But yeah, overall really low on the list of complaints so far.

I was being too harsh. I know what you mean. Just seemed like such an odd thing to complain about!

Personally I like not having a logo take up half the screen.

To those who haven't played the demo or game, its really gorgeous in 3D - particularly the particle effects.

zelda01k.gif

Ambient particle effects and weather effects seem to look particularly awesome on 3DS.. I can't friggin wait for this!

Top Bottom