• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Announcement: 75192 UCS Millennium Falcon

That price. I wonder how much it actually costs to manufacture.
And how many hours it took the designers to create it and refine it. And how many hours for their graphic designer to make the prints and instructions. Or design the packaging.
There is a helluva lot of stuff besides just cost of materials that goes into these things. And it is those things that Lepin steals and doesn't have to foot the bill for.

I have space
I don't have the spare money
I have a girlfriend who will not be happy

decisions decisions, get abuse for 6 months and have the coolest lego set ever, or not have the coolest lego set ever and be happy with my smaller lego falcon

If I can afford $900 I can afford ear plugs too right?

valkyre

well it looks great obviously (although the back engine cover was fugly before and it is still fugly, and the underside is as flat and barren as ever) but this is also a test from Lego imo.

the 800$ pricetag is an experiment. If it pays off (and it most certainly will) then I dont really know where that will lead us into the future.

7500 parts lego set is an insane thing to happen. It might even make 4000 part sets the "norm" eventually... which is not a good thing IMO.

2000-2500 part sets is at the moment the "norm" when it comes to UCS/Modulars etc. I am ok with the occasional 4k part set, but with the new MF even those sets pale in comparison.

I am not really sure what to think if this turns out to be true. Both in terms of price and size/space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the money.

I don't have the space.

What should I do?

It really is huge - just saw it in person at the nearby lego store. Its like 3ft wide maybe? I can't see it fitting on any normal shelf unless you put it on edge. The 'under a glass covered coffee table' is probably the best option, as crazy as that sounds.

Makes my Imperial Shuttle look tiny

Fliesen

i mean,
i could totally afford that.
I'd would love to build that.
- but this thing is way too huge, and way too 'horizontal' to be put anywhere, really.

It's why i love my Slave 1 and Imperial Shuttle. Thos are models you can put somewhere high on a wall and they look absolutely fantastic - this looks rather shitty unless looked upon from the top. :/
It's the issue with many Lego models - and Star Wars spaceships - the underside is an after thought, and they're very long / wide and not very tall.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd love to build that, but then it would be a $800 paper weight that just sits in the house and does nothing. Lots of other more functional things to spend $800 on right now.

Thats always been my problem with Legos, the fun goes by fast then they just sit. I have the Magic Kingdom just sitting in our master closet lol

DonShula

well it looks great obviously (although the back engine cover was fugly before and it is still fugly, and the underside is as flat and barren as ever) but this is also a test from Lego imo.

the 800$ pricetag is an experiment. If it pays off (and it most certainly will) then I dont really know where that will lead us into the future.

7500 parts lego set is an insane thing to happen. It might even make 4000 part sets the "norm" eventually... which is not a good thing IMO.

2000-2500 part sets is at the moment the "norm" when it comes to UCS/Modulars etc. I am ok with the occasional 4k part set, but with the new MF even those sets pale in comparison.

I am not really sure what to think if this turns out to be true. Both in terms of price and size/space.

I doubt the large sets become the norm. They'll ride the prestige of this set for awhile.

But there will be a $1k set within five years if this set sells well.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Why is 4000 becoming the norm not a good thing? I am extremely happy we are out of the dark ages of tiny Leto sets and now into the glorious days of huge sets.

Maybe one day we will get a legit good Hogwarts Castle

After reading stories about how people were being dicks last night and nabbing multiple of the same Lego sets, I'm just gonna do the VIP thing and order this online.

So if we order it on Sept. 14, is it a pre order or can we possibly get it before Oct 1?

I just had a thought. This is complete speculation but I’ll spoiler tag it anyway because people are crazy.

What if the Falcon is destroyed in the next Star Wars movie and this is being made as a form of farewell?

DBT85

I just had a thought. This is complete speculation but I’ll spoiler tag it anyway because people are crazy.

What if the Falcon is destroyed in the next Star Wars movie and this is being made as a form of farewell?

I think it's just being made as a form of "Fuck you give me money". I doubt it's anything else.

muteki

Happy that there is a new largest/biggest/most detailed set released but wish it was something I was interested in.

DBT85

Yes, come to the Lego OT on the community side and be kept up to date on all the rumors
and get peer pressured to buy lots of stuff by enablers
Don't, save yourselves. I've only known these people 3 months and I'll be £2300 down by the the 14th.

papluh

That price. I wonder how much it actually costs to manufacture.

For LEGO ? On average their direct production costs are about 28% from revenue. One can check it on their site in the Annual Report from 2016.
Worth noting is that the revenue is for The LEGO Group alone, so not including the retail margin that is part of the sticker price. How big part? that is a closely guarded business secret, but is not unheard of the big retail players having 50% margin.
Also they still produce majority of LEGO outside China and while Mexico or Czech Republic are not as expensive as Denmark they are still lot more than China. And that is not only direct wages but environmental, social,... regulations.

Hagi

I'm thankful it's £650 because we are saving for a house right now so it would sit for a long time before I could build it and it's bloody huge so when I did, I'd have no idea where to put it.

I'm still hoping for a revamped Cloud City for the next UCS.

To anyone who played the Lego Star Wars games, how does the Millenium Falcon that is depicted in that game measure up if it were real compared to the more recent versions that Lego has released? For that matter, how do all the vehicles in general stack up to their real life counterparts? That new Millenium Falcon looks sick as hell, but that price. Yeesh!

F34R

I struggled for 4 hours this morning to even get my VIP account logged in lol. I finally got it, and was able to get an order in. Says it was on back-order though, so I won't be getting it any time soon. Now it's showing temporarily out of stock.

Koren

Damn...will they have a restock on October 1st? Can we order at all right now?
Right now, I think it's out of stock. It'll probably be possible to order it on October 1st, but I guess as a backordered product.

The bottom of this Falcon has almost no detail, it's gonna look awful hanging unless you are willing to try and hang it sideways
Upside down :D

Honestly, I really, really hope someone will find a way to design a sturdy support to put it sideways.

For LEGO ? On average their direct production costs are about 28% from revenue. One can check it on their site in the Annual Report from 2016.
Worth noting is that the revenue is for The LEGO Group alone, so not including the retail margin that is part of the sticker price. How big part? that is a closely guarded business secret, but is not unheard of the big retail players having 50% margin.
This one is D2C, though... So their margin is higher. I wonder how much is the Disney tax, though.

But there will be a $1k set within five years if this set sells well.
I wouldn't be surprised, but at the same time, I truly wonder what could sell decently at that price...

ghostmind

Picked one up (store got 22 sets), after standing in line for 4 hours:

09M0bsEr.jpg

Pictured with the wheeled dolly for getting it out of the LEGO store.

ghostmind

you lucky son of a gun

The lego store? Only VIP members can buy right now correct?

That is correct. And it's worth buying it as a VIP member, even after today (until the end of the year), as you will get a special VIP card that is supposed to give discounts and offers (possibly including exclusive promo sets) for the duration of 2018.

Koren

The lego store? Only VIP members can buy right now correct?
Yes, but I wonder if you need to be VIP before the time of release. It's very possible you can just register to the program now (it's free and easy, a matter of seconds in a store, probably not much more online) then order it.

In any case, it would be stupid to pass on the $40 rebate... (you get 5% for each purchase on subsequent ones)

as you will get a special VIP card that is supposed to give discounts and offers (possibly including exclusive promo sets) for the duration of 2018.
The card will be a nice touch, but I fully expect the special offers to be disappointing.

Top Bottom