• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

DarkPanda

Prime Blue said:
erzuqc.png
These 2 pictures look exactly the same.

Prime Blue said:
Why does the Temple of Time look better in the N64 version? The remake has less geometry and blander textures.

Prime Blue said:
These are the only comparisons that show a clear visual distinction between the 2 versions.

I think Nintendo is being a little too faithful with the port. It may look better in motion, but so many of the new shots just look like a higher-resolution version of the original. The polygon models may be smoother, but so many times it looks like they're using the exact same textures from the original. Come on Nintendo, at least use decent textures for the walls and floors and not the same muddy mess from the N64.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Apparently Nintendo outsourced development to Grezzo. I can give them a pass since they aren't directly responsible for it. It's also an enhanced whatchamacallit, not a straight-up remake so yeah, negligible differences are in line with what is to be expected.

DarkPanda said:
These 2 pictures look exactly the same.

Why does the Temple of Time look better in the N64 version? The remake has less geometry and blander textures.

These are the only comparisons that show a clear visual distinction between the 2 versions.

I think Nintendo is being a little too faithful with the port. It may look better in motion, but so many of the new shots just look like a higher-resolution version of the original. The polygon models may be smoother, but so many times it looks like they're using the exact same textures from the original. Come on Nintendo, at least use decent textures for the walls and floors and not the same muddy mess from the N64.
GTFOEntourage.gif

Exact same textures? Do you happen to smoke crack?

Also, I bet that they just made the temple of time a bit darker and I bet that if you look at it from a different angle you will see that it is a lot better looking.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wouldn't say that the Temple of Time looks better in the N64 pics... it's just that the 3DS ones are much darker, so its harder to see the details on the walls.

Yeah that's right, an actual zone in OOT 3DS where its darker than the original. Shocking.

Bisnic said:
I wouldn't say that the Temple of Time looks better in the N64 pics... it's just that the 3DS ones are much darker, so its harder to see the details on the walls.

Yeah that's right, an actual zone in OOT 3DS where its darker than the original. Shocking.

Yeah, I actually like the look of the new one. I feel like the stone walls actaully look.. like stone.

Disguises

Oh dear! Here we go! Thread starting to take a downward turn! Nnoooo. Lets talk more about the new screens.

EDIT: Thanks Serenade :D

UltimateIke said:
Ocarina-of-Time-41.jpg

Why are the map and some random icon on the playing screen??? Put that crap on the touch screen!
I believe the map is toggle-able.

The "random icon" is the A button. Since it's context sensitive, they probably didn't want you having to look down at the 2D screen constantly to see if you can interact with an object.

Disguises

ShockingAlberto said:

The "random icon" is the A button. Since it's context sensitive, they probably didn't want you having to look down at the 2D screen constantly to see if you can interact with an object.
Oh good. If only Navi was toggle-able :/

ShockingAlberto said:

Then do like Fable and have the A button float over your head and tell you what you can do. :(

I hate that we have two screens and they still have to fill up every space with buttons and maps and notifications and whatever other nonsense they can come up with.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
User33 said:
I officially want this game now.

So any word at all on new dungeons? New items?
An Iwata Asks glossed over OoT3D and mentioned they have things in this version that weren't in the original, iirc. That could mean anything though so it's best to keep your expectations in che- oh my god Light Dungeon am confirm

wrowa

Serenade said:
An Iwata Asks glossed over OoT3D and mentioned they have things in this version that weren't in the original, iirc. That could mean anything though so it's best to keep your expectations in che- oh my god Light Dungeon am confirm
Master Quest wasn't in the original version. That's what he was referring to.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
UltimateIke said:
Then do like Fable and have the A button float over your head and tell you what you can do. :(

I hate that we have two screens and they still have to fill up every space with buttons and maps and notifications and whatever other nonsense they can come up with.
Well seeing as A means roll or put away 90% of the time, you're going to have a notification over Link's head literally all the time. In conclusion, that is a horrible idea.

It's just a small little icon in the corner, jesus.

Rich!

mysteriousmage09 said:
HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! WATCH OUT!

....HELLO!?

It's not just that which I'm personally worried about.

When I played Ocarina of Time 3DS back in Feburary, whenever you locked onto an enemy or an item with the L button, a flashing text saying 'NAVI' flashes at the bottom of the top screen. Most distracting shit ever.

Also, when I went into the rolling boulder area in Kokiri Forest, I encountered some nasty clipping when going around the maze-ish area - IN MY FACE IN 3D.

BGBW said:
Well seeing as A means roll or put away 90% of the time, you're going to have a notification over Link's head literally all the time. In conclusion, that is a horrible idea.

It's just a small little icon in the corner, jesus.
Since that's the case, it wouldn't need to tell you that. It would only need to show up when you can open a door or chest, talk to someone, read a sign, etc. You know I didn't mean for it to always be there. You don't need to be told how to roll or dive into the water.

richisawesome said:
It's not just that which I'm personally worried about.

When I played Ocarina of Time 3DS back in Feburary, whenever you locked onto an enemy or an item with the L button, a flashing text saying 'NAVI' flashes at the bottom of the top screen. Most distracting shit ever.
Even better!
Annoying Navi is best Navi.

wrowa

Serenade said:
Right, it's definitely one of the things Iwata was referring to. The way it's worded says that there are obviously a lot of other things too, which is why I said what I said.

edit: no I am not saying there is a light dungeon
"Of course, the Nintendo 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is crammed with interesting things that weren't in the Nintendo 64 version, but we'll wait to talk about those the release."

The wording is actually what makes me think that he's only referring to Master Quest. He specifically mentions "things that weren't in the Nintendo 64 version" - it's a clever way of stating that there actually isn't much content that is new.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Obviously one of the new features will be Mii support* in order to get a few more brownie points from reviewers.

*Random Miis will appear in the pictures located behind the left window in the Hyrule Castle courtyard.

Gravijah

BGBW said:
Obviously one of the new features will be Mii support* in order to get a few more brownie points from reviewers.

*Random Miis will appear in the pictures located behind the left window in the Hyrule Castle courtyard.

Or they can add in a Mii mask which changes based on your associated Mii.

Kuran

Banned
Serenade said:
Apparently Nintendo outsourced development to Grezzo. I can give them a pass since they aren't directly responsible for it. It's also an enhanced whatchamacallit, not a straight-up remake so yeah, negligible differences are in line with what is to be expected.

The game looks great in general, I just wished it would have been developed in-house so it would have that extra level of polish. A remake of OOT doesn't come along so often, so I would prefer them to delay the release so it receives extra polish. We shouldn't be able to nitpick this much about Nintendo's own PR shots.

And yeah, in my opinion this needs to be $20 on the network, not $40. Unless they add new dungeons and/or story.

How does Navi look flying over the screen in 3D? Should be great..

BGBW said:

Is it a bad thing that I'd find this cute <.< >.>

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
wrowa said:
"Of course, the Nintendo 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is crammed with interesting things that weren't in the Nintendo 64 version, but we'll wait to talk about those the release."

The wording is actually what makes me think that he's only referring to Master Quest. He specifically mentions "things that weren't in the Nintendo 64 version" - it's a clever way of stating that there actually isn't much content that is new.
I see what you mean. Of course, if he were to say "things that weren't in the Gamecube/xxxx version," it would seem a little odd as OoT is associated with the Nintendo 64. But yeah, it primarily implies the new content is Master Quest.

Thinking about it, I can't really see what they would add anyway. Hoping for any of the supposedly cut medallion dungeons would mess with the game structure if it weren't in its own separate mode. A completely optional dungeon ala LA DX would be cool but this isn't being made internally so I ain't betting on that.

Kuran said:
The game looks great in general, I just wished it would have been developed in-house so it would have that extra level of polish. A remake of OOT doesn't come along so often, so I would prefer them to delay the release so it receives extra polish. We shouldn't be able to nitpick this much about Nintendo's own PR shots.

And yeah, in my opinion this needs to be $20 on the network, not $40. Unless they add new dungeons and/or story.

How does Navi look flying over the screen in 3D? Should be great..
Seems like being an enhanced thingie and also having the original version on the Virtual Console has gives off the impression that it shouldn't be full-priced. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the potential pricing, but it will be the best version of a timeless classic game by a mile.

Rich!

trudderham said:
Some more screenshots I've managed to grab :D

Ocarina-of-Time-41.jpg

Ocarina-of-Time-110.jpg

Ocarina-of-Time-22.jpg

Hyrule Field looks absolutely incredible, hoooly shit. And the castle courtyard - will Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Yoshi still be in the corridors? Hmm.

Rich!

StickSoldier said:
I'm super exciter for this. After seeing how Rayman 2 was with 3D, I expect this to take it to another level.

It's really good. Impressed me a lot when I played it, but I noticed a bit of ghosting with Link inside the Deku Tree.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Chet Rippo said:
He does seem to have pretty thick forearms in a lot of the official art.
B3An8.jpg

9Cfy1.jpg

Yeah, he does.. He looks like a little bodybuilder, so I guess that's why he has massive forearms in the game.

richisawesome said:
It's really good. Impressed me a lot when I played it, but I noticed a bit of ghosting with Link inside the Deku Tree.

Good to hear. Rayman would have ghosting too, but it didn't bother me too much luckily.

Rich!

StickSoldier said:
Good to hear. Rayman would have ghosting too, but it didn't bother me too much luckily.

I got ghosting with Pilotwings too - but I don't now that I own it. Maybe I was tired when I went to the event.

What impressed me the most was Kokiri Forest - it really does feel magical with all those flying pollen things floating around in full 3D - it's superb. My only real worry is the 'NAVI' text that would distract me every single time I targeted something.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
PKrockin said:
Ugh... I'm pretty disappointed with how this game turned out visually considering it's not even 60FPS.
It's an enhanced thingie, forreal and no 3D Zelda has run at 60 guys.

richisawesome said:

I think I figured out why they made a lot of the environments brighter in this version, it's to minimize ghosting! The only time I encountered severe ghosting in 3DS games was in dark environments (e.g. evening or night time and inside caves in Pilotwings Resort). Any time you have a bright object (e.g. your character, an enemy or a item) in front of a dark background then ghosting is likely to rear its ugly head.

So by using a brighter color palette whenever possible the developers can minimize ghosting/cross-talk in 3D mode.

It's an unfortunate technical issue of the 3D screen on the 3DS, but it doesn't mean developers can't design dark environments in games without ghosting, I guess they would just need to avoid having the player character and interactive elements appear brighter than they realistically should be (which is not typical of Nintendo games). I can imagine games with realistic art direction, like Metal Gear Solid for example, pulling off dark/moody environments without ghosting.

Top Bottom