• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Announcement: 75192 UCS Millennium Falcon

CHC

I question how good an investment this will be.

Everyone knows how much the old one went up, and will be buying for just that reason.

Still doesn't change the fact that in 10 years, buying second hand will be the only way to get it. Granted, I wouldn't expect another bubble of $5000 Falcons, but I can imagine getting $3000 for an unopened one (years down the line, obviously) without much fuss.

The only thing that might affect the price is the knowledge that Lego is beginning to revise and update older UCS sets. They did it with the Snowspeeder and they're doing it again here. So if you're not married to this particular UCS Falcon, some prospective buyers might just want to wait another 10-15 years for them to make a new version.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It kind of isn't, though. The "average" Lego price is 10 cents per part. Usually small licensed sets tend to cost a little more than that (ie; Jakku Quadjumper - 457 pieces for $49.99), while large sets tend to be on the lower side (ie; Assembly Square - 4002 pieces for $279).

I definitely think this is on the overpriced side, but I'm sure it took a lot of Lego's resources and they know the fans will pay. The price is so far over the "impulse purchase" line that those who want it will find a way to make it work.

Agreed. $699.99 would have gotten it just below that $0.10/piece and made it look a lot more reasonable. Especially since pretty much all the pieces added to it from the original UCS are tiny detail pieces.

It kind of isn't, though. The "average" Lego price is 10 cents per part. Usually small licensed sets tend to cost a little more than that (ie; Jakku Quadjumper - 457 pieces for $49.99), while large sets tend to be on the lower side (ie; Assembly Square - 4002 pieces for $279).

I definitely think this is on the overpriced side, but I'm sure it took a lot of Lego's resources and they know the fans will pay. The price is so far over the "impulse purchase" line that those who want it will find a way to make it work.

Assembly Square isn’t really a fair comparison, modulars and LEGO non-licensed sets are always cheaper.

Plum

EDIT: Realised I should have converted the currencies first. I'll make a new post in a bit.

CHC

Assembly Square isn't really a fair comparison, modulars and LEGO non-licensed sets are always cheaper.

Well, yeah, of course licensing is going to cost them, as well as the logistics of the packaging (whole new box shape, it looks like) and printing instructions, bags, etc. But I do think $649 or $699 would have been a little easier to swallow.

Tiny detail pieces shouldnt count as .10 cents per piece, they should go the modular building route and count them as .7 cents. A bunch of extra detail isnt worth $300 imo. But its star wars so I guess they'd figure people will buy it as long as its lower than the aftermarket prices of the original.

DeviantBoi

vI4KYj9.gif

Was that staged?

Or did he try to be funny and then really dropped it by mistake?

TheMan

Ugh, this is a toy for man children

That said I'd buy an similarly sized xwing for a couple hundred, they're much cooler looking

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Anyone on the fence should consider the fact that it will be worth much more than you paid for it a few years after it is discontinued, provided you keep all the pieces, instructions, and maybe the box.

If you're buying one for that, you might as well not even open the box lol.

3N16MA

Banned
Price to piece is less than 11 cents USD. Not bad considering Star Wars tax.

This set was always going to carry a high price tag simply because of the piece count.

CHC

I hope it doesn't because fuck people who buy this shit to make money off of people who wanted one but could not get it.

Normally I hate scalping, but in the case of Lego, I kind of can't get mad, for two big reasons.

Firstly, Lego sets are almost never, ever logistically hard to get. I expect this will be available for at least 2 to 3 years, and might only be sold out for a very small amount of that time. Even if someone with absolutely no cash learned about the set today, they could start setting aside a couple bucks a day and still manage to buy one before it goes out of production.

Secondly, the only people paying tons of money for old sets with boxes and instructions are people who collect for the sake of it. If all you want is the actual model, you can get the instructions and Bricklink the vast majority of the pieces for (probably) about the kit's retail price. So if people want the "new Lego" experience, I don't think it's unfair for them to have to pay a premium once Lego stops making a given set.

Fuchsdh

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE DOLLARS

Jesus, even for a LEGO set that's some crazy money. I shudder to think how much this will be out of print...

Woorloog

Banned
Probably gonna be around 1050€ here in Finland and other countries in EU where Legos cost considerably more than in other places.
A set that goes for 110€ in Germany can easily go for 140€ here, about 30% price increase. Of course, that is not a hard and fast rule, it could even more expensive...

3N16MA

Banned
Buy two. Build one, leave one unopenend and sell it for double the price a few years later. Free falcon.

In theory.

I'm sure these will increase in price once retired but nowhere close to the original.

These will be hoarded for investment purposes while the original wasn't.

I'm AOK being happy with the Falcon that I already have.

This looks GREAT, but it's clearly aimed at collectors with Big Wallets.

CHC

It's still a good investment even if you do want to open it. You're basically renting it on deposit in the absolute worst case, lol....

Guarantee that you could buy this, build it, throw away the packaging, and then sell it in ziploc bags with the instruction booklets and still manage to profit by a couple hundred bucks once it's out of production. That's exactly what I did with the 10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle - bought it on a lark and then sold it once I got tired of looking at it. I think I made 100 bucks profit, and got to build and enjoy displaying the set for 3 years.

I'm sure these will increase in price once retired but nowhere close to the original.

These will be hoarded for investment purposes while the original wasn't.

Probably, yeah. And I'm sure the profit margin is huge for Lego, so they will produce as many as it needs to fulfill all orders. For years probably.

Megasoum

Banned
At the end of the day I think I'm good with my Saturn V set.

Great looking set, really big, no stickers and 750$ cheaper...

SummitAve

Banned
Kinda meh on the design and totally meh at the price. I was expecting something a little more grand I guess. Saturn v is a better lego spaceship at a fraction of the price imo.

F34R

Exactly. Taking it apart will be so much more work than it was putting it together lol.

zH8DbML.jpg

Out of stock though, so you would be paying about $300 on the aftermarket.

I still have that one in a sealed box.

Will wait for LEPIN version on AliExpress. Although it's probably already out somehow knowing those guys.

I'm telling ya. The price difference between Lepin vs Lego, might be made up with the sorting of parts lol. If you can get it from Lepin, in a box, in marked bags.. then I'd go for that. Otherwise, trying to sort those 7500+ randomly bagged pieces is a BITCH.

CHC

Anyone remember when the big Lego sets had those flip-open tops with a window underneath where you could check out the minifigs and some select pieces? That was cool. Wish they'd do it for this set.

DBT85

Yep, will be ordering. Probably going to blow more tomorrow with triple points.

This shall go nicely with Red Five and TIE, still have Slave 1 to build.

I may also build in Brutal mode as I did with the TIE. #MixTheBags

Py2TuBO.jpg

Probably going in for investment. Don't expect it to hit 5k, but even at double a few years down the road it'll be worth it.

Worst case it doesn't appreciate and then I build it and sell it around what I paid for it.

I know it sucks to be that guy, but the hustle with Lego is real.

Top Bottom