• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Bizzyb

Banned
CassSept said:
Some people also seem to forget that generally 3D images are darker, if OoT 3DS would be as dark in some places as the original one was you wouldn't see shit after turning 3D on.

Resident Evil Revelations is a dark game you know....

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
CassSept said:
Some people also seem to forget that generally 3D images are darker, if OoT 3DS would be as dark in some places as the original one was you wouldn't see shit after turning 3D on.
On the 3DS this is actually false. When you switch from 2D to 3D you have a brief change in brightness but, after the second or so it takes, the 3D picture gets as bright as the 2D one... if not more. Check this on any 3D photo (possibly one at decent quality, noticing it with the blurry pics you take with the camera could be a little bit harder).

I can't believe I missed Master Quest was included with this. Might actually consider getting it now, especially since for me personally the graphics seem to be getting progressively better. it was harder for me to tell how much has been improved from shots in dungeons where everything still seems to be the same besides everything being brighter (probably to compensate for the 3D effects).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dreamwriter said:
It's insulting Nintendo wouldn't bother changing what wasn't broken? They updated the graphics because the old graphics are butt ugly due to the old technology, but the music was just fine, it didn't sound bad at all.

I mean, does this really sound broken, like it desperately needs replacing?

Or this?

Or how about this?
I don't care much about updated music, but God some sfx were horribly grating. I really hope they bothered to overhaul a bit at least the most annoying ones.

Never played the game so im really looking forward to it, hopefully the 3d is as good as pilotwings it will be like holding the world in your hands.

nofi

supermackem said:
Never played the game so im really looking forward to it, hopefully the 3d is as good as pilotwings it will be like holding the world in your hands.

I'm jealous of people that haven't played OoT. It's a magical, overwhelmingly brilliant game - I just wish it was all going to be new for me now like it was back then.

Utako

Banned
Not my favorite Zelda by a long shot, but hey, I need a real game on my 3DS, and this is close enough. Day 1

nofi said:
I'm jealous of people that haven't played OoT. It's a magical, overwhelmingly brilliant game - I just wish it was all going to be new for me now like it was back then.

Yeah im looking forward to it, when it came out i wouldnt have been caught dead playing an rpg. I also traded in my n64 for a ps1 and porche challenge, ohhh what a stupid young kid i was.

Luigiv

Jocchan said:
On the 3DS this is actually false. When you switch from 2D to 3D you have a brief change in brightness but, after the second or so it takes, the 3D picture gets as bright as the 2D one... if not more. Check this on any 3D photo (possibly one at decent quality, noticing it with the blurry pics you take with the camera could be a little bit harder).
That's because the back light doubles in intensity when you turn 3D on (as to keep consistent with the bottom screen).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Luigiv said:
That's because the back light doubles in intensity when you turn 3D on (as to keep consistent with the bottom screen).
Exactly, and it's the reason why the battery gets drained significantly faster. What I meant is that the 3D image you see is not darker.

Mafro

From The Dust said:
For those who never played the N64 games, make sure you play Majora's Mask right afterwards. It's better than OoT
I hope they bring that out on 3DS at some point. It would be strange not to, since they already have the engine and a bunch of assets.

4zQ6S.jpg

CassSept

Jocchan said:
Really? When I played with 3DS I felt it was a little darker, but then again I'm still playing on the console pretty rarely as my eyes are only adjusting to the 3D effect. Maybe when I'm completely accustomed to it I'll see there is really no difference. Sorry for that then.

supermackem said:
Yeah im looking forward to it, when it came out i wouldnt have been caught dead playing an rpg. I also traded in my n64 for a ps1 and porche challenge, ohhh what a stupid young kid i was.
Haha, I distinctly remember buying and playing Porsche Challenge on my PS1, thought it was fun, though!

For those who never played the N64 games, make sure you play Majora's Mask right afterwards. It's better than OoT
They complement each other perfectly. Both equally awesome and different.

Cronee

This game is one of the main reasons I bought a 3DS. Slightly off topic, am I the only one who wants to see Zelda: LTTP ported in 3D?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
CassSept said:
Really? When I played with 3DS I felt it was a little darker, but then again I'm still playing on the console pretty rarely as my eyes are only adjusting to the 3D effect. Maybe when I'm completely accustomed to it I'll see there is really no difference. Sorry for that then.
I actually experimented a bit before posting that, just to be sure. I had the distinct impression that, with 3D on, the pictures were overall brighter (after the short adjustment due to the switch).

Luigiv

Jocchan said:
I actually experimented a bit before posting that, just to be sure. I had the distinct impression that, with 3D on, the pictures were overall brighter (after the short adjustment due to the switch).
Also the colour balance is more accurate in 3D mode, just whilst we're on the topic. For whatever reason, the parallax barrier dulls blue more then green and red, so blue has been over saturated to compensate.

beje

Banned
Christopher said:
<3 great minds think alike Twilight Princess was AWFUL.

Not really awful but more like "I wish I could finish this dungeon and the deja-vu feeling ASAP so I can continue with the story"

If LoZ:SS doesn't fix that, it's the end of the saga for me.

Christopher

_Alkaline_ said:
Awfully good, I agree.

How it was boring paint by the numbers Zelda, there were no memorable characters, no good music ...the formula finally felt stale at that point. It also didn't help that the transition from anime to realism sucked the life out of it.

Christopher said:
How it was boring paint by the numbers Zelda, there were no memorable characters, no good music ...the formula finally felt stale at that point. It also didn't help that the transition from anime to realism sucked the life out of it.

Aren't you the guy who liked Sonic 06?

Edit: No memorable characters? Was Midna a figment of my imagination?

Christopher said:
By the numbers =/= awful. It just speaks more of you being tired of the formula than there actually being inherent flaws IN the formula.

Don't see how you can say there weren't any memorable characters or no good music, but at least those are better complaints for your evaluation of the game's quality.

NEO0MJ

Christopher said:

Wait, what was so anime about Zelda before?

Alrus

beje said:
Not really awful but more like "I wish I could finish this dungeon and the deja-vu feeling ASAP so I can continue with the story"

If LoZ:SS doesn't fix that, it's the end of the saga for me.

What? The dungeon were the best part of TP, the story ruined an intriguing villain when they shoehorned ganondorf in and made the other one "craaaaazyyy" blegh :/

What you describe is exactly how I felt with Okami though, the dungeons were shit :/

Cronee said:
This game is one of the main reasons I bought a 3DS. Slightly off topic, am I the only one who wants to see Zelda: LTTP ported in 3D?
I want to see every damn NES and SNES game ported to the 3DS in 3D. But we may be talking about two different types of 3D. Are you talking about converting that game to 3D like OoT? Because I just want the backgrounds and foregrounds on different planes, not changing the gameplay or sprites at all.

Grampasso

blame space said:
110xq.jpg

best non-playable moment in gaming history?

*young Link defiant grunt*
It's the second for me.
The best one though is its 2D counterpart in A Link to the Past, with Link raising the Master Sword emitting evergrowing rays of light and vanquishing the fog from the Lost Woods.
Priceless.

Top Bottom