• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Koren

I got this for christmas in 1987

https://brickset.com/sets/6990-1/Monorail-Transport-System
RRP: $155

I just put the figures in an inflation calculator. That's $ 335 today.
Damn... When you're a child, you don't always understand the cost. But I loves this set, and still do. I remember my parents calling the postal service because it was late and about to arrive before we left for vacations... Summer 86 or 87, don't remember.

Oh I didn't know that - interesting. Because I was in the office, the box definitely looked smaller than the Palace Cinema box and now that I'm home, it is indeed which is interesting because Parisian Restaurant has 200 more pieces. (I haven't opened up either of them yet - I have a Lego backlog....)

I also have Assembly Square so I guess that goes in the middle then. I always thought Palace Cinema looked like it had a very tall 1st floor, compared to the other buildings. It's probably the roof that makes taller.
Parisian restaurant has better inside features. And it's a far better, detailed build.

Assembly square is a bit lower, and with smaller buildings, but it's still great and massive.

I haven't got the last two modulars and the only reason I feel badly is because I'm "breaking the chain" or something.
Can't really fault Lego with AS, though, I'd say...

But I do wonder if they don't put too many expensive sets on sale...

Ponn

Banned
Os it possible to buy the Bricktober packs, right?

Anyone willing to help a gaf member getting ithe Batman pack please let me know. I will pay for the international shipping and any reasonable fee of yours. Payment by PayPal.

Thanks.

I'm going to be going for the Batman pack. It depends if you have to purchase stuff or not and if they limit you but I'll try and get an extra one.

papluh

For me to get some reasonable numbers, I'd need to split the purchases of older from current sets. I still have a big wanted list, but most of the missed sets with good desirability/price ration that I have missed in the Dark Ages or "less-budgeted" childhood were purchased in the first 2-3 years being an AFOL.
So if I look at the totals, it is possible that the yearly sum is going down, probably even the number of sets. But the cost of current sets is going up, just because there are more and more.
Also goes for parts. Before I was just jumping on any bulk lots that I could find. Now my storage is quite full so I have to pick what to get which drives down the total yearly cost on parts.

papluh

maybe old news, but I did not realize until now the reason for the expression on the LEGO House dinos :D
hint: look under their leg
23482965698_938a1d2972_c.jpg

Plum

Thinking about buying a Winter set to get out each holiday. I used to have the old Winter Train but that's long gone, so I've got to get something new.

Toy Shop or Train? Which one would be a better purchase for pure decorative value at Christmas?

Thinking about buying a Winter set to get out each holiday. I used to have the old Winter Train but that's long gone, so I've got to get something new.

Toy Shop or Train? Which one would be a better purchase for pure decorative value at Christmas?

The Train is terrific - I'd go with that one.

The Toy Shop is nice (I have the old one, not the new one) but I think without other buildings it doesn't work as well as a standalone as the train.

DBT85

So as per general advice from some of you I've picked the next model to start.

Just opened the Death Star.

Points of note.

The instructions are maaaaasisiiiiveeee.

There are many, many bags.

Hohoho. Pics tomorrow.

Plum

The Train is terrific - I'd go with that one.

The Toy Shop is nice (I have the old one, not the new one) but I think without other buildings it doesn't work as well as a standalone as the train.

Hmmm. Well I asked my family and they preferred the toy shop.

Family over GAF, sorry :(

Plum

Just bought Destiny's Bounty for £90 on Amazon. £50 less than the OFS (set I was previously looking at getting alongside the Toy Shop) and with almost 300 extra pieces. I wasn't too enthused before but now I'm really quite liking the look of the thing. Should be a good independent display piece for my new uni digs. Really looking forward to it.

I would tell you the toy shop too. Train is nicer but takes a lot of space, unless you place the tracks around your tree.

That's a good thing to consider, yeah. Toy Shop it is then. Should I buy it now to build later or buy it later to build immediately? How is the availability of the Christmas/Winter sets around Christmas time?

That's a good thing to consider, yeah. Toy Shop it is then. Should I buy it now to build later or buy it later to build immediately? How is the availability of the Christmas/Winter sets around Christmas time?

It is on sale on July and will probably be again before the end of the year, but also keep in my mind that it may retire this year.

Just bought Destiny's Bounty for £90 on Amazon. £50 less than the OFS (set I was previously looking at getting alongside the Toy Shop) and with almost 300 extra pieces. I wasn't too enthused before but now I'm really quite liking the look of the thing. Should be a good independent display piece for my new uni digs. Really looking forward to it.

I'm also thinking about buying that one. I'm not a collector of the Ninjago theme, but this ship would be a very nice display piece indeed.

Saw Logan Lucky on Monday and that was a lot of fun. Today was Kingsman which was okay. IT is great, but see Mother! in a theater for the mindfuck.
I loved Black Swan in theater so that's why I want to see Mother. I don't know anything about it other than that people seem to not know what to say.

I loved Black Swan in theater so that's why I want to see Mother. I don't know anything about it other than that people seem to not know what to say.
See it in a loud theater with great sound. Strap in and wait. The less you know the better.
I want to see it again to see how differently it plays knowing what is coming.

simplyred

Neo Member
See it in a loud theater with great sound. Strap in and wait. The less you know the better.
I want to see it again to see how differently it plays knowing what is coming.
“IT” has its moments, besides that not as thrilling. Mother on the other hand is recommended! I can see it a second time.

Plum

It is on sale on July and will probably be again before the end of the year, but also keep in my mind that it may retire this year.

Hmmm, well I have to get it before Christmas (of course lol) so I'll just keep looking around to see if it's on sale anywhere. There's no rush, really, as long as it's in stock I should be fine.

Not got around to opening any yet. Little miss has been hitching a fit since about 4 today, it's now nearly 10 lol.

But yes.

The sea of grey shall be done. Wondering if I've enough boxes to mix it in!

Ha, I always thought your pics were just in the condition you bought your set in. What other restrictions do you give yourself during set builds, beer goggles? Hand cuffs?

Ponn

Banned
Damn, i have been super stressed for weeks now and this is just hitting me right now. This is going to sound corny as hell but i dont care, i love all you LegoGAFfers. This community has helped me through some really tough times in the past and continues to do so. Im actually tearing up right now damn it Phon. You are my Lego Bro for life thank you so much. If they dont ship your UCS Falcon soon let me know and i will go to their warehouse and make it happen.

Damn, i have been super stressed for weeks now and this is just hitting me right now. This is going to sound corny as hell but i dont care, i love all you LegoGAFfers. This community has helped me through some really tough times in the past and continues to do so. Im actually tearing up right now damn it Phon. You are my Lego Bro for life thank you so much. If they dont ship your UCS Falcon soon let me know and i will go to their warehouse and make it happen.

NtIr0bi.gif

R-User!

I worried about you when the storm was hitting your area, and I can say that that feeling must stem from some form of love for our fellow LEGOgaffers.

^encapsulates my feelings perfectly... :)

I worried about you when the storm was hitting your area, and I can say that that feeling must stem from some form of love for our fellow LEGOgaffers.

^encapsulates my feelings perfectly... :)

LEGO-GAF is best GAF.

Keep on, keepin on, my brothers and sisters of the brick.

Love LegoGAF you are true brothers.

DBT85

Ha, I always thought your pics were just in the condition you bought your set in. What other restrictions do you give yourself during set builds, beer goggles? Hand cuffs?
Lol.

Actually the ones I've bought used I've done by the bag to make sure I have all the parts. It's only the new sealed ones I do like this.

My only other handicap is having a 6 week old baby!

As I said before I mix it up just to stretch out the build a bit longer. I power through otherwise and I'm always annoyed then it's all done as it's all gone!

As it happens, I also love the rustle of LEGO and I like trying to find one part among a few thousand! Probably 85% of the time I have little issue finding the parts I need. Just get used to scanning the whole pile for all the parts in that step the same as you do if you just have the one collection of bags. Though I think a lot of you might empty them all and then pile the different parts up. Heathens.

Only time it's a bit annoying is when the instructions don't particularly clearly show the difference between a grey or a silver part, commonly it's 2x1 plate grills that I'm like "is that grey or silver?".

I know it's not for most people, but this is how I played with LEGO as a kid. Empty the big red buckets on the floor and go! Rustle rustle, build build, rustle rustle, build build, sleep, scream as you step on some in the night. Lol

I know it's not for most people, but this is how I played with LEGO as a kid. Empty the big red buckets on the floor and go! Rustle rustle, build build, rustle rustle, build build, sleep, scream as you step on some in the night. Lol

I figured it was a nostalgia trip. One of the many embarrassing "oh that's different" moments I had getting back into Lego recently was the number bags.

I've got a small Fire Truck I might try that method out on.

I finished Destiny's Bounty! Such a pretty ship! There's a bit of repetition but also some cool techniques. I hesitated at the regular ~$210 price here, but at basically 50% off it was fantastic value for money.

DBT85

I figured it was a nostalgia trip. One of the many embarrassing "oh that's different" moments I had getting back into Lego recently was the number bags.

I've got a small Fire Truck I might try that method out on.

Go for it! I just use the shipping boxes that S@H use and big enough to have a thin enough layer in the box.

Only use the boxes to prevent me knocking parts off the table and into the carpet monster.

DBT85

Ok, had to split in to 2 boxes. To keep things fair
not fair
every bag was emptied in to one box, mixed up and then half was scooped out and put in to the second box. So there should be a good mix in both! lol

4016 parts.

tOi9yak.png

lxzOoqd.png

landscape-1477385875-star-wars-c-3po-human-behaviour.gif

EDIt:

the first step asks you to find a 1x1 printed tile. What have I done.

DonShula

Heh, I thought about that and the two black rollers on that little droid thing.

Later you’ll enjoy looking for those translucent yellow studs.

Plum

EDIT:

the first step asks you to find a 1x1 printed tile. What have I done.

DBT85 right now:

whid1.gif

I finished Destiny's Bounty! Such a pretty ship! There's a bit of repetition but also some cool techniques. I hesitated at the regular ~$210 price here, but at basically 50% off it was fantastic value for money.

Yeah, £90 for 2,295 bricks and a bunch of figs to go with my modular street is pretty damn good value.

Does make me wonder why the set seems to be discounted so often on places like Amazon.

DBT85

Heh, I thought about that and the two black rollers on that little droid thing.

Later you’ll enjoy looking for those translucent yellow studs.
Ha. Believe it or not I found the rollers really fast!

Little annoying that the tiny printed tile is just put inside the droid never to be seen again.

That's as far as I've got so far. Yay parenthood!

I've allowed myself to remove all minifigure parts as I find them to stop any details getting marks while I'm rummaging and also the clear pieces for the TIE for the same reason.

Top Bottom