• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes |OT| Cosmic Brick Your Console

IHaveIce

Banned
While I still think this is the best Lego game till now, the flight ontrols are really awful, I can't seem to win the sky races or beat Siler Surfer, just because I have no idea how to properly fly a character.

Also the game still freezes everytime I try to unlock Rescue.

Kurod

Banned
I just got my platinum for the PS4 version. It was pretty fun but those flight controls are awful. The only thing worse was trying to race using Hawkguy's skycycle. I hit a tiny bump near the tracks and suddenly it shoots off in a completely different direction from my approach.

My most used character had to be Super-Skrull. That guy does so much it's obscene: Flight, heat beam, invisibility, super strength, stretchiness (for grates and webslinger handles), smarts for operating panels, and even mind control (didn't expect this one).

mstevens

I'm trying to figure out my first PS4 retail game purchase... Is this a good choice? I've really enjoyed Lego Harry Potter in the past, but didn't like Lego City too much.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you like Marvel and fun and aren't too burned out on Lego games then yeah, this is a good game. There's a lot to do which is either great or becomes a bit of a slog if you get tired of it, but the license is solid, the levels are fun and there's a massive amount of fanservice to the comics. It's the best Lego game they've released so far.

Krilekk

Banned
I love Lego games but this one just sucks.

The Hub is just annoying. It serves no purpose except to make it more tedious to get from one mission to the next. Lego City Undercover shows how to do it right by filling the world with tons of little puzzles and rewarding exploration with lots of studs. Here you get nothing, just pure New York in all its boredom.

Then we have the levels. The level design with one or two exceptions is just bad. Like they didn't even care to make interesting or realistic or inspired levels. You enter the Empire State Building - and end up in a sewer/industrial level. You enter a prison and once you're inside there is no prison inside.

Controls are awful. Switching with Y used to be a good idea. When you only have two characters. Here you have up to four and getting the right one is pure randomness. You basically have to move towards the one you want to play and press Y. Meanwhile LB and RB don't have any function. It would be so easy to implement fastswitching between characters (in fact it used to be standard for free modes in previous Lego games) but again, they didn't care.

Characters. There are too many. Or the levels are just stupid. Every so often you have to use five different abilities within twenty seconds of gameplay to progress further. Levitate this, burn this, levitate the remains, magnetize them, burn again. Playing this game is a chore, I'm literally annoyed every ten minutes or so.

And then there's what is a trademark of Lego games. Humor. Or in this case the lack of it. It seems like it should be funny when Nick Fury eats a burger. I don't get it. It has the least amount of humor of any Lego game. Iron Mans suit doesn't go crazy on him, Hawkeye doesn't blind himself in the mirror, the torch isn't scared of water, they are all so very annoyingly true to their character I start to wonder why they are represented in Lego at all. The game would actually make more sense and be better if all the Lego stuff was gone.

Lego City Undercover is my alltime high of Lego games, this is a new low (played them all except Lego Batman 2, the Harry Potter ones and the Star Wars Clone Wars one). I have high hopes that Lego - The Movie - The Game will return to Lego City levels of entertainment, this is a total and devestating failure on all accounts.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

The Hub is just annoying. It serves no purpose except to make it more tedious to get from one mission to the next. Lego City Undercover shows how to do it right by filling the world with tons of little puzzles and rewarding exploration with lots of studs. Here you get nothing, just pure New York in all its boredom.

Then we have the levels. The level design with one or two exceptions is just bad. Like they didn't even care to make interesting or realistic or inspired levels. You enter the Empire State Building - and end up in a sewer/industrial level. You enter a prison and once you're inside there is no prison inside.

Controls are awful. Switching with Y used to be a good idea. When you only have two characters. Here you have up to four and getting the right one is pure randomness. You basically have to move towards the one you want to play and press Y. Meanwhile LB and RB don't have any function. It would be so easy to implement fastswitching between characters (in fact it used to be standard for free modes in previous Lego games) but again, they didn't care.

Characters. There are too many. Or the levels are just stupid. Every so often you have to use five different abilities within twenty seconds of gameplay to progress further. Levitate this, burn this, levitate the remains, magnetize them, burn again. Playing this game is a chore, I'm literally annoyed every ten minutes or so.

And then there's what is a trademark of Lego games. Humor. Or in this case the lack of it. It seems like it should be funny when Nick Fury eats a burger. I don't get it. It has the least amount of humor of any Lego game. Iron Mans suit doesn't go crazy on him, Hawkeye doesn't blind himself in the mirror, the torch isn't scared of water, they are all so very annoyingly true to their character I start to wonder why they are represented in Lego at all. The game would actually make more sense and be better if all the Lego stuff was gone.

Lego City Undercover is my alltime high of Lego games, this is a new low (played them all except Lego Batman 2, the Harry Potter ones and the Star Wars Clone Wars one). I have high hopes that Lego - The Movie - The Game will return to Lego City levels of entertainment, this is a total and devestating failure on all accounts.

I'm going to have to disagree. this game is like a love letter to my comic book nerd self.

addyb

Downloaded this yesterday on the xbox one. I was a big fan of Lego undercover and I'm really enjoying this. The hub is poor compared to undercover but the theme is far better with it being marvel. Some of the tasks can get annoying. Reading through some of this thread it seems I'm not the only one who thinks this. Just at times it isn't obvious what you have to do.

Overall though I'm enjoying it. Great to bang on when I'm not in the mood for forza or BF4.

I'm with this guy.

Me and the missus are loving it. Both biiiig Marvel fans. It's our favourite LEGO game yet.
Same here. We both love the Harry Potter ones as well. At times playing Marvel it does everything so well I think, what can they do to make this better? It's so damn good. Minus flight controls lol. I would love a ninja turtles one but honestly I'd want them to jump straight to Marvel number 2 instead of doing the Hobbit. The LotR was boring as hell. Marvel makes me feel like I'm a super hero playing, Harry Potter made me feel like a wizard. That's what I want.

raviolico

this whole post echoes my feelings about the game pretty well.

And -in my case- it has little to do with the sameness of the Lego game mechanics.
The open world stuff was integrated/handled by Lego City Undercover more interesting/better.

Both, DC & Marvel Superheroes, don`t resonate as well as the rest of the Lego pack with me. I guess you can squeeze the more enjoyment of those titles the more your are into the source material.

well, i`m not a huge comic nerd but i love the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars movies so i love the Legolisation of both.

And i think when TT has to translate movie set pieces into levels the often come up with some creatively nice and more unique level designs (in Lego terms speaking...) instead of those endless streams of halls, fabrics, prisons, buildings etc. A random example may be the opening level of Lego Clone Wars on Geonosis. i don`t think the would have pulled such a design from scratch off without the filmic blueprint.

gsrjedi

Just picked this up from Green Man Gaming since I saw that Steam has the super pack DLC available. Used the voucher they have on the main page "GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49" and got $3 off so it was only $12

Just picked this up from Green Man Gaming since I saw that Steam has the super pack DLC available. Used the voucher they have on the main page "GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49" and got $3 off so it was only $12

Is the PC version any different than the next gen console versions? Ill probably pick this up.

I don't see why this post is necessary. Do you have to act like a tool, or what?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be serious about the master race thing.

Just flabbergasted at that 12 dollar price (w/ publicly available coupon), and constantly amazed at the deals one can get on PC games.

Also wanted to let people in the thread know, in case they wanted to pick it up.

Here, for 12 bucks!

And use the following coupon at checkout -> GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49

mstevens

Just finished the first two missions.. I am LOVING this game so far. Easily up there with Lego Star Wars and Lego Harry Potter for me.

(This is coming from someone who couldn't get into Lego City Undercover at all)

Very fun game!

PC version. Is there anyway to jump directly to the menu, it is annoying having to watch Silver surfer at the beginning and then turn off the sound. why does it save my graphics settings but not my sound. very weird.

nikos

Game is currently $11.99 on Amazon for PC. Got the PS4 version as a gift, but I'm thinking about buying the PC version, returning the PS4 version and putting the $60 towards something else. Any reason not to?

Why in god's name do they put the subtitles in the middle of the screen :lol

That Amazon PC price. Can't believe I paid $50 for this on PS4 a few weeks ago.

Anyone played both the PS3 and PS4 version of this game?

I'm a huge Marvel fan and absolutely love the game, close to getting the platinum trophy on PS3 now so I'm thinking about trading in the PS3 version after I'm done, then buy a PS4 copy for keeping (and platinuming again). But not sure if it's worth it, can't seem to find much on Google about Current Gen/Next Gen comparsion (found this video but honestly can't see much difference.), so hoping to hear some first hand impression from you guys.

Anyone played both the PS3 and PS4 version of this game?

I'm a huge Marvel fan and absolutely love the game, close to getting the platinum trophy on PS3 now so I'm thinking about trading in the PS3 version after I'm done, then buy a PS4 copy for keeping (and platinuming again). But not sure if it's worth it, can't seem to find much on Google about Current Gen/Next Gen comparsion (found this video but honestly can't see much difference.), so hoping to hear some first hand impression from you guys.

I only played the PS4 but im pretty sure it doesnt have any extra content. It would just be a performance upgrade over the PS3 version. Looks and plays great though.

I only played the PS4 but im pretty sure it doesnt have any extra content. It would just be a performance upgrade over the PS3 version. Looks and plays great though.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I know both versions are identical content-wise, just curious about the graphics and performance side of things, the PS3 version does lag from time to time, and the draw distance is pretty bad.

I think I'll end up buying the PS4 version anyway, just want to hear more opinions so I can convince myself and validate my purchase lol.

gamingeek

Agreed, this game sucks compared to City IMO.

I was planning on 100%ing this but I'm finding it hard to play through these levels again. I've kind of enjoyed the game but not as much as I hoped I would. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean is still easily my favorite out of the few Lego games I've played.

They need to get less realistic-ish with their environments. The city and most individual levels feel so damn boring.

I haven't been a fan of the lego games since Star Wars, find them a bit boring after a few hours, but I really really love this. Flying is weird, but I really enjoy flying around the city as Iron Man. Really fun game, really enjoying it!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Have to disagree considerably. The fact that you marginalized the hub world and implied it has nothing to do in it when it's a vehicle for unlocking characters and full of over 100+ puzzles of varying difficulty sets a tone the rest of your post follows with considerable hyperbole.

I will concede on the humour and controls though, but the fanservice is so damn good in that regard. I can imagine someone who doesn't like Marvel characters not enjoying this though, it seems like you set up expectations for yourself too that tainted the rest of the experience. They literally made the best Marvel game in terms of fanservice and you are complaining there are too many characters when that's the most important part of a game like this, especially using an IP of this magnitude.

I've been playing this with my gf since launch on my pc. The attention to detail in animations and characters is excellent, and I'll list some of my favourite in spoilers below.

All the large character transformations, especially Hulk and Lizard. Curt Connors is actually missing a hand, and when he transforms he sprouts a tail and an arm and becomes the lizard. Ant-Man and Wasp can actually shrink, which is hilarious when you jump off shield-heli-carrier as tiny Ant-Man. Also, Spiderman can undress into Peter Parker and Wolverine and Colossus actually have a special fastball attack!

And my personal favourite animation:

When idle for a while the Beast sits down and reads a book while sipping tea!

I also just love zooming around as flying characters like Iron Man. The combat animations for a number of characters are also unique and it's great to see really obscure characters like
Squirrel Girl!

Tizoc

For those with the PS3 Digital version:
Did the game crash/freeze up in the Castle Doom stage? This has happened to me TWICE now.

Got this on PS4, being my first Lego game I've been quite impressed but having a trophy which requires a second controller is quite bemusing. Apparently the Vita works so I might try that. Going to get the Platinum regardless.

Wasp

The timed ring flying challenge near the Helicarrier is really fucking hard, the one where you have to fly through the tunnels and then the train tracks. The flying controls are an abomination.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The timed ring flying challenge near the Helicarrier is really fucking hard, the one where you have to fly through the tunnels and then the train tracks. The flying controls are an abomination.
Yeah the flying is rubbish. Wonder why flying in games is so hard to create.

CRA5H

My biggest gripe with this game is definitely the flying mechanics. It took me 20 tries to beat silver surfer in a race. I finally decided to not use any boost at all and take it slow and steady and I ended up beating him with ease.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having issues with the flying.

In fact, the flying mechanics being as bad as they are is baffling considering they nailed them so perfectly in Lego Batman 2.

bunbun777

The flying was really frustrating for me to get used to but eventually I mastered it and was able to finish all of the races. My best advice is only attempt a race a few times than walk away, try again later. No inverting of the camera controls was very tough for me too but even that I got used to. Writing and depth of characters for me was the game's strongest suites and it was very enjoyable getting the platinum. Word of advice the one rc mini car race on top of the building is rage inducing. Then I figured out the controls were actually mapped to the direction you want to go, not to the direction your car is facing.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this one, but the constant Wii U freezes are getting bothersome Seems like every level has 2-3 console lockups with that blaring BRRRRRRRR sound from the console, and we have to unplug/replug the console itself.
Combine that with the difficult puzzles and it really dissuades us from playing. At least there's checkpoints everywhere, but that's not the best solution.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game itself was Cosmic Bricked before they started burning the discs.

But it's SO MUCH FUN!

EDIT: I also just got an update for the game, but it still locks up all the time. :\

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
does the Wii U version support the local multiplayer second screen? I mean: if I play on the GamePad and another person is playing with another controller, does the game still split the tv screen in half, or me, on the GamePad, I get my own indipendent view on the action?

Top Bottom