• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

jarosh

Big One said:
That's not what I'm saying, your whole argument was surrounded by the fact that since it uses instrumental samples, then it should upgrade to real instruments. There's definitely instrumental samples used in a good portion of the tracks, but for something like the Forest Temple: there is none. Ocarina of Time's soundtrack was developed with synth sounds in mind, instrument samples or not. This is why I believe people suggesting switching to real instruments or orchestrated music is flawed, cause of the heavy synth sounds used in most of the tracks. I can understand updating the intro theme with a real piano, but aside from that I think going fullblown instrumental would be out of place and inexcusable. To update the actual music with better sound quality, however? That's fine
i never suggested that sounds of a certain type or instrumentation be replaced with DIFFERENT sounds. clearly i wasn't talking about synthesized samples when i said "you are talking about samples of real instruments". i apologize for the confusion. either way, the VAST majority of samples in oot were taken from real instruments. naturally you wouldn't simply replace a synthesized pad sound and an ominous echoey percussion sample with a string section and a set of hi hats and snare drums. but make no mistake: there is no complex synthesis going on with ANY of the electronic sounds. they were samples. period. and replacing those simple lo-fi electronic samples with better electronic samples is, on a technical level, almost painfully straightfoward and ridiculously simple. for the more complex and longer samples (like that percussion thingy), again, just KEEP them. simple as that. they are few and far between.

Tathanen said:
Really the technical explanations here are well beyond the point, it's not really relevant to me whether there was a discrete sound chip or why the sound sounded like it sounded. "I like how OOT sounded." "I am happy it still sounds that way." This is really the beginning and the end of my point!

There's a sense of coziness and smallness that I get from OOT, really. An innocence begat by its place in gaming's lifespan perhaps, those first unsteady steps into 3D gaming, into 3D worlds. The music reinforces it for me. Its softness, its often muted orchestration, the exact sound of very specific things. I am not arguing for N64-sounding music in new 3DS Zelda games, I am arguing for "the OOT soundtrack in OOT." The orchestration of its music is a large part of what defines its experience to me, and "up-ressing" said music would damage that in my opinion. I do not want to hear real instruments, I do not want to hear "high quality samples." I want to hear the sounds that define OOT as OOT.

Maybe I'd support a more significant soundtrack alteration if this was a more thorough remake, one with significant alterations to the wireframes of the locations, new events, an updated script, reorganized progression, etc. But that's not what this is. This is the same old OOT, with the visuals remastered. I expect this game to feel much more like the original OOT than a more "real" remake would, and so I support the original soundtrack completely in furthering that sensation.
we are still talking about the oot REMAKE, right? it already IS a remake. since you are so particular about what mood low quality samples of real instruments evoke that would be missing from higher quality equivalents, how come you're not affected by the abundance of texture, geometry and color changes? how about the aspect ratio? the changed map? the higher resolution and frame rate, etc.? if you're arguing for "the oot soundtrack in oot" then how come you're not arguing for the oot textures, models etc. in oot? well, this ISN'T vanilla oot anymore. it's supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT. and just like they're trying to get closer to the look of the concept art, they might as well get closer to the sound of the REAL instuments the music was written for. why even have a remake at all otherwise? why be selective about what aspects of the presentation are fine to be changed or improved upon and what aren't? none of the changes affect the ORIGINAL n64 game in any way. clearly that's what you should play if you're looking for the original oot experience. any remake with even the SLIGHTEST changes will not provide that.

The Lamp

Anth0ny said:
Are you listening to OOT music?

Because I don't think you're listening to OOT music. It sounded amazing then, and sounds amazing now. And will forever sound amazing.

It is amazing or sounds amazing?

One is not like the other.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
jarosh said:
we are still talking about the oot REMAKE, right? it alread IS a remake. since you are so particular about what mood low quality samples of real instruments evoke that would be missing from higher quality equivalents, how come you're not affected by the abundance of texture, geometry and color changes? how about the aspect ratio? the changed map? the higher resolution and frame rate, etc.? if you're arguing for "the oot soundtrack in oot" then how come you're not arguing for the oot textures, models etc. in oot? well, this ISN'T vanilla oot anymore. it's supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT. and just like they're trying to get closer to the look of the concept art, they might as well get closer to the sound of the REAL instuments the music was written for. why even have a remake at all otherwise? why be selective about what aspects of the presentation are fine to be changed or improved upon and what aren't? none of the changes affect the ORIGINAL n64 game in any way. clearly that's what you should play if you're looking for the original oot experience. any remake with even the SLIGHTEST changes will not provide that.

Because, as I already said, I don't think the visuals aged well. I think the music did not have that problem. There is changing something to make it better, and then there is just changing something for the sake of changing it. In my opinion the graphics and interface changes are improvements. The audio I do not feel needs to be improved.

[edit] It's also probably worth noting that for me personally, the soundtrack for a game contributes disproportionately to the impression it leaves on me versus any of its other elements, so I'm a bit protective here.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The original music isn't going to bother me but really, it should be updated for a remake even if just to make it seem less lazy.

jarosh

Tathanen said:
Because, as I already said, I don't think the visuals aged well. I think the music did not have that problem. There is changing something to make it better, and then there is just changing something for the sake of changing it. In my opinion the graphics and interface changes are improvements. The audio I do not feel needs to be improved.
and yet changes and "improvements" to textures, models and general geometry require a much more significant departure from the original intent, a lot of guesswork and interpretation and by design will include many additional details and refinements that were never part of the original vision. a dilemma artists are also faced with when updating pixel art to high resolution art. replacing a low quality piano sample with a high quality one, on the other hand, is arguably always gonna be much more straightforward, since it's clear as day that the original intent, the original vision, was that of a piano. it only had to be downsampled to accomodate for the lack of space...

Tathanen said:
[edit] It's also probably worth noting that for me personally, the soundtrack for a game contributes disproportionately to the impression it leaves on me versus any of its other elements, so I'm a bit protective here.
i'll be bold and say that you won't find anyone more focused and affected by the audio side of a game's presentation than me on this board. ;) and that's pretty much why i'm protective of my side of the argument as well. just so we're clear: i can make a very good (and very wordy) case for why a lot of 8-bit music is superior to modern, orchestrated game soundtracks, but that's for another time... to me, the original oot music belongs into the original game. i wouldn't want the composition or tone changed in a remake, but upgrading what CLEARLY SUFFERED because of memory and processing restrictions seems like a no-brainer to me. again: the original vision for the music is OBVIOUS (something that can't be said of the visual changes) and replacing the low quality samples with their equivalent high quality instruments (not CHANGING the instruments!) seems like the least you could do for a remake.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I absolutely love OoT's soundtrack, but I wouldn't pretend for a second I wouldn't want a higher quality re-composition.

It's pretty pathetic Nintendo didn't do so. I mean, has there ever been a remake that kept the exact same soundtrack from the game it was remaking?

The Hermit

MisterHero said:
The opening of the original told me the game was really special because of the shiny, spinning Nintendo 64 logo

the 3ds version will miss that but I'll have my memorieeeessss

So true... so fucking true.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Quoting from http://ign64.ign.com/articles/061/061845p1.html

The Super NES has a soundchip, the N64 doesn't have a soundchip. That's how it is. The N64 shares its workload with the co-processor -- actually, let me rephrase that: The whole machine does it, because you can also make music with the CPU. It just seems that at the moment most people are preoccupied with pumping out cool graphics -- and that's also what most gamers want. And the more graphics you do on the N64, the less performance you have left over for sound. With the Super NES, you knew that you could do all this and then you still had a sound chip to handle the music. On the N64, sound eats up performance.

And that's why it's completely retarded to have the 3DS emulate the N64's shitty music and sound samples.

Well, I didn't knew this. It kinda explains why I love SNES musics much more than the 64.

I am, however, still waiting for somenone to explain why TP has some awesome tunes and others so incredibly bad

syoaran

taylorkerns said:
Are we really bitching because they're not updating the music? The original tracks are still pitch-perfect. The Forest Temple? When I hear that shit, I can *feel* the place. It sounds cool and damp. Mossy. It sounds like I'm being watched.

There's no need to change the music.

It's not so much that the music has not been scored well, it's that it's recorded at such a low bitrate that it sounds hollow by more modern standards. This is a pity, because a proper re-doing of the music is 50% of the re-touch the game should have.

Also, I've been really spoiled by AC1-2 1/2 because the horse animation feels horrible. I can fully accept that my expectation of animations to be slightly improved is unfair, but after playing KH bbs before watching this, the drop in quality animation is slightly disappointing.

Saying that, I'm still excited to re-play the game on the 3DS.

jett

D-Member
Easy_D said:
Disc space, I'd assume. Same reason some (alot) of the textures looked like shit

Sequenced music takes up a minimal amount of space, if the music sound like crap the blame falls entirely on the composers.

Kandinsky

That shitty water is doing the same the shitty water in 3d dot game heroes did for me, making it unplayable, and this is my favorite game ever, fucking assholes.

Sounds silly i know, but i dont really care.

watershed

Banned
Okay I too wish the music was completely remastered or orchestrated but the music in the new opening trailer still sounds amazing! It doesn't sound particularly old/grainy to me and it brings all the memories back the moment it starts.

jarosh said:
again: the original vision for the music is OBVIOUS (something that can't be said of the visual changes) and replacing the low quality samples with their equivalent high quality instruments (not CHANGING the instruments!) seems like the least you could do for a remake.
Some music wasn't meant to sound like the original instrument, however - back in those days they made the music sound good with whatever they had; if a saxophone sample for example didn't sound like a good sax at all, but still sounded good for the composition, they might use it; in that case swapping that for a real sax sample might make it sound like crap, or change the whole tone of the song. I've heard some orchestrations that sounded WAY different from the original videogame piece, even if it was kept identical to the original track but just with real people playing real instruments.

Easy_D said:
Disc space, I'd assume. Same reason some (alot) of the textures looked like shit
Disk space most likely wasn't a problem. IIRC, Twilight Princess took 1 GB, which was actually a little less space than Wind Waker. But the Gamecube disk could store 1.5 GB.

Fernando Rocker said:
They should have used Super Mario Galaxy's water...
it is a enhanced port, they could have aimed to have Zelda TP water as well, but the thing is it would require a major revamping than simply using a higher quality semi-transparent water texture which was how the original water was programmed/done; the more advanced water you suggest uses EMBM and particle systems intensively for instance and a few other hardware effects that probably couldn't just be applied like a switch, they had to revamp all of it and in the end, OoT was a very tied together game (to express my point: the talon/malon lon-lon ranch wood wall texture was re-used on every wood door arc in the game.) who knows what revamping the way water works would ensue, for instance in the way it blends into a cascade (there are a few).

Same as saying the game doesn't seem to use bump mapping or fancy graphical techniques throughout, it's because it's an enhanced port done on top of the original rather than a remake from the ground.

Why would you do that? said:
Disk space most likely wasn't a problem. IIRC, Twilight Princess took 1 GB, which was actually a little less space than Wind Waker. But the Gamecube disk could store 1.5 GB.
Actually… Twilight Princess took roughly 1.15 GB; Wind Waker took 1.13 GB. It's nothing but if anything they're on par with each other.

And the GC discs actually took only 1.4 GB

Twilight Princess was severely compressed when it came to textures though, they probably cranked up the S3TC resolution all the way to 6:1 or 8:1 (which is where it starts to be too agressive)

lostinblue said:
Actually… Twilight Princess took roughly 1.15 GB; Wind Waker took 1.13 GB. It's nothing but if anything they're on par with each other.

And the GC discs actually took only 1.4 GB

Twilight Princess was severely compressed when it came to textures though, they probably cranked up the S3TC resolution all the way to 6:1 or 8:1 (which is where it starts to be too agressive)
Ah, thanks for the corrections. I'm on my netbook, so I don't have Gamecube rips on me to check.

But still, they had a good amount of extra space to work with if they wanted to.

Why would you do that? said:
Ah, thanks for the corrections. I'm on my netbook, so I don't have Gamecube rips on me to check.

But still, they had a good amount of extra space to work with if they wanted to.
Not that much, and bare in mind they were saying they were avoiding loadings like the plague (and originally thought they would be obliged to do them, with TP)… The outer area of the disc (the "free" 250 MB we're talking about) is the slowest access area so perhaps they were avoiding it; they've done it for two consecutive Zelda games after all and one whose textures were severely compressed too, lowering the compression on a few key textures and filling the disc could have been done, but seems like it was avoided.

Perhaps they didn't want to use them; anyway, considering the game was feature complete with it's memory footprint "full" at most they could have added a few areas, I guess.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lostinblue said:

Wait what? What the hell did WW have in it that took up so much space?

Lionheart1337 said:
WW was a huge game. Probably the biggest Zelda game map wise.
I'm pretty sure the ocean didn't take up physical space on the disc. Island geometry, sure. Was it really remarkable in that respect, though? It had less dungeons than OoT/TP. If a single small island has about as much geometry as a dungeon room, then it's probably no bigger in terms of map data than TP.

UncleSporky said:
I'm pretty sure the ocean didn't take up physical space on the disc. Island geometry, sure. Was it really remarkable in that respect, though? It had less dungeons than OoT/TP. If a single small island has about as much geometry as a dungeon room, then it's probably no bigger in terms of map data than TP.

I can only guess but:

- the end credits / post-credits-movie are FMV <<< could be a big factor.
- the game *does* boast more fluid disney-cartoonesque animation than TP, I'm thinking particularly of Moblins, Bokoblins, Kargarocs, the Helmaroc King, Valoo, Gohma, Cyclos and Zephos... again though, I don't think that would take up too much space storage wise, that would only really be a scripting / performance issue.
- although cel shaded, there are some nice crisp textures in the game. As posted earlier in this thread, some of TPs textures are incredibly compressed.

Nintendo doesn't skimp on the textures (though there was TP). For some reason they use high res textures despite rendering in SD resolutions. Wonder why

Oblivion said:
Wait what? What the hell did WW have in it that took up so much space?
The Wind Waker made up 1.02 GB of the 1.35 GB disc. That's because of the two (demo after title screen and staff credits plus epilogue) long prerecorded movies (600 MB) and the streaming audio for cutscenes (130 MB). The actual game data is about 300 MB.

Twilight Princess was 0.97 GB. Only one prerecorded movie, the demo after the title screen (130 MB), and lots of streaming audio for cutscenes (380 MB). Actual game was about 530 MB, mainly because of much bigger sound banks for sequenced music and sound effects (almost 150 MB compared to TWW's 30 MB).

jarosh said:
replacing a low quality piano sample with a high quality one, on the other hand, is arguably always gonna be much more straightforward, since it's clear as day that the original intent, the original vision, was that of a piano. it only had to be downsampled to accomodate for the lack of space...

[...]

replacing the low quality samples with their equivalent high quality instruments (not CHANGING the instruments!) seems like the least you could do for a remake.
Remastering music is a very delicate process, as Dreamwriter already said. Just using higher-quality samples can mutilate the music beyond recognition, everything has to fit together perfectly to make the soundtrack sound natural. ZREO for example are experts on ruining Zelda music with a bunch of high-quality soundfonts – they just don't work together.

That's not to say they shouldn't have updated the music for Ocarina of Time 3D (because they really should have), but it's a lot more work than swapping some samples.

Thanks for the info on the FMVs -- I knew I'd read that was the case.

300MB seems tiny for Wind Waker... it'd be interesting to look across all games and see if we could formulate what games give the best value ratio dollar to megabyte, and game size to gamelength.

Prime Blue said:
That's not to say they shouldn't have updated the music for Ocarina of Time 3D (because they really should have), but it's a lot more work than swapping some samples.

Agreed. One of the things that would have become really obvious with better soundfonts is the lack of dynamic pressure and sustain applied to notes, or false sounding dynamics, particularly on real-world based instruments like harp or piano... the MIDI tracks would need to be re-recorded or carefully tweaked to better take advantage of the more realistic quirks of the font. As you say, you can't just apply new instruments, you'd need to remix volume levels of the different tracks as well and find fonts that work well together.

That's not to say that it would have been an arduous or difficult job. I bet most music programmers worth their salt would have relished the challenge of revamping the soundtrack... it just obviously wasn't a priority for Nintendo, and therefore not something Grezzo were asked to do. All will be well as long as Skyward Sword has a Mario Galaxy quality soundtrack!

Thanks Prime Blue, as always you're on top of your game. Very nice information to know, that.
Prime Blue said:
Remastering music is a very delicate process, as Dreamwriter already said. Just using higher-quality samples can mutilate the music beyond recognition, everything has to fit together perfectly to make the soundtrack sound natural. ZREO for example are experts on ruining Zelda music with a bunch of high-quality soundfonts – they just don't work together.
Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks their work sucks ass. Thought I was alone.

jarosh

Prime Blue said:
The Wind Waker made up 1.02 GB of the 1.35 GB disc. That's because of the two (demo after title screen and staff credits plus epilogue) long prerecorded movies (600 MB) and the streaming audio for cutscenes (130 MB). The actual game data is about 300 MB.

Twilight Princess was 0.97 GB. Only one prerecorded movie, the demo after the title screen (130 MB), and lots of streaming audio for cutscenes (380 MB). Actual game was about 530 MB, mainly because of much bigger sound banks for sequenced music and sound effects (almost 150 MB compared to TWW's 30 MB).

being a musician and audio engineer, i know what goes into the process of remaking music that way, replacing samples etc. at no point was i trying to imply that it's a zero-effort affair and that all you'd have to do is swap them out with the touch of a button. i didn't think i'd have to go into all the detail of what it entails. but i maintain that it should be EXPECTED from this kind of a remake. the process of replacing samples, finding and editing them to fit in, might not be straightforward, but the RESULT will be - it should sound better, more natural, clearer, but familiar. and compared to writing and producing an entirely new soundtrack or re-doing the soundtrack from scratch, it certainly IS straightforward.

lostinblue said:
Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks their work sucks ass. Thought I was alone.
Definitely not, it's just that most don't bring it up. :)

jarosh said:
at no point was i trying to imply that it's a zero-effort affair
Then I misunderstood you, sorry.

jett said:
Yes, yes it does. It sounded bad 13 years ago. Listen to this piece from Legend of Mana for the PS1, which also used sequenced("midi") music. Abysmal difference in sound quality from a game of the same era. There's no excuse today, Grezzo or whoever should've at least improved the sampling and the instrumentation.

Shit, OOT's music sounds bad compared to ALTTP.
Ahoi-Brause said:
Quoting from http://ign64.ign.com/articles/061/061845p1.html

The Super NES has a soundchip, the N64 doesn't have a soundchip. That's how it is. The N64 shares its workload with the co-processor -- actually, let me rephrase that: The whole machine does it, because you can also make music with the CPU. It just seems that at the moment most people are preoccupied with pumping out cool graphics -- and that's also what most gamers want. And the more graphics you do on the N64, the less performance you have left over for sound. With the Super NES, you knew that you could do all this and then you still had a sound chip to handle the music. On the N64, sound eats up performance.

And that's why it's completely retarded to have the 3DS emulate the N64's shitty music and sound samples.
The sound drivers for the N64 Zelda games were far from perfect, but if you think they sounded worse than ALttP or even horrible, then you're just wrong. The two soundtracks shine especially in the ambient department, and what's better, they sound unique – unlike many, many PlayStation RPGs whose tracks could probably be "copied and pasted" in a number of other games without any difference in sound...

And the N64 wasn't a problem at all. There's games with great music samples out there: Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Bomberman 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, 1080° Snowboarding, Castlevania, Resident Evil 2, Mario Party, The New Tetris.
If you want to blame someone, try it with lazy developers that didn't invest enough in their sound departments.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just cause a game is cel-shaded doesnt mean it uses less geometry, in some cases you actually need more than in a photo-real game.

The Hermit

Prime Blue said:

The Water Temple "remix" of that site is awful...
Music is a tough thing to touch in games, especially classic ones.

Raging Spaniard said:
Just cause a game is cel-shaded doesnt mean it uses less geometry, in some cases you actually need more than in a photo-real game.
Yeah, but windwaker didn't actually have that much geometry on it's 300 mb.
Because most of the game was filled with a fucking blue ocean made of nothing with a few islands filled with nothing inbetween.

jett

D-Member
Prime Blue said:
Definitely not, it's just that most don't bring it up. :)

Then I misunderstood you, sorry.

The sound drivers for the N64 Zelda games were far from perfect, but if you think they sounded worse than ALttP or even horrible, then you're just wrong. The two soundtracks shine especially in the ambient department, and what's better, they sound unique – unlike many, many PlayStation RPGs whose tracks could probably be "copied and pasted" in a number of other games without any difference in sound...

And the N64 wasn't a problem at all. There's games with great music samples out there: Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Bomberman 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, 1080° Snowboarding, Castlevania, Resident Evil 2, Mario Party, The New Tetris.
If you want to blame someone, try it with lazy developers that didn't invest enough in their sound departments.

Come on, they are pretty horrible, especially when they come out of an actual N64. Strings and winds sound especially heinous. OOT/MM has this tinny sound to everything that I really dislike. Actually this is a problem carried all the way to Twilight Princess. The people in charge of Zelda's music need to get a clue.

Saying OOT sounded worse than ALTTP was probably an exaggeration :lol, although personally I prefer its soundtrack. Never cared for the ambient dungeon tracks of OOT, even back then.

jett said:
Come on, they are pretty horrible, especially when they come out of an actual N64. Strings and winds sound especially heinous. OOT/MM has this tinny sound to everything that I really dislike. Actually this is a problem carried all the way to Twilight Princess. The people in charge of Zelda's music need to get a clue.

Saying OOT sounded worse than ALTTP was probably an exaggeration :lol, although personally I prefer its soundtrack. Never cared for the ambient dungeon tracks of OOT, even back then.
It's not just the sound that carried over to TP, it's the whole N64 generation feeling. The gameplay of TP was just as clunky as OoT's gameplay.
I don't get why team zelda limits themselves to N64 gamedesign when their new consoles are able to produce much better games. It's like they forgot they made zelda 1-4 and now just try to emulate the OoT experience with all their new games. Why they are doing this is beyond me. They clearly have no passion for the series.

Deku

Banned
So people want the choral portions of the score to be recorded with a real choir?

A lot of music in this game is dynamic and context sensitive , so I expect them to keep it MIDI. If we're arguing about quality of samples, I really don't know or care.

If they upped it, someone will probably complain the cymbals in the Desert Temple doesn't sound right or something.

Can't please everyone.

Deku said:
So people want the choral portions of the score to be recorded with a real choir?

A lot of music in this game is dynamic and context sensitive , so I expect them to keep it MIDI. If we're arguing about quality of samples, I really don't know or care.

If they upped it, someone will probably complain the cymbals in the Desert Temple doesn't sound right or something.

Can't please everyone.
Lttp's soundtrack was recorded with a real orchestra first and then digitalized.

Glass Joe

oatmeal said:
I still prefer the colors of the original, but everything else looks amazing.

I hope the day night cycle is as good as it was before...

Only criticism I have is the dust trail flying from the horse's feet looks cheesy. But environments, animation and frame-rate are a lot nicer, and will undoubtedly be even cooler in 3D.

AniHawk

yeah i wanted improved sound for this thing too. sucks that nintendo put forth some really minimal effort to upgrade their most highly acclaimed game.

Meh sound would have just been bonus for me, don't really mind either way. But the game is looking funtastic. Can't wait to explore that world in 3dzzz and better grafix.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Don't know why everyone's getting so defensive about the music. This is a remake, no? I wouldn't mind if they remade the music as well.
When it comes to zelda some fans have started not only accepting the negligence and disregard nintendo shows for the franchise but even to delude themselves into welcoming it.
That's the only way you can still be a zelda fan without constantly hating what zelda has become.
That's at least my way of interpreting it.
(fictional example "Oh, link transforms into a balloon in the newest zelda and half of the game is inside a submarine while the other half is just a flipped OoT, CAN'T WAIT NINTENDO")

Top Bottom