• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

I mentioned that before. Unfold the box for a diorama.
I'm surprised they haven't just done a set. Put in the security room, the hall where Ben and Vader fights, a way to move TIE fighters(not included) into position and enough room to fit either two TIE variants, the Tydirium or the Falcon. Docking Bay 327 comes with 6 stormtroopers(2 with Han and Luke faces), 2 officers, a mouse droid, Vader and Ben.

papluh

It is hard to say what will be the size, the ratio pieces/pages differs over themes, years and evens set types (as expected).
Just taking the SW part, there are the smaller UCS with lower density. And then there is the renewed Death Star where the instructions were not "diluted to easy mode" and are still quite dense.
So one theory is that if they could keep the 'density' of instructions for new DS similar to the old set, they could do the same for the MF. This could bring us over 7k pieces with similar ratio as old MF and ~500 pages.
...or they go with less pieces, high Disney tax and lot of non-instruction pages in the manual (like Porsche)

Code:
Creator Expert	10189 Taj Mahal			176	pages	5922	pieces	33,6	ratio
Creator Expert	10253 Big Ben			211	pages	4163	pieces	19,7	ratio
Creator Expert	10255 Assembly Square		308	pages	4002	pieces	13,0	ratio
Creator Expert	10257 Carousel			196	pages	2670	pieces	13,6	ratio
Ideas 		21309 Saturn V			200	pages	1969	pieces	9,8	ratio
Technic		42055 BWE			552	pages	3929	pieces	7,1	ratio
Technic		42056 Porsche 911 GT3		580	pages	2704	pieces	4,7	ratio
Disney		71040 Disney Castle		491	pages	4080	pieces	8,3	ratio
PotC		71042 Silent Mary		264	pages	2294	pieces	8,7	ratio
SW		10179 UCS Millennium Falcon	316	pages	5197	pieces	16,4	ratio
SW		10188 Death Star (2008)		264	pages	3803	pieces	14,4	ratio
SW		75060 Slave 1			299	pages	1996	pieces	6,7	ratio
SW		75144 Snowspeeder		318	pages	1703	pieces	5,4	ratio
SW		75159 Death Star (2016)		299	pages	4016	pieces	13,4	ratio
GB		75827 Firehouse HQ		419	pages	4634	pieces	11,1	ratio

Ponn

Banned
the LEGO twitter is really bad at being coy

This has to go down as TLG worse secret. Now they are just acting like that person that keeps telling you about your Christmas present they got you. They spoil it way before they realize it and then just finally straight up tell you.

Speaking of Christmas every year my family just goes in together and gets me one big thing for Christmas because they never know what to get me otherwise. They just told me they would pay for the Falcon if I want it. I literally accepted I could never afford it and was not going to get it. I'm kinda stunned.

This has to go down as TLG worse secret. Now they are just acting like that person that keeps telling you about your Christmas present they got you. They spoil it way before they realize it and then just finally straight up tell you.

I'm sure they've known for ages that everyone knows already, now they're just having some fun with it. The fact that it's such an open secret is the joke.

Osahi

Speaking of Christmas every year my family just goes in together and gets me one big thing for Christmas because they never know what to get me otherwise. They just told me they would pay for the Falcon if I want it. I literally accepted I could never afford it and was not going to get it. I'm kinda stunned.
Wow, that's great of your family! My parents give me a nice amount of money each year ("we rather have you enjoy it know so we can see it, then have you have it as inheritence"), but no way I can convince my wife I can put it toward a 700 or 800 euro Lego set, no matter how big it is.

Not sure I convince myself even. I allready get sweaty palms at the prospect of spending 350 for Ninjago City. And then there is the fact I won't have space to display the Falcon anyway;

DonShula

Wow, that's great of your family! My parents give me a nice amount of money each year ("we rather have you enjoy it know so we can see it, then have you have it as inheritence"), but no way I can convince my wife I can put it toward a 700 or 800 euro Lego set, no matter how big it is.

Not sure I convince myself even. I allready get sweaty palms at the prospect of spending 350 for Ninjago City. And then there is the fact I won't have space to display the Falcon anyway;

You described me pretty much. There are $350 sets I've just not been able to convince myself to buy, And here is the Falcon costing more than double that.

Plum

Your family sounds awesome! I'd ask my immediate family to pool together and get me it but I'd probably look rather silly when I need a laptop for University. I dunno though, they've literally said I deserve a big present this year so I could push my luck.

I'm fine spending <£200 on sets but above that things get a lot more difficult. Spending £220 on the Tower Bridge last year was a massive ask (especially since it was my first set after the dark ages) but spending £600-£700 on the Falcon is on a whole other level.

Haines

Banned
My technic bucket wheel excavator for 50% off arrived today.

Both builds will happen. But im guessing over the winter. so it will probably sit a while.

DonShula

My technic bucket wheel excavator for 50% off arrived today.

Both builds will happen. But im guessing over the winter. so it will probably sit a while.

You have room to just leave that stuff hanging around for six months? :)

This is normally a joke but I'm starting to look at storage units (in preparation of putting the house on the market). I hid all of my latest haul in a suitcase. Running out of places to store unopened Lego boxes.

So I found a Ultimate Bridge Battle 76057 for $50 and ended up getting it, even though it didn't feel like as good of a deal compared to some of the other sets I've found. Especially when it's half a bridge. Does it feel like you need another set to complete the build?

Also is Creationary worth tracking down? I could probably piece together a makeshift version cheaper than finding a complete game.

Ponn

Banned
Yea I love my family, some times. Not all of them though.

I agree with the sentiments that its a very hard buy otherwise. There are so many great large sets out right now that would be more bang for your buck together than one set. I'm ecstatic to have this opportunity though because I know this would be one of the regrets that would eat me up inside.

You have room to just leave that stuff hanging around for six months? :)

This is normally a joke but I'm starting to look at storage units (in preparation of putting the house on the market). I hid all of my latest haul in a suitcase. Running out of places to store unopened Lego boxes.

When you get to the storage and display conversations of Lego buying its over. Its done, just accept who you have become and you have reached full "one of us" status. Congratulations!! Start looking into a Lego room now. It may not be a dedicated room but a room you are going to co-opt, your bedroom, a kids room, even the bathroom. Start clearing out a whole closet for the empty boxes. You think breaking them down is enough at first but no, its never enough. They just keep piling up. If you can get a storage unit for your backlog sets that would be awesome. Hiding sets is impossible at a certain point. I guess maybe if you stack them to resemble a couch and throw a sofa cover over them that could work.

Jimrpg

I'm fine spending <£200 on sets but above that things get a lot more difficult. Spending £220 on the Tower Bridge last year was a massive ask (especially since it was my first set after the dark ages) but spending £600-£700 on the Falcon is on a whole other level.

Yeah I don't buy the Lego Star Wars stuff, but I'd have to ask myself whether I would buy a AU$1000 Modular set just to keep the collection going... damn, I'm going to say I'd give it a miss. Even Assembly Square was a bit of a stretch honestly, but a good discount on that made me pull the trigger. $1000 could go a long way in other forms of entertainment... like go on a holiday.

Props to whoever is getting the Falcon though.

When you get to the storage and display conversations of Lego buying its over. Its done, just accept who you have become and you have reached full "one of us" status. Congratulations!! Start looking into a Lego room now. It may not be a dedicated room but a room you are going to co-opt, your bedroom, a kids room, even the bathroom. Start clearing out a whole closet for the empty boxes. You think breaking them down is enough at first but no, its never enough. They just keep piling up. If you can get a storage unit for your backlog sets that would be awesome. Hiding sets is impossible at a certain point. I guess maybe if you stack them to resemble a couch and throw a sofa cover over them that could work.

Haha yeah its inevitable isn't it? My absolute dream house will have 3 spare rooms for all my stuff, but in reality it'll probably be just the one spare room for lego and consoles.

Currently I'm storing my sets in these which I get from Daiso -

27731.jpg

These make it easy to keep see all the pieces, build and pack and store in the one box. Anything around 500 pieces and the box works well, at 700ish pieces, it becomes a little bit more difficult to find things. It's fine for kids for now and they can mix the sets if they choose to, I do have to do a bit of sorting to sometimes to get the set back to the original pieces. I'm not sure if and when I'll combine everything like most Lego fans do.

LEGO should have released it on April 1st. Lack of leaked photos would have driven people crazy thinking it may be an April Fools joke.

So I found a Ultimate Bridge Battle 76057 for $50 and ended up getting it, even though it didn't feel like as good of a deal compared to some of the other sets I've found. Especially when it's half a bridge. Does it feel like you need another set to complete the build?

Also is Creationary worth tracking down? I could probably piece together a makeshift version cheaper than finding a complete game.
Bridge Battle is worth it at full price. Half price makes it even better. Even if the build were half as good as it is (and it is very good), it would be worth it for the figures alone.
Enjoy your awesome set. Ghostmind will sing the praises harder than I will. It was his #1 last year.

ninge

Get two ;-)

_Rob_

Just finished putting together the Assembly Square last night, great fun. Unfortunately I'll be sending it back, I can't believe Lego would have the gall to call it a "square" when it's clearly a rectangle, for shame.

Something that I didn't realise I was doing until now though; lining up the Lego logos on as many pieces as possible so that they all face the same direction. Does anyone else find themselves doing this, or am I just a crazy person?

willp2003

Something that I didn't realise I was doing until now though; lining up the Lego logos on as many pieces as possible so that they all face the same direction. Does anyone else find themselves doing this, or am I just a crazy person?

Yep I made sure all those 1x2 tile pieces (don't know exact name) were all the same way!

I've been meaning to bring that up actually. I totally do that. I'm wondering if it's just insane or if I should just lean into it. I base my method for doing this on the angle of the build in the instruction booklet but then builds get turned around so they're not facing the same way anymore... Do Lego do this in product photos, I wonder?

DBT85

Finished Ecto-1 last night just as General Grievous arrived. Love all the little details on the roof. Kind of making me want the firehouse and the new Ecto.

I do not do this. The bits on on in whatever orientation they come.

Andrin

I always line the logo on the pieces up as much as possible, with correct alignment from the front having highest priority, and then left to right when that's not possible. It makes the building process slower, but I don't really mind. There's something almost Zen-like in aligning the bricks properly for me, and it does make the end result look better.

valkyre

Do you think the new MF has a chance of including a properly detailed underside, or will it be just plates like the previous one?

Osahi

I remember it was one of the things we talked about when my wife and I built our first modular (and came out of our Dark ages): would there be people lining up those bricks with the logo's to one side.

I figured at the moment that was impossible, as you have building going on on multiple axes, but lo and behold, I should've known OCD's prevail everywhere.

Boogiepop

I'm OCD enough to try to make sure I put those little obvious injection points or whatever on the window glass pieces all face the same way on a model, but... the logos are a bridge too far for me. Hadn't even considered that, to be honest.

Speaking of piece alignment, any tips for getting 1x1s to be properly squared up on the grid?

I either use the side of the orange prybar if it came with that set, or I just push the flat end(s) against my table after I attach all the 1x1s. It usually comes out straight enough for my liking.

nny

Yeah, I do that. If that's crazy, I don't want to be sane.

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

The only logo-alignment I've bothered with so far are the doorknobs, I try to make sure that the logo is horizontal. Otherwise I don't bother.

On a different note, when you guys are doing MOC's, are you including some kind of play feature? I have an idea for a small MOC (I don't have that many pieces, and considering my dark age just ended probably not that much building skill) and looking at videos for the modulars, a lot of them seem to include fun little features such a the break-in through the chimney or money laundring on the Brickbank. I think these really set official sets apart from a lot of MOC's that I've seen.

papluh

I too align doorknobs. And some visible ornaments on sets like modulars. But usually it is just the 1x1s and such.
Plates and such I don't care ... hmm, I should check the roof of the London Bus now

ghostmind

Aligning the logos is a thing?

I'm just happy to not forget missing a piece in the instructions.

I guess I do align plates to minimize gaps on floors, etc.

Osahi

Destiny's Bounty arrived! Look, I know the piece count and price put it in the same region as modulars, but flipping trough the manual still suprised me how big a set this actually is.

willp2003

Do people have all these different way round then?

JVCoZ4y.jpg

I'm not OCD about anything really but I did make sure all these tiles on AS had the moulding bit on one side.

EREsLdq.jpg

Edit: crap, Photobucket used to work. Will update....

DBT85

Ya'll crazy.

Just finished Grievous. Looks great and was fun to build. As my first contraction though it felt odd. Like it wasn't really LEGO as so many bits were new and weird and stuff.

Pleased with it though!

I'm not too OCD about LEGO positioning, but I do like to make sure the window panes are all aligned the same, or at least the same pattern of how they're positioned between different windows.

I would lie if I say I did not consider to align the Lego logos, but soon I noticed that due to the nowadays building technics it was impossible. So I don´t mind anymore.

But as many here, I do align the logo in some cases, like doorknobs. And I also align the moulding points. And crazy align any small tile...

Top Bottom