• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Oh wow you're right. The lower quality is hot made this look like a really simple set, but seeing the details it looks like it'll be a really cool build.

Much more interested in it now!

Yeah, the main section seen there is almost all SNOT to get the rounded look. I really want to see the bottom half of the rocket now, because that will probably have some cool touches too.

tuffy

SEEKING: Technic advice.

I'm craving it again. Aside from the Arocs and the Porsche, what's the best wheel-based set released in the last few years? All I want is a car but it's all tractors and construction stuff. Not that that's bad, really, but those sets need to be quite special to warrant a purchase. So, anyone have any recommendations? Not bothered about price or piece-count, just something fun with some nice moving parts.

Failing that I might get the 40th anniversary sets and do that 1-in-3 build, but we'll see!
The Mercedes Arocs is a lot of fun to put together, offers a ton of power functions once it's assembled, and features a lot of fancy moving parts all over the build. It even looks more like a proper truck rather than a spartan construction vehicle.

Markus

I'm craving it again. Aside from the Arocs and the Porsche, what's the best wheel-based set released in the last few years? All I want is a car but it's all tractors and construction stuff. Not that that's bad, really, but those sets need to be quite special to warrant a purchase.

Set #8110 - Unimog U400. It's what got me back into LEGO and I really enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ8oPh5QE-8

I'm craving it again. Aside from the Arocs and the Porsche, what's the best wheel-based set released in the last few years? All I want is a car but it's all tractors and construction stuff. Not that that's bad, really, but those sets need to be quite special to warrant a purchase. So, anyone have any recommendations? Not bothered about price or piece-count, just something fun with some nice moving parts.

Failing that I might get the 40th anniversary sets and do that 1-in-3 build, but we'll see!

Was going to recommend 42039 24 Hours Race Car, but it looks like it's retired.

So this has to be a scam right?

FAkBEEN.jpg

Was going to recommend 42039 24 Hours Race Car, but it looks like it's retired.

Was actually just looking at that set myself, the second build looks good too. It doesn't seem to be too expensive either (well, sort of) because I guess Technic doesn't appreciate in value quite as much as regular LEGO does. May go for it

The Unimog looks nice but it also looks a bit like a baby Arocs, which I loved but I just want something a bit different!

I've just been buying lego sets because i feel like i need to buy something lately or see something on sale, and not because I actually personally wanted the sets. Think I've crossed the line where I need to force myself to stop cause that type of buying is danagerous.

Nah, that's just like a slow tuesday in this thread...

Seriously though, i know what that feels like and i guess for me it's somewhat a mix of those 2 factors plus me actually still wanting a set at that particular time. I often won't get around to building them so they go in the backlog :(

Since Lego has been stepping up their game and overall catalogue across multiple themes so much the last years it's becoming increasingly hard to resist buying stuff on sale that you have no time (or money) for.

Ponn

Banned
Jamie Berard is wobbling around in that Silent Mary designer video intro.

Almost as if he was riding a Fairground attraction...

A working Elephant Ear maker and he's going into a sugar high.

I would be surprised if they started the Fairground theme back up, that would be kinda weird they skipped a year. I won't complain though, a couple sets i'd like to see still like a Bumper car rink or a Gravitron.

TheSun

Sheesh, the last lego set I bought was a Star Wars episode three set.

Gotta mini Vader out of it.

If I were to come back they should remake the life on mars set. You got mechas and everything. Though those Martians were seriously early lego designed. Their crappy arms broke easily, though that could be because of my childhood recklessness.

Ponn

Banned
Sorry if posted already but saw this on my youtube feed.

Brickshow with Wonder Woman set reveal images

edit: Spoilered what may be a poorly kept secret that hasn't been shown in trailers yet. Another Giant Man situation so be warned I guess.

I don't have pics to post, if this is new i'm sure Ghostmind or someone will be on the ball in a bit. As far as the set, wow, WOW! I've been pretty disappointed in super hero sets for this year outside of TLBM sets but wow, that looks like a nice set. Love the shield design on WW, love the accessories for her to add a cape and hood, love the Chris Pine Trevor fig and that old time plane build looks really good. The icing on the cake is that
Ares "big fig'. You knew damn well Lego wasn't going to let that Giant Man build be a one and done thing. Love the detail on Area and that helmet,
cannot wait for May 1st now, going to have a big May the 4th order now.

Ponn

Banned
Haha, I was trying to be spoiler sensitive but Ghostmind just waltzes in and force pushes it right out there. I'm jk. I really don't know how people were going to avoid that particular spoiler and I expect him to be in one of the trailers soon.

after Ares, i wonder what the next Brick-Built Fig could be

Darksied?

Darkseid doesn't really grow like that so probably not. Apocalypse would have been a good one, but you know, X-men bullshit. Maybe celestials if they get involved in Infinity War? Those would be pretty baddass to have. Galactus would be a given, but again MCU fuckery means that won't happen. I'd still be interested in knowing for sure what is holding Lego back from Marvel sets based on comics (for certain characters not Spidey) besides the need to tie everything into movie releases. Give me a FF building set with Fantasticar, the FF figs, the kids and H.E.R.B.I.E. and a Galactus giant fig build for like $200. Insta buy!

They were linked to earlier, but I'll post them here.

989IbrW.jpg

b4N0nqy.jpg

Completely serious here, but getting potential top 3 sets of the year vibes here. That brick built figure looks amazing and will probably put Ant Man to shame. And looks to be in the sweet Super Hero spot of $30 or less.

SCORE! Double VIP, exclusive R2 poly bag, AND mini Milano in one order?

nSxSwa.gif

EDIT: Crap, just looked at fine print on Milano. BAH! But double VIP and R2 on same order? My previous GIF still stands!

Completely serious here, but getting potential top 3 sets of the year vibes here. That brick built figure looks amazing and will probably put Ant Man to shame. And looks to be in the sweet Super Hero spot of $30 or less.

nSxSwa.gif

EDIT: Crap, just looked at fine print on Milano. BAH! But double VIP and R2 on same order? My previous GIF still stands!

Hmmm. Double VIP and I need to buy a Star Wars set to get R2? Maybe I'll just go slightly over the necessary limit and get myself a little Death Star now that the recent big sets have been disappointments...

Also, today I had my first broken piece in recent history. I started building on a brand new 32x32 tan baseplate and noticed that one corner was chipped off, taking off an entire stud. Oh well, I guess Lego will replace it no problem and I had two spares.

ghostmind

nSxSwa.gif

Also 50 bonus VIP points on 75171 and 75172 throughout May, so triple stack potential.

Ryuuroden

Here are the teaser pics I was talking about earlier. Not a whole lot has been done besides establishing the baseplates it will be built on

The below shows the expanded land front to the outer ring wall and gate and back behind the tower for the desolation scene. I want to have scenes from all the movies/book parts.

Expanded Orthanc and Isengard by Brendan M, on Flickr

The picture below is the layout size for the Isengard mines that will be below the tan parts of the above picture. They will sit on a lower level table built to sit under the larger 4 foot by 8 foot table the above is sitting on. It will have all sorts of orchish mining and forging and breeding pits. I will be adding power functions and lighting all over as well. The brick outline is what matches the space on the top table which will be cut out for me to have open mine holes that go to the caves will scafolding and water wheels to power the equipment and such.

Isengard Mines and Forges by Brendan M, on Flickr

EDIT: Bring it on Brent, I'll make caves to rival your batcave :p

Ryuuroden

^^

good lord...

i ain't even shocked by those 2 green grocers, that's the least of my concern looking at all that ;)

Yeah, got lots of work to do. I am only doing 3 48 plates wide of the outer wall but it will still take a lot of black bricks since it will be 24 bricks high and the gate higher plus lots of snot on the wall to mimic the bottom of orthanc. I have 500 of those large mountainside panels to mix in the cave area to save bricks but ill still need to use a lot of regular bricks and plates and wedges and slopes in various rock and earth tones. And then populate it with all sorts of orcworks.

Ryuuroden

You are Will Ferrell in The Lego Movie.

What is the gigantic gray thing on the corner of the table by the auto shop (which looks pretty cool BTW)?

It is part of the wing and one engine of a giant flying dieselpunk airship slash battlecruiser that is my other project. The wing you see you there goes vertically under the main hull of the airship. That is one of the eight planned engines for the ship. It is kind of hard to describe what it will look like when finished because that is just a prototype wing and engine. It is sure to change maybe quite a bit before the whole project is done in a couple years.

DonShula

It is part of the wing and one engine of a giant flying dieselpunk airship slash battlecruiser that is my other project. The wing you see you there goes vertically under the main hull of the airship. That is one of the eight planned engines for the ship. It is kind of hard to describe what it will look like when finished because that is just a prototype wing and engine. It is sure to change maybe quite a bit before the whole project is done in a couple years.

That sounds absolutely massive. I'd use the appropriate jaw-drop emoji if I could.

Ponn

Banned
But where's the dead body on the windshield?

And how are you liking the build? The more I think of the set, the more I love it.

Definitely my number one set so far this year. The build was fun, just lots of fun. reminded me of the fun I had building Sea Cow. It was something different and unique especially with that rib cage hull build. Not sure we will get something like this again for a long time so i'm kinda glad my build of it got drawn out.

Being a big LoTR fan myself I love your work so much Ryuuroden, you have all my Lego pieces. I live my LoTR mocing life vicariously through you. Love the competition but I love Batman as much as LoTR so I can't pick a side. But I will gladly sit on the sidelines and watch the results.

Here are the teaser pics I was talking about earlier. Not a whole lot has been done besides establishing the baseplates it will be built on

The below shows the expanded land front to the outer ring wall and gate and back behind the tower for the desolation scene. I want to have scenes from all the movies/book parts.

The picture below is the layout size for the Isengard mines that will be below the tan parts of the above picture. They will sit on a lower level table built to sit under the larger 4 foot by 8 foot table the above is sitting on. It will have all sorts of orchish mining and forging and breeding pits. I will be adding power functions and lighting all over as well. The brick outline is what matches the space on the top table which will be cut out for me to have open mine holes that go to the caves will scafolding and water wheels to power the equipment and such.

Starting to look like the basement of the guy in The LEGO Movie.

wetwired

Expanded Orthanc and Isengard by Brendan M, on Flickr

Isengard Mines and Forges by Brendan M, on Flickr

I think my batcave was only 96 wide by I think 48 or 64 deep. So you're already bigger than mine. My new cave I'm working on will be 96 square but much taller. But you'll still beat that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a UK version of that calendar? Want to know the qualification for that R2. He'll go nicely with my UCS and the minifig one. Although if I have to buy a SW set I'll struggle as nothing is grabbing me right now (come on UCS falcon)

Thinking to buy the architecture London skyline set for a tiny Big Ben to go with my modded architecture Big Ben and maybe the big one too. What else is available in three scales in Lego?

Top Bottom