• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes |OT| Cosmic Brick Your Console

Not gonna lie, I bought all my LEGO games mainly for myself, but I also buy them so kids of friends and family can have something to play when they come over for a visit. Finally had a chance to let my young cousins (10-11 year-old boy and 8-9 year-old girl) play LEGO Marvel a few days ago, I thought for sure they would love it, they like Marvel movies and characters, the game is fun to play and looks awesome, what's not to like?

Well, as it turned out, they did not enjoyed it at all, didn't even make it past the battle with Sandman on the rooftop, kept saying the puzzles were too hard (to be honest, only the 8 year-old cousin couldn't manage, the 11 year-old did okay) and kept asking to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 instead (a game they always play when they come over for a visit). Keep in mind that they don't speak English so they didn't really understand most of the instructions on screen, but the game isn't really text-heavy anyway, and I talked them through the game and gave them hints, they still couldn't solve the puzzles (or wasn't really interested in trying, I don't know. Maybe they had their minds so set on playing MUA2 that they weren't willing to give any other games a proper chance). So they just gave up and went back to a button-masher.

I felt a bit disappointed because I was really looking forward to seeing their faces lit up with joy like I did when I was playing LEGO Marvel, but that did not happen at all. Isn't that the game's target demographic though (8-11 year-old)? Gaffers who played this with their kids, how did it go for you? Did they enjoy it? How old are they? Could they understand the concept of the game?

Fox1304

I'm 26yo and I had a hard time with a few of the puzzles of the game ... So for a 8/11yo kid ... I can imagine some of them must be damn near impossible.
It's not that they're hard, but they're most of the time quite hard to detect/find/understand ...

leng jai

I find I'm getting stuck constantly in Lego games but not because they're hard - I always seem to overlook ridiculously obvious things.

Zing

Banned
I can easily imagine kids who can't read the on screen instructions having trouble. My daughter relies on those instructions frequently.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wish the city had more platforming and puzzles. There are way less than Batman 2 had, replaced by tons of fetch quests.

My digital PS3 version is very prone to glitches and crashing. Objectives won't complete in various ways, something breaks, etc., and the only recourse is to restart. That's been super annoying. Also I've experienced lots of audio glitches, with dialogue dropping out entirely (and when this happens subtitles also disappear) or being real soft. Music changes suddenly at times.

The core levels have been fun though, along with all the bonus Deadpool stages. I just wish it were more polished and the city had more interesting things to do.

And dear god, the air races suck. The bad flight controls don't really impact the rest of the game, but the time limits on the races are ridiculously tight.

Some of those are rough, especially the one that starts on near the helicarrier and ends on the train tracks. You have to fly above the tracks but under a bunch of low girders, and it's a super fine line you have to hit, without hitting the girders and stopping or descending enough where it initiates a landing.

Came out here yesterday for the PS4.

Picked up our copy and did a couple hours co-op last night.

It's been great so far. Graphics and world are amazing. Love the little Stan and Deadpool cameos thus far. DAT Helicarrier, wow.

Done the first three levels. They're huge in comparison to the Vita version and different enough that I'm glad we own both titles.

Couldn't seem to use the Vita as a second controller last night (only the on-screen PS button on the Vita would register, nothing else), so it was lucky we grabbed a second DS4.

Can't wait to play more and unlock some more of our favourite Marvel characters.

I picked this up for $35 on XBO and while waiting for it to be delivered played the PS4 demo. WOW this is the best Lego game I have played (confession quite playing them after star wars 2).

the graphics are impressive. Game play is fun. Can't wait to use the open world area.

Can player two unlock achievements in multiplayer on the Xbox One version? Likewise with trophies on PS4? I just bought the PS4 version because I thought both players could earn trophies in co-op but I have read differently. I'd like to return it if that's the case so I'd appreciate help.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm 26yo and I had a hard time with a few of the puzzles of the game ... So for a 8/11yo kid ... I can imagine some of them must be damn near impossible.
It's not that they're hard, but they're most of the time quite hard to detect/find/understand ...

Really? Not trying to be mean but I remember before the game was released someone was posting their playthrough on youtube and he had the hardest time on the easiest of puzzles in the game. I was pulling my hair out watching him. The puzzles are very simple the only thing i had trouble was racing with Maria Hill and thats because she gets a huge head start.

nikos

Tried the demo for this on PS4. Even as someone who isn't really into superheroes, it was very enjoyable. Need to pick it up ASAP. Might hold out for Christmas though.

TaKeRx

Can player two unlock achievements in multiplayer on the Xbox One version? Likewise with trophies on PS4? I just bought the PS4 version because I thought both players could earn trophies in co-op but I have read differently. I'd like to return it if that's the case so I'd appreciate help.

I know it work on the XB1 version. My brother and I both got achievements.

Zing

Banned
What's so difficult about flying in this game? In Lego City it is very simple. You use one shoulder button to lower altitude, and the other to raise it. Analog stick moves you forward, backward, and to turn.

Fox1304

Really? Not trying to be mean but I remember before the game was released someone was posting their playthrough on youtube and he had the hardest time on the easiest of puzzles in the game. I was pulling my hair out watching him. The puzzles are very simple the only thing i had trouble was racing with Maria Hill and thats because she gets a huge head start.
It's not really that the puzzle ( if we can call them like that ) are difficult, it's just that there are some movable/destructable/constructable elements that are damn hard to see.
Yesterday we spent a good 10 minutes at the end of the mission at Ryker's Raft, during the final abomination fight, turning around looking for how to finish it. It was a damn lego stack hidden on the stage to destroy in order to rebuild a wolverine switch ...
Maybe it's because it's our first lego game but we've been stuck on things like this a few times now.

It's not really that the puzzle ( if we can call them like that ) are difficult, it's just that there are some movable/destructable/constructable elements that are damn hard to see.
Yesterday we spent a good 10 minutes at the end of the mission at Ryker's Raft, during the final abomination fight, turning around looking for how to finish it. It was a damn lego stack hidden on the stage to destroy in order to rebuild a wolverine switch ...
Maybe it's because it's our first lego game but we've been stuck on things like this a few times now.

Yes, this is usually my problem with the game "puzzle". Also I haven't really play LEGO game since Star Wars many years ago. The frame rate usually make me feel ill but Xbox One version is nice and smooth. I gave my 360 version away and got One version from Amazon sale.

Kurod

Banned
Some of those are rough, especially the one that starts on near the helicarrier and ends on the train tracks. You have to fly above the tracks but under a bunch of low girders, and it's a super fine line you have to hit, without hitting the girders and stopping or descending enough where it initiates a landing.

I had been trying to do this one for a little while now but finally got it almost by pure dumb luck. I accidentally started the race with full speed and panicked my way through the first part. By the time I reached tracks I had enough time left over that even getting knocked off my glider a few times (did this as the Green Goblin) I managed to finish with 2 seconds to spare.

What's so difficult about flying in this game? In Lego City it is very simple. You use one shoulder button to lower altitude, and the other to raise it. Analog stick moves you forward, backward, and to turn.

The flying controls are weird in this game. You pitch up with the X button (PS controls) and down with the Circle button. Double tapping X will cause you to go into high speed mode. Double tapping Circle will cause you to stop flying. Because of this there have been PLENTY of times where I'm trying to fine tune my flying and end up accidentally going super fast or stopping all together.

Couldn't seem to use the Vita as a second controller last night (only the on-screen PS button on the Vita would register, nothing else), so it was lucky we grabbed a second DS4.
Can't wait to play more and unlock some more of our favourite Marvel characters.

Not at home so can't test it out right now, but maybe it's similar to how Knack does it. Start the game and then use the Remote Play function on the Vita. This will then turn off the DS4, hit the PS button on it and pick a different user account and then it might work?

This is so true. I know I've said this before but I've not gotten stuck on a game so frequently in years.

Agree with that. I've been getting stuck every single minute I swear. Probably because I'm not used to how these games work, but it's so hard to see what needs to be done.

Came out here yesterday for the PS4.

Picked up our copy and did a couple hours co-op last night.

It's been great so far. Graphics and world are amazing. Love the little Stan and Deadpool cameos thus far. DAT Helicarrier, wow.

Done the first three levels. They're huge in comparison to the Vita version and different enough that I'm glad we own both titles.

You need to switch to another user or a gust in order to use it.

Fox1304

Yes, this is usually my problem with the game "puzzle". Also I haven't really play LEGO game since Star Wars many years ago. The frame rate usually make me feel ill but Xbox One version is nice and smooth. I gave my 360 version away and got One version from Amazon sale.

This is so true. I know I've said this before but I've not gotten stuck on a game so frequently in years.

Agree with that. I've been getting stuck every single minute I swear. Probably because I'm not used to how these games work, but it's so hard to see what needs to be done.

Wow, now the wife and I can stop feeling stupid !

I have one save file for co-op with my 7 year old daughter and one just for me. I hardly ever got stuck with my daughter and we finished the story mode. I've been stuck several times by myself and had my daughter walk by and tell me what to do. *Hangs head in shame.*

got this yesterday from amazon ($40)

Played it alone of course. finished a little bit after the demo area. surprisingly was just the beginning of the game minus the cutscene.

Triz

First mission as Hulk and Ironman with my daughter. Get into the room with Sandman, and there is a sand wall they say needs to be doused with water to continue. I see a waterfall on the right and it keeps telling me to switch characters to one with senses. I see no way to change characters and no way to get the water to the wall. Completely frustrating.

phaonaut

First mission as Hulk and Ironman with my daughter. Get into the room with Sandman, and there is a sand wall they say needs to be doused with water to continue. I see a waterfall on the right and it keeps telling me to switch characters to one with senses. I see no way to change characters and no way to get the water to the wall. Completely frustrating.

Use iron man to shoot the silver dome on top of the structure to the left of the waterfall, then use ironman to build a device out of the wreckage.

I got stuck on this part also, the waterfall really threw me off course.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ignore the 'waterfall'. You don't have the characters who can use that yet.

I had been trying to do this one for a little while now but finally got it almost by pure dumb luck. I accidentally started the race with full speed and panicked my way through the first part. By the time I reached tracks I had enough time left over that even getting knocked off my glider a few times (did this as the Green Goblin) I managed to finish with 2 seconds to spare.
I think I did the same. Built up as much time as possible in the beginning so that when I inevitably hit the tracks or girders, I had could spare a moment to restart flying.

The flying controls are weird in this game. You pitch up with the X button (PS controls) and down with the Circle button. Double tapping X will cause you to go into high speed mode. Double tapping Circle will cause you to stop flying. Because of this there have been PLENTY of times where I'm trying to fine tune my flying and end up accidentally going super fast or stopping all together.
Indeed. Too often you screw it up or try to adjust too quickly and you do the speed up or stop moves.

alterno69

Banned
Not gonna lie, I bought all my LEGO games mainly for myself, but I also buy them so kids of friends and family can have something to play when they come over for a visit. Finally had a chance to let my young cousins (10-11 year-old boy and 8-9 year-old girl) play LEGO Marvel a few days ago, I thought for sure they would love it, they like Marvel movies and characters, the game is fun to play and looks awesome, what's not to like?

Well, as it turned out, they did not enjoyed it at all, didn't even make it past the battle with Sandman on the rooftop, kept saying the puzzles were too hard (to be honest, only the 8 year-old cousin couldn't manage, the 11 year-old did okay) and kept asking to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 instead (a game they always play when they come over for a visit). Keep in mind that they don't speak English so they didn't really understand most of the instructions on screen, but the game isn't really text-heavy anyway, and I talked them through the game and gave them hints, they still couldn't solve the puzzles (or wasn't really interested in trying, I don't know. Maybe they had their minds so set on playing MUA2 that they weren't willing to give any other games a proper chance). So they just gave up and went back to a button-masher.

I felt a bit disappointed because I was really looking forward to seeing their faces lit up with joy like I did when I was playing LEGO Marvel, but that did not happen at all. Isn't that the game's target demographic though (8-11 year-old)? Gaffers who played this with their kids, how did it go for you? Did they enjoy it? How old are they? Could they understand the concept of the game?

My 7 years old son beat this on his 360, i had to help him out in some puzzles, it's not that they're hard but sometimes it's not clear what you're supossed to do. He enjoyed the game a lot i think, it's the first game he beats basically by himself, i player coop with him a lot tho, i helped him beat the final boss for example.

ssjali

I need help with the Vita remote play aswell. As far as I understood it, I should be able to use it for coop where 1 player uses the TV and the uses the vita, eleminating the splitscreen. When I connect via remote play, I will just get the splitscreen on the and the vita aswell, which totally sucks.

So what do I have to do to make it work? Does it even work?

Wife surprised me with the PS4 version today.

Graphics are great-music is great-and the story is as faithful to the comics as can be. I also love the fact they took a hybrid comic/movies style (Sam Jackson esque Nick Fury, Robert Downey Jr lookalike for Tony Stark).

Are there hidden characters besides the 100 mentioned on the box?

how is coop?

JoshHood

I need help with the Vita remote play aswell. As far as I understood it, I should be able to use it for coop where 1 player uses the TV and the uses the vita, eleminating the splitscreen. When I connect via remote play, I will just get the splitscreen on the and the vita aswell, which totally sucks.

So what do I have to do to make it work? Does it even work?
I've double-checked with the devs and yeah that is indeed how it works, just mirroring.

PC or PS4 version, which one is better? I have a pretty powerful PC, but I really like the PS4 controller. I can't decide which one to get!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PC or PS4 version, which one is better? I have a pretty powerful PC, but I really like the PS4 controller. I can't decide which one to get!!

Played the PC demo and have the PS4 version. They both seem identical so pick based on cost/comfort.

If you're in the US there is a PS4 demo, so you could try both.

Played the PC demo and have the PS4 version. They both seem identical so pick based on cost/comfort.

If you're in the US there is a PS4 demo, so you could try both.

thanks. I downloaded the pc and ps4 demos, and i feel like the pc version definitely has a higher framerate PLUS the fact that it's cheaper, i'm leaning towards pc. but i feel compelled to build my ps4 collection right now lol. plus the DS4 is sooo good

Finished this up over the weekend. A few people suggested using Spider Woman (who can fly for some reason) for the air races, and that certainly helped.
Overall, I'm not certain it's better than Batman 2. I like the increased variety in the characters in story mode, but the city hub felt a bit pointless - just lots of fetch quests. Gotham had some interesting puzzles but in New York you could nearly always use Iron Man to fly to the top of the building. There's also a slight feel or being rushed - things like the tips referring to 'web-slingers' when you're meant to use Mr Fantastic, the clunky way you need to change characters if they have a transformation, or the lack of detail on the map.
I decided to pick up Lego Harry Potter from my backlog, it's pretty funny how little has changed to the basic structure over the years :)

love the game but..

the main map is rather boring compared to DC heroes
the flight controls are WORSE than DC heroes (thats a fucking feat right there..)
some parts of the game require you to be in the exact position for something to work
Cameras in levels can be dog shit
Starks voice is horrible

and some of the levels were bloody boring.

Aside from that, loved it :)

jwtsonga

thanks. I downloaded the pc and ps4 demos, and i feel like the pc version definitely has a higher framerate PLUS the fact that it's cheaper, i'm leaning towards pc. but i feel compelled to build my ps4 collection right now lol. plus the DS4 is sooo good

The DS4 works on PC, just plug and play. So looks like you will be getting this on PC!!

Just got the PS4 version for my birthday. Playing co-op with my girlfriend. It's a bloody terrible LEGO game, this.

The camera is awful. It's too far out and generally at an awful angle, and the split screens just seem much worse than they used to be. This is something the LEGO games always did well, but something is amiss in this one. Is it just me?

I also don't see how young kids are going to get far in this. Some of the "puzzles" (or more accurately, "tasks") are so obscure and far from obvious that I struggled with them. Kids wouldn't stand a chance!

The number of completely different characters doesn't help either. There's no cohesion or consistency with the gameplay. You're given control of multiple wildly different characters right from the off, and with the camera confusion, it's all a little overwhelming and frankly irritating to play for the first time. I'm sure this aspect will improve with time though.

First impressions, nowhere near as good as previous LEGO games, and bordering on being a genuinely bad game in my opinion. Admittedly we've only played a couple of hours.

One more thing - no Trophy unlocks for Player 2?! Unacceptable!

Edit: Oh! And the cutscenes mid-game. They constantly interrupt the action. They're far too frequent.

Top Bottom