• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Sort of, as in he only appeared in the game Lego Batman 3 (he's also voice by Gilbert Godfried!).

Screen_shot_2014-07-24_at_5.41.28_PM.png

Interesting.

Reason I ask is a spoiler:

DHL/USPS taking their sweet time delivering my PAB order from a month ago. Last tracking info was it arriving in Memphis on 3/4. That is only a couple of hours away, and there is zero tracking after that. Very, very annoyed by that.

I knew the order would take a bit based on comments on here, but the sudden stop in tracking once it gets near my home is extremely frustrating.

For any Canadians who may be interested, Chapters has this little set for $4.95. It may be also be a promotional freebie. Sold out online atm, but my 2 locals stores are showing nearly 100 each.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/toys/my-lego-companion-minifigure/673419269315-item.html?ref=item_page%3Aspecialoffer%3A101426989

673419269315.jpg

Also, the Park Pack has been going to 50% off several times over the past couple of days on Amazon.ca

It was free with a $25 Lego purchase at the Chapters I went to. There was a salefor 20% off Lego there as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Might have missed it, but has anyone been to the DC superheroes Lego exhibition on the South bank in London? I go past nearly every day for work so I am curious, but all the posters and images make it look like 3D sculptures made out of Lego - a bit like 3D printing which doesn't interest me as personally I don't think it exhibits the same craft and imagination as 'traditional' building. I'm sure it's still artistic though.

I noticed three hours too late that the local sale here was now 50% off the sale price. The Death Star Final Duel and the city square was long gone. Moreover, the Kwik-e-Mart and Batcave had had a smaller sale, so they also qualified. Someone got the mart for around $90 and the cave for $130...

Anyway, managed to grab the Nexo volcano, Jestro's big vehicle, the Avenjet and the droid escape pod for around $80. Not too bad for parts. If I cared about reselling, I would get a bunch of RTT's for $20 each.

TheFuzz

Hey guys.... I've been absent from the thread lately working on some other things. I mentioned last month trying to finish up my new modular, but with less than 2 weeks until my wife gives birth to our son, it looks like I'm not going to have it finished.

I really wanted to have it done before he was born to show off and take pictures, but that ain't happening. Only party of the first floor interior is done, but I wanted to show two 'teaser' pics now in case it takes another month or two to finish.

This is my updated Police Station. You'll notice it's on a 48x32 footprint to accomodate garage for processing inmates. Pretty happy with this one. Hope you enjoy the appetizer for now!

15iYDE7.jpg

Full shot

oweCRsQ.jpg

Just some detailing.

DsO5r6w.jpg

View of roof access, still in progress.

WD4SEHj.jpg

Pretty happy with the stone texturing around the main doors. Those are a lot of stacked 2x1 hinge bricks folded closed to create the look.

Osahi

That's really cool! Wish I had the time, money and talent to create my own modulars too.

Congrats on the little one you have cooking too.

_Rob_

Congrats on the excuse to buy more Lego baby!

Seriously though nice work, if I didn't know I'd think it was an official part of the Modulars line. The handcuffs and folded hinges are particularly cool.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
That looks great, cant wait to see it finished!

Honestly surprised at this point TLG have managed to resist making an official Police Station modular. Might cannibalise City sales maybe?

ghostmind

TLG presented their annual report today, and while it was positive, there are signs that things are slowing down:

New investments in capacity, digital developments, sustainability initiatives and people lay the foundation to bring LEGO® play to even more children around the world in the future.

The LEGO Group today released its financial results for 2016, reporting the highest revenue in the company’s 85-year history.

2016 highlights:

Revenue for the full year increased by 6.0 percent in DKK to DKK 37.9 billion compared with DKK 35.8 billion for 2015.
Revenue for the full year increased 5.5 percent compared with 2015, excluding the impact of foreign currency exchange.
Operating profit (profit before financial items and tax) for 2016 was DKK 12.4 billion compared with DKK 12.2 billion for 2015, an increase of 1.7 percent year on year.
Net profit for the full year was DKK 9.4 billion compared with DKK 9.2 billion in 2015.
Cash flow from operating activities for the year was DKK 9.1 billion compared with DKK 10.6 billion in 2015.
Tax on profit for the year amounts to DKK 3.0 billion, unchanged from 2015.
Significant investments were made in building capacity and capability to deliver the group’s long-term growth ambition.
CEO, Bali Padda said, "We are satisfied with our performance in 2016. We had a strong first half of the year, while consumer sales growth in the second half was at more sustainable levels than previous years. We were encouraged by our performance in mature markets in Europe and continue to see strong potential in China, which represents an attractive growth opportunity.

In the US, consumer sales were flat year-on-year despite a significant increase in marketing spend in the second half of the year. We will continue to work closely with our retail partners to identify new opportunities to innovate, drive growth and engage children in this important market."

Hard to grow when you are at the top and sell building blocks. I'm simplifying things as LEGO obvious expanded into it's own IP and licensing, but they all essentially are based on the LEGO blocks. It's hard for LEGO not to eat into it's own sales by selling so much product that overlaps. Unless there is another baby boom soon or something, it will be extremely difficult for LEGO to continually grow sales in the U.S.

Is LEGO still the largest toy company based on revenue?

I've said it a few times, but in the last 12 months it really feels like TLG is diluting the brand across so many different themes without drawing in new consumers to buy them. Yes, the people who buy Architecture, Creator Expert & Dimensions could all theoretically greenfield customers but that's not the problem. Look at the themes they had in 2016 ignoring the "niche" ones (I'd include Duplo, Advanced, Architecture, Ideas, Juniors & Technic as "niche" lines).

Bionicle
City
Creator
DC
Disney Princesses
Elves
Friends
Marvel
Minecraft
Mixels
Nexo Knights
Ninjago
Speed Champions
Star Wars
The Angry Birds

That's an incredible amount of products released that are all targeting essentially the same demographic of boys & girls.

ghostmind

These are the top-selling themes in 2016:

GMRO3MM.jpg

Also very interesting that the LEGO R&D group continues to work on their "next-gen" sustainable bricks, but retail availability is still a long way out.

CXmTZ5S.jpg

ghostmind

Close-up of the Wonder Woman minifig that is included with the LEGO DC Super Heroes Awesome Guide book:

R43P47Z.jpg

First look at the Grandmaster minifig (albeit with some mismatched parts) from the Thor Ragnarok sets:

HvjkBLq.jpg

Hopefully the colors are more vibrant, to match the film version.

Ponn

Banned

OMG. I am so in love with this set, I just have no words. Wait, yes I do. I know to some it may seem weird but I am really truly excited for this set. I skimmed over that extensive review because I really didn't want to spoil myself too much on it as silly as that sounds for a Lego set. From what I saw though I feel like they really put a lot of love and care into this set and did I read that correctly no stickers??!! I have wanted a Lego ghost ship ever since those leaked Monster Fighters sketches and this set seems to be delivering in spades. I'm getting this day one no doubt and i'm going to force myself to build it as soon as the delivery guy hands it to me. I'm calling it now, this is going to be my set of the year to beat, I CHALLENGE YOU LEGO PEOPLE!

edit: I'm also really digging that WW fig. It really looks like she stole Deathstrokes outfit and is playing a prank on him.

ghostmind

I'm not seeing it, futuristic knights is a pretty generic concept and that's where the similarities end to me

How about futuristic knights with holograms in their armor and shields that grant them special abilities (and in Visionaries case the ability to turn into creatures as well), granted by a Merlyn variant (Merklynn vs Merlok)? And that they drive around in futuristic medieval vehicles that can also be powered-up by these hologram powers.

Osahi

OMG. I am so in love with this set, I just have no words. Wait, yes I do. I know to some it may seem weird but I am really truly excited for this set. I skimmed over that extensive review because I really didn't want to spoil myself too much on it as silly as that sounds for a Lego set. From what I saw though I feel like they really put a lot of love and care into this set and did I read that correctly no stickers??!! I have wanted a Lego ghost ship ever since those leaked Monster Fighters sketches and this set seems to be delivering in spades. I'm getting this day one no doubt and i'm going to force myself to build it as soon as the delivery guy hands it to me. I'm calling it now, this is going to be my set of the year to beat, I CHALLENGE YOU LEGO PEOPLE!

edit: I'm also really digging that WW fig. It really looks like she stole Deathstrokes outfit and is playing a prank on him.

yeah. skimming that review made the set grow on me. Might first see the movie though, and I'l want to see the set IRL too, but it's definitely on the maybe-list now.

wetwired

These are the top-selling themes in 2016:

GMRO3MM.jpg

Also very interesting that the LEGO R&D group continues to work on their "next-gen" sustainable bricks, but retail availability is still a long way out.

CXmTZ5S.jpg

What's this from? is there any more info? keen to read about the sustainable plastic research

wetwired

From the TLG press conference on annual results of 2016.
The full annual report is not yet out (that PDF doc with all the numbers)
https://www.lego.com/de-de/aboutus/news-room/2017/march/annual-results-2016-od-video/

Cheers. I'm keen to see how the sustainable plastic works out, looks like they're off to a good start.

I've made some progress on my lenticular mosiac, it'd difficult to photograph but here's a pic from either side. This is 11 out of 16 32x32 baseplates so there's 5 more to go. Seems to take about 1.5 hours on average to do each plate. It's pretty tedious, especially when you make mistakes and have to redo sections (or fuckup and order the quantity of green that you actually needed for dark green and run short)

ijqT46U.jpg

Also unveiled today is the Speed Champions 75880 McLaren 720s, which will be released this summer.

That's very nice. Those cars are insane. There are a bunch of Mclaren drivers in my town and they always attract a crowd.

As a child of the 80's, I was on a Hasbro toy commercial binge this past week, and I came across a remarkable similarity that had not occurred to me earlier. How convenient then that Hoth Bricks decided to put up an article this week on that same similarity.

I never thought of that before...I still have my old Visionary toys - that's a serious coincidence if it truly wasn't intentional.

Ponn

Banned
Has anyone here actually got the new Arkham Asylum set? If so what were your impressions on it? I was going to wait till it finally hit Amazon and then get it on sale or in an AWD but I stupidly thought it was a D2C set when its actually a TRU exclusive so this will probably never see a sale. Thinking of picking it up during double vip.

ghostmind

For some reason the box art is different for the Silent Mary, depending on region...

EU/UK:
BBJlM1G.jpg

NA:
vDxoUmg.jpg

Why go to the trouble of moving the sharks? Different box size?

I built the Catwoman set (not the shop though because eh) and the Riddler set. And I've got to say - man, these figures are awesome! I'm finding that the entire TLBM line has great figures with tons and tons of detail. It's almost even worth the extra cost for the CMFs.

Calendar Man joins the WTF? line of villains and I don't know about Magpie, who I mainly just wanted parts from. Riddler is great though, and then there's Kite Man who's completely awesome. I love his face.

As for the rest, Catwoman and Batgirl are both great and it's neat to have Robin as well (got the CMF civilian version and the Scuttler version waiting). There's a slight problem with the skin tone being dark against the plastic on the women, but it's fine.

A small observation is that it's weird that they made a separate anti-bar connected ponytail for Batgirl, when they just recently made another dark red ponytail for Macy, but with a bar connection. Since Batgirl has a custom mask, they could have made it so that both used the same piece.

The car looks nice and has a bunch of parts I don't really need, so it can stay together. I think I'll need to put it aside until I get more space though, since it doesn't really justify such a huge footprint in my display.

DonShula

Welp, I purchased the Palace Cinema. I didn't have to choose between it and the Parisian Restaurant because only one of them was in stock. Normally I'd start building it immediately, but I have to choose between it and Zelda now...

Welp, I purchased the Palace Cinema. I didn't have to choose between it and the Parisian Restaurant because only one of them was in stock. Normally I'd start building it immediately, but I have to choose between it and Zelda now...
Zelda. I have Assembly Square waiting until Zelda is done. Well, that is what I am saying for now.

Yep that's probably going to be it. 30 hours into Zelda and it's not old yet.
I lied. I opened Assembly Square and am building now while listening to old LPs. Sounds more relaxing. I was so tense the other night after the first Divine Beast in Zelda.

And no idea how many hours I am into Zelda. Probably wasted like 8 or so hours dicking around and wandering into parts of the overworld I have ZERO reason to be in. Enemies look at me the wrong way and I die.

Top Bottom