• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes |OT| Cosmic Brick Your Console

SInce this is my first lego game can anyone tell me:

Whats those gold bricks for that show up in the stats when you complete a level? Is there only 1 per level?

Should I also be looking everywhere in each level for secrets and bonus stuff?

Whats the difference with those other color lego coin things? Just different ammounts?

Can you remove the HUD on the PC version? and that player 2 press ok thing?

I think I remember some other thing poping up at the end of a level ummm I unlocked it but cant remember the name.

SHarris78

I've just gone to try out the PC demo but have turned it off instantly. Its causing my PC to make weird screeching noises !! No other games on my PC do it (and i've quite a few installed).

Should I also be looking everywhere in each level for secrets and bonus stuff

Yes, last lego I played was lego pirates but theres usually always secrets to find and when going through the levels be sure to smash as much as you can to collect all the coins until the gold coin bar is flashing, on lego pirates when you did that you got something called true pirate I think which at the end of the level awards you 1 gold brick I think

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Whats those gold bricks for that show up in the stats when you complete a level? Is there only 1 per level?

Whats the difference with those other color lego coin things? Just different ammounts?

I think I remember some other thing poping up at the end of a level ummm I unlocked it but cant remember the name.

You use them to unlock Deadpool mini stages which you use to unlock Cheats and additional characters

Not on the first run, no. Because you're going to have to go back in free play mode to get everything because free play lets you use characters that can access things that you can't access with the preset story characters.

Yes Purple>Blue>Gold>Silver

No

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Gold bricks are awarded for completing certain challenges in the levels and in the open world, collecting them allows you to access bonus levels scattered around the open world.
You should be hunting around in the levels for stuff, especially in free play mode when you can use the abilities of other characters to get to new areas you couldn't reach in story mode. Every level has 10 mini kit pieces (looks like a small gas tank with tiles going through it) which are hidden in either hard to reach places or awarded for doing various things within the level like destroying a certain number of objects (three blue postboxes in the first level for example). There's also Stan Lee in peril in each level who you can rescue, and Deadpool is hidden away in each level too. Most of these you won't get on the first time through a level though.
The different colours of studs are worth different amounts, silver are worth 10 studs, gold are worth 100, blue are 1000 and purple are 10,000. Collecting enough of them in a level to fill the bar at the top (different amount for each level) gets you a "True Believer" award and a gold brick.
Don't think you can remove the HUD in the PC version, sorry!
Hope that helps, there's probably a few more detailed guides and stuff out there but this is the basics.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What were they thinking with this 'floating' BS for characters like Magneto and Storm?

The worst part is when the AI is in control of them they can totally go up and down.

Groof

Could anyone that has the PC version do a comparison between highest & lowest settings? I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

I'm a bit confused about how the red bricks work. I know I have to go buy the ones I've found in Deadpool's room, but where do I find the actual bricks themselves? Are they scattered through the regular levels, or are they in the bonus levels that are unlocked through gold bricks? And where do I go to begin said bonus missions?

Made it to the battle against Sabertooth. After finishing Lego LoTR just yesterday, this is so much more fun. My wife and I are both really enjoying it so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm a bit confused about how the red bricks work. I know I have to go buy the ones I've found in Deadpool's room, but where do I find the actual bricks themselves? Are they scattered through the regular levels, or are they in the bonus levels that are unlocked through gold bricks? And where do I go to begin said bonus missions?
Only in Bonus levels unlocked through gold bricks. You have to find them throughout the city. You will have to build the entrance to them which is usually brown/beige bricks which you'll see shaking in front of a building before you can enter. Often to get the red brick you'll have to go back into those in free play (you can choose free play by just selecting them on the map, you don't have to go all the way to the Helicarrier) because you won't have the requisite heroes/powers to grab them.

c0Zm1c

PC Version now works in Europe :O

For some people.

Apparently it could be downloaded and played for a few hours when it first appeared for purchase on Steam. Then it was locked, but later unlocked for those people who had logged time in the game. Now they are free to play the game while the rest of us have to wait until November 15th, or so it seems.

Unfair and annoying to be honest.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has anybody here who preordered through Amazon gotten their $10 credit yet?

Mecca

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm enjoying this game a lot less than I have previous games in the Lego franchise. I've played almost all of the games except for Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. The only other Lego game I didn't care for that I played was Harry Potter.

My favorite Lego games are Batman/Batman 2 so I figured I would absolutely love this one, but it just isn't holding my attention. It may be because I know very little about Marvel Superheroes besides what I have seen in the movies. I've never read any comics so I'm sure some of the in jokes are going right over my head. I don't think that should matter if a game is done properly. It shouldn't have to appeal to just a niche audience.

I'm about half way through the story mode. Maybe things will pick up once I have unlocked all the characters, but right now I'm just not having a lot of fun. There seems to be more hand holding in this one. Of course there has always been a little hand holding since this is a game geared towards children, but it seems more excessive this time around.

I was running around the city in free roam, unlocking random things, and I happened to get Nova completely by accident. He's pretty awesome.

Only in Bonus levels unlocked through gold bricks. You have to find them throughout the city. You will have to build the entrance to them which is usually brown/beige bricks which you'll see shaking in front of a building before you can enter. Often to get the red brick you'll have to go back into those in free play (you can choose free play by just selecting them on the map, you don't have to go all the way to the Helicarrier) because you won't have the requisite heroes/powers to grab them.

Ah, alright, thanks. Wow, some of these things require a lot of gold bricks to open. o_O

I was debating between this game and Assassin's Creed next week, but I think I'm going to go with this one. I bought it for my nephew yesterday and got to play a bit; It was a lot of fun. I'm pretty excited to pick it up tomorrow.

Unlock Gwen Stacy
'Wonder if she has any powers'
jump off building

That's the kind of person I am.

I'm shocked that they didn't give any of the "girlfriends" powers: Gwen turning into Carnage, MJ with spider abilities, etc.

And does anyone know if you can get a magnetic character early? From Deadpool's Room it looks like you don't get Magneto until the game is almost over. Sucks

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm shocked that they didn't give any of the "girlfriends" powers: Gwen turning into Carnage, MJ with spider abilities, etc.

And does anyone know if you can get a magnetic character early? From Deadpool's Room it looks like you don't get Magneto until the game is almost over. Sucks

Magneto's the only magnetic character. They did that on purpose.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Polaris can too, but you don't unlock her until after/same time as Magneto. I think Stan Lee would be able to as well, but again, that's like the last content in the game to get.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

They did a similar thing in LEGO Harry Potter, where you needed Voldemort/Dark Magic to do certain things but didn't get him until you'd beaten the game. It annoyed me at the time, but I don't mind it so much now. Just means I have a reason to go through the game again once I've beaten the story, rather than do all the free play stuff partway through the game.

I had the same issue with Lego Batman 2. Whats the point of unlocking no super versions of characters?

Or for that matter people that will never be used? But then, that's probably why the "beat a level with a civilian" challenge exists.

Speaking of dumb challenges, there's one that you have to beat a level without getting hurt AND you can't hurt anyone but the security constantly shoots each other so what the hell?
Has anybody here who preordered through Amazon gotten their $10 credit yet?

I did. I got it fast enough to use it on Batman and get that $10 as well.

Lord Phol

Got it on GMG since it was pretty cheap and I couldn't resist being able to play as Venom (and alot of other characters). Can't play until the 15th november though since I'm in EU :(, but I'm curious, what are your favorite characters to play as and why?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is it possible to save at will in the open world or is it like Batman where you have to unlock stuff in order to save.
The game is auto saving whenever you do stuff. When you exit via the start menu, it also saves.

I had the same issue with Lego Batman 2. Whats the point of unlocking no super versions of characters?
Or for that matter people that will never be used? But then, that's probably why the "beat a level with a civilian" challenge exists.
There are over 150 characters in the game, they don't reasonably expect you to use everyone. Characters like Aunt May and stuff are there for kids to recognize and play as when they identify with them in the movies. Same reason the Guardians are in the game, and Ultimate Electro. Knowing how Marvel handles its properties, it's almost guaranteed they were required to put those characters in.

I think expecting them to have super forms is pretty unreasonable, and not shocking at all. It'd confuse kids, and this game has enough fanservice in it already for it to be an issue. There has to be a line drawn somewhere before you invite too much of the convolution of comic book storylines in there as well or have stuff like an Iron Man alt on roller skates. Notice how every characterization sticks closer to tradition too, it's definitely not a coincidence considering their target audience. It's a miracle that they've even gone this far with the fanservice.

Yeah, I'm at 87.7% complete. Some of the trophies seem repetitive, such as the "Walk past Deadpool as Deadpool" considering that level has a "Walk past Deadpool as Deadpool" gold brick.

I still hate the fact I have to go into a level and then exit as soon as I figure out I picked the wrong character. "Oh, this is a level with silver doors? Shit, I need Iron Man. Great, this one has blue vents, gotta get Mr. Fantastic." I'm still enjoying it for what it is and I love breaking the game - get the invulnerable red brick and swing/fly through levels to beat all of timed missions in seconds - though sometimes the timer is so close maybe they expect that.

The invulnerable brick answers my question I had about beating levels as civilians for gold bricks...but for some reason it won't give me my "Beat Doc Ock as Aunt May" and I've done that level at least three times as Aunt May. It popped all of the other ones even when it was active.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I'm at 87.7% complete. Some of the trophies seem repetitive, such as the "Walk past Deadpool as Deadpool" considering that level has a "Walk past Deadpool as Deadpool" gold brick.

I still hate the fact I have to go into a level and then exit as soon as I figure out I picked the wrong character. "Oh, this is a level with silver doors? Shit, I need Iron Man. Great, this one has blue vents, gotta get Mr. Fantastic." I'm still enjoying it for what it is and I love breaking the game - get the invulnerable red brick and swing/fly through levels to beat all of timed missions in seconds - though sometimes the timer is so close maybe they expect that.

The invulnerable brick answers my question I had about beating levels as civilians for gold bricks...but for some reason it won't give me my "Beat Doc Ock as Aunt May" and I've done that level at least three times as Aunt May. It popped all of the other ones even when it was active.
Hmm? You can hold Y (or Triangle I guess?) to switch to any character you've unlocked in Free Play. Same input as transformations, but while a character is transforming you can just hold it again to make the character grid pop up if it didn't the first time.

With that Target B2G1 sale going on at launch, I was going to pick up AC4 as my freebie for the PS4 but reading this thread, this is looking like more my style. I want a fun co-op game that I can play when my nephew comes over too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I struggle with flying...no inverted control options...why?
Flying is pretty bad in this game TBH. After countless hours I've put into the game, I've finally got a hold of it, but it seems pretty complicated especially for kids and the aerial races are ridiculous. The important thing to note is if you want to fly up pretty fast, hold A and then start moving forward which will arc your character upwards, as opposed to just staying in one spot and holding A to rise. Makes scaling buildings 100 times easier. Also while flying you can tap A twice to go super fast which makes city navigation much easier.

3 different flight states, and I'm not even sure how to trigger the 45 degree angle rise, it just happens randomly sometimes.

Hmm? You can hold Y (or Triangle I guess?) to switch to any character you've unlocked in Free Play. Same input as transformations, but while a character is transforming you can just hold it again to make the character grid pop up if it didn't the first time.

I believe he's referring to the Vita version. We have no character grid and have to exit a level to bring in the right hero.

Chairhome

The digital version for Wii U and 3ds comes out today, and I think the 3ds demo is available today as well.

Kind of stuck, my friend and son were playing the other day and quit at the beginning of a mission, when i load it goes back into the city with no objective marker. I think its the second Black Widow/Hawkeye mission, after
beating Mandarin above Stark Tower.
. Where do I go next?
I remember them doing the part where Fury tells them to go to the Financial District, then tells them to open a door that were "the wrong coordinates", then I don't know where they went after that to start the actual mission.
Just need the location. Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, it spawns me right in front of where i needed to be, haha. I had to look it up on youtube.

I'm doing cleanup on challenges (Vita/3DS version) and there's one that seems impossible. It's on Asteroid M: The Bridge and it's the stud challenge. I can get 24,050 and I need 25,000. I go through what I feel is the entire level and defeat all of the enemies and beat up all the blocks and guns and walls and yet I'm 950 studs short every time. Is there a place I don't know about beyond the hallway you need to have the Human torch in your party to get to? It's literall the last thing I need to do before I get platinum.

EDIT: figured it out: combos. lots and lots of combos.

bryehn

Finished the story yesterday and it said I unlocked a bonus level. Where is it on the map? It also mentioned Tony throwing a party at the mansion...again where is that?

Finished the story yesterday and it said I unlocked a bonus level. Where is it on the map? It also mentioned Tony throwing a party at the mansion...again where is that?

That is actually referring to Stark tower. It should be relatively easy to find after a little flying around.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Post-credits mission: Stark Tower (Should be Avengers logo "A" on the map)
Bonus level: Liberty Island (Should be a
taco
on the map)

codhand

enzo, you play lego undercover? wondering how it compares, i thought that was the best lego game thus far...

gotta love how there's zero reviews for the wii u version,

hmm, that or ps4...

guek

Banned
So can anyone tell me how this game performs on wiiu? Kinda not interested if the framerate is poopy

moai

i tried it at my nephews wii u. it had pretty bad framerate on some sections.
but playing with the pad and the other player on the tv, each minding their own business was pretty awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
enzo, you play lego undercover? wondering how it compares, i thought that was the best lego game thus far...

gotta love how there's zero reviews for the wii u version,

hmm, that or ps4...
Nah, I haven't. TBH I'm not interested in a LEGO game without another property attached to it. The mash up is what makes it charming for me.

I think that it's a really good game outright though. Design wise it's much more like non-Undercover games than Undercover but the same concepts are there throughout. I think Undercover was made by a different team though, so you'll see less overlap, but then again I can't necessarily think of anything they did with Undercover gameplay or featurewise from what I've seen that isn't in some form in LEGO Marvel.

Like others have said in this thread, it's probably going to be on sale soon, GameStop already has it listed for their Black Friday sale, so you could always wait.

Just checked out the 3DS demo and it was surprisingly fun. I'll pick up the Vita DD when the price drops to $20 or below.
Those with the Vita version, is the flying the same? Swipe up and swipe down? Or is there a way to go about that with the buttons?

JoshHood

They did a similar thing in LEGO Harry Potter, where you needed Voldemort/Dark Magic to do certain things but didn't get him until you'd beaten the game. It annoyed me at the time, but I don't mind it so much now. Just means I have a reason to go through the game again once I've beaten the story, rather than do all the free play stuff partway through the game.
I'm sure you can get Bellatrix in one of the first levels once you've got the right character abilities to reach her.

Top Bottom