• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Just a reminder, all BN stores in the US should be doing LEGO Batman build events tomorrow (Saturday). It is a make and take event, so you get to keep the mini model you build.

It is supposed to be a mini speed wagon build, and different from this one:
30521-1.jpg

Some good SNOT stuff in the build, so free parts!

oneHeero

Hey Gaf - I was wondering if anyone has a IG account that is Lego related (however much) and if so would you care to share?

I post some Lego related pics and looking to add others. I follow a good 5-10 people who post Lego stuff regularly.

Feel free to add me - G35UW is my IG name

Hey Gaf - I was wondering if anyone has a IG account that is Lego related (however much) and if so would you care to share?

I post some Lego related pics and looking to add others. I follow a good 5-10 people who post Lego stuff regularly.

Mine is bentbricks, but I've been mostly missing in action for a long time as family and responsiblity are eating up my time lately. There is a great LEGO community on Instagram. Photos on Instagram tend to be more minifig photos and less about MOCs.

wetwired

Wallercustoms for me. I started as only my custom minifigs but just put shit I build now plus random pics

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheers. I'm keen to see how the sustainable plastic works out, looks like they're off to a good start.

I've made some progress on my lenticular mosiac, it'd difficult to photograph but here's a pic from either side. This is 11 out of 16 32x32 baseplates so there's 5 more to go. Seems to take about 1.5 hours on average to do each plate. It's pretty tedious, especially when you make mistakes and have to redo sections (or fuckup and order the quantity of green that you actually needed for dark green and run short)

ijqT46U.jpg

That is crazy. How big overall?

Would have been ideal for the DC Lego exhibition in London to have mounted on the wall :)

Ryuuroden

I lied. I opened Assembly Square and am building now while listening to old LPs. Sounds more relaxing. I was so tense the other night after the first Divine Beast in Zelda.

And no idea how many hours I am into Zelda. Probably wasted like 8 or so hours dicking around and wandering into parts of the overworld I have ZERO reason to be in. Enemies look at me the wrong way and I die.

Ive been playing a lot of Horizon Zero Dawn. sooo gooood.

rokkerkory

Cheers. I'm keen to see how the sustainable plastic works out, looks like they're off to a good start.

I've made some progress on my lenticular mosiac, it'd difficult to photograph but here's a pic from either side. This is 11 out of 16 32x32 baseplates so there's 5 more to go. Seems to take about 1.5 hours on average to do each plate. It's pretty tedious, especially when you make mistakes and have to redo sections (or fuckup and order the quantity of green that you actually needed for dark green and run short)

ijqT46U.jpg

omg I would so buy this!!

Spent a couple of hours building The Scuttler, and this thing is AMAZING. There's so much detail that it pretty much doesn't look like Lego, but more like a highly detailed replica (which it kind of is). I expect a lot of fun posing it and taking pictures too.

The figures are great too. Batman and Joker are pretty much the same as the tiny set, and we have a pretty similar Gordon in the CMF line. Barbara looks amazing though, and Poison Ivy... man, it's quite likely that TWO of my favourite figures this year will be her. Amazing print all over (even on one of the arms in addition to dual molding) and a fantastic new hairpiece that I would love to see reused.

I was going to get it eventually, but I'm happy that I managed to grab it at 30% off this early. Unlike the other vehicles from the movie, this is both extremely complex and extremely pretty to look at.

Made the Arctic Roller tonight with Arlo, what a glorious vehicle; Shame there wasn't another villain to supplement Penguin but the car itself is brilliant

namtab37

Neo Member

ijqT46U.jpg
Where did you get the instructions for something like this?

oneHeero

Mine is bentbricks, but I've been mostly missing in action for a long time as family and responsiblity are eating up my time lately. There is a great LEGO community on Instagram. Photos on Instagram tend to be more minifig photos and less about MOCs.

Wallercustoms for me. I started as only my custom minifigs but just put shit I build now plus random pics
Added both! Hopefully y'all don't mind adding me back! If you look at my page you'll find my Lego pics. The captions are lyrics from songs I like.

wetwired

Well, 4x4 baseplates makes it 1 square meter...

Yeah 1m square

omg I would so buy this!!

It's not cheap to make, would be even more to buy given the time it's taken to make.

Where did you get the instructions for something like this?

I designed it myself. Using photoshop and the lego palette of colours. I removed some colours that were very similar to other colours and colours that were prohibitively expensive.

I'd make some changes if I was to do it again. Improve the accuracy of colours in photoshop and remove some colours that are similar even more so

Attn: Canadians

Mastermind Toys has 20% off several sets including many licensed themes. Local stores also have a discretionary selection of sets at 30% off. My local one has the U-Wing, Kylo's Shuttle, a few other mid-sized SW sets and the DC Super Hero Girls Batgirl set (which takes it down to a reasonable $25).

Spent a couple of hours building The Scuttler, and this thing is AMAZING. There's so much detail that it pretty much doesn't look like Lego, but more like a highly detailed replica (which it kind of is). I expect a lot of fun posing it and taking pictures too.

I really enjoyed the build but didn't find the model as pose-able as I would have liked actually. I need to try and get some good shots of to see if I'm missing anything.

Question for all - how do you store licensed figs? Specifically, when the collection gets to be of a decent size? I'm sure most SW collectors have more than I do (around 375) but do you separate them?

I keep thinking I'll put together a display but I don't see it happening.

Working on bag 3 of Assembly Square. Just built the tables for outside the cafe. I had the same thought I did when putting the windows in the bakery.
WTF, Jamie Berard? Seriously. What an asshole. Using those few pieces in a stupidly simple way to get that look or effect? I hate you in the best way possible.
I mean, it isn't the same jolt as the water tower on Detective's Office, but close.

Seriously. What a jerk. And that dome going in upside down so cleanly on top of the bakery door?

Ugh. Let's see what else this jerk throws at me to make me feel like I know nothing about building.

None of this is a complaint, BTW.

wetwired

Finished plate 12 of 16 tonight. Being short on dark green cheese slopes I went with some used ones I had in my collection while I wait for the ones I ordered to show up, big mistake, they literally fall out if I turn the mosaic upside-down. I didn't think used bricks would make that much of a difference in regards to clutch power

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Finished plate 12 of 16 tonight. Being short on dark green cheese slopes I went with some used ones I had in my collection while I wait for the ones I ordered to show up, big mistake, they literally fall out if I turn the mosaic upside-down. I didn't think used bricks would make that much of a difference in regards to clutch power

lord-business-and-the-kragle.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Attn: Canadians
Question for all - how do you store licensed figs? Specifically, when the collection gets to be of a decent size? I'm sure most SW collectors have more than I do (around 375) but do you separate them?

I keep thinking I'll put together a display but I don't see it happening.
I've resisted the Star Wars sets for years so I dont have much of a MF collection but here's all my licensed stuff. Bought the cabinet in a supermarket a month or so ago. It's FAR too big, but im having a lot of fun filling it with new stuff as I get it.

All my basic figs are separated into torso/head/etc drawers but ive a big box of CMFs that are kept separate. Toying with the idea of throwing them all in the cabinet too.

So after a good month of building on and off with this thing (yes i know i'm super slow) i am finally done with the SSD!!!

What a marvelous ship!! I know this one gets quite a bit of flak for not being as showy as the UCS ISD or other UCS sets and i was skeptical at first too because i thought it looks kinda boring to be honest. But building this thing in person changed my mind, the sheer SCOPE of this thing is where it's at!! It's freaking HUGE, and when you build it part by part you become aware of the actual size of this ship, it is the very definition of a Capital ship!

I mean, the amount of greebling on this thing, it looks almost like a flying city and i believe that is the effect the designers wanted to achieve. This thing dwarves EVERY other official Lego starship (and Pirate ship for that matter)

When putting on the final side panels, things got tense for a moment because i almost messed it up and broke off a part of the ship lol. So glad when it all came together in the end.

It fights perfectly into my main display here and it will be staying there for a LONG time :)

SSD Picture bomb incoming!

duiopHE.jpg

hJqYVhn.jpg

MTvzgwy.jpg

awwOZXQ.jpg

LgQWvJj.jpg

In case you forget about the scale, this cute little regular ISD will remind you...

myF0Ktg.jpg

So after a good month of building on and off with this thing (yes i know i'm super slow) i am finally done with the SSD!!!

What a marvelous ship!! I know this one gets quite a bit of flak for not being as showy as the UCS ISD or other UCS sets and i was skeptical at first too because i thought it looks kinda boring to be honest. But building this thing in person changed my mind, the sheer SCOPE of this thing is where it's at!! It's freaking HUGE, and when you build it part by part you become aware of the actual size of this ship, it is the very definition of a Capital ship!

I mean, the amount of greebling on this thing, it looks almost like a flying city and i believe that is the effect the designers wanted to achieve. This thing dwarves EVERY other official Lego starship (and Pirate ship for that matter)

When putting on the final side panels, things got tense for a moment because i almost messed it up and broke off a part of the ship lol. So glad when it all came together in the end.

It fights perfectly into my main display here and it will be staying there for a LONG time :)

duiopHE.jpg

hJqYVhn.jpg

MTvzgwy.jpg

awwOZXQ.jpg

LgQWvJj.jpg

In case you forget about the scale, this cute little regular ISD will remind you...

myF0Ktg.jpg

It's cool, but it looks really lonely on that self. You should wallpaper the shelf (every side) with black or maybe a star field if you can find a poster to cut to size.

duiopHE.jpg

hJqYVhn.jpg

MTvzgwy.jpg

awwOZXQ.jpg

LgQWvJj.jpg

myF0Ktg.jpg
The thing with that set is it gets huge fast. Like less than 20 steps. The panels at the end were stress inducing, as was putting it on the stands.

Osahi

I'd love to see a close up of the mozaic to see how it 'works'. You only use cheese slopes right? And you have for instance the even rows for Batman and the uneven for Joker? I have difficulties wrapping my head around how this actually works.

Cool stuff nonetheless!

wetwired

I'd love to see a close up of the mozaic to see how it 'works'. You only use cheese slopes right? And you have for instance the even rows for Batman and the uneven for Joker? I have difficulties wrapping my head around how this actually works.

Cool stuff nonetheless!

That's precisely how it works. I basically took the images I wanted into photoshop, made a custom palette of the lego colours I wanted to use and then overlaid them on top of each other, so one row is joker, one is batman, repeat.

Here's the stack of baseplates up close

Only two more plates to go

I think I might need to make some adjustments when I'm done though, I'm worried batman's forehead on his cowl gets lost against the white background

Got

Banned
The final parts for the TAS Batmobile arrived today so I finished putting together my LACK-based lightbox and took some pics, quite happy with how it turned out, the lightbox and the batmobile.

gotta ask as It was a pleasure building your og tumbler. You gonna link to instructions and a parts list for this?

Markus

For any Canadians, Walmart.ca just put 70904 Clayface Splat Attack on Rollback for C$35.86, so I guess this will be its new price for the rest of it's run.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/batman-movie-clayface-splat-attack-70904/6000196457926

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I came across 70709 online at Chapters.ca for C$103+taxes on sale, which seems to be about the going sold price on eBay.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/toys/70709-lego-galaxy-squad-galactic/673419190602-item.html?ikwid=lego&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=28

iosefe

Today I learned you can fit a minifigure inside the zombie sharks that come with the Silent Mary. Dress legs too.

Also built that Y-Wing, which was a thing of beauty

Today I learned you can fit a minifigure inside the zombie sharks that come with the Silent Mary. Dress legs too.

Also built that Y-Wing, which was a thing of beauty

Yeah, those big sharks are awesome for that. The giant mechashark in the Ultra Agents set is great for that.

wetwired

ahhh, too bad. oh well. hopefully Lego decides to do a version of the Animated Series Batmobile as an official set.

Sorry I misread that as pertaining to the mosaic, I thought it was a bit crazy to ask for instructions for that :)

I WILL eventually, just gonna give it some time til the movie is out everywhere

Got

Banned
Sorry I misread that as pertaining to the mosaic, I thought it was a bit crazy to ask for instructions for that :)

I WILL eventually, just gonna give it some time til the movie is out everywhere

haha, oh yeah, no way on the mosaic, that thing is awesome but I have no patience or that. Yeah, i love the Animated Series Batmobile. My favorite version really. I'd kill for Lego to do a series based on the Animated Series.

Ponn

Banned
You all should be ashamed talking about such vile things. This is supposed to be a clean, wholesome family friendly thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
for such a core plot point of the lego movie, it was a very local reference - never heard of krazy glue and therefore had no idea what kraggle was.

Ponn

Banned
Found an early video review of Silent Mary on youtube, not familiar with them but credit is to Brickvault.

Hype levels reaching dangerous levels. Even bigger than I initially thought from those NY TF pics. Those zombie sharks are out of this world good and I love Salazar's hair piece. Lots of love and detail went into this set. Since this is only one set for the movie I wonder how long it will be made available for? Regardless I am definitely picking this up at midnight on the 17th at S@H.

Found an early video review of Silent Mary on youtube, not familiar with them but credit is to Brickvault.

Hype levels reaching dangerous levels. Even bigger than I initially thought from those NY TF pics. Those zombie sharks are out of this world good and I love Salazar's hair piece. Lots of love and detail went into this set. Since this is only one set for the movie I wonder how long it will be made available for? Regardless I am definitely picking this up at midnight on the 17th at S@H.

Decisions... should I pick this on the 17th or wait April 1st for the mini VW.....?

namtab37

Neo Member
That's precisely how it works. I basically took the images I wanted into photoshop, made a custom palette of the lego colours I wanted to use and then overlaid them on top of each other, so one row is joker, one is batman, repeat.

Here's the stack of baseplates up close

Only two more plates to go

I think I might need to make some adjustments when I'm done though, I'm worried batman's forehead on his cowl gets lost against the white background
If you are ever willing to sell instructions for that let me know! That is the best thing I have seen in a long time!

Ponn

Banned
Decisions... should I pick this on the 17th or wait April 1st for the mini VW.....?

I can't wait till the 1st now, plus I don't want to risk it going backorder. I will just have to make another purchase on the 1st for the VW. Probably a couple brick heads and either the Landspeeder or A-Wing. Really hoping they extend double VIP for at least one day.

My review of current 10K IDEAS projects:
Iron Giant – Fantastic project. Would buy, but it's demographic is small.
Ship in a Bottle – Highly original and very likely to be made if recent trends are any indication
VW Golf GTI Mark 1 – the model is great and it be awesome alongside the Beetle and Camper from the Creator series but there is already an existing license, which is a traditional reason to reject projects. Also I don' think it's as iconic as the other two.
UCS Rey's Speeder – The model is great but no Star Wars IDEAS projects will ever been approved.
Red Dwarf LEGO -- questionable whether it has widespread appeal. Model is not particularly remarkable. Gut says no.
LEGO Modular Store -- the edifice is nice, but the concept would look out of place on Modular Road.
1950's Diner – neat little project. The interior is fantastic. I wish it gets made, but I don't think it has wide appeal.
Boat Repair Shop – would look fantastic next to the Old Fishing Store. I can't see why they wouldn't make this, especially if the Old Fishing Store sells well.
Vintage Tram – it's a nice model. Personally I wouldn't buy it and not sure whether it has widespread appeal.
Landrover 4x4 – Pretty hard to justify considering IDEAS rejected a superior Land cruiser model last year.
Hulkbuster UCS – I can't see this being made. Disney, etc.
Marvel Agents of Shield – See above.

Top Bottom