• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that were worried:

I checked my local LEGO store and they didn't get any shipments of CMF14 today. I told him about it being Sold Out online. Figures that he checks and it's available again. I just checked last night too.
My guess is LEGO stores will get a shipment next week.

Just checked:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Minifigures-Series-14-Monsters-71010?fromListing=listing

bLjkL4B.png

EDIT: Man, they are stingy with those VIP points. They round down to 3 VIP points for $3.99? I'm sure they total everything before rounding down, but still it's $0.01 to round up.

I built my Wall-E! The build itself is fairly straight-forward, but there's a ton of Chima yellow which looks great compared to the classic yellow (which is mostly semi-transparent nowadays). I'm pretty sure some of these parts are unique to Wall-E too. The eyes are amazing SNOT builds and very impressive (and expressive!). Oh, and he carries his own extra parts.

But then there's the floppy neck which is immediately a nuisance. I don't often complain about things like this, but... what were they thinking? You can't put any kind of weight on a simple non-friction Technic peg, and this head is rather heavy. And this is a European release, so I guess they really just assumed we're not as eager to sue.

Now, any real Lego fan will correct this in a minute and have what is quite likely one of the coolest looking sets ever. The problem is that this set is aimed very much towards casual fans, who might get this as their first Lego set in years. They don't have the spare parts to fix it.

No way. Hopefully it will convince people to stop throwing those projects up. There is no business sense in making them. That Rivendell is ridiculous, it would be the biggest set ever.

Oh i know. i didn't mean that I realistically expected anything remotely resembling either of those to ever get made. the lotr line is 80% responsible for me getting as into lego as i have so any mention of it kneecaps my ability to be rational. there'll always be a part of me secretly hoping that lego finds an excuse to kid themselves into thinking another special set for the line would make some money.

but there won't be, so i will continue to be driven to improve my MOC-ing skills and to hit up cracklink.

tch

I built my Wall-E! The build itself is fairly straight-forward, but there's a ton of Chima yellow which looks great compared to the classic yellow (which is mostly semi-transparent nowadays). I'm pretty sure some of these parts are unique to Wall-E too. The eyes are amazing SNOT builds and very impressive (and expressive!). Oh, and he carries his own extra parts.

But then there's the floppy neck which is immediately a nuisance. I don't often complain about things like this, but... what were they thinking? You can't put any kind of weight on a simple non-friction Technic peg, and this head is rather heavy. And this is a European release, so I guess they really just assumed we're not as eager to sue.

Now, any real Lego fan will correct this in a minute and have what is quite likely one of the coolest looking sets ever. The problem is that this set is aimed very much towards casual fans, who might get this as their first Lego set in years. They don't have the spare parts to fix it.

Awesome! Still waiting on mine. I haven't really got a good look at the eye construction yet, but do you think it would be possible to modify them so his "eyebrows" could open/rotate like in the film? Pretty much my only complaint so far!

Just built Poe's X-Wing

8Ps3OPE.jpg

bWwuDYU.jpg

zRkRj9n.jpg

I'm so glad the cockpit window is actually printed.

Really love the color scheme though. I don't have any idea as to the size comparison of the previous X-Wings.

chidrock

I know this is a weird question, but can anyone tell me how many bags are used for step number 6 in the UCS Sandcrawler? I believe that it's 2, but I just want to make sure before I start putting together my bricklink list.

Lego won't sell just those bags, will they? Lol

Nitemare1

Im a little disappointed that they didn't try to distinguish the new xwing from the old one a little more. They could have done more with the nose section and cockpit to make it look a little more like the ones in the new movie. Im pretty sure Ill be leaving off the projectile launchers on the wings when I put mine together too. But enough of the negativity from me. The BB8 minifig is awesome! :D

mojiimbo

I really wanted a white and blue X-Wing from the trailer. They *did* make so many Jedi Interceptor-y versions, so there's a chance, right? :(

Ponn

Banned
I really wanted a white and blue X-Wing from the trailer. They *did* make so many Jedi Interceptor-y versions, so there's a chance, right? :(

There's like a bunch more movies in the pipe line. It's pretty much a guarantee you will get one in a future wave.

Nitemare1

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be willing to bet a blue and white version is coming sooner or later. You could always just get the instructions for the black and orange and just bricklink all the pieces and just replace the black and orange with white and blue! :)

I have the opportunity to buy some retired sets that I'm interested in and was wondering if the best resource for checking prices would be sold eBay listings. Are there any other sites out there that would help me figure out if I'm getting a good deal on these sets?

chidrock

I have the opportunity to buy some retired sets that I'm interested in and was wondering if the best resource for checking prices would be sold eBay listings. Are there any other sites out there that would help me figure out if I'm getting a good deal on these sets?

You can try to see how much they are going for on Bricklink too. I would use the sold history on eBay to get a sense of the trend for them.

Ponn

Banned
I made the silliest Lego purchase in awhile but its something i've wanted for awhile but just couldn't justify getting. It's stupid, silly and sort of cheap but i'm happy I finally pulled the trigger on it. *rubs hands* muhahaha

Ryuuroden

Oh i know. i didn't mean that I realistically expected anything remotely resembling either of those to ever get made. the lotr line is 80% responsible for me getting as into lego as i have so any mention of it kneecaps my ability to be rational. there'll always be a part of me secretly hoping that lego finds an excuse to kid themselves into thinking another special set for the line would make some money.

but there won't be, so i will continue to be driven to improve my MOC-ing skills and to hit up cracklink.

Yeah, just do what I do and build your dream LoTR set yourself.

taoofjord

I'm really unimpressed with the Ideas finalists. A couple are pointless entries for using so many bricks. I'm not into cars but The Caterham just seems like a waste considering Lego has their own vehicle lines. I dig the Adventure Time characters but has Lego ever put out a sert that's just a bunch of characters? I'm also not sure what all the hype behind the Le Petit Prince set is about, it's a good idea but it's a pretty bland looking set.

I'd much rather have seen something like this make it (even though they aren't in the running yet):

Like the AMAZING 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Or the beautiful but unlikely Jurassic Park

I'm also really digging The Parthenon

And then there's this amazing set for The Secret of Monkey Island (albeit with, again, very limited appeal)

So I am thinking of building a stand for my star wars minifigs....

I have taken apart a few of my sets and I hope that gives me enough pieces to make it... the problem is, I have no idea what kind of stand to make. I have a shelf to sit it on so I am thinking I need something with steps on it so you can see the figures in the back rows. I also want it to look decent, so I am thinking black and grey maybe? Any ideas? I wish there was something premade that you could buy.

So I am thinking of building a stand for my star wars minifigs....

I have taken apart a few of my sets and I hope that gives me enough pieces to make it... the problem is, I have no idea what kind of stand to make. I have a shelf to sit it on so I am thinking I need something with steps on it so you can see the figures in the back rows. I also want it to look decent, so I am thinking black and grey maybe? Any ideas? I wish there was something premade that you could buy.

MIfvcIZ.jpg

Here's a pic i posted a while back of my CMF stand, my wife actually made it for me (she's the handyman, don't ask) it's custom made with several wood planks (you can get these in the measures you need in every tool store etc.) glued together and fortified with screws, on top a soft tissue to make it all smooth.

It all depends on how much space you need, i want to collect ALL CMFs ever made so i needed something big to fit em all where you can see every single figure on there without having to bend backwards to see it.

pic of the whole thing

1qsp0Jo.jpg

Why did that fail the review? It's a shame LEGO haven't really given a reason, because I'm sure there must be one.

Piece count and probably getting the license as well. Yes, they had Jurassic World, but they probably needed a different one for JP.

Another issue that probably keeps huge projects like that back is a LEGO designer having to reverse engineer it. I know that many of the Ideas submissions keep some form of instructions on hand just in case LEGO needs them, but there is also probably a fair amount of back and forth with actual LEGO designers to tweak the designs to fit current piece productions and also keep piece counts down as a cost saving measure.
The larger the set is that passes Ideas, the harder and more time consuming it becomes to actually piece it together and make production quotas for it and design good instructions.

Piece count and probably getting the license as well. Yes, they had Jurassic World, but they probably needed a different one for JP.

Another issue that probably keeps huge projects like that back is a LEGO designer having to reverse engineer it. I know that many of the Ideas submissions keep some form of instructions on hand just in case LEGO needs them, but there is also probably a fair amount of back and forth with actual LEGO designers to tweak the designs to fit current piece productions and also keep piece counts down as a cost saving measure.
The larger the set is that passes Ideas, the harder and more time consuming it becomes to actually piece it together and make production quotas for it and design good instructions.

Yeah I thought licensing issues might be afoot. It would just be helpful for other Ideas creators to know the specifc reason or reasons why a set failed review. If it was piece count for example, they would know what kind of restrictions there were on that. At the moment it's a bit "cross your fingers."

3N16MA

Banned

Maybe we will get this: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/48453

Would love to see a series of brick built dinosaurs.

I'd been trying to stay away from Lego in 2015 to reign in my frivolous spending budget more this year. I had only bought three set thus far (TMNT Big Rig Snow Getaway for $34, Ultra Agents Stealth Patrol for $25, and GotG Knowhere Escape for $10!), all at steep discounts of 50% off or more. But today I found the Star Wars Rebels Ezra's Speeder Bike set on clearance for $11 at Walmart, and I thought, well, I can't have just some of the crew, so I ordered the Ghost set from Target.com, which is on sale for $70. Then I thought, but I'd still be missing Chopper, so I also bought the Phantom set from Target.com, which is on sale for $19.

I more than doubled my Lego spending for the year in a span of two hours. Ugh.

I'd been trying to stay away from Lego in 2015 to reign in my frivolous spending budget more this year. I had only bought three set thus far (TMNT Big Rig Snow Getaway for $34, Ultra Agents Stealth Patrol for $25, and GotG Knowhere Escape for $10!), all at steep discounts of 50% off or more. But today I found the Star Wars Rebels Ezra's Speeder Bike set on clearance for $11 at Walmart, and I thought, well, I can't have just some of the crew, so I ordered the Ghost set from Target.com, which is on sale for $70. Then I thought, but I'd still be missing Chopper, so I also bought the Phantom set from Target.com, which is on sale for $19.

I more than doubled my Lego spending for the year in a span of two hours. Ugh.

The correct course of action is to change LEGO purchases to necessary spending from frivolous spending. That or increase the frivolous spending budget. I recommend the former.

MIfvcIZ.jpg

Here's a pic i posted a while back of my CMF stand, my wife actually made it for me (she's the handyman, don't ask) it's custom made with several wood planks (you can get these in the measures you need in every tool store etc.) glued together and fortified with screws, on top a soft tissue to make it all smooth.

It all depends on how much space you need, i want to collect ALL CMFs ever made so i needed something big to fit em all where you can see every single figure on there without having to bend backwards to see it.

pic of the whole thing

I like it a lot. I see you have plenty of room for expansion.

As mentioned in another comment, the dust would drive me crazy. Especially since I take close up photos of minifigs a lot. For general purposes and play, if the dust is minimal, being open isn't a big deal.

Woorloog

Banned
So this happened:
Shitty phone picture but whatever.

Didn't have to walk 5 kilometers, a much closer store had one...
*sigh*

Should get the TIE Fighter as well but that will have to wait till it is on sale, it is way too overpriced as it is.

EDIT BTW, i modified the droid slot instantly, replacing the 2x2 jumper plate with a standard 2x2 plate, as the BB-8 figure's anti-stud is very loose. Now it is a PITA to attach but at least it stays there.

ThisOne

Why did that fail the review? It's a shame LEGO haven't really given a reason, because I'm sure there must be one.

Really curious too. It would have made a great set. Probably the most disappointing unapproved Ideas set thus far for me. I'm sure it had to do with licensing.

I like it a lot. I see you have plenty of room for expansion.

As mentioned in another comment, the dust would drive me crazy. Especially since I take close up photos of minifigs a lot. For general purposes and play, if the dust is minimal, being open isn't a big deal.

If you need a certain fig for a display or a photo or whatever, you can always take that one off and quickly dust it then put it back later though.

Unfortunately i really don't see any other way of having a whole armada of minifigs next to each other in an enclosed space like that. It would probably always involve separate enclosed display cases or something similar which just isn't the same.

Hmmm, a giant glass dome over the shelf would solve both problems but that does sound pretty utopian to me ;)

If you need a certain fig for a display or a photo or whatever, you can always take that one off and quickly dust it then put it back later though.

Unfortunately i really don't see any other way of having a whole armada of minifigs next to each other in an enclosed space like that. It would probably always involve separate enclosed display cases or something similar which just isn't the same.

Hmmm, a giant glass dome over the shelf would solve both problems but that does sound pretty utopian to me ;)

Transparent plastic tent or box with curtains. :)
I've thought about rigging up a cheap box frame then use shrinkwrap to make a giant clear cover.

It's all a tradeoff of things. Since dust isn't an issue for you, that is an awesome setup and I would love to have mine like that with easy access and easy visibility of all of the minifigs. My OCD just trumps that.

You are right about most solutions will have them enclosed in cases or shadow box frames like Ribba frames.

My ideal storage would be giant shadow box frames with a hinge door for easy access.
Something like this (which is way too expensive for me):

http://www.shadowboxes.com/SoftContent/Products.aspx?p=Shadow-Boxes-1

In the meantime, I am sticking to these:

Random Bruce Banner Hulk minifig photo just because.

Osahi

Just building the Falcon. I can't express how much I love the way this thing looks (gaps between pizza slices on top or not). The outside is impressive, the interiour rocks. Just awesome.

Great build too, even if there is some repetetition going on. A tad to much stickers to my taste, but most went pretty good (the round ones with the hole in the middle sucked though). The instructions can be a bit confusing from time to time too. The angle in which the craft is depicted makes it hard to figure out where a certain block goes for instance (e.g. because it is partly blocked out by another). Also, sometimes there is some fiddling with blocks between others or behind others, which can be difficult for bigger hands.

But overall? One of the best sets I personally own. Right up there with the Modulars on the 'this thing looks so good I want to hug it all day long'-place in my Lego-loving-heart

Osahi

Wall-E get! Wonder how sturdy the European version is, with supposedly correct parts. We'll find out!

Not. EU version suffers from the same problem as the USA one. I'm not sure why it was pulled there and not here, but I supose it has to do with another problem...

But still, enjoy the set. It is really great looking and I found the problem not all that dealbreaking because you still have a lot of posability without head-swivels when you keep the head on a horizontal axis...

Not. EU version suffers from the same problem as the USA one. I'm not sure why it was pulled there and not here, but I supose it has to do with another problem...

I imagine Europe to be a smaller market, so maybe it's just easier to fix it after-the-fact here (if indeed they do), whereas in the US it's cheaper to get to the sets before they're in the wild.

kitzkozan

I'm guessing that the Lego movie line will eventually be discontinued soon, along with ultra agent. The super cycle chase will soon be sold out permanently on lego S@H (and it's becoming rare in most stores I checked out recently), which is a not so subtle hint that it's time to collect what's left on the shelves.

The best sets in the Lego movie theme were considered to be (subjective, but still):

Benny's Spaceship X 3 ( I own)
MetalBeard's Sea Cow
Double-Decker Couch
Super Cycle Chase
Super Secret Police Dropship (I own)

I think those are the best for various reasons, right? It's either a great value for the money such as the DD couch and the amount of minifigs for the $$$ or great looking models + fun build.

Modulars aside, now that I've got SPACESHIP! the Sea Cow is the one set I want more than any other. I'm finding it too hard to pay £170 for it though, and I think it's going to disappear before it goes down in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom