• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

king zell

is't just me on Link's ears are a little bit too big?

2z4znr7.png

smu4g9.png

Ocarina-of-Time-110.jpg

Naked Snake said:
I think I figured out why they made a lot of the environments brighter in this version, it's to minimize ghosting! The only time I encountered severe ghosting in 3DS games was in dark environments (e.g. evening or night time and inside caves in Pilotwings Resort). Any time you have a bright object (e.g. your character, an enemy or a item) in front of a dark background then ghosting is likely to rear its ugly head.

So by using a brighter color palette whenever possible the developers can minimize ghosting/cross-talk in 3D mode.

It's an unfortunate technical issue of the 3D screen on the 3DS, but it doesn't mean developers can't design dark environments in games without ghosting, I guess they would just need to avoid having the player character and interactive elements appear brighter than they realistically should be (which is not typical of Nintendo games). I can imagine games with realistic art direction, like Metal Gear Solid for example, pulling off dark/moody environments without ghosting.

Resident Evil should do quite well also. The ghosting seems to be getting worse the more tired I am, so I guess it has a lot to do with your eyes actually losing focus or getting confused by light that is destined for the other eye.

Jackano

king zell said:
is't just me on Link's ears are a little bit too big?

This has been discussed a while ago, it appears that Link's new design is undoubfully much closer to the originals artworks than the 1998 version.

The brightening of everything is to compensate for people playing on a lower brightness setting. Every time a game has been moved to a handheld by Nintendo, has been given a brighter colour palette.

8828.jpg

0.jpg

33993_A_Link_To_The_Past_2_Past_Harder-s500x438-100480-580.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-w-the-four-swords-20040812013550772_640w.jpg

Rich!

Nuclear Muffin said:
The brightening of everything is to compensate for people playing on a lower brightness setting. Every time a game has been moved to a handheld by Nintendo, has been given a brighter colour palette.

8828.jpg

0.jpg

33993_A_Link_To_The_Past_2_Past_Harder-s500x438-100480-580.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-w-the-four-swords-20040812013550772_640w.jpg

Only because the GBA's screen was shit and had no backlight. I give you this example, which was designed with the SP in mind:

gfs_24375_2_1.jpg

gfs_24375_2_15.jpg

Same brightness as the SNES version. And thankfully, Flagship added in a 'dark' mode for ALTTP, which made the brightness identical to the SNES ALTTP.

Mrbob

Ok this seems more like a remake than a port, so I'm not as angry about it being 40 bucks now. I'd still like to see something like this a little cheaper but I never played Master's Quest so at least I'll get some new content out of this package.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
you've changed

can't pull the trigger anymore? not a man? you gonna leave the game?
Why are you such a mean person? :(

Anyway, some of these most recent screens look just fantastic. I can't wait for this to release.

Twilight Princess said:
cool, looks better than twilight princess
Ha. It's funny, because, you know.

Why are databases so boring?

Naked Snake said:
I think I figured out why they made a lot of the environments brighter in this version, it's to minimize ghosting! The only time I encountered severe ghosting in 3DS games was in dark environments (e.g. evening or night time and inside caves in Pilotwings Resort). Any time you have a bright object (e.g. your character, an enemy or a item) in front of a dark background then ghosting is likely to rear its ugly head.

So by using a brighter color palette whenever possible the developers can minimize ghosting/cross-talk in 3D mode.

It's an unfortunate technical issue of the 3D screen on the 3DS, but it doesn't mean developers can't design dark environments in games without ghosting, I guess they would just need to avoid having the player character and interactive elements appear brighter than they realistically should be (which is not typical of Nintendo games). I can imagine games with realistic art direction, like Metal Gear Solid for example, pulling off dark/moody environments without ghosting.

I did notice ghosting a lot more in Rayman when he was in a dark area, so this makes sense.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
Why are you such a mean person? :(

Anyway, some of these most recent screens look just fantastic. I can't wait for this to release.

THIS IS BETWEEN ME AND SURGEON ROCKET, ANIME AVATAR

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
THIS IS BETWEEN ME AND SURGEON ROCKET, ANIME AVATAR
But... but...

okay.jpg

;_;

You shut your mouth. Raven is cute.

Jerk.

Has additional content been confirmed for the game yet? I know there have been rumors and kind of halfhearted commitments but do we know anything for sure?

Utako

Banned
Clott said:
I don't like the changes to the intro! terrible change. The whole point of that scene is it's after sun set or right before sun rise, and we see link by himself toiling away. By changing the color scheme and making it brighter you ruin all the atmosphere, there is a reason the into is set to THIS music.

I am worried they are starting to change things just for the sake of changing things.

33lnjo7.png
I didn't like that either. Hopefully it's a cool dynamic thing...

I'm impressed by the large number of texture updates.

Clott

This will be the first time I can experience the small hidden scene everyone talks about, the one where you find a dying soldier in an alley and spend his final moments with him.

I never knew that existed until someone on showed it to me o youtube, you guy know what I am talking about, right?

Clott said:
This will be the first time I can experience the small hidden scene everyone talks about, the one where you find a dying soldier in an alley and spend his final moments with him.

I never knew that existed until someone on showed it to me o youtube, you guy know what I am talking about, right?
I did that on my most recent run through last year, it was a glorious moment. Now I'll have to do it every time a start a new file.

PKrockin

Clott said:

I played through the game like 6 times and I never saw that scene.

Props for the avatar btw

Clott said:
I don't like the changes to the intro! terrible change. The whole point of that scene is it's after sun set or right before sun rise, and we see link by himself toiling away. By changing the color scheme and making it brighter you ruin all the atmosphere, there is a reason the into is set to THIS music.

I am worried they are starting to change things just for the sake of changing things.

33lnjo7.png
But, you are first showing an intro screen where the background has been dimmed so they can show the game's logo, and then some random screenshot that happens to have been taken from a similar place, but of course without the logo so no need to have darkened anything.

watershed

Banned
Clott said:

That is truly an awesome scene and so touching. its amazing the kind of story and emotions Nintendo was able to create in Ocarina of Time with minimal use of cut scenes.

Cronee

The Lamonster said:
I want to see every damn NES and SNES game ported to the 3DS in 3D. But we may be talking about two different types of 3D. Are you talking about converting that game to 3D like OoT? Because I just want the backgrounds and foregrounds on different planes, not changing the gameplay or sprites at all.

Oh god no, I would hate to see it ruined in such a fashion. I want it to have the same isometric view but with the 3D depth added. Similar to how Ghost Recon looks on the 3DS.

Back on topic.. I can't believe how they've spruced up the 3DS version. It's really giving more depth and immersion, I think at least.

Stylo

The soldier in the alley dialogue is cool but it is seriously overrated in terms of emotional impact especially compared to Majora's Mask.

WOW at the intro screen comparison. I really hope that's not the new intro. The new screen has none of the atmosphere from the first. It's early morning. :\

Izayoi

Banned
Stylo said:
WOW at the intro screen comparison. I really hope that's not the new intro. The new screen has none of the atmosphere from the first. It's early morning. :\
The whole game is brighter, so it might just be a side effect of that. I don't think that they changed the time of day or anything.

Ezduo

Banned
Shit, I hope the Forest and Shadow temples don't get fucked over by this brightening. All the temples had a pretty dark and creepy atmosphere actually, one of the reasons I really love the game.

Stylo

Izayoi said:
The whole game is brighter, so it might just be a side effect of that. I don't think that they changed the time of day or anything.

But the lighting affects the mood of a scene.

DarkPanda

mysteriousmage09 said:
HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! WATCH OUT!

....HELLO!?

Believe it or not, I have this as the notification sound on my phone. Navi is awesome.

polyh3dron said:
Exact same textures? Do you happen to smoke crack?

Look at the horse's hair, young Zelda's face, the walls in the Deku Tree dungeon, the wooden planks on bridges, and some of the 2D sprites. If they're not direct copies of the N64 game, they're very close and way too low-res and blurry.

Bradach

I can't wait for this game! I have a question about the master quest. I plan on finishing OoT for the first time. Should I choose master quest? I want to actually enjoy playing the game so if the only real benefit is that it's harder maybe it's not for me. Will master quest make any other difference to someone that hasn't completed OoT already?

Nintendawg

Neo Member
Hey guys, you see those screens that you're comparing the a fully fleshed out video game intro? They were released nearly a year ago. At the reveal.

I highly doubt that OOT's intro had always been what you see there from the very start.
Like someone has said a few posts back. Wait and see.

Also, I'm inclined to agree with the Princess Zelda thing.
Stop trying to defend it, and take a step back. We all know that this game is a graphical upgrade, but I believe that Zelda may have gotten the short end of the stick here.
The textures have changed, but that isn't really noticeable. On top of this, they wanted to stick with the concept art, so her head remains smooth. This gives the illusion that her eyes are still just textures.

Also her head is oddly misshapen. Just like the concept art. Joy.

Whatever the matter, I still can't wait for this game to hit. The only thing about it is that the quality seems inconsistent. While some parts are obviously a vast improvement, others seem like no work was done at all. It's weird.

Pappasman

I really don't think WW would benefit much from the 3DS. They should go back to that style on the Wii 2. WW on Dolphin is amazing.

Rekubot said:
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/25598/legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-artwork/

Pretty much every OoT artwork ever in high quality. Absolutely beautiful.

One day, we'll get a HD port of OoT (it's what Nintendo do) and it will mimic this artwork exactly. And it will be gorgeous.
Absolutely beautiful indeed, I wish Nintendo sold art books for their games.
On a somewhat related note I always felt that the NPC design in Twilight Princess was a huge step down from Ocarina and Wind Waker (enemy designs however were fine).

Platy

Clott said:

33lnjo7.png

....nobody said that screen was from the intro

There is no river next to then, there is no logo, this isn't at night ...

Top Bottom