• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ericb!

Neo Member
I mean just like Nintendo, it's on Lego to meet demand. If I'm completely unable to order a UCS Falcon from them before it retires (either because they lowball production to keep demand at a fever pitch and/or scalpers snatch them up as fast as they can make em), I know Lepin will happily sell me one for a fraction of the price and zero headache. Just like if I'm unable to buy an NES Classic again, I'm just going to buy a retropi.

I disagree with this sense of entitlement.

willp2003

Seen the issue of displaying the falcon come up a lot.

Those who are getting one. How do you plan on solving this issue

Mine's gonna have to live on the spare bed for now. I can tuck it in at night! :)
Will need to pick up a bit of board for it to sit on though.
I'll work out something else when I actually see how big it is. Will probably have to move house though!

Snaku

Banned
I disagree with this sense of entitlement.

It's not entitlement. TLC is a business that sells product with a limited lifespan. Nobody is forcing them to stop producing these sets after two years of production, that's a completely self imposed limitation. If I am unable to buy one before it's retired, I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm a grown ass adult working full time and going to school full time. I don't have the time or energy to fight scalpers, online or in store, over this shit. TLC can fix the scalping problem by making enough sets to meet demand.

ericb!

Neo Member
It's not entitlement. TLC is a business that sells product with a limited lifespan. Nobody is forcing them to stop producing these sets after two years of production, that's a completely self imposed limitation. If I am unable to buy one before it's retired, I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm a grown ass adult working full time and going to school full time. I don't have the time or energy to fight scalpers, online or in store, over this shit. TLC can fix the scalping problem by making enough sets to meet demand.

Nor should LEGO or Nintendo be forced to create enough inventory so that everyone is satisfied. Thinking otherwise is simply being out of touch with reality. Don't expect life to be fair.

Snaku

Banned
Nor should LEGO or Nintendo be forced to create enough inventory so that everyone is satisfied. Thinking otherwise is simply being out of touch with reality. Don't expect life to be fair.

Do I sound bitter? There are alternatives, I'm not going to lose any sleep if I can't get the real thing.

Damn you all! You made me buy Destiny's Bounty even though I'm technically not supposed to do any shopping until in a week. But it feels silly to spend 30-40€ more in a week.

Do I sound bitter? There are alternatives, I'm not going to lose any sleep if I can't get the real thing.

As long as alternatives are legal, you can discuss them here. Otherwise not, and it is up to you to be in peace with it. I mean, if I want a Ferrari, not only I have to work hard to get the money for it but also fight for the right to buy it. How dare they made them in so limit numbers?

ericb!

Neo Member

That was the point of my original response. You sound as though you're entitled to something, therefore justifying purchasing products from companies violating others' intellectual property rights.

Snaku

Banned
As long as alternatives are legal, you can discuss them here. Otherwise not, and it is up to you to be in peace with it. I mean, if I want a Ferrari, not only I have to work hard to get the money for it but also fight for the right to buy it. How dare they made them in so limit numbers?

Aha, what? Comparing a luxury high performance sports car to injection molded plastic pumped out by an automated assembly line? Lego could make UCS Falcons till the end of time without bother if they wanted.

That was the point of my original response. You sound as though you're entitled to something, therefore justifying purchasing products from companies violating others' intellectual property rights.

I'll try to buy it over the next two years, just like any Lego set. I'd never buy a clone of a set that's still available at retail. But if TLC can't meet demand and I miss out on it, I'm not going to reward the scalpers by paying them a 200-300% mark up. I'll still want the set, and there's no justification necessary for buying the set where I can. Lego retired it, they don't want my money, so they won't get it. If they offered EoL sets on demand at a small mark up I'd readily give them my money for older sets. No question.

Ponn

Banned

They will have stock before it retires in two years. I guarantee it, you are creating a scenario to be upset about that's not going to happen. This is not a NES classic scenario, it's more of a Switch scenario and it's very far from unheard of. It all comes down to patience.

OT I've been helping my sister. She lost her 3 cats in the hurricane and her house is lost. We salvaged some stuff and a friend is letting her stay at a rental for now. She's going to settle with insurance and FEMA but I think she's going to sell her property to the city, they've been trying to buy it from her for years to build a bigger road. I'm just afraid of them undercutting her because of what happened.

With my degrading health and eyesight I was originally planning on moving down there so she could help me take care of our disabled mom but I think the plan now is she is going to move up here instead. So this may all work out in the end it's just really depressing at the moment. She's beating herself up bad about not coming up to stay with me before the hurricane that would have saved her cats. Again trying to be optimistic. If we go in together and buy a house up here I'm damn sure gonna have a Lego room.

Plum

Destiny's Bounty is at £75 on Amazon UK right now...

...not a set I'd ever really have bought at RRP, but at that price, can't say I'm not tempted, especially since BB-8 has gone back up to full price. £0.03 per piece is insane.

EDIT: Fuck, sorry to hear about that, Ponn.

Seen the issue of displaying the falcon come up a lot.

Those who are getting one. How do you plan on solving this issue

The build I'll do with my five year old son. I'll be pointing at the manual and he'll be snapping the bricks into place.

Once it has been built the hunt will be on for a shadow box display case that you can use as a coffee table. Then it will live in the gaming room or the library.

Aha, what? Comparing a luxury high performance sports car to injection molded plastic pumped out by an automated assembly line? Lego could make UCS Falcons till the end of time without bother if they wanted..

And so can Ferrari produce as many units as VW Golfs but they decide to make each model a limited release.

Yeah, I agree that It is an extreme exemple but the principle applies: you are not entitled to a compensation or something because you could not get what you want. You can choose to not support a company, not to buy their products but cannot say if I can't buy it I will steal it (what is exactly what those clone companies AND their customers do).

Edited: Ponn sorry for your sister's cats, think that everything else is replaceable and the you are both fine.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How are here not near-hourly updates on Falcon building?

Haines

Banned
Now that it looks like I won't be getting the MF this year, I need a Destiny's bounty sale in the US...

I can see the set hitting discount many times over. Just deoends on what type of discount you want i guess.

Im going to try and hold off for 30% here in canada.

Osahi

They will have stock before it retires in two years. I guarantee it, you are creating a scenario to be upset about that's not going to happen. This is not a NES classic scenario, it's more of a Switch scenario and it's very far from unheard of. It all comes down to patience.

OT I've been helping my sister. She lost her 3 cats in the hurricane and her house is lost. We salvaged some stuff and a friend is letting her stay at a rental for now. She's going to settle with insurance and FEMA but I think she's going to sell her property to the city, they've been trying to buy it from her for years to build a bigger road. I'm just afraid of them undercutting her because of what happened.

With my degrading health and eyesight I was originally planning on moving down there so she could help me take care of our disabled mom but I think the plan now is she is going to move up here instead. So this may all work out in the end it's just really depressing at the moment. She's beating herself up bad about not coming up to stay with me before the hurricane that would have saved her cats. Again trying to be optimistic. If we go in together and buy a house up here I'm damn sure gonna have a Lego room.

Damn, horrible. Irma hit you guys hard. I hope everything sorts itself out soon, so your family can land back on their feet asap.

ruxtpin

Banned
That's rough heartbreaking news Ponn. I don't chime into this thread that often, but I hope all the best for your sister, family, and you.

F34R

If the cats are merely missing, keep the hope. We lost a dog and a cat during a hurricane, and the cat showed up a month later, the dog 6 months later. Just showed up at the house. Hope everything works out for you family.

Sorry to hear, man. That certainly brings perspective to what matters in life.

I get your sis might not have a choice but ya, seems like she's at a big disadvantage in negotiating with the city under the circumstances.

boltz

Best wishes to you and your family, hope everything works out.

On the topic of the MF, with the huge demand, I wonder how much higher Lego could've gotten away with pricing it. All of you guys who have bought one or are actively looking, would you still have picked it up if MSRP was $1000 or even higher?

F34R

On the topic of the MF, with the huge demand, I wonder how much higher Lego could've gotten away with pricing it. All of you guys who have bought one or are actively looking, would you still have picked it up if MSRP was $1000 or even higher?

I barely brought myself for the current price. Any higher, and it would only be to hold it and sell it years down.

Ryuuroden

If they had gone higher they would of needed more pieces and even more interior and stuff imo. On that note, I am on bag 6 now. It is really starting to take shape, I have built a couple of the interior rooms. I really like what they did to give the illusion of pathways. I can also see lots of possibilities for customization and modification further. I think this build will really allow for people to make this their own. Lego even left hollow locations within that will definitely allow large battery and wiring paths to completely light the thing up or if you didn't want to light it I see possibilities of expanding the interior. I will definitely be planning something myself.

willp2003

Yeah I'd seen in the brickset review that there were some gaps for battery boxes etc. I don't have any lighting kits, but have started to look. I'm also looking at modding the engines, and probably remove all the green pieces from it. I also don't like the dark grey on one of the mandibles.

DBT85

We'll despite me ordering as early as I did on Thursday, my set is still in the warehouse apparently. I called to make sure its actually going to happen and apparently it is.

Clearly they were not sending them out in the order they were ordered.

_Rob_

I'd like to get both the Ninjago City and the Old Fishing Store, but my Lego budget in October will only stretch to one of the two. Does anyone here have both yet, can anyone weigh in as to which they preferred of the two?

F34R

I'd like to get both the Ninjago City and the Old Fishing Store, but my Lego budget in October will only stretch to one of the two. Does anyone here have both yet, can anyone weigh in as to which they preferred of the two?

I have them both, but I haven't opened either of them yet lol.

Ryuuroden

Fishing store may get discounts on Amazon eventually. I don't think ninjago city will ever see a discount but I could be wrong. Plus if you get ninjago city you will have gotten the costlier set out of the way. I have a feeling that ninjago city is a much more interesting build. Ofs is a basic build although it looks amazing.

Ninjago City is the far superior build. Fishing Store is an okay build, but looks amazing.

leng jai

Not a fan of the Ninjago City at all personally, looks ridiculous and not in a good way. Isn't it twice as expensive as OFS as well?

OFS has a really boring build, but that's never been something I have cared about. It is absolutely gorgeous though with a suitably rustic vibe to it. Seems reasonably priced compared to Lego's recent offerings too.

I am looking at Old Fishing Store like Grand Emporium. It is a mundane and kind of boring build with a few cool techniques in there (GE had more though), but the end results are so good looking you don't really care.

Osahi

I'm only two bags into OFS, but it's indeed not the most exciting build so far. It looks amazing though. I think you should choose based on your budget. Can you spare the extra cash Ninjago City costs? I've spreak my purchases out. Bought OFS on release, will get NC on double VIP.

As I didn't have a lot of time to build a new bag of OFS, but needed some quick winddown time building, I opened my Ninjago City Chase set today. Fun little set. Quite simple to put together, but it looks great (the tuk-tuk is really cool) and the stand is a way nicer thing then the usual 'flat building' they put in these type of sets. 5 figs too, which is amazing. Can't wait to include this little vignette in Ninjago City.

Osahi

Still think they should have added a fishing boat to the OFS, would have made it truly complete.

Would've pushed it to a 200 set too I'm affraid. I agree it would be a nice companion though. City often has boats, but the color scheme would clash and it would probably be to modern. I think our only hope is the Creator 1 in 3 line doing an old style boat once. Or moccing...

Edit: or this Ideas set gets 10k ànd approval

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/51e55f5d-6dd1-489b-9c15-ce4774da702c

leng jai

Would've pushed it to a 200 set too I'm affraid. I agree it would be a nice companion though. City often has boats, but the color scheme would clash and it would probably be to modern. I think our only hope is the Creator 1 in 3 line doing an old style boat once. Or moccing...

Edit: or this Ideas set gets 10k ànd approval

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/51e55f5d-6dd1-489b-9c15-ce4774da702c

I was thinking something smaller than that. I would have accepted a $220 price tag if they threw in a decent boat and another minifig. Not sure why they threw the cat in, pretty useless.

Fishing store may get discounts on Amazon eventually. I don't think ninjago city will ever see a discount but I could be wrong. Plus if you get ninjago city you will have gotten the costlier set out of the way. I have a feeling that ninjago city is a much more interesting build. Ofs is a basic build although it looks amazing.

Temple of Aitjitzu saw a good discount. I feel Ninjago City may meet a similar fate. Pure speculation. Ninjago City I think has a more limited appeal to AFOL crowd than Temple and may have more of an appeal to the kid crowd. Unfortunately kids don't have deep pocketbooks and non-AFOL parents are unlikely to unload $$$ for the set for their kids.

Speculation again, but I think LEGO is discounting those larger sets if sales aren't healthy due to many, many large sets coming out of their pipeline. LEGO has saturated the market and is eating into their own sales.

DBT85

It's finally been dispatched.

BJOCxpG.gif

Think I'm gonna grab Palace Cinema this week. I keep putting it off but I want something to build and I know I'll somehow screw up and miss it because I forget or something.

Holy shit i just finished Wall-E (LTTP on this one) and even though i had it sitting there for so long in my backlog and i saw tons and tons of pics of it online, i just was NOT prepared for so much awesomeness in one go! It looks absolutely stunning when done!!! Those eyes pretty much make the set!

Ugh I fucked up bad on the F40. Turns out I put a connector piece the wrong way in the beginning of the build and I have no choice but to take the whole thing apart :( haha.

Oh well, could be worse.

Top Bottom