• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Neiteio

redbarchetta said:
That's it. Only the context-sensitive button.
Another question: what sort of interior changes were made to the Happy Mask Shop? Any more masks on display? Any recognizable masks from Majora's Mask? (I.E. Maybe the Mask of Scents on the wall, for instance.)

Neiteio said:
Another question: what sort of interior changes were made to the Happy Mask Shop? Any more masks on display? Any recognizable masks from Majora's Mask? (I.E. Maybe the Mask of Scents on the wall, for instance.)

You know, I can't recall anything too specific--I saw a lot of interiors! The masks were all the same, but like every other interior, everything was now fully modeled (though the camera angle was the same). There's a few more details about, such as objects resting against walls or on shelves, but it's fairly faithful to the originals.

Neiteio

redbarchetta said:
You know, I can't recall anything too specific--I saw a lot of interiors! The masks were all the same, but like every other interior, everything was now fully modeled (though the camera angle was the same). There's a few more details about, such as objects resting against walls or on shelves, but it's fairly faithful to the originals.
OK. :) Yeah, there was a screenshot released some time ago that showed the revamped bazaar, which is the reason I ask, because it was packed full of details the original never had, like crates and barrels full of various knick-knacks whereas in the N64 original, there was a barren floor and that was it. So as a huge Majora's Mask fan (my fave Zelda game!), I'm curious if they put in any nods about it in the revamped Happy Mask Shop. Probably not, but it'd be cool if they did. :)

In regards to the interface, I'm not clear from what I read on how the touchscreen works regarding items. Do you have to assign items to a physical button before you can you use them, or can you also assign them to the two touchscreen buttons like the special moves in Street Fighter IV 3DE, and simply tap the screen to use them?

Thanks again for fielding all these questions. :)

Ooh, I have a question:

Is the basic movement/sword gameplay any different or more precise? My biggest complaint with OoT (and why I much prefer the more polished TP over it) has always been how wonky the controls are.

Neiteio said:
In regards to the interface, I'm not clear from what I read on how the touchscreen works regarding items. Do you have to assign items to a physical button before you can you use them, or can you also assign them to the two touchscreen buttons like the special moves in Street Fighter IV 3DE, and simply tap the screen to use them?

From what I recall, they functioned as if they were actual buttons, which gives you four inventory slots (one more than the original).

Neiteio said:
Thanks again for fielding all these questions. :)

My pleasure =)

Elfforkusu said:
Ooh, I have a question:

Is the basic movement/sword gameplay any different or more precise? My biggest complaint with OoT (and why I much prefer the more polished TP over it) has always been how wonky the controls are.

As far I could tell, they're exactly the same, if just a little more responsive because of the improved framerate. Also, controlling Link with the Circle Pad feels great.

redbarchetta said:
As far I could tell, they're exactly the same, if just a little more responsive because of the improved framerate. Also, controlling Link with the Circle Pad feels great.
Thanks.

"a little more responsive" is better than nothing, I'll take it.

Lots of new impressions:

http://www.destructoid.com/ocarina-of-time-3ds-much-closer-to-original-vision-198643.phtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/13/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-preview/

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/ocarina-of-time-3d/

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/26040

If Destructoid isn't lying, then I know why the game is only 30 fps. It supports anti-aliasing. AA is very hardware intensive even on PC. The 3DS's GPU is sweet, but it's not even close. Just like how PS2/GC/Xbox barely used AA in their day.

Pimpbaa

Cow Mengde said:
If Destructoid isn't lying, then I know why the game is only 30 fps. It supports anti-aliasing. AA is very hardware intensive even on PC. The 3DS's GPU is sweet, but it's not even close. Just like how PS2/GC/Xbox barely used AA in their day.

SSF4 on 3DS has AA when you are running the game in 2D mode.

Pimpbaa said:
SSF4 on 3DS has AA when you are running the game in 2D mode.

SSF4 is also running with only 2 characters on screen with a static background. I can run the PC version at near 100fps with 4x AA turned on for the same reason.

John

SCReuter said:
for old room comparison

67df07f294172133dd46e1f2121bbdfb43579265.jpg

i like the old moody one.

btrboyev

SSF4 is also running with only 2 characters on screen with a static background. I can run the PC version at near 100fps with 4x AA turned on for the same reason.

the background characters don't animate the backgrounds are not static, you're thinking about the iPhone version. The 3ds backgrounds are 3d

btrboyev said:
the background characters don't animate the backgrounds are not static, you're thinking about the iPhone version. The 3ds backgrounds are 3d

When I say static, I mean there's nothing going on there. The scope is nowhere near Hyrule field. The backgrounds are also confined in SSF4. Think about how big the village is compared to a background in SSF4, let alone Hyrule field.

When you think the the backgrounds in SSF4, think of them like the NEW interior rooms for the OOT remake. They are very confined even by the camera.

Thoraxes

Mistle said:
One thing I've noticed that is obvious is this comparison (but also many other areas), is the lack of fog and ambient lighting. The fog in that area gave it a really nice mystique atmosphere, however in the 3DS version it looks clear as day.

I noticed the lack of this in areas like Kokiri Forest and the Deku Tree also.
I think the fog would be a way of making up for the N64's lack of having extensive draw distances. So a smoke and mirrors-type deal.

Though in some smaller more confined places, yes, what you said is definitely the case.

Cipherr said:
Gamers 'fondly' remembering N64 fog?

I would have never ever, in a million years guessed this day would come.

Because a lack of resources in an artistic medium has never lead to increased ambiance, mood and thematic quality.

Oblivion said:
Also, I was holding out for remade music (not necessarily orchestrated) up until today. Now I have no hope. It's insulting Nintendo wouldn't bother with it.!
It's insulting Nintendo wouldn't bother changing what wasn't broken? They updated the graphics because the old graphics are butt ugly due to the old technology, but the music was just fine, it didn't sound bad at all.

I mean, does this really sound broken, like it desperately needs replacing?

Or this?

Or how about this?

Dreamwriter said:
It's insulting Nintendo wouldn't bother changing what wasn't broken? They updated the graphics because the old graphics are butt ugly due to the old technology, but the music was just fine, it didn't sound bad at all.

I mean, does this really sound broken, like it desperately needs replacing?

Or this?

Or how about this?

Indeed. I love orchestrated soundtracks as much as the next guy (Last Ranker *drool*), but it's certainly not as if OoT's music had bad sound quality or a bunch of compositional flaws or anything.

Re: Jabus lair being brighter.

I suspect a lot of the areas as a child will have been cleaned up and prettied a bit, perhaps to further emphasise the horror that 7 years of Ganondorf's rule has had once you travel forwards. I'd like to see an Okami kind of transformation in the future world when you clear an area, as the evil presence of Ganondorf wanes and areas regain beauty.

And for the love of pete, let us unfreeze Zoras Domain.

Android18a said:
Re: Jabus lair being brighter.

I suspect a lot of the areas as a child will have been cleaned up and prettied a bit, perhaps to further emphasise the horror that 7 years of Ganondorf's rule has had once you travel forwards. I'd like to see an Okami kind of transformation in the future world when you clear an area, as the evil presence of Ganondorf wanes and areas regain beauty.

And for the love of pete, let us unfreeze Zoras Domain.

Don't expect too much new stuff. It's a bare bones retelling of the original and not much more.

Nessus

People shouldn't think of this as a remake.

It's like Perfect Dark XBLA. Slightly updated, but not a complete overhaul.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If the game is now in 16/9, did they have to stretch the image, or reprogram it? Same question for Star Fox.

-KRS-

marc^o^ said:
If the game is now in 16/9, did they have to stretch the image, or reprogram it? Same question for Star Fox.

Both games use new engines for the 3DS. They're not ports. They're borderline remakes.

antonz

OOT on the go will be amazing. It is certainly going to be the system seller for a lot of hardcore gamers who also know a ton of other great games coming down the road.

Mistle

mysteriousmage09 said:
So $300 to play OOT?
I'm sure there will be many games in the consoles lifetime that he will want. Speaking for myself, the reason I bought a 3DS so early was also purely for OoT, but it doesn't mean it's the only game I will ever buy.

jarosh

marc^o^ said:
dude. it's a 3d engine. why would they stretch it or "re-program" it? they just extend the view, zoom in or out etc. there's nothing to it.

John said:
i like the old moody one.

me too. everything in the 3DS version looks great except for the forest temple, and since that was the best part (the whole game was the best part, but you know what i mean), there will always be a place for the original. yay

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the last time I played this was after beating the Wind Waker the first time round and for some reason I just got bored of it. Maybe years of reading all that praise got to me and I just didn't feel the magic. I may pick this up to give OoT another chance.

CassSept

Some people also seem to forget that generally 3D images are darker, if OoT 3DS would be as dark in some places as the original one was you wouldn't see shit after turning 3D on.

Top Bottom